• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Dead Man

If only Tommy Lee Jones was younger.

07fa06bf621355f0012d0aa87d70f6b6.jpg

That would have worked.

Flintty

Who should the villain in the 2017 film be?

They should focus on smaller enemies (Shocker maybe) and only lay groundwork for thee A listers. No Goblin, no venom, no Doc Oc. They need to get the actors fir the big ones signed up now and introduce them as normals and let relationships flourish. Ffs, don't rush enemies like they did in ASM2 and Raimi 3.

Who should the villain in the 2017 film be?

Kraven the Hunter. Give the film a creepy psychological thriller angle. Have Spider-Man already be notorious and taking down minor supervillains, and this dude becomes his first real threat, someone who can predict his actions, think how thinks, and hunts him throughout New York.

And then end it like this:

Kraven wins and then goes out on his own terms, and if we have a younger Spider-Man, this would really be a huge character moment for him.

Man, looking back at the original Amazing Spider-Man comics... it's amazing just how many long-lasting villains were introduced in the first 2 years. Chameleon, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, and Sandman were the villains of the first four issues. You also had Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, Green Goblin, Kraven, Scorpion, and Beetle. It's pretty rare that you have that many memorable villains in such a short amount of time.

Avixph

Which costume do you peeps want Spider-Man to wear in the new film series? For me I would like to see him wearing costume with a similar style, desing and color to the first Superior Spider-Man costume but a bit baggy like Miles Morales' first Spider-Man costume.

iEtTGuO.jpg

9HtbEQv.png

If it were me...

His origin is glossed over in Civil War.

Spider-Man 1: Kraven the Hunter

Spider-Man 2: The Sinister Six

Spider-Man 3: Green Goblin

I'd let Venom in this universe be something else that ties into the Cosmic side of the Marvel U, either Flash as a broken down vet gets access to it, or Eddie at his last rope gets access to it, and Parker never gets it. Let's get a new spin on it other than a jealous rejection angle.

Which costume do you peeps want Spider-Man to wear in the new film series? For me I would like to see him wearing costume with a similar style, desing and color to the first Superior Spider-Man costume but a bit baggy like Miles Morales' first Spider-Man costume.

iEtTGuO.jpg

Otto's costume is my absolute favourite ever. Would love something similar.

Man, looking back at the original Amazing Spider-Man comics... it's amazing just how many long-lasting villains were introduced in the first 2 years. Chameleon, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, and Sandman were the villains of the first four issues. You also had Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, Green Goblin, Kraven, Scorpion, and Beetle. It's pretty rare that you have that many memorable villains in such a short amount of time.

Vulture being Spiderman's first supervillian is still really weird to think about. I remember I had a reprinted issue of that and I always wondered how an old man with wings could possibly be a challenge to Spiderman.

Marvel can't put in anything dictating what Sony can or can't do in their contract with the actor. They don't own the character and legally have no say in what Sony does.

There is NOTHING Marvel can do to tell Sony what to do, they have no legal standing on the character. Sony is letting Marvel use the character, it is not the other way around. Technically Sony can go and have Spider-Man into a mass murderer in a Sinister Six movie if they wanted, they wouldn't do that obviously but Marvel can't tell them what they have to do. Marvel has no ownership over the character.
While true, in addition to Spidey appearing in Civil War, there's also talk of MCU characters appearing in the solo Spider-Man films. That being the case, it sounds like it would be in Sony's — and Marvel's — best interest to have the characters and stories woven as tightly as possible. So while Sony have final say over what happens to Spidey, I would expect them to mostly let Marvel lead the way with the character's overall direction. Everyone benefits from Spidey being an integral part of the MCU, and I would hope that everyone involved in the deal(s) see that.

Neoxon

While true, in addition to Spidey appearing in Civil War, there's also talk of MCU characters appearing in the solo Spider-Man films. That being the case, it sounds like it would be in Sony's — and Marvel's — best interest to have the characters and stories woven as tightly as possible. So while Sony have final say over what happens to Spidey, I would expect them to mostly let Marvel lead the way with the character's overall direction. Everyone benefits from Spidey being an integral part of the MCU, and I would hope that everyone involved in the deal(s) see that.
So essentially, the car is still owned by Sony. But Marvel's driving the car & Sony's riding shotgun.

Avixph

If it were me...

I'd let Venom in this universe be something else that ties into the Cosmic side of the Marvel U, either Flash as a broken down vet gets access to it, or Eddie at his last rope gets access to it, and Parker never gets it. Let's get a new spin on it other than a jealous rejection angle.
What about something like this for Venom?

If Venom is going to be in the new Spider-Man film series there should be multiple people that become venom at the same time throughout the films like an army and at the end only a few people such as Eddie (as classic Venom, Anti Venom, or Toxin) , Cletus (as Carnage) and Flash (as Agent Venom) get to keep their symbiote.

Kain

If it were me...

Yep, Kraven needs more love.

Also Venom is cool and all, but I like him more in an anti-heroe role. Maybe pit Spidey and Venom against Carnage or Doc Oc or something.

Also a Mysterio movie would be dope, but I don't see that happening.

Vulture being Spiderman's first supervillian is still really weird to think about. I remember I had a reprinted issue of that and I always wondered how an old man with wings could possibly be a challenge to Spiderman.

Chameleon was the first, though. A lot of people seem to forget about him, however.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
If it were me...

Get back to the original origin for Venom; Secret Wars!

secret_wars8_24.jpg

If we're filtering through genres like Marvel does, in my opinion, it should work out like this:

Spider-Man vs Kraven = Psychological thriller/chase film ala The Fugitive. Spider-Man is the prey, Kraven is the hunter. Spider-Man is Dr Richard Kimble and Kraven is Deputy US Marshall Samuel Gerards.

The Sinister Six = Run the gauntlet film. A series of escalating battles taking place across New York as the NY supervillain underworld try to kill Spider-Man once and for all.

The Green Goblin = ??? I dunno what genre this should be filtered through.

If they went with Agent Venom, it should just totally be like a Bond movie filtered through superheroics.

If they go with Eddie Brock Venom, throw him up against Cletus Cassidy and have it be a serial killer chase film, where a disgraced journalist, Brock, is chasing after a mysterious serial killer that ruined his life. It's a redemption story. Cletus Cassidy is an insane serial killer that the papers dubbed The Sin Eater and this is the case that broke Brock and ruined his career.

iEtTGuO.jpg

]
He looks like a flying squirrel there with the way his back muscle is drawn.

I'm honestly happy with ASM2's suit but with his muscles being a bit more defined throughout the suit.

Sponge

Banned
Well, Chameleon was an enemy that Spiderman and the Fantastic Four had to deal with in his first appearance. The Vulture was Spiderman's first solo enemy.

Speaking of the Fantastic Four, thank goodness Marvel and Sony were able to make a deal on Spidey. If I recall a DoFP teaser was at the end of one of the ASM movies. Could you imagine if Fox tried courting Sony into a deal, just to keep Spider-Man away from Marvel?

Cheebo

Banned
Speaking of the Fantastic Four, thank goodness Marvel and Sony were able to make a deal on Spidey. If I recall a DoFP teaser was at the end of one of the ASM movies. Could you imagine if Fox tried courting Sony into a deal, just to keep Spider-Man away from Marvel?
That was only because Marc Webb had a contract with Fox and it was the only way Sony was able to get Fox to release him so he could direct ASM2

I think Kraven is much harder to do than most of the other villains. If done, he seems to need to be introduced into an already established spectrum between reality and pulp.

Well, I'm not saying he needs to be given a lion's head vest as a costume.

He's just a broken man with nothing to live for that gets his jollies off of hunting things. Outsmarting things. He's like The Predator, right?

Someone gives him the opportunity to chase the prey of a lifetime. He's like Roland Tembo from The Lost World. You don't need to give him a ton of backstory, just let his insane actions speak for themselves, like dressing up as Spider-Man and then blowing his brains out at the end after letting Parker go.

He did it because he could.

Sanjuro

Well, I'm not saying he needs to be given a lion's head vest as a costume.

He's just a broken man with nothing to live for that gets his jollies off of hunting things. Outsmarting things. He's like The Predator, right?

Someone gives him the opportunity to chase the prey of a lifetime. He's like Roland Tembo from The Lost World. You don't need to give him a ton of backstory, just let his insane actions speak for themselves, like dressing up as Spider-Man and then blowing his brains out at the end after letting Parker go.

He did it because he could.

I'm saying it's more difficult to usher in a human character battling a superhero than introduce him after some of the primary super villains have been established.

I'd like to see him though.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I want Kraven to be the first solo Spider-Man flick villain.

1) Gives it a tight psychological angle
2) Charismatic, deadly villain that pushes Spider-Man to his absolute limits and defeats him, but also gives you the fuck yeah moment of Spider-Man crawling out of his own grave.
3) Highlights the differences between the real Spider-Man and his pretender. Why Parker IS the Spider-Man, and how Kraven can never match up. It's a good way of showing why Spider-Man as the hero is so necessary.
4) The bad guy still wins, leading Parker to continue his development as a hero.

I'm saying it's more difficult to usher in a human character battling a superhero than introduce him after some of the primary super villains have been established.

I'd like to see him though.

Honestly, I think it'd be more fascinating. I like the idea of an ordinary human beating down a superhero using just sheer ingenuity, resourcefulness, iron will, and experience.

Not all villains need to be super. They just have to push the hero to his absolute limits.

Sanjuro

If that is the case, then there is nowhere to go but down after that.

I understand the need for diversity, but we are coming out of a franchise where the most notable villain was Rhino.

Man, I'd love a David Fincher-directed Venom.

It'd border on horror, a kind of fast-paced Zodiac/Se7en style serial killer hunt film, where Eddie Brock, disgraced journalist, is hunting Cletus Kasady. Through some cruel twist of fate, both are infected with symbiotes and whereas Cletus indulges in his insane appetites and addictions, Brock resists as much as possible while tracking Cletus.

Also, you could just set it in Detroit or Chicago or something, break out of that New York locale a bit.

So essentially, the car is still owned by Sony. But Marvel's driving the car & Sony's riding shotgun.
That'd be my guess. Disney have been successful with Mavel by using the same strategy Jobs taught them for dealing with Pixar; smile, be accommodating, and collect the fat checks. Sony have been successful with Spidey, but it's clear that Marvel are firing on all cylinders right now. Sony should be looking to benefit by contributing to Marvel's efforts, not guiding them. These aren't "Sony movies" any more than they're "Disney movies." They're "Marvel movies."

The only issue I can see is if Disney get upset about Marvel making money for Sony "instead of" Disney, but Disney still own the lion's share of the properties, and I think they ones they do own are made that much stronger by Spidey's presence in the MCU.

Cheebo

Banned
That'd be my guess. Disney have been successful with Mavel by using the same strategy Jobs taught them for dealing with Pixar; smile, be accommodating, and collect the fat checks. Sony have been successful with Spidey, but it's clear that Marvel are firing on all cylinders right now. Sony should be looking to benefit by contributing to Marvel's efforts, not guiding them. These aren't "Sony movies" any more than they're "Disney movies." They're "Marvel movies."

The only issue I can see is if Disney get upset about Marvel making money for Sony "instead of" Disney, but Disney still own the lion's share of the properties, and I think they ones they do own are made that much stronger by Spidey's presence in the MCU.
disney owns merchandise rights. The better a Sony spider-man movie does the better the toy tie ins do which disney gets the money on.

Avixph

He looks like a flying squirrel there with the way his back muscle is drawn.

I'm honestly happy with ASM2's suit but with his muscles being a bit more defined throughout the suit.

Yeah that would be a good design but should be in a darker blue and red color or black and red color while also looking like it was designed and made by someone with no experience. However they can make Peter Parker be somebody that's into cosplay and has experience designing and making costumes or be friends with somebody that's into the cosplaying scene like Gwen Stacy or kamala khan.

Anyone else mind sharing their costume preference for Spider-Man?

disney owns merchandise rights. The better a Sony spider-man movie does the better the toy tie ins do which disney gets the money on.
Well, there you go. Between that and being able to integrate Spidey in to the nine movies Marvel have scheduled for Phase Three, that should keep Disney pretty happy. And if Marvel are willing to make Sony's movies better and more profitable for the rights to in exchange for use of the character, that should keep Sony happy too.

Everybody wins with Marvel at the tiller, AFAICT.

Top Bottom