• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i actually like both parts of the episode (the flea part a little less), but the connection between those two parts is really flimsy and they don't fit very well together. between this episode and the weird skeleton man episode and the dog episode, i think it's safe to say being disjointed is a common theme among the ones written by Keiko Nobumoto

That's why I'm saying they should have just made it two separate mini episodes, trying to tie the two halves together is what hurt the episode as a whole

Zubz

Banned
Wow. Looking back, I think it was the worst episode of Space Dandy yet... And I still enjoyed it! I mean, yeah, it did feel ping pong-y with concepts that should have definitely been elaborated on (Almost thought this episode was just going to be about Honey vs. Gel based on the opening, but there were still some humorous moments in there, especially with the weird laugh-track itself being present just because.

Also, I'm with everyone else; why does Meow remember the Zombie episode? Negative Continuity/Many Worlds Interpretation definitely set in with that episode, seeing how
literally everyone in the universe died, irrevocably becoming zombies and thus eventually attaining universal peace
. Either it's more of them just having fun ignoring continuity, or the show's continuity itself just got a lot weirder.

Renekton

i actually like both parts of the episode (the flea part a little less), but the connection between those two parts is really flimsy and they don't fit very well together. between this episode and the weird skeleton man episode and the dog episode, i think it's safe to say being disjointed is a common theme among the ones written by Keiko Nobumoto
For the dog episode, we were initially confused about where the seemingly-random machinist scenes fit into all this, then it got revealed in an "oh that's where" moment which makes sense, plus a drastic shift in tone to slapstick. Brilliant! :D

duckroll

It's the same boarder and director that worked with her on the Lonely Pooch Planet episode. He doesn't seem particularly... good.

Shimizu is a pretty good animator who doesn't do a lot of direction, so he's not incredibly experienced. Having said that though, I don't think the problem with the content of the episodes is entirely his fault. Some of the more divisive episodes of Dandy have been written by Keiko Nobumoto. She's a very, very talented writer who hasn't really worked much in like a decade. She wrote episode 8 (Lonely Pooch), episode 15 (River of Time), and episode 19 (Cloudian) so far. She's writing one more upcoming episode as well (22).

The way I see it, she been trying to cramp as many ideas as possible in each of her scripts for Dandy, but being someone who doesn't generally write comedy or short one-off random stuff, there's a struggle there to find the right tone. This struggle is compounded by the fact that her episodes all tend to be paired up with less experienced or talented directors who might find it hard bring out the best in the scripts into visual form.

I liked both ep8 and ep15 though, and I think I've talked about why I think they work and what they really bring to the series in terms of being unique episodes. Unfortunately I can't say the same for ep19. It just plain sucked for me. It was more annoying than funny, and a slog to get through. The ideas are interesting and would certainly have worked in a better framework but as it is, this story didn't work at all.

One of the interesting things to note about her episodes is that they all contain the theme of dualism. With her desire to pack as much as possible in each script, there really are two complete stories in each one. Episode 8 was both a What If story about finding Laika on some planet in deep space, alone and dying, and also a story about a dying mechanical planet held together by the last remaining inhabitants. The "connection" between the two stories being the joke that flea beings could be living on a dog. Episode 15 was about a lonely alien who collected smiles and had a creepy obsession with Dandy, but it was also about the River of Time, and what it would be like to see the Pororoca Phenomenon occur in it.

Episode 19 is clearly a story built around both the idea of a Cloudian and what it would mean to be one, while also trying to weave that concept around telling a story about both Scarlet and Honey and what they're like off-duty. I think if a much better director worked on this episode, it might have turned into a much better and more interesting character-centric piece. I don't know whose idea the laugh track was, but that really didn't help at all. :(

I'm pretty hopeful for Nobumoto's final upcoming episode though. It's storyboarded by Yoshitomo Yonetani, who is a real master at directing comedy. The episode director is Masato Miyoshi, who is pretty experienced unit director as well. The animation director is the most exciting thing about the episode though - Yoshimichi Kameda is finally going to make his mark on Dandy. Storywise from what I can tell from the title and the magazine synopsis, it's going to be about a once in a century epic drunken street dance celebration on Planet Grease inspired by the Awa Odori festival in Japan.

sonicmj1

Episode 19

This is definitely the worst episode of the second half so far, down near the lows of the early episodes. There are scattered ideas that I like in it, like the relationship between Honey and Dr. Gel, but it's so all over the place. The different story threads don't come together cleanly. And the laugh track is so awkwardly executed that it drags nearly every joke in the episode down just for a throwaway fourth-wall gag.

After the sick fight scene in episode 2, I've been waiting for a good Scarlet episode, and this wasn't it.

Mature

Shimizu is a pretty good animator who doesn't do a lot of direction, so he's not incredibly experienced. Having said that though, I don't think the problem with the content of the episodes is entirely his fault. Some of the more divisive episodes of Dandy have been written by Keiko Nobumoto. She's a very, very talented writer who hasn't really worked much in like a decade. She wrote episode 8 (Lonely Pooch), episode 15 (River of Time), and episode 19 (Cloudian) so far. She's writing one more upcoming episode as well (22).

The way I see it, she been trying to cramp as many ideas as possible in each of her scripts for Dandy, but being someone who doesn't generally write comedy or short one-off random stuff, there's a struggle there to find the right tone. This struggle is compounded by the fact that her episodes all tend to be paired up with less experienced or talented directors who might find it hard bring out the best in the scripts into visual form.

I liked both ep8 and ep15 though, and I think I've talked about why I think they work and what they really bring to the series in terms of being unique episodes. Unfortunately I can't say the same for ep19. It just plain sucked for me. It was more annoying than funny, and a slog to get through. The ideas are interesting and would certainly have worked in a better framework but as it is, this story didn't work at all.

One of the interesting things to note about her episodes is that they all contain the theme of dualism. With her desire to pack as much as possible in each script, there really are two complete stories in each one. Episode 8 was both a What If story about finding Laika on some planet in deep space, alone and dying, and also a story about a dying mechanical planet held together by the last remaining inhabitants. The "connection" between the two stories being the joke that flea beings could be living on a dog. Episode 15 was about a lonely alien who collected smiles and had a creepy obsession with Dandy, but it was also about the River of Time, and what it would be like to see the Pororoca Phenomenon occur in it.

Episode 19 is clearly a story built around both the idea of a Cloudian and what it would mean to be one, while also trying to weave that concept around telling a story about both Scarlet and Honey and what they're like off-duty. I think if a much better director worked on this episode, it might have turned into a much better and more interesting character-centric piece. I don't know whose idea the laugh track was, but that really didn't help at all. :(

I'm pretty hopeful for Nobumoto's final upcoming episode though. It's storyboarded by Yoshitomo Yonetani, who is a real master at directing comedy. The episode director is Masato Miyoshi, who is pretty experienced unit director as well. The animation director is the most exciting thing about the episode though - Yoshimichi Kameda is finally going to make his mark on Dandy. Storywise from what I can tell from the title and the magazine synopsis, it's going to be about a once in a century epic drunken street dance celebration on Planet Grease inspired by the Awa Odori festival in Japan.
Thanks for the insight. I certainly wouldn't place the fault squarely on the director, but rather that it seemed to agitate the problems already present with the script.

Grakl

Episode 19

This is definitely the worst episode of the second half so far, down near the lows of the early episodes. There are scattered ideas that I like in it, like the relationship between Honey and Dr. Gel, but it's so all over the place. The different story threads don't come together cleanly. And the laugh track is so awkwardly executed that it drags nearly every joke in the episode down just for a throwaway fourth-wall gag.

After the sick fight scene in episode 2, I've been waiting for a good Scarlet episode, and this wasn't it.

Honey is half cloudian, she was just fucking with Dr. Gel

Gazoinks

The Japanese Space Dandy boxset artwork is pretty cool:
7azLeEM.jpg

There isn't a straight-on shot of this cover around, is there? I want to avatarize Devo Meow.

Zubz

Banned
There isn't a straight-on shot of this cover around, is there? I want to avatarize Devo Meow.

But you have the best avatar on the site!

Also, looking back, does anyone think Honey being
half-Cloudian
will ever be relevant again? It doesn't seem like something they'd go back to so quickly.

Renekton

That artwork is giving me a headache, to me it's like there are multiple versions of classic Dandy, but only one version each for classic QT and Meow. Halp.

Crocodile

Just a heads up, the head writer for the next Space Dandy episode is the same person who wrote episodes 3 (a bit of a dud granted),4,7,10,12 and 14. GET HYPE!

Mature

Just a heads up, the head writer for the next Space Dandy episode is the same person who wrote episodes 3 (a bit of a dud granted),4,7,10,12 and 14. GET HYPE!
Yeah, she's been really great for the series. Her episodes have been hysterical— sans maybe episode 3.

Branduil

Space Dandy 20

Unlike the previous episode, this one stuck with one idea, and did it well.

Next episode looks weird, in a good way.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
that was awesome, especially the second half

also wtf was up with Honey this ep, lol

I loved episode 20. The part where dandy starts emprovizing at the concert was hilarious.

After dandy started humming "viva all" in the bathroom I was wanting the band to play that song the whole episode

Articalys

That was a great episode, really fun the whole way through.

Definitely going to watch the sub version of this one since I want to hear Junichi Suwabe's version of that song.

Shergal

There's so many things this episode did right, starting from getting Dandy a foil as pompous and entertaining as him. Their interactions were golden. It was so stylish too, one of Yamamoto's best outings in recent times.
Definitely among my favourite episodes in the show.

Branduil

There's so many things this episode did right, starting from getting Dandy a foil as pompous and entertaining as him. Their interactions were golden. It was so stylish too, one of Yamamoto's best outings in recent times.
Definitely among my favourite episodes in the show.

The manga stylizations were great.

duckroll

Episode 20

That was pretty good. It was a fun episode just watching Dandy having another moron like himself to interact with. Not as crazy as I expected considering it was a story about Dandy forming a rock band with the head of the Jaicro Empire, but the explosive ending was so typical of Dandy. The use of stylish stills and creative coloring was pretty effective at keeping the momentum without having full blown performance animation until the final event. It also made the episode look pretty unique. Huge improvement over the stinker last week.

Next week's episode looks really interesting visually. It'll be directed by Yasuhiro Nakura, an animator/artist who doesn't really do much direction but is a huge fan of Kenji Miyazawa's works. It'll be cool if there's an influence there. The background art design will be by Santiago Montiel, who was recently the art director for the Production IG film Giovanni's Island, which incidentally also had heavy influences from Night on the Galactic Railroad - a Kenji Miyazawa classic. Watanabe is writing the script himself for the episode too.

Their spin on being not quite like Behind the Music. I didn't think all the drop kicking would lead to the band name, The Dropkicks, but it worked out well anyway.

I just finished catching up with Season 2, I'm enjoying it so far; did anyone else notice a huge Ghibli vibe from Episode 18? The entire episode, the story, the kid, the art style felt like a huge Ghibli tribute to me-
I going back and forth if it was a giant Moebius tribute, too the legendary French comic artist.

Then again, you get into how much of Moebius's DNA is intertwined in Miyazaki's works and it gets hazy from there.

duckroll

I don't really think there's much of an actual Ghibli influence in episode 18. Oshiyama did work on some recent Ghibli films as an animator though. Most of the style seems inspired by stuff older than Ghibli itself - the sort of stuff you'll find in Japanese folklore illustrations and European graphic novels. Especially in the use of color. Ghibli stuff tend to be far more detailed and elaborate, with a richer color tone. Here it uses a deliberately minimalist style with a more limited color palette to convey the sense of a quiet laid back setting.

This version is sped up a bit to avoid copyright I believe. The version on the soundtrack sounds much better.

Now that you mention it, it does sound a bit faster :eek:

I going back and forth if it was a giant Moebius tribute, too the legendary French comic artist.

Then again, you get into how much of Moebius's DNA is intertwined in Miyazaki's works and it gets hazy from there.

It actually does have more of a Moebius look to it because of the muted colours; I was more familiar with Ghibli stuff so my brain made that connection first...

I don't really think there's much of an actual Ghibli influence in episode 18. Oshiyama did work on some recent Ghibli films as an animator though. Most of the style seems inspired by stuff older than Ghibli itself - the sort of stuff you'll find in Japanese folklore illustrations and European graphic novels. Especially in the use of color. Ghibli stuff tend to be far more detailed and elaborate, with a richer color tone. Here it uses a deliberately minimalist style with a more limited color palette to convey the sense of a quiet laid back setting.

True, there was a definitely traditional feel from the art style. One of the main reasons my mind jumped to Ghibli was mainly because of the kid Esseme (sp?); he just felt like a Ghibli kid to me with the way he laughed, cried, his expressions. The opening crawl showing off the greenery of the forests and hills reminded me of Princess Mononoke's and Totoro's backgrounds too. You're right, though; the way the ocean and waves were drawn were definitely like something older, like a simplified Japanese woodblock print or Grecian vase art.

Also, another GIF-Cam dump, enjoy!~

(NSFW, I guess)

za13upw.gif
AFTE6WA.gif

fLfX0Qx.gif
4WIamaA.gif

¬_¬

Levyne

Banned
Normally hearing JYB in anything is an instant rollseyes but I think he and Ian really seemed to have their characters playing off each other really well that episode. Ian's not a bad singer either.

duckroll

Next week's episode looks really interesting visually. It'll be directed by Yasuhiro Nakura, an animator/artist who doesn't really do much direction but is a huge fan of Kenji Miyazawa's works. It'll be cool if there's an influence there. The background art design will be by Santiago Montiel, who was recently the art director for the Production IG film Giovanni's Island, which incidentally also had heavy influences from Night on the Galactic Railroad - a Kenji Miyazawa classic. Watanabe is writing the script himself for the episode too.

Update: The official site has posted a look at the episode's designs. The art setting and guest designs are all by Nakura himself, while Santiago drew the actual background art boards: http://www.space-dandy.com/episode/21/

Finalow

really funny and interesting episode, great animations as usual. I liked it. I hope that this new Johnny character won't disappear.

the preview of the next one is promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom