• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Ophelion

Which costume do you peeps want Spider-Man to wear in the new film series? For me I would like to see him wearing costume with a similar style, desing and color to the first Superior Spider-Man costume but a bit baggy like Miles Morales' first Spider-Man costume.

I actually love Otto's second costume. It's probably my favorite Spider-Man costume. So sleek looking and with so many cool tech upgrades.

SSM032-4.jpg

But I have no illusions of getting anything of the sort. It's gunna be the classic red and blues. It's not going to be stylized to any appreciable degree. Which is fine. I guess.

Edit: Oh, please, Sony, if you want to give Spidey a costume with robotic legs, go with this one and not Iron Spider. Iron Spider is ugly as sin.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
nothing could be worse than captain america "costume" in Avengers 1. It was seriously just a hoodie. His suits in Cap 2, avengers 2 are so much better

Avixph

Miles Morales should be introduced as a grade school/ middle school aged kid that either Peter Parker or one of his friends babysits.

That'd be my guess. Disney have been successful with Mavel by using the same strategy Jobs taught them for dealing with Pixar; smile, be accommodating, and collect the fat checks. Sony have been successful with Spidey, but it's clear that Marvel are firing on all cylinders right now. Sony should be looking to benefit by contributing to Marvel's efforts, not guiding them. These aren't "Sony movies" any more than they're "Disney movies." They're "Marvel movies."

The only issue I can see is if Disney get upset about Marvel making money for Sony "instead of" Disney, but Disney still own the lion's share of the properties
, and I think they ones they do own are made that much stronger by Spidey's presence in the MCU.

This deal would have had to get approved by Bob Iger and Tom Staggs before being announced so they are already on board and don't have a problem with Sony making a profit.

Mumei

I actually love Otto's second costume. It's probably my favorite Spider-Man costume. So sleek looking and with so many cool tech upgrades.

SSM032-4.jpg

Like what?

Ultimate Spider-Man (we are talking about the comic not the awful cartoon I assume) is the best Spidey interpretation ever I think.

Maybe this will inspire those jerks at Marvel to put out the second volume of the omnibus editions. <_____<

E the Shaggy

nothing could be worse than captain america "costume" in Avengers 1. It was seriously just a hoodie. His suits in Cap 2, avengers 2 are so much better

Yeah the mask part of it was really bad.

Luckily it's been tossed and the one in Avengers 2 is, to me, the best yet.

Wrong. He told Pratt to quit reading it and to read Annihilation if anything.

Yes. He told him not to read Bendis stuff because that's not what they were doing with the movie.

There's been absolutely nothing said about how Gunn feels about Bendis' GoTG except for what's being projected by people who don't like his run (not saying that's you, BTW).

We know he invited DnA to visit the set and not Bendis.

Makes sense, why invite Bendis when you're not using his run? "Hey look at us not using any of your stuff at all!"

Ophelion

Like what?

A lot of it's tied to Otto's obsession with robotics.

A (way more logical than Iron Spider's three) set of four robotic spider legs can pop out of the back of the costume which are useful for fighting and also climbing obviously.

The panel on the top of his glove has a screen on it from which Spider-Man can see current web fluid levels, access his private network in a smart phone kind of way and see through the eyes of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of little robotic spiders Otto had dispersed throughout the city looking for crime.

He has a communicator built into the mask which is something that peter had, but added voice commands for alternate vision modes installed in the eyepieces. Some of those modes provided scientific information about things he was looking at in an Iron Man heads up display kind of way while some could shield his eyes from sudden flashes or other interference.

What are essentially claws were installed in the gloves that are retractable, but could also inject microscopic spider-trackers under the subject's skin on a scratch.

Superior Spider-Man was all about that intel. Spider-Man has always punched above his weight because he fights smarter, not harder. Superior upgrades just took that to the logical conclusion.

This deal would have had to get approved by Bob Iger and Tom Staggs before being announced so they are already on board and don't have a problem with Sony making a profit.
Oh, no question. I was thinking more down the road. Not that it isn't already, but if Spider-Man "becomes" a huge franchise, I could see Disney maybe getting upset that their "employees" — Marvel — are putting money in to the pockets of another company and tightening the reigns in response. However, since any success Sony have with the Spider-Man movies ultimately benefits Disney in the form of merchandising and strengthening their own MCU brand, I would think the two companies could continue collaborating.

Plus, if Disney are basically hiring their talent out to other studios, wouldn't they get a cut of the box office anyway? I'm not really sure how all of that works. I know these movies are being "made by Marvel" now, but they're also being made by Wheedon and Favreau. So who runs the MCU and makes sure it's actually a universe? This Feige guy? Who's he? I got the impression that Joss was fairly influential in where things were headed overall. Is that true?

Yes. He told him not to read Bendis stuff because that's not what they were doing with the movie.

There's been absolutely nothing said about how Gunn feels about Bendis' GoTG except for what's being projected by people who don't like his run.

Yes except if he liked it don't you think he would of let Pratt read it or base his movie off of it? I mean not that far of a stretch.

Plus, if Disney are basically hiring their talent out to other studios, wouldn't they get a cut of the box office anyway? I'm not really sure how all of that works. I know these movies are being "made by Marvel" now, but they're also being made by Wheedon and Favreau. So who runs the MCU and makes sure it's actually a universe? This Feige guy? Who's he? I got the impression that Joss was fairly influential in where things were headed overall. Is that true?

Yeah, seems like Marvel might get performance-based compensation similar to what a producer gets for their contributions to the movie, according to some of the articles we've seen.

^^^ Thanks. Makes sense.

But if Sony used that shotgun they'd be stuck wherever they stopped cause they don't know how to drive.
lol Well, basically. That's the same reason Disney don't use their shotgun on Marvel. Disney don't know any more about making superhero movies than Sony do. Marvel are the experts here. Disney/Sony just front the ~$200M it takes to make a decent superhero movie, and collect the profits for their trouble.

To continue the driving analogy, owning the car is a bit like owning the racing team. Yes, you want your driver to do well, but you do that by providing him with the tools he needs to win, not by trying to teach him to drive. He already knows how to drive; that's why you hired him. He just needs a fast car, which is where your participation begins and ends.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yes except if he liked it don't you think he would of let Pratt read it or base his movie off of it? I mean not that far of a stretch.

You do realise Bendis doesn't give a shit, right? Besides which, he's on the Marvel Comics-MCU council. So there's probably a few suggestions he made that reached the final film.

E the Shaggy

You do realise Bendis doesn't give a shit, right? Besides which, he's on the Marvel Comics-MCU council. So there's probably a few suggestions he made that reached the final film.

He totally gives a shit. It's why he keeps leaping onto Marvel comics that are about to have movies come out.

I guarantee you we see him on either Black Panther, Captain Marvel, or Dr. Strange next now that he's leaving the X-books.

you realize that bendis run started in march 2013 which is probably when gunn was already well into working on his draft for GOTG? why the fuck would he base his movie off a run that was just beginning?

he probably hadn't even read it or formed an opinion on it by the time he was halfway through his work.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Want to do a proper Spider-Man movie without Raimi?

Pay Jon Favreau a shit ton of money and he'll pull of something arguably better than SM1 and SM2.

you realize that bendis run started in march 2013 which is probably when gunn was already well into working on his draft for GOTG? why the fuck would he base his movie off a run that was just beginning?

he probably hadn't even read it or formed an opinion on it by the time he was halfway through his work.

He probably did. Since the early run was pretty much typical sci fi made for movies. Why do you think Bemdis jumped on GotG? Also Bendis changed it and ignored his own canon about the time GotG hit. Remember how he changed Knowhere and then changed it back?

Yeah, seems like Marvel might get performance-based compensation similar to what a producer gets for their contributions to the movie, according to some of the articles we've seen.

Supposedly, Sony gets 60% of the box-office, so that leaves Disney/Marvel with the remaining box-office and all the merchandise rights, which is where the real money is at. If Civil War does a billion, Sony gets a nice chunk, but Disney/Marvel get a two hour commercial for Spiderman-brand everything, that I'm sure is another billion besides.

Supposedly, Sony gets 60% of the box-office, so that leaves Disney/Marvel with the remaining box-office and all the merchandise rights, which is where the real money is at. If Civil War does a billion, Sony gets a nice chunk, but Disney/Marvel get a two hour commercial for Spiderman-brand everything, that I'm sure is another billion besides.
What? Sony are getting 60% of the Civil War box office just for letting Spidey appear in it? Are you sure that's right? Even if it's a Spidey movie you're talking about, Disney getting 40% for allowing the Marvel guys to make it for Sony seems like a big take. It's still Sony's project made with Sony's money, after all.

Don't think that's right. I know the 60/40 split was one of the proposals in the leaked Sony emails but according to most of the articles about the final deal, Marvel will be keeping 100% of the Cap revenues, and Sony will be keeping 100% of the Spidey revenues. The only money being exchanged is production fee for Kevin Feige/Marvel.

Top Bottom