• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Special edition of Charlie Hebdo will feauture caricatures of Mohammed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy70

How are you getting this out of this cover? So, for the sake of the argument, let's just pretend that's an ordinary Muslim. Now what? He's Charlie. Like a lot of Muslims were in the demonstration. Now that's racist because...?

First of all there is the appearance which looks very stereotypical and racist. I could see someone getting the message: "Muslim holding I am Charlie sign nervously in order to try to disguise themselves."

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't responsible, but that doesn't mean they can't help. Look at the cover for this issue. How is a person looking at it supposed to know that it's supposed to be Muhammad and not an everyday innocent Muslim? Since Muhammad doesn't have a widely accepted appearance, they need to clarify who that is. Some people are going to get the message that it's ok to discriminate and be racist.

You don't get satire.

What's your thoughts on the cover?

I'm fine with the cover. Definitely not designed in poor taste (well, I take that back, the penis thing was a tasteless move), definitely not a hateful depiction. I'd argue that the message seems a bit messy (since Mohammed is a figure who represents all of Islam, the cover seems to suggest that all of Islam ought to apologize/be forgiven - even moderates who don't participate in or support violence), but it seems very much aimed at a kind of subdued middle ground.

... But is that it, though?

Magni

First of all there is the appearance which looks very stereotypical and racist. I could see someone getting the message: "Muslim holding I am Charlie sign nervously in order to try to disguise themselves."

You're reaching, and you don't get satire.

DOWN

Banned
That's not how it works.

I'm fine with the cover. Definitely not designed in poor taste, definitely not a hateful depiction. I'd argue that the message seems a bit messy (since Mohammed is a figure who represents all of Islam, the cover seems to suggest that all of Islam ought to apologize/be forgiven - even moderates who don't participate in or support violence), but it seems very much aimed at a kind of subdued middle ground.

... But is that it, though?
My interpretation is that even Muhammad is sorry for the victims, because he'd never want them to be killed in the first place. It implicitly ridicules terrorists.

That's... surprisingly tasteful.

Ahem...

B7LjvLSCUAAf5U8.jpg

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

That's their art style. It's called caricature, and they do it for every topic. You're really looking to be offended here.

I wonder if there's going to be a lot of disappointed people who will turn against the magazine itself and see this as chickening out. Though it also depends on the rest of the cartoons in the issue. It will be really surprising if everything is ''just'' this.
I'm not the only one who sees a penis within a penis right?
Are you trying to incite riots?!

Cyan

Banned

I don't think we need to dig too deep on this one. Pretty sure it's showing exactly what it seems to be showing: Mohammad holding a "Je suis Charlie" sign, thereby standing in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo against extremists. Which is right in line with moderate Muslims who argue that the actions of these extremists are not in accordance with the Islamic religion.

My interpretation is that even Muhammad is sorry for the victims, because he'd never want them to be killed in the first place. It implicitly ridicules terrorists.

Ahem...

reminds me of when southpark did a gag on Osama Bin Laden's penis. It was so small they had to pull out a 100x magnifying glass

Seventy70

I don't think we need to dig too deep on this one. Pretty sure it's showing exactly what it seems to be showing: Mohammad holding a "Je suis Charlie" sign, thereby standing in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo against extremists. Which is right in line with moderate Muslims who argue that the actions of these extremists are not in accordance with the Islamic religion.

I guess I must be misinterpreting it. The caricature stuff has been throwing me off since a lot of it looks racist, but if that's satire, I probably just don't understand.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'd argue that the message seems a bit messy (since Mohammed is a figure who represents all of Islam, the cover seems to suggest that all of Islam ought to apologize/be forgiven - even moderates who don't participate in or support violence), but it seems very much aimed at a kind of subdued middle ground.

I have to admit that I don't really understand the cover and what message it wants to express.

The ones responsible for the murders did not apologize, and apart from that most Muslims seem to reject the position that their religion in parts responsible for the events. So the title cannot be an answer to an actual apology. One might even interpret it as indirectly blaming Islam as a whole for the attacks by suggesting that Islam as a whole should be apologizing.

It's a bit confusing.

roddur

Drawing a caricature of prophet Muhammad will definitely offend a lot of muslim people if not all, whether it's regular folks or extremists.

It's pretty clear from the responses in this thread, until something steps over you, nobody gives as shit about others.

Magni

I have to admit that I don't really understand the cover and what message it wants to express.

The ones responsible for the murders did not apologize, and apart from that most Muslims seem to reject the position that their religion in parts responsible for the events. So the title cannot be an answer to an actual apology. One might even interpret it as indirectly blaming Islam as a whole for the attacks by suggesting that Islam as a whole should be apologizing.

It's a bit confusing.

Wait what? Since when does someone need to apologize to be forgiven?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wait what? Since when does someone need to apologize to be forgiven?

Not saying that that has to be the case. Just trying to interpret what they want to express by forgiving somebody who has not apologized.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Drawing a caricature of prophet Muhammad will definitely offend a lot of muslim people if not all, whether it's regular folks or extremists.

It's pretty clear from the responses in this thread, until something steps over you, nobody gives as shit about others.

IMO if you are offended by a simple drawing, you are doubting your own faith. It's a drawing. Pencil on paper. It doesn't mean anything unless you aren't comfortable in your own beliefs.

Dai Kaiju

And USA calls frenchmen cowards...

Yeah yeah, at least in France the terrorists doesn't win.

Not really. We still poke fun at the French in some media for surrendering to Germany in WWII but nobody actually takes it seriously. Also, if you're suggesting that we DO let terrorists win...just take a look at the world news on the channel of your choice. We aren't exactly playing patty cake with extremists.
I applaud the French for standing their ground when it comes to free speech but it isn't an option in the States. It's simply not worth the risk at this point. People are being murdered over fucking CARTOONS.

roddur

IMO if you are offended by a simple drawing, you are doubting your own faith. It's a drawing. Pencil on paper. It doesn't mean anything unless you aren't comfortable in your own beliefs.

To you may be it's a simple drawing, but not to hundreds of millions of muslims, may be more, who don't support the killing but don't want to see their beloved prophet being drawn like that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

it's a picture of the prophet crying because someone was murdered in his name. is that really so offensive? what's more important? a clear concise message that islam is meant to be a religion of peace in a clever and meaningful way, or adhering the rule that no one is suppose to draw the guy?

sure there might be another picture that does both, without depicting the prophet, but this all started because someone was killed for drawing him. this seems like the perfect cover, and the perfect message.

PopeReal

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

How dare anyone be insulted or offended.

Seriously everyone can fuck off with this type of shit. If we start shutting everything down because we don't like it or it hurts our feelings than we aren't going to have anything left.

Get over yourself and your holier than thou feelings.

Money will go to the families of the victims.

That's not what it says here:

Wednesday's edition aims to raise fresh cash to ensure the survival of the weekly, with all revenue from the sales, at three euros ($3.5) a copy, going to Charlie Hebdo once the cost of the paper has been deducted.

Or here:

Revenue from the issue will go toward ensuring the survival of the magazine, which has been near bankruptcy in recent years.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

To you may be it's a simple drawing, but not to hundreds of millions of muslims, may be more, who don't support the killing but don't want to see their beloved prophet being drawn like that.

I'm a Christian. Do you think I want to see the guy I believe was born into this earth to die in an absolutely gruesome and torturous so that a bunch of people who hate him and everything he ever said can have a chance to live with him for eternity drawn having an orgy with his dad, Buddha, and some Hindu(?) god? The answer is no, but I deal with it.

Can't believe they're gonna insult all devoted Muslims to send the middle finger to some extremist terrorists. They have no integrity.

Seriously, does anyone really give a shit over "offending" a religious group via cartoons? Why must we always "think about offending" people over such small things, if you can't handle it then don't look at it and move on.

I can't stand the idea of self censorship because people might get their feelings hurt.

So what.

Abounder

Banned

Those Muslims would be ignorant of freedom of speech and the sacrifices it took to get that freedom

Raist

Banned

There's nothing in the Qu'ran prohibiting representations of Muhammad. As a matter of fact, it's commonly done in Shia Islam.

Even ignoring this issue, it's an islamic "law".
Why should non-muslims in a country with a big principle of laicity abide by it? Should french restaurants stop serving lobster because it's forbidden by the Torah? Should coffee shop owners in the Netherlands be arrested because selling cannabis is forbidden in most countries? Should Germany stop raising taxes for the church because in France it stopped over 100 years ago?

Unless you can give a reasonable explanation as to why these things should happen as well, then you have to understand that there is absolutely no grounds for asking them to stop. There is no and shouldn't be a special case for religion. If you start with that, there won't be an end of it.

France is a republic that is secular.
That didn't happen over night, they just don't want to go back in time when the clergy and the church dictated everyone's way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom