• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances of an official release of the English "Lonely Night"?

That is a rockin' song.

I wonder if the Gogal Empire is after Dandy because of his relationship with Johnny?

DarkKyo

Wow. Dandy is
"the one"
Think this episode hinted heavily at Dandy
being able to tap into multiple parallel universes(as he has been throughout the entire series)
. Only a few more episodes until all is revealed. It's been hinted at in several episodes but I don't think people can deny it anymore after this one.
Amazing art and music this episode.

Wow. Dandy is
"the one"
Think this episode hinted heavily at Dandy
being able to tap into multiple parallel universes(as he has been throughout the entire series)
. Only a few more episodes until all is revealed.
Amazing art and music this episode.

I wonder if that is why dr gel wants him. Also what do you mean by all is revealed? Is there not going to be another season?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I wonder if that is why dr gel wants him. Also what do you mean by all is revealed? Is there not going to be another season?

At a panel today, Ian Sinclair said something along the lines of "I have seen the end of Dandy" and claims that this season is the last we'll get, supposedly.

This episode was fantastic. I tend to love the more art-film-y episodes but this one managed to stay fairly grounded while presenting us with such a beautiful but dead world to explore.

Branduil

Space Dandy 21

ibfFIshgl8Tl4L.gif

duckroll

How much evidence do you need at this point, lol it's been present in so many episodes....

I don't need evidence. It's just an anthology series. Just remember not to shit up the thread when the series ends and it's just another fun stand alone episode.

DarkKyo

I'm pretty sure this is the final season and we're coming up to the end. What I mean is Dandy's power will be explained.

I don't need evidence. It's just an anthology series. Just remember not to shit up the thread when the series ends and it's just another fun stand alone episode.

Pretty sure the only one shitting up this thread is the one discouraging fan theories and discussion.

Edit: even if it's not -officially- revealed or outright stated, it's more than obvious at this point anyways.

Crocodile

Space Dandy 21

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

I need to rewatch this week's episode. People are saying it explains all of Dandy's deaths and what not but I dunno man. I did appreciate how the second half retroactively made the first half even better. Either way, the episode was a visual and auditory marvel at the very least :)

I probably need to rewatch this as well.
Very very weird and very very beautiful at the same time. Great episode despite the confusion.
Also it apparently explains how Dandy is reset every episode he dies. Very cool.

DarkKyo

What happened to being very certain that it would be explained? :)

You can't be certain of anything you haven't seen. If it doesn't end with a pure substantial story episode or two then I will still stand by the certainty of what the series has presented so far, which is plenty of evidence to understand what Dandy is. Either way I still think we're likely to have some key story coming up. You act like it has been purely singular episodic stories with no overarching themes, concepts, stories, or evidence. If that's really what you think then I have to wonder if you're actually watching it the way you should be: with an open mind.

I hope we get some more episodes with the whole crew interacting and working together, those have been pretty rare lately. Its mostly been solo dandy stuff.

DarkKyo

Space Dandy 21

I need to rewatch this week's episode. People are saying it explains all of Dandy's deaths and what not but I dunno man. I did appreciate how the second half retroactively made the first half even better. Either way, the episode was a visual and auditory marvel at the very least :)

She explicitly states that he is "the one" and says that he can come back if she swaps him over to one of the other universes(as it displays an infinite amount of potential Dandys to swap between). Who knows why Dandy actually died on his own this time instead of switching over to a surviving universe like he normally would. It could have something to do with the nebula they were stuck in.

duckroll

You can't be certain of anything you haven't seen. If it doesn't end with a pure substantial story episode or two then I will still stand by the certainty of what the series has presented so far, which is plenty of evidence to understand what Dandy is. Either way I still think we're likely to have some key story coming up. You act like it has been purely singular episodic stories with no overarching themes, concepts, stories, or evidence. If that's really what you think then I have to wonder if you're actually watching it the way you should be: with an open mind.

You're just approaching this from a very different way than most people are. No one denies that there are consistent character traits, themes, and a universe with fixed concepts. But that's the fun of an anthology series - you take all that and you let very different creative talents play around with that universe without being worried about a linear story narrative.

That way the universe and characters can continue existing indefinitely, as long as there is an interest. It doesn't need a beginning, a middle, or an end. Each story is it's own, and many are unique interpretations of the universe and characters by individual creators. That's what Watanabe aimed for from the start. It's not about having an open mind, it's just about how that sort of connection and finding "mysteries" is not why a lot of people watch the show. That's why I'm not interested in arguing about "evidence" or whatever. If you can find other people who are very interested in this sort of thing and want to speculate about it with you, by all means.

But trying to force the discussion on people who don't want to discuss about that is silly, because there's so much more to talk about with each episode - where the inspirations for that story comes from, the different styles of art direction, the artists and musicians contributing to different stories, the writing and execution, etc.

DarkKyo

You seem to think I don't appreciate all the talent, hard work, creativity, or the amazing art and music and story ideas that go into a series like this(and each and every episode, individually). I understand the anthology format and I love it, I think it's perfect for a series like this. Probably my favorite anime of all time is Samurai Champloo and that's a perfect example of something that's similar to Dandy. Smaller stories with varied, well-known talents behind different episodes all tying into one glorious collection of memorable events and characters. I get all that. I appreciate all that.

But I don't know how you can say I'm forcing a discussion on this. I'm not the one coming into this thread and picking a fight with you over your beliefs. You approached me this time by quoting me, you know.

On the same note, why can't we have both? Why can't we both appreciate each and every episode on their own merits and discuss the overarching content and themes that are building with each episode? You are trying to make it sound like appreciating both those threads isn't possible, or at least that both you and I do not.

duckroll

I was just taking a dig at you because I'm fairly certain that all the remaining episodes are episodic, and I like taking digs at people when I think their expectations are off. C'mon. :p

Shergal

There have been allusions to parallel universe stuff plenty of times, but it's the kind of thing the show plays for laughs. The episode they built around the concept (14) proves how seriously they take these devices for continuity.

Soma

Is it weird for me to say that I got a little teary-eyed when the whole
"rebirth" sequence
took place?

Fuck it I don't even care. I think the music choice helped a lot and it was 100% perfect for that scene. Everything leading up to it and afterwards was just beautiful. I love when the show allows its writers and art team run wild and it pays off in dividends with lovely imaginative settings like this one (and many others from past weeks). It's been a long time since a show moved me in a way that this week's episode did.

For the past month or so, Ping Pong the Animation was my unquestionable AOTY but now I'm just not so sure anymore. Even with the series' handful of misfires, when it's able to produce episodes of this caliber, I can't deny that this truly is a one-of-a-kind series.

duckroll

Episode 21

I'll probably post more about this tomorrow after watching the Japanese version as well. One thing I've enjoyed comparing this season is how great the localization really is. It's a pretty challenging series, and this season has a lot of songs which they've bothered to translate and dub. Hats off to FUNimation for putting in a great effort for a simuldub.

This week's episode is super artistic, and I was really surprised by how Watanabe actually managed to turn in a well realized script all by himself after that stinker he wrote as the opening episode of the series. Lol. I guess he still has it when he really tries. The art direction was superb, the surrealist feel on the planet and the various inhabitants was great stuff. It's worth noting that Watanabe mentioned that one of the inspirations for the episode was the works of Alejandro Jodorowsky.

When I first heard that a band called Ogre Your Asshole was going to be doing almost all the music in this episode, I really didn't know what to expect. I was thinking maybe something closer to punk rock or heavy metal. I was definitely surprised by how melodic the tunes were and how effective they were at capturing the dream-like state of the episode. Very impressive choice.

I think story-wise, this might be one of the stronger episodes. It's definitely one of the more personal episodes for Dandy, and in a way it feels similar to how Meow and QT both got their own episodes giving more perspective to their backgrounds and what makes them tick (okay they had one for Scarlet and Honey too but that episode sucked!). I think that him coming to terms with his own death and actually choosing to stay that way when he realized he could make a cute girl happy is really something that defines him as a character. He just doesn't care, and it's clear that it's not because he doesn't want to live - he does, but it's not more important than him being... a dandy sort of guy.

I'm really glad the episode came together so well, because otherwise it would have been a huge waste of the great concept work done for it. Both Yasuhiro Nakura and Santiago Montiel really knocked it out of the park in terms of visuals, and Nakura has proven that aside from animation and design, he can also direct one hell of an episode. This entire second season continues to be a huge treat. :D

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wow, ummm...what the heck....

Great art and music...

I think I need to watch the Japanese version, or maybe read a transcript...

...great isn't the right word...maybe puissant or superlative...

Why did this have to be the episode that ended recording too early? Right in the middle of the credits too. Did this episode start later than usual, or run longer? All my past Dandy recordings always ended a few minutes after the next episode preview.

Levyne

Banned
Why did this have to be the episode that ended recording too early? Right in the middle of the credits too. Did this episode start later than usual, or run longer? All my past Dandy recordings always ended a few minutes after the next episode preview.

It started a little late.

Renekton

This episode is strange as heck... reminds me of Grim Fandango for some reason.

edit:
my brain hurts...
Was the white suit Dandy at the end the the same guy who came back, and the guy in the Aloha is still dead? Or that was a different dimension Dandy?
aaaaaaargh

edit:
my brain hurts...
Was the white suit Dandy at the end the the same guy who came back, and the guy in the Aloha is still dead? Or that was a different dimension Dandy?
aaaaaaargh
I think he rejected being brought back to life as the planet was still intact. Maybe it symbolized him accepting his fate and being at peace?

Branduil

Sorry for the image spam but the background artwork for this episode was just absolutely godly.

u2kfGQS.gif

Easily my favorite art direction of the whole series so far, and that's saying something.

edit:
my brain hurts...
aaaaaaargh

I think he rejected being brought back to life as the planet was still intact. Maybe it symbolized him accepting his fate and being at peace?

I think it's pretty easy to understand, LOL. There are multiple Dandies, remember?
White suit Dandy is just one of the alternate universe Dandies.

After season one I was on the 'no overarching plot' train but I'm leaning towards there being one at this point. DarkKyo isn't off base here, we've had 2 of the biggest questions of the series thus far answered already. We now know that the multiverse theory is true (I'll eat my crow for claiming otherwise) and just got an explanation for what happens to Dandy everytime he dies. The only majory thing left to cover now, which also happens to be the only real plot thread, is Dandy's connection to the Gogol Empire and I have a very hard time believing the show isn't going to touch on that by the end.

Jarmel

Banned
This was a really masterful episode that not only works on an episodic basis but actually ties the whole series together.

Fantastic job with the atmosphere and surrealism.

duckroll

Just watched it again in Japanese. Still really, really good. The Gregorian chanting scene actually worked out much better in English I feel, maybe due to how the style of singing lends itself better to English diction. The localization of the lyrics was really well done too. But aside from that, most of the episode was definitely superior in Japanese. Kaori Nazuka did a fantastic job as Poe, and I preferred how the Japanese script flowed. The Japanese Dandy has much more range in Japanese too, but that's something which has been pretty obvious throughout the series. Ian Sinclair seems to be playing the character in a much more one-note sort of way. Could be the English voice direction though. It made more of an impact in this particular episode because I think the range Suwabe used conveyed the tone of a sadder and more isolated Dandy much better, which really fit with the episode.

Oh and in the Japanese script, Poe never says that Dandy is "the one". She is simply shocked when she looks into him and sees that there are an infinite number of Dandys. It's definitely an acknowledgment that his existence across all possible dimensions is a unique thing, but I think it does also indicate that the intention isn't to make it sound like he's a "chosen" one or anything. Just a guy with a very unique gift he's unaware of.

DarkKyo

I was just thinking... Since the Aloha Oe crashed onto Limbo before dead Dandy switches to another universe, does that mean the QT and Meow from the first universe are doomed? :(

Totakeke

Wow, watching Space Dandy going through its ups and downs is now fully justified with this episode. Absolutely breathtaking atmosphere.

Easily my favorite art direction of the whole series so far, and that's saying something.

I think it's pretty easy to understand, LOL. There are multiple Dandies, remember?
White suit Dandy is just one of the alternate universe Dandies.
Why bring a Dandy into Limbo from another universe? The planet said it would return him to another dimension, but Dandy seemed to accept being dead before the process completed. How do you know that's a different Dandy and not his "soul" taking a different form?

Finalow

another gorgeous episode, can't repeat enough how good this second season is.

loved the alien singing scene, I was expecting them to sing some more near the end though. I also think that after this we might get a final episode related to Dandy's "power", and some more explanations.

seems like there is a Space Dandy: Collector's Set Blu-ray releasing Nov 24, just the first season. pretty expensive as usual but I'm tempted to buy it.

Wrote this in the Anime OT and the Toonami OT, this might be my favorite episode yet.

Space Dandy 21

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalm 23:4

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's nothing left
-Coolio

Doesn't matter where I go. Whether I'm alive or dead, I'm still pretty Dandy
-Space Dandy

So this might be my favorite episode of Dandy, solely on the visual aspect. And I gotta be honest, it might be my favorite 'mindfuck' episode of Dandy as well. I still don't entirely get what was going on but at face value on first watch looks like
Dandy is entering a planet through a nebula when a sudden movement makes him trip, hit his head on the dashboard and enter limbo/death. That takes him to the planet's surface, filled with 'inhabitants' that are all dead. Most of these are aware of their death and even though they have no sadness they discuss, in a very existentialist fashion, the futility of life if it only leads to death and whether acceptance is realistic.Then Dandy meets the personification of the planet, a lonely girl, who may have discovered that Dandy is special (similar to his special status for the war), and knows that the one she was looking for is Dandy. Dandy claims that she's a beautiful planet and she claims that she can restore him to another dimension

Anybody who has seen the episode who knows what happened at the end care to explain?
Did she not send Dandy back? Or was there a special meaning to him coming back all suited up to meet her again?

But enough about plot discussions, the episode was filled with incredibly relaxing music, and beautiful visuals. One instance of music in particular I loved, with the angel playing the shamisen, her music was evocative to that of Spaghetti westerns which makes complete sense as the particular scene was in a desert and involved a chase. Fucking beautiful.

Whether they were done on purpose or not, I couldn't help but notice some similarities in images in the show and other images in popular stories/mtythologies and culture. For instance:
hycgYOe.png
bgl4qei.jpg

Dandy's outfit and boat, to that of the River Styx and Charon its Ferryman

and

OYBpdME.png
8Cm8f10.jpg

The 'Warden' and the monster in Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth

While there's no guarantee these were the allusions they were going for, I found them very similar. I can't stress how beautiful and stylish this episode was, even if you don't watch Space Dandy do yourself a favor and watch it, even if solely on a technical aspect as it's 100% likely I completely missed the message, metaphors and any other deep meanings behind visual cues on what the episode was about. It was that brilliant of an episode. And the music. Oh that music. I want to make love to it, baby.

God damn I need this blu-ray and OST.

bob page

Holy shit, I had no idea this show started (let alone already into season 2). Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I've ever really enjoyed- should I give this a shot?

Holy shit, I had no idea this show started (let alone already into season 2). Cowboy Bebop is the only anime I've ever really enjoyed- should I give this a shot?

It's nothing like Cowboy Bebop and it's entirely episodic. I mean Cowboy Bebop is episodic but it gives the semblance of an overarching arc in the background every now and again and even more down the line, and there's continuity with new characters being introduced and new clues being brought up for Spike and Faye's backstory.

Space Dandy is more of a set of characters in space, and each episode is given to a director and writer to go nuts and do what they want to do so it's as episodic as it gets and there's not much continuity to each episode. It's a visual delight and some episodes are outright fantastic, but if Cowboy Bebop is the only anime you've ever liked then I don't truly know if I can recommend it to you.

There's similarities to Cowboy Bebop as Dandy and crew are down on their luck and 'bounty hunters' but similarities basically end there. It's a silly comedy that has some very weak episodes every now and again, but the visuals and music are always stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom