• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The dance sequences were just so... fantastic.

ibyl7wnP1NW9d1.gif

imAlCsDzwKQry.gif

14752045481_2da2c7d945_o.gif

14568556640_772ac86fd5_o.gif

ib1cEttOcDEDvo.gif

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So what's the consensus on season 1 (didn't even know there was a 2nd season)? Worthy of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo's legacies? I'd like to give it a watch.

Crocodile

So what's the consensus on season 1 (didn't even know there was a 2nd season)? Worthy of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo's legacies? I'd like to give it a watch.

The show is EXCELLENT but it's NOTHING like Bebop or Champloo so be sure to check your expectations. It's mostly a comedy show which each episode essentially taking place in an alternate reality. The individual episode directors and animators are given A LOT of freedom and leeway so the topics and even animation styles can vary wildly. As such, many people prefer specific episodes much more than others (which vary person to person). Pretty much everybody can agree though that as the show progresses, the overall quality only continues to rise.

duckroll

Episode 17

Wow. Yeah. These two weeks basically highlighted exactly why I look forward to Dandy every week even with ups and downs. It's just so creative you never know exactly what to expect. Fantastic take on the high school musical theme here. Amazing designs and animation too. This season Dandy seems to be firing on all cylinders. Viva viva viva all~

What I love about this show is that (in terms of total non-continuity and willingness to try just about any type of plot) it reminds me of Looney Tunes, but at a consistent level of concept-to-execution quality nearing Duck Amuck/What's Opera, Doc? and much, much smarter writing. Stellar animation, too.

That was incredible. This season is great. Things like this fantastic episode are why I love this show and can't wait for each new episode, its like a box of chocolates, you never know what to expect.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Space Dandy 17
I wasn't really big on this. I find parody to be pretty boring and this felt like the most rote interpretation of what it was spinning off of. I appreciate that they were willing to even do a take on musicals but the simplistic choreography and set dressings really bored me, and because this was essentially a spit take the adherence to standards set by cliches muted just how weird Space Dandy as a series can get. I feel like if they were going to parody this setting targeting something from the time period of Grease would have been a better fit for Dandy, but maybe Japanese people don't really have much familiarity with that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know what the best gag was that nobody picked up?

Turns out the 'homely' girl actually was hot, Dandy seeing the 3_3 was just Dandy being Dandy.

Somehow this is even funnier considering Dandy sees the "hotness" even across species, like fish-headed aliens.

A lot of stuff in the show makes me wonder how much of what is visually represented on screen is purely Dandy lying to himself about what's in front of him.

Gazoinks

Somehow this is even funnier considering Dandy sees the "hotness" even across species, like fish-headed aliens.

A lot of stuff in the show makes me wonder how much of what is visually represented on screen is purely Dandy lying to himself about what's in front of him.

Last episode it turns out he's an inmate at an asylum and the whole show was in his head.

Neoxon

As someone who loves musicals, this was probably my favorite episode of Space Dandy ever.

Where can I download the music?

Turns out the 'homely' girl actually was hot, Dandy seeing the 3_3 was just Dandy being Dandy.

I assumed it was part of her "blossoming". Amazing episode all around. It was nice to hear Ian Sinclair's musical chops, makes me more excited in anticipation of hearing him as Brook in One Piece.

Also loved the line "please go home and smack your parents"

Neoxon

I assumed it was part of her "blossoming". Amazing episode all around. It was nice to hear Ian Sinclair's musical chops, makes me more excited in anticipation of hearing him as Brook in One Piece.

That line had me in stitches. I seriously need to download the music. When will it hit iTunes?

sonicmj1

I thought that was just a callback to 90s high school movies like "She's All That" or "10 Things I Hate About You" where the unpopular girl turns out to be a real beauty deep down.

Seda

Didn't post my reactions in here for the last few weeks, but generally I just look forward to expecting something varied and different every week. It's a fun show in that regard. Episode 16 was amusingly creative, and while I'm not the biggest fan of musicals, this one was entertaining with a multitude of references/parodies, and fun to see the voice actors' ability to sing.

Are there any ways to watch the dub of this show online?

Here if you (or somebody you can mooch from) have a cable provider login that supports it: http://video.adultswim.com/space-dandy/. It's not the full series though - it has the 5 trailing episodes (although sometimes they screw this up) and then selected 4 others. It's either that or on-demand services.

Funimation's site has the subtitled version.

I dropped off this show at episode 7.

Pick it back up?

In my opinion honestly the show has been very hit or miss and some episodes aren't good at all but on the other hand since episode 7 there have been some fantastic episodes that I think makes absolutely worth picking back up.

As someone who loves musicals, this was probably my favorite episode of Space Dandy ever.

Where can I download the music?

I'm not sure but I found a youtube video of the last song to hold you over

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5fziONXYU

Jarmel

Banned
I thought that was just a callback to 90s high school movies like "She's All That" or "10 Things I Hate About You" where the unpopular girl turns out to be a real beauty deep down.

Well they already played on that expectation when Dandy pulled the glasses off. So it was a reversal of the parody done earlier.

Just finished watching. Haven't had such a stupid grin on my face in a while. Definitely my favorite episode.
BEEMA ALL, BEEMA BEEMA BEEMA BEEMA ALL

duckroll

Next week's episode looks really cool too: http://space-dandy.com/episode/18/

Kiyotaka Oshiyama is writing, storyboarding, directing, animating, and designing the episode himself. He's one of the designers on the series, and he was previously animation director for episode 9 - Eunyoung Choi's episode on the plant planet. This time he's handling an entire episode on his own including all the key animation, guest designs, and art setting.

One of my favorite episodes.

How was the music in the english dub? Specifically, what language did they use for the music during the training?

Zubz

Banned
Next week's episode looks really cool too: http://space-dandy.com/episode/18/

Kiyotaka Oshiyama is writing, storyboarding, directing, animating, and designing the episode himself. He's one of the designers on the series, and he was previously animation director for episode 9 - Eunyoung Choi's episode on the plant planet. This time he's handling an entire episode on his own including all the key animation, guest designs, and art setting.

I didn't know about that site but now I need that Dandy jacket.
Or at least that phone cover based on the Japanese credits sequence.

And agreed on how great Season 2's been; I usually hate musical episodes because some of the numbers drone on too long and don't add as much as they could/should, and even though the "Caste" system one's guilty of that, the ending was pretty well-done!
Was hoping Dr. Gel would crash the prom proper, but I guess he's still not allowed to directly interact with Dandy yet.
Especially looking forward to next week's one; the art looks great, the plot looks interesting, and as per usual, it seems to have little in common with the other episodes setting-wise!

Jigolo

Just saw episode 14 (S2E1)

You guys weren't kidding that episode was absolutely amazing. Emo dandy scene was hilarious,

Yup, hilarious episode lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom