• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special edition of Charlie Hebdo will feauture caricatures of Mohammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

B7LjvLSCUAAf5U8.jpg

God damn i'm laughing my ass off ... But again i'm probably going to hell if there is a hell.

I knew there had to be some hidden childish twist. When i first saw the cover all i could see was the very tasteful drawing and i silently claped.

It's still a very nice cover, and i don't see how someone can get offended by it. They are showing that the prophet is sad that some lunatics killed people in his name. That he's for love and peace and not for violence and revenge. How is that offensive ?

I salute the cartoonist. Bien joué Luz.

reckless

It's already been pointed out that his head is suspiciously penis shaped. We have no idea what's actually in the comic, but the fact they've gone straight back to the point of contention indicates that it probably won't be pulling many punches.

And we're talking about a minority that has been getting shit from everywhere. We've had public figures speaking out and putting a burden of blame on Muslims who have had nothing to do with this. My ex constantly had to deal with people assuming she was sikh because she didn't look like a typical Muslim, and when she'd correct them they'd suddenly go silent and everything would get awkward.

There are plenty of good ways to go about showing that you're not going to give in to terrorism. I just feel that this isn't the best response.
Drawing at straws?
And even if they intended a penis shape so what?

Yeah harassment and persecution sucks but that's not this magazine's fault.

I'd say that having another drawing of Mohammed is the only way to show that you aren't going to give in since, that is the reason why everything happened. There are no other ways to show they weren't giving in to terrorism and it is surprisingly tame portrayal of Mohammed compared to their other drawings.

Mimosa97

This is still taught to kids today. It was told to me as a child (not just about women, but general gruesome things that will happen to sinners in hell), and now my 5 year old nephew believes it.

smfh

If anyone is confused, I'm an atheist in a muslim family. 'tis not fun.

Anecdote: my mom doesn't cover her hair, but my sister in law does. My 3-year old nephew asked his grandmother (my mother) why doesn't she cover her hair like his mom, she asked him if he would want her to, he replied No.

I already liked you from what you said in the other Charlie Hebdo threads.

Now i'm kind of starting to admire you.

See you in hell i guess :D

Condom

Special Edition? Are they cashing in on all the publicity?

Yes they are. 1.000.000 copies instead of 60.000 too. Smug magazine keeping being smug isn´t surprising though.

Guess tackling important social and global issues was too much to process after the tragedy and they chose for brainless cashing instead.

We don´t know shit yet though, maybe they´ll surprise.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Yes they are. 1.000.000 copies instead of 60.000 too. Smug magazine keeping being smug isn´t surprising though.

Guess tackling important social and global issues was too much to process after the tragedy and they chose for brainless cashing instead.

Pushing back against these nutjobs and printing more is exactly how a newspaper can tackle this issue.

reckless

Really?

You're gonna say they're wrong to focus on the cause of many of their co-workers and friends murders?

RJT

Not sure if you are being serious, but the proceeds are mostly going to the families of the victims.

Source 1

Source 2

Distributors are waiving their fees on distribution of the first million copies of Wednesday’s issue, to allow almost all the €3 ($3.50) cover price in France to go to the newspaper and victims’ families.

Mimosa97

You've been shitting on their graves for days ...

They're not cashing in on what's happened. They were near bankrupt. They lost 12 people. They weren't rich at all.
In fact they had to cut their salaries numerous times in order to save the journal from going bankrupt. They left wives and children with not much of a heritage. So yeah, this might be their " Chant du cygne ", their " swansong ", and there's a big demand around the world. So why not print millions of copies so everyone can join in ? Why not allow the spirit of their beloved journal, one they fought so hard to keep alive, enter as many households as possible around the world ? Why not give a chance to those who want to honor them to snatch a copy, frame it and put it over the mantelpiece even if it's just for a day ?

Drawing at straws?
And even if they intended a penis shape so what?

Yeah harassment and persecution sucks but that's not this magazine's fault.

I'd say that having another drawing of Mohammed is the only way to show that you aren't going to give in since, that is the reason why everything happened. There are no other ways to show they weren't giving in to terrorism and it is surprisingly tame portrayal of Mohammed compared to their other drawings.

How is it drawing at straws? It's highly unlikely (based on their usual fare) that it wasn't intended.

And if you can't see how doing something that decreases extremism and promotes goodwill whilst simultaneously disarms the violent party is better than being pigheaded and provocative, then I guess we have differing philosophies.

Kathian

Banned

What's with all these idiots who think journalism I'd cashing? Should ditch the whole thing and live in boxes.

SteaG

Is there gonna be any way to buy this in the US?
According to Le Figaro :
- A total of 3,000,000 copies will be printed, spread on several days.
- Demand is big from abroad (~ 20 countries) : MLP, the newspaper distribution company, was asked for more than 300,000 copies (they probably won't be able to get that amount, at least in the first days). Charlie Hebdo usually sells 4,000 copies outside of France.
- For now it is confirmed that 7 countries will get some copies : Switzerland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Canada (mostly in Montréal and Québec, but also some in Vancouver and Toronto), UK and US.

reckless

How is it drawing at straws? It's highly unlikely (based on their usual fare) that it wasn't intended.

And if you can't see how doing something that decreases extremism and promotes goodwill whilst simultaneously disarms the violent party is better than being pigheaded and provocative, then I guess we have differing philosophies.

Like I said even if was intended so what?

I'd say not drawing him would embolden extremists because they would be able to claim a victory.

If these drawings are enough to provoke people then I'd say those people have a problem and they need to learn how to deal with being offended.

Addi

Is it just me or does the cover also work a as sort of criticism against people that were complaining about the caricatures that are now suddenly all #JeSuisCharlie?

Condom

Seems like the cover is tackling a big part of the cause.

And yes drawing Mohammed was clearly a big part of the cause.

The cause is socio-economic issues, fueled with extra with global military/political hazards.

The drawings as are the murder were mere actions that resulted from the current situation.

Again, why look deeper right. Let's just focus on freedom of speech, the nearly bankrupt magazine on life support etc. etc.

Really ironic that without the murder, Charlie Hebdo would die off quickly anyway. It was a magazine on it's way out, grasping at straws.

Magni

Then its cashing in.

The cause is socio-economic issues, fueled with extra with global military/political hazards.

The drawings as are the murder were mere actions that resulted from the current situation.

Again, why look deeper right. Let's just focus on freedom of speech, the nearly bankrupt magazine on life support etc. etc.

Really ironic that without the murder, Charlie Hebdo would die off quickly anyway. It was a magazine on it's way out, grasping at straws.

The magazine might have been on its way out, but that type of humor was not. Nothing in sacred, and in France, we like to make sure it stays that way.

reckless

All "causes" besides the cartoons being drawn are just speculation. They killers clearly stated their reasons why they did it and the magazine had been attacked before for the same reason.

Like I said even if was intended so what?

I'd say not drawing him would embolden extremists because they would be able to claim a victory.

If drawings are enough to provoke people then I'd say those people have a problem and they need to learn how to deal with being offended.

I've given loads of arguments as to why it's in poor judgment / taste. Did you even read my original post? I gave an example of what I would have done which definitely wouldn't have had terrorists claiming a "Victory" whilst also not pissing off a minority who traditionally have have limited exposure to satire. As we're just going round in circles now, I'm just going to drop this since it's like, 0:40 here and I'm knackered.

Scrooged

You have to be blind to not realize that the religious beliefs in and of themselves are the core reason this happened. Economies and politics of Arab nations are ornaments of the extremist tree.

The flames represent holy light (Nur) and are reserved for depictions of prophets.

I actually find Turkish/Persian/Indian miniature paintings of Islamic mythology aesthetically fascinating. Just like with other religious art (Renaissance Christian art or Ancient Greek art) it's possible to appreciate them as an Atheist.

I made a joke but I actually really like this kind of art too, as well as the whole Islamic mythology. (I love reading about all sorts of mythologies and I wish pop culture and fantasy works would diversify a bit more, instead of focusing only on the usual Greek and Norse myths.)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Why are we talking about economic and social conditions in the middle east countries when the terrorists from Paris were born and raised in France? And got radicalized not following some dramatic events, but either under the influence of a radical imam or when in prison for a petty crime?

Wow, Im amazed at the amount of people who have joined the "But" brigade. As in "I believe in free speech but...."

totally shameful.

Scrooged

Why are we talking about economic and social conditions in the middle east countries when the terrorists from Paris were born and raised in France? And got radicalized not following some dramatic events, but either under the influence of a radical imam or when in prison for a petty crime?

Because there is school of thought that puts religion at the last reason why Islamic extremism exists. It's not what the holy books say....it's not what scientific polls say...it's not what the extremists say...it's not the history of the region/religion....they are all just products of the West, first and foremost. It's the ultimate in victim blaming.

Condom

You have to be blind to not realize that the religious beliefs in and of themselves are the core reason this happened. Economies and politics of Arab nations are ornaments of the extremist tree.

Yes. Extremist ideologies have an origin in rich Arab countries that don't need a traditional economic structure to keep up, in western and poorer arab countries they prey on the hopeless to form their army.

Jordan or Tunesia for example would go bankrupt with Saudi-Arabia's laws like not letting women drive.

End results must either be keeping the faith in a good future for the youth high or ending trade with the terrorist funding oil paradises (could lead to innocent in those countries getting hurt though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom