• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Dandy |OT| We're up all night to... ASK D-N-A... again, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to start watching this.

What's the best way for you GAF ? The dubbed version or subs and if subs, which one ?

I have no preference.

What's the best way for you GAF ? The dubbed version or subs and if subs, which one ?

I have no preference.

Both dub and sub have their ups and downs, for me the dub wins because Space Dandy's VA does a damn fine job in talking and singing in english, not to mention QT's autotune voice is damn great in english.

Yonafunu

Right, so, first thoughts.

Probably my second-least favorite episode of the season. Which is a shame, because I was really looking forward to it.

First of all, the music was great, so let's get that out of the way. The art was really good when taken as seperate pieces, like they did in the ending, but for some reason it didn't gel well for me as a whole. This could very well be intentional so bear with me, but it didn't give me a sense of space or a sense of place. All the areas just felt like completely random seperate backgrounds, with Dandy and that alien walking through them. Again, that might've been the intention, but it heavily detracted from the episode for me.
Speaking of aliens, I hated the design for that Ferdinand guy. Terribly ugly. The girl was fine, if unremarkable. The rest were great, I especially liked the singing aliens.
The animation was average, definitely compared to the series' standard.

I'll go into the story and stuff after I rewatch it. Maybe it'll be better when I do.

DarkKyo

I don't think there's a single dub voice I haven't liked. The main cast is all great, and I also really like the auto-tune for QT.

The only voice I'm not a fan of in the dub is the narrator. I loooove everyone else's voices. Dandy's and QT's especially. Meow is great, too.

Random question, but in the rock and roll episode last week, was the VA for the record label CEO the same VA for King Bradley in FMA? I'm not sure how to check.

Levyne

Banned
Random question, but in the rock and roll episode last week, was the VA for the record label CEO the same VA for King Bradley in FMA? I'm not sure how to check.

It sounded just like him, I haven't confirmed but no one else sounds like that.

I love his voice, it's pretty unique.

I have no preference.

Both are great, you really can't go wrong either way. I watch the dub because toonami gets the world premiere each weekend.

I keep saying I have a favourite episode, but then the next one always blows me away. It's surreal, baby!

Plants Are Living Things Too, Baby is the best episode of Dandy by a mile, I love it so much.

Renekton

Dub works better in some episodes like the rock band with Johnny.

The Japanese version was intentionally made awful for the laughs.

Xerotwo

I was just thinking... Since the Aloha Oe crashed onto Limbo before dead Dandy switches to another universe, does that mean the QT and Meow from the first universe are doomed? :(

I was wondering about that too, since the episode was focusing mostly on Dandy.

Still this fucking episode is so awesome.

Levyne

Banned
That's great thing about the near simul-dub. People can just watch what they want!

I've never heard the japanese voices but the english ones are pretty good, though auto-tune screaming can be a little weird. I'm glad the english opening was nixed too.

I was just thinking... Since the Aloha Oe crashed onto Limbo before dead Dandy switches to another universe, does that mean the QT and Meow from the first universe are doomed? :(
dandy died from smashing his head in the counsel

the other two were fine as shown by one of the last scenes

duckroll

The official site has put up the preview of designs for ep22: http://www.space-dandy.com/episode/22/

This has the potential to be totally, utter, visually, insane. Once a century on Planet Grease, the Dancingians appear to drum up the greatest dance party the galaxy has ever seen. Prepare for insanity, a dancing three-headed dragon, a 1200 year old matriarch, 70s dance fever, and Tohn Jravolta voiced by Spike Spiegel (In the Japanese version anyway)!

This will be the last Space Dandy script by Keiko Nobumoto, so I really hope she gets to redeem herself from the awful ep19. Lol. Yoshitomo Yonetani (Dororon Enma-kun, the Tiger & Bunny movies) will be storyboarding this one, so I have pretty high hopes for the comedy direction. The animation director is Yoshimichi Kameda, so that should be a super treat. I've been waiting for him to get on Dandy after he finished up last year's Anime Mirai project. Fans of FMA:B will probably know him from the amazing action animation he did in the series, especially all the scenes with heavy brushstrokes in them.

Katsuhiro Otomo's design work on Dandy will also finally be featured in this episode. He was one of those big name contributors whose name appeared in the first season's creative staff list but didn't get featured in the first season. Seems like he did some really detailed design concepts for a satellite world and some... weird stuff.

3AglAtH.jpg

Ever since the show started I wanted Space Dandy to have three topics covered:

- Rock n Roll
- Dancing
- Surfing

The first and last already had their episodes, we had a bit of great dancing in Viva All but the focus was on the musical aspect. Everything that's happening with the next episode has the possibility to be awesome. I hope that Dandy is as good of a dancer as he is a rock star, because I'd love to see him in a Disco style battle against somebody, and with a character named after Jon Travolta my hype is rising so high.

DarkKyo

dandy died from smashing his head in the counsel

the other two were fine as shown by one of the last scenes

It looks like the Aloha is stuck on the planet(with Meow and QT aboard).
The girl sends Dandy to a universe where they made it out of the Nebula. Wouldn't Meow and QT from the first universe still be in the stuck Aloha with a dead Dandy body?

Anybody who has seen the episode who knows what happened at the end care to explain?
Did she not send Dandy back? Or was there a special meaning to him coming back all suited up to meet her again?
I kind of had a couple thoughts for this when I watched it.
The first being that this is a future version of Limbo Dandy who was sent to another dimension and had finally died of natural causes. This Dandy taking the form of his younger self as that's what the girl identified him with. Of course then, what would be the purpose of showing that long shot of Dandy Asleep/Dead inside of the Aloha Oe. It spends five seconds with him in full colour as they zoom in, but right before it goes to the scene of the Limbo-girl waiting on the platform, it goes black-white for 2 seconds. From that it could be thought that Dandy never did go back, or was unable to for some reason. Then comes the hopeful perspective of what if the new universe Dandy gets sent to is one where the planet never became extinct and is still alive. The girl and the companions are now real and Dandy was paying a visit for some reason.

Of course, its an interesting scene and really does make you think if you let yourself.

The girl sends Dandy to a universe where they made it out of the Nebula. Wouldn't Meow and QT from the first universe still be in the stuck Aloha with a dead Dandy body?
Ha, I didn't even realize that was the Aloha.
It could have crashed but with everyone on the planet surviving... But then again, with the overgrowth being the way it is, it looks like it had been there for several years, or enough time for moss to form on the sides and the plant to grow over it.

Has anybody found exactly what the diglet looking worm dudes were singing? I didn't catch all the words, but they seemed to be singing something to go along with the existentialist discussion on death and futility.

I was just saying that it wasn't directly the nebula that killed him it was the bump on the head from the turbulence.

Also that picture could add more evidence to the "end scene is dandy coming back when he finally dies many years later".

Why would that be sad, considering Dandy and QT left Meow for dead inside an alien's tummy before! :)

I've never gotten the impression that they hate each other, but they certainly don't care about each other more than partners. They were willing to switch Dandys when the Chameleonian was nicer to them lol.

duckroll

I've never gotten the impression that they hate each other, but they certainly don't care about each other more than partners. They were willing to switch Dandys when the Chameleonian was nicer to them lol.

I don't even think they understand what "hate" is. The power of BBP is such that they will likely never realize that Dandy is dead, and just spend their days on the ship wondering about what long dream Dandy is having, until something in space claims them all.

Renekton

Other than EP3, it seems the BBP do care for each other. Dandy went out of his way to rescue them at least twice. About the Chameleonian switch, it's not as if Dandy's life is in danger lol.

Then again Space Dandy is gleefully unpredictable, just when you think you got them figured out... D:

I don't even think they understand what "hate" is. The power of BBP is such that they will likely never realize that Dandy is dead, and just spend their days on the ship wondering about what long dream Dandy is having, until something in space claims them all.

Other than EP3, it seems the BBP do care for each other. Dandy went out of his way to rescue them at least twice. About the Chameleonian switch, it's not as if Dandy's life is in danger lol.

Then again Space Dandy is gleefully unpredictable, just when you think you got them figured out... D:

They care about each other up till a certain extent from what I gather. They'd be sad if one of them died, but I don't think they genuinely care about each other like close friends or something as close as that. I'd try to rescue a partner if possible but I've never seen them be actually close. Like the crew of the Bebop may have acted indifferent at points but they had a closer bond than these three. Heck the BBP is downright mean to each other at points, like when they signed up Dandy for that competition and only decided to go find him after a whole episode because he needed to be present to claim the price. Or how Dandy only rescued Meow from the alien because he had something like a discount for Boobies or something haha.

One of my personal favorite choices on the dynamic of the crew is how they've made QT more logical than Dandy and Meow, but still largely an idiot due to his/her extremely dated software. I mean if she couldn't figure out they were stuck in a loop faster then there are issues.

I don't know if that's such a shocker, afterall, Watanabe's fascination with thoughts of death and characters trapped between life and death has shone through heavily in previous works. It's a very Watanabe subject! In addition, he wasn't really aiming for comedy, thankfully.

Oh mos def. I mean it can be argued that in Cowboy Bebop, Spike's eyes
the fake one and the real one, we have one that can only look at the past and one that sees the future, which puts him in a state of limbo as it if was a dream. Heck the last words of Julia are "It's all just a dream" further giving evidence to Watanabe's fascination with these topics

GAWD I NEED BEBOP IN BLU RAY TO BE HERE ALREADY. ALSO SPACE DANDY BLU RAY AND SOUNDTRACK.

Jex

Episode 21

I'll probably post more about this tomorrow after watching the Japanese version as well. One thing I've enjoyed comparing this season is how great the localization really is. It's a pretty challenging series, and this season has a lot of songs which they've bothered to translate and dub. Hats off to FUNimation for putting in a great effort for a simuldub.

This week's episode is super artistic, and I was really surprised by how Watanabe actually managed to turn in a well realized script all by himself after that stinker he wrote as the opening episode of the series. Lol. I guess he still has it when he really tries. The art direction was superb, the surrealist feel on the planet and the various inhabitants was great stuff. It's worth noting that Watanabe mentioned that one of the inspirations for the episode was the works of Alejandro Jodorowsky.
I don't know if that's such a shocker, afterall, Watanabe's fascination with thoughts of death and characters trapped between life and death has shone through heavily in previous works. It's a very Watanabe subject! In addition, he wasn't really aiming for comedy, thankfully.

I have no preference.

Subbed. The Japanese cast just have better range all around, especially Dandy. Which isn't so that the dub is bad at all, instead it's really good, but the Japanese is just better.

So I guess I'm the only one who didn't really like episode 21? I'm a bit surprised at that, to be honest.

It's the internet, it's literally impossible for you to be the only one :p

Jokes aside, I'm sure others here didn't like it they simply might not comment in this thread. I don't tend to like these meta philosophical commentary episodes, but the combination of everything animation and music wise plus the writing quality in it made me love it. Heck I don't even like the plant planet episode all that much aside of animation, but this one hit all the right notes.

Yonafunu

It's the internet, it's literally impossible for you to be the only one :p

Jokes aside, I'm sure others here didn't like it they simply might not comment in this thread. I don't tend to like these meta philosophical commentary episodes, but the combination of everything animation and music wise plus the writing quality in it made me love it. Heck I don't even like the plant planet episode all that much aside of animation, but this one hit all the right notes.

Hahaha, I meant among the regulars in this thread, of course.

It just did nothing for me. I liked some of the individual elements (art, music), but it really didn't come together. I just kept wondering where all of these seperate scenes were going, and it never did anything interesting. It felt very vapid to me. It's like they made a bunch of awesome art and then wrote a story around it, instead of the other way around. That can work out sometimes, but they chose the afterlife-angle, which is about the laziest justification for awesome-but-incoherent-art there is. The episode was very pretty (except Ferdinand), but that's it. Also, I hated the part with the planet-girl.

Very disappointing. Definitely one of my least favorite episodes of the season.

DarkKyo

Loved the episode so much that I felt like making some avatars. Feel free to take from these -- and if you want one borderless then just ask!
nxy2sES.jpg
b7FKqCC.jpg
rXVhU3c.jpg
xC4OUAt.jpg
bII5zzt.jpg
9UGp5HS.jpg
W18cxVi.jpg
bPMSPNa.jpg

Edit: also, couldn't resist gif'ing this lol
QpksOPF.gif

not sure what context it would be good for

PK Gaming

Space Dandy 21

Doesn't matter where I go. Whether I'm alive or dead, I'm still pretty Dandy

This episode was quite special. A visual treat and surprisingly thought provoking; I didn't expect this from Space Dandy. Easily among my favorite episodes of Space Dandy.

I really am ecstatic for the next episode, I really do hope they just have a whole sequence of dandy dancing, I mean we already saw what dancing can get us in Viva All.

Holy shit at the latest episode. I'm in awe and am still trying to figure it out in my head. This is definitely my new favorite episode

At the end, when she was explaining to Dandy that she can "send him to a dimension where he survives," it shows him not understanding. The visual representation was having split images of him swirling around him. I think the Dandy from this universe is dead and there's no way around it, but she had the ability to send not his full soul, but more like copies of it to the other universes. At the very end, as he's coming down the lift, this is still this universe's Dandy who is dead. Notice that the girl is now on the planet surface with the other dead souls instead of in the lift with him, meaning she is also dead. My initial thought was, "Did he choose to stay on the planet with her?" But I'm thinking he didn't really have a choice. Dead or alive, I'm still pretty Dandy - doesn't seem like he minds one way or the other

Blader

Does Adult Swim not stream in HD anymore? Looks they've changed their video player layout but I can't find the SD/HD toggle anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom