• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special edition of Charlie Hebdo will feauture caricatures of Mohammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

That's not what it says here:

Or here:

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

hmm, they may have changed their plans. They also raised their publication to 3 millions instead of 1. On the other hand I don't think they did their call for donations as was initially announced, so maybe they're counting on those sales instead...
To be honest I'd rather have made a donation than bought a copy of Charlie Hebdo, but this one is for history...

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
To you may be it's a simple drawing, but not to hundreds of millions of muslims, may be more, who don't support the killing but don't want to see their beloved prophet being drawn like that.

Okay. And they have the right to be offended. So what? In case you missed it, the core principal people are defending is free speech.

Whilst I'm not saying they can't put whatever they like on their comics, it's a shame they went straight back to doing stuff about Mohammad. It'd be much more poignant if they did something actually targeting the terrorists specifically. You can still have satire without pissing off good people.

For example, something as simple as an image depicting two Muslims on a train. One in combat gear with an AK, the other putting distance between himself and the obvious radical with the caption "I won't ride with you".

I have uploaded the cover as a photo on my Facebook (so it will always be under "Photos" in my profile and this insures the most number of my friends/people will see it in the coming days) with the following text:

Cover of Charlie Hebdo's next edition revealed.

The cover of the issue features the Prophet Muhammed holding a sign that says "Je Suis Charlie," the popular slogan being used by many in support of the magazine. Above Muhammed's head are the words "All is forgiven."

3 million copies will be printed, with financial help from Google, Le Monde and other organizations.The issue will be offered in 16 languages for readers around the world, it will feature cartoons making fun of Muhammed, as well as other figures.

Generally, the magazine prints about 60,000 copies per week, selling 30,000. Revenue from the issue will go towards ensuring the survival of the magazine, which has been near bankruptcy in recent years. Other efforts are underway to ensure the continued existence of the magazine.

Considering I live in the Middle East and 90% of my friends are Arab/Muslim... this gun be good.

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

all the devoted Muslims can learn to deal with their holy figure being the subject of satire. just because Muslims treat the prophet Mohammed as a revered figure doesn't mean everyone else has to, he's fair game for artists and writers, or really anyone wishing to depict or discuss him.

PopeReal

Whilst I'm not saying they can't put whatever they like on their comics, it's a shame they went straight back to doing stuff about Mohammad. It'd be much more poignant if they did something actually targeting the terrorists specifically. You can still have satire without pissing off good people.

For example, something as simple as an image depicting two Muslims on a train. One in combat gear with an AK, the other putting distance between himself and the obvious radical with the caption "I won't ride with you".

Actually it would be a shame if they didn't print what they wanted to.

hmm, they may have changed their plans. They also raised their publication to 3 millions instead of 1. On the other hand I don't think they did their call for donations as was initially announced, so maybe they're counting on those sales instead...
To be honest I'd rather have made a donation than bought a copy of Charlie Hebdo, but this one is for history...

In one of the articles I linked it says the donation/crowd funding was done too.

Other efforts are underway to ensure the continued existence of the magazine. A fundraiser was started Saturday on French crowdfunding website Leetchi. More than $169,000 has been raised.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this...-first-post-attack-cover-2015-1#ixzz3OeS0k2jj

Is there gonna be any way to buy this in the US?

There's nothing in the Qu'ran prohibiting representations of Muhammad. As a matter of fact, it's commonly done in Shia Islam.

Even ignoring this issue, it's an islamic "law".
Why should non-muslims in a country with a big principle of laicity abide by it? Should french restaurants stop serving lobster because it's forbidden by the Torah? Should coffee shop owners in the Netherlands be arrested because selling cannabis is forbidden in most countries? Should Germany stop raising taxes for the church because in France it stopped over 100 years ago?

Unless you can give a reasonable explanation as to why these things should happen as well, then you have to understand that there is absolutely no grounds for asking them to stop. There is no and shouldn't be a special case for religion. If you start with that, there won't be an end of it.

I agree with your post but something doesn't have to be in the Quran to be part of Islamic law. There are quite a few sources and the hadith if not contradicted by the Quran I believe are held to similar standard as a source of rules.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
There's nothing in the Qu'ran prohibiting representations of Muhammad. As a matter of fact, it's commonly done in Shia Islam.

Why should non-muslims in a country with a big principle of laicity abide by it? Should french restaurants stop serving lobster because it's forbidden by the Torah? Should coffee shop owners in the Netherlands be arrested because selling cannabis is forbidden in most countries? Should Germany stop raising taxes for the church because in France it stopped over 100 years ago?

Unless you can give a reasonable explanation as to why these things should happen as well, then you have to understand that there is absolutely no grounds for asking them to stop. There is no and shouldn't be a special case for religion. If you start with that, there won't be an end of it.

wow, i never knew this. that's pretty cool and reassuring actually.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

When people are attacked for simply depicting Mohammad, then the response should be an overabundance of people depicting Mohammad. We simply cannot let these terrorists dictate what kind of satire is acceptable. These depictions don't have to be distasteful...so what Charlie is doing is perfect.

Fun fact: Depicting Mohammad used to be fine. It become taboo only a few hundred years ago.
http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/islamic_mo_full/

Actually it would be a shame if they didn't print what they wanted to.

Yeah it would. Hence I didn't say that.

The implication of what I said being that it's a shame that this is what they felt like going with when they could have done something better.

You see, what I'm doing is expressing my opinion and disappointment. Or do we only get "Freedom of speech" if we write a cartoon? <_<

dosh

That's a rather reasonnable way of explaining things - it probably helps that I agree, of course, but still.
Also, I didn't know shellfishes were forbidden by the Torah. The more you know.

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

I know what your saying and I too agree. While the circumstance is sad and they have every right to be outraged, it's fucked up that they're going to bash an entire religion to just piss of just a fringe radical sector of the extremist. If an attack like this were to happen in the U.S. we wouldn't be attacking all Christians because that religion isn't foreign to us. We have an understanding that perpetrators of horrid acts are lone actors that have little to do with the said religion they are subscribed to. Yet for whatever reason, we tend to forget this when relating to other cultures/religion. But come on Holmes, how dare you have an opinion on the internet!

reckless

Yeah it would. Hence I didn't say that.

The implication of what I said being that it's a shame that this is what they felt like going with when they could have done something better.

You see, what I'm doing is expressing my opinion and disappointment. Or do we only get "Freedom of speech" if we write a cartoon? <_<

I think doubling down on a cartoon of Mohammed shows a much more powerful message since that's what started all of this. He is also drawn in a way such that most people, even Muslims that don't particularly like him being drawn can agree with the message of the cover.

That's a rather reasonnable way of explaining things - it probably helps that I agree, of course, but still.
Also, I didn't know shellfishes were forbidden by the Torah. The more you know.

This is one of the biggest known kosher rules outside of no pork

When people are attacked for simply depicting Mohammad, then the response should be an overabundance of people depicting Mohammad. We simply cannot let these terrorists dictate what kind of satire is acceptable. These depictions don't have to be distasteful...so what Charlie is doing is perfect.

Fun fact: Depicting Mohammad used to be fine. It become taboo only a few hundred years ago.
http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/islamic_mo_full/
burning.jpg

Mohammed, along with Buraq and Gabriel, visit Hell, and see a demon punishing "shameless women" who had exposed their hair to strangers. For this crime of inciting lust in men, the women are strung up by their hair and burned for eternity. Persian, 15th century.
oh shit

PopeReal

I know what your saying and I too agree. While the circumstance is sad and they have every right to be outraged, it's fucked up that they're going to bash an entire religion to just piss of just a fringe radical sector of the extremist. If an attack like this were to happen in the U.S. we wouldn't be attacking all Christians because that religion isn't foreign to us. We have an understanding that perpetrators of horrid acts are lone actors that have little to do with the said religion they are subscribed to. Yet for whatever reason, we tend to forget this when relating to other cultures/religion. But come on Holmes, how dare you have an opinion on the internet!

He can have an opinion and I can say that opinion is stupid as shit.

Satire doesn't have to relate or bend over backwards for religions or anything else.

krioto

To you may be it's a simple drawing, but not to hundreds of millions of muslims, may be more, who don't support the killing but don't want to see their beloved prophet being drawn like that.

so? I'd get a better god/prophet if my current one was so sensitive.

This is still taught to kids today. It was told to me as a child (not just about women, but general gruesome things that will happen to sinners in hell), and now my 5 year old nephew believes it.

smfh

If anyone is confused, I'm an atheist in a muslim family. 'tis not fun.

Anecdote: my mom doesn't cover her hair, but my sister in law does. My 3-year old nephew asked his grandmother (my mother) why doesn't she cover her hair like his mom, she asked him if he would want her to, he replied No.

They don't seem particularly bothered that they're standing in fire.

I mean, you'd expect more than a look of complete indifference.

And what's the deal with the human centipede?

Wanchan

While we are on the subject of Prophet Muhammad's depictions, Iran is coming out with a biographical movie about him next month. It's the biggest Iranian movie as far as budget is concerned. It's also by the director of one of the best movies ever created, Children of Heaven.

Damn, so ISIS and Al'Qaeda will kill Iranian peoples soon then.

Stay Safe, IranGAF.

All i can see is 2 cowards not helping women and an African Demon.

Kezen

Banned
Excellent move. It will only prove to radical Muslims that they have failed miserably, CH are absolutely entitled to make fun of whatever religion.

I think doubling down on a cartoon of Mohammed shows a much more powerful message since that's what started all of this. He is also drawn in a way such that most people, even Muslims that don't particularly like him being drawn can agree with the message of the cover.

Some might see it as a sign of solidarity. A good deal of innocent Muslims could easily misinterpret it and add to a growing sense of persecution.

Personally, coming from a stance that I want there to be LESS Muslims feeling like the world is out to get them, I feel that a better way to go about it is to shout as loud as possible that people are not blaming them for the actions of a few terrible humans.

However, I don't work at Charlie Hebdo so I don't make these decisions. The cartoon could be tasteful, it could be disgusting. They aren't particularly well known for being tasteful though.

What's that quote again? "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". That's pretty much my stance on the whole thing.

While we are on the subject of Prophet Muhammad's depictions, Iran is coming out with a biographical movie about him next month. It's the biggest Iranian movie as far as budget is concerned. It's also by the director of one of the best movies ever created, Children of Heaven.
though
Majidi pulled out of a Danish film festival in protest against the publication in Denmark of cartoons satirizing the Islamic prophet, Muhammad. Majidi stated that he was withdrawing "to protest against insulting any religious belief or icon".[3] Majidi writes, "I believe in God and live with my beliefs in every single moment of my life. I would like to protest against insulting any religious belief and icon. For this reason, I would like to announce my withdrawal from your festival."

and they say they aren't showing his face\

Considering difficulties and Islamic beliefs on the portrayal of the face of Muhammad, Majidi stated, "The face of the Prophet is not shown in the film. By hiding his face I will make the character more intriguing for the viewer."[1] To clear the controversies attached with the project, he said, "The film contains no controversies and no differences between the Shia and the Sunni points of view."[1] The story ends with his journey to Syria and encounter with Bahira.[4]

Moff

vpance

Can't everyone come to a compromise? I guess this is why there will always be conflict around the world, where everything has to be 100% this way or 100% the other way.

The one thing that kind of gets my eyebrow raised is the satire trump card. I wish I could pull that out in every aspect of society, and one should allowed to be pissed. It would make life at work (or anywhere! for that matter) a lot more fun.

reckless

Some might see it as a sign of solidarity. A good deal of innocent Muslims could easily misinterpret it and add to a growing sense of persecution.

Personally, coming from a stance that I want there to be LESS Muslims feeling like the world is out to get them, I feel that a better way to go about it is to shout as loud as possible that people are not blaming them for the actions of a few terrible humans.

However, I don't work at Charlie Hebdo so I don't make these decisions. The cartoon could be tasteful, it could be disgusting. They aren't particularly well known for being tasteful though.

What's that quote again? "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it". That's pretty much my stance on the whole thing.

Well if people make horrible interpretations of art that make no sense then anything could be seen as a growing sense of persecution.

If someone sees that cover as persecuting Muslims in some way then I'm guessing they would see persecution in pretty much any cover so there is no point in worrying about offending them.

thanks for the heads up, with all the talk about him in the last week I was actually wondering if there was a movie about muhammads life, i dont think I ever heard of one.

There is a popular one from 1976, it used to air on TV when I was young (I never watched it). You don't see or hear Muhammad in it though, it's like Half-Life when he's in the scene, first-person silent protagonist.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

The most commonly told story is how in the 7th century, Al-Buraq carried the Islamic prophet Muhammad from Mecca to Jerusalem and back during the Isra and Mi'raj or "Night Journey", which is the title of one of the chapters (sura), Al-Isra, of the Quran.

wat

Mohammed rode a flying horse from Mecca to Jerusalem while he was alive. That right there is enough for a comic if they plan on making fun of him inside the issue.

Raist

Banned
I agree with your post but something doesn't have to be in the Quran to be part of Islamic law. There are quite a few sources and the hadith if not contradicted by the Quran I believe are held to similar standard as a source of rules.

Sure. I was merely pointing out that this does not apply to every muslim.

The thing with the Sunni hadith is that they are, as far as I can tell, entirely based on mainly two things in the Qu'ran:

- an aversion to pagan idols.
- more generally problns with depictions of Allah's creations, so human beings and animals and not just "important" people.

Now obviously this particularly extend to him later on as a rejection of idolatry, but that's what makes the issue particularly ironical.

Addi

Can't everyone come to a compromise? I guess this is why there will always be conflict around the world, where everything has to be 100% this way or 100% the other way.

The one thing that kind of gets my eyebrow raised is the satire trump card. I wish I could pull that out in every aspect of society, and one should allowed to be pissed. It would make life at work (or anywhere! for that matter) a lot more fun.

h4mCcxh.jpg

Xcellere

This is still taught to kids today. It was told to me as a child (not just about women, but general gruesome things that will happen to sinners in hell), and now my 5 year old nephew believes it.

smfh

If anyone is confused, I'm an atheist in a muslim family. 'tis not fun.

Anecdote: my mom doesn't cover her hair, but my sister in law does. My 3-year old nephew asked his grandmother (my mother) why doesn't she cover her hair like his mom, she asked him if he would want her to, he replied No.

A gay atheist living with a muslim family? Fuck that.

Well if people make horrible interpretations of art that make no sense then anything could be seen as a growing sense of persecution.

If someone sees that cover as persecuting Muslims in some way then I'm guessing they would see persecution in pretty much any cover so there is no point in worrying about offending them.

It's already been pointed out that his head is suspiciously penis shaped. We have no idea what's actually in the comic, but the fact they've gone straight back to the point of contention indicates that it probably won't be pulling many punches.

And we're talking about a minority that has been getting shit from everywhere. We've had public figures speaking out and putting a burden of blame on Muslims who have had nothing to do with this. My ex constantly had to deal with people assuming she was sikh because she didn't look like a typical Muslim, and when she'd correct them they'd suddenly go silent and everything would get awkward.

There are plenty of good ways to go about showing that you're not going to give in to terrorism. I just feel that this isn't the best response.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/middle-ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom