• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

E the Shaggy

200_s.gif

The Disney has been trying for years to get the rights to Spider-Man apparently, offering billions (meaning that they consider his acquisition on the same level as the Star Wars franchise). Sony refused though, and still no money has changed hands between the two studios.

Apparently, it's "instead seen as a quid pro quo transaction" which will see both Marvel and Sony feel the benefits. The former (who still control the merchandising rights to the character) are said to be very pleased as the effect on sales this deal will have should be bigger than any financial sort of offering Sony could have come up with. One insider claims that: "Sony would never have made this deal if they still retained the merchandising rights. Even a poor performing movie could be saved by strong merchandise sales, and Spider-Man is one of the bigger brands out there."

Despite the fact that Marvel are effectively taking over the franchise, Sony and Pascal will still have influence over who ends up playing the character, and the hunt is now on for "an actor much younger than 31-year-old Andrew Garfield." They're also looking for a writer, so maybe Drew Goddard has been dumped along with Marc Webb (who has now also been confirmed as not making a return) and everyone else who was attached to the upcoming movies. Matt Tolmach and Satan Avi Arad have been downgraded to executive producers from producers, a meaningless title which will see tham have "no real say in the creative direction of the franchise".

Meanwhile, one of the most interesting tidbits is the fact that, "One knowledgeable source sees the move as a first step to Marvel re-acquiring the rights to Spider-Man down the road, while another believes Disney is positioning itself to acquire Sony should it ever become available."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=115072

Pavaloo

tumblr_n0flooNMn71rprk8wo7_250.gif

What's so good about it?

Acting, script, directing, editing, score, etc. Every facet, all top notch. Even if you think MJ is a dud the performances of others are enough to take over. Pretty much the blueprint for the Marvel movies in the years to come (the billion dollar industry today).

Now this is what a superhero movie should be. "Spider-Man 2" believes in its story in the same way serious comic readers believe, when the adventures on the page express their own dreams and wishes. It's not camp and it's not nostalgia, it's not wall-to-wall special effects and it's not pickled in angst. It's simply and poignantly a realization that being Spider-Man is a burden that Peter Parker is not entirely willing to bear.

There are moviegoers who make a point of missing superhero movies, and I can't blame them, although I confess to a weakness for the genre. I liked both of the "Crow" movies, and "Daredevil," "Hulk" and "X2: X-Men United," but not enough to recommend them to friends who don't like or understand comic books. "Spider-Man 2" is in another category: It's a real movie, full-blooded and smart, with qualities even for those who have no idea who Stan Lee is. It's a superhero movie for people who don't go to superhero movies, and for those who do, it's the one they've been yearning for.
Roger Ebert on S-M2

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Tony's gonna get rid of JARVIS and use Bing now, right?

"One knowledgeable source sees the move as a first step to Marvel re-acquiring the rights to Spider-Man down the road, while another believes Disney is positioning itself to acquire Sony should it ever become available."

Not sure what Disney would do with all of Sony, maybe just the Pictures side, even that's a stretch.

Dalek

It's still dripping with that wonderful Raimi cheese though. His trilogy is a 70's comic book, for better AND worse.

Yeah at the time, the cheese came with the course. Most comic movies had it-which is why now they seem so dated. Humor can be more refined.

Don't get me started on X-Men 1 (2000). Hoofa.

Ponn

Banned
I hope they go with miles if only for the meltdown

I don't really feel there would be a big meltdown. At this point i'm sure quite a few people are feeling Peter Parker/Spider-Man fatigue and would welcome something different. It might be a little awkward to not have Peter Parker in that universe before hand though since he played a part in Miles origin but it's a minor sticking point.

Be careful to not assume people don't want something different/more genders/more races represented in comic films just because they don't like ESTABLISHED characters altered and changed.

I can't see Disney acquiring Sony as a whole. Sony Pictures and the entertainment arm of the company, sure. But not the electronics side of things (or insurance, lol).

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm happy this is finally happening. We've been talking, wishing, and waiting for this moment but still. Two movies down the drain and for what? Rights retention? What a waste. Garfield was a great Spider-Man IMO. All this could've been avoided if Sony were more reasonable in the first place.

But whatever, what's done is done.

Dalek

I can't see Disney acquiring Sony as a whole. Sony Pictures and the entertainment arm of the company, sure. But not the electronics side of things (or insurance, lol).

Spider-Man and the Bond franchise are the only things of worth in Sony's salvo. I really do wish Disney could buy them outright though. It would just ease up the integration of everything without strings attached. Osborn, Thunderbolts, Daily Bugle, JJJ, Miles, etc.

jph139

The original Spider-Man trilogy is inherently old school schlocky. There's times where it feels like Stan Lee himself was writing... it's a comic book movie that wants to be a comic book movie. And I love it for that. But I love cheesy stuff - it's one of the reasons The First Avenger is still head-and-shoulders above the rest of the MCU in my eyes.

But yeah, best superhero duology ever, not a doubt in my mind. I doubt the new series will be even close... but it's not trying to be. So I'm not worried.

Sephzilla

They should definitely get Jake Gyllenhal to play Parker.

I don't want a young teen Parker again. Let's get an older, engaged/married Parker, who is still as snarky as ever, but more experienced and out of the whole teenage angst thing.

c267dd9f324c28878e84ff155d19671c.jpg

anaron

Why are some Spiderman fans so goddamn wrong. He absolutely needs to be a (poor) struggling teenager in this world to play off of the MCU in the most classic, interesting ways.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
IT'S YOU WHO'S OUT GOBBY

OUT OF YOUR MIND

SLEEEEEEP

hqdefault.jpg

INCY WINCY SPIDAAAAH

JOIN ME SPIDER-MAN

spiderman_1.jpg

Think about it, hero.

BOOONESAW IS READY

RIP. best movies we'll ever get in this genre.

OUT AM I?
1386060716116.png

FIRST, WE ATTACK HIS HEART!!!
spider-man-norman-osborn-willem-dafoe-goblin-smile.png

Don't tell HARREEEEEEHH

dont.tellmyson.jpg

200_s.gif

God-tier.

I could SQUASH YOU LIKE A BUG right now

16494146052_de3de5b199_c.jpg

IMPRESSIVE

THE POWER OF THE SUN

IN THE PALM OF MY HAND

oooOOOOOOHHH

I'm fucking dead

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
At the end of the day you know you'd rather watch Spider-Man 1 than Iron Man 2 and 3 or Thor 2 any time.

50cfdd8c8a5b58e660675252cb5202e2.jpg

Wazzy

Banned
They should definitely get Jake Gyllenhal to play Parker.

I don't want a young teen Parker again. Let's get an older, engaged/married Parker, who is still as snarky as ever, but more experienced and out of the whole teenage angst thing.

c267dd9f324c28878e84ff155d19671c.jpg
So basically let's take away everything that makes Peters struggles interesting.

No thanks.

Nibel

What is this obsession with Garfield? I thought he was a terrible Peter Parker; way too hipsterish and cool for some outsider.
e5YuU.gif

Top Bottom