• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man is Entering The Marvel Cinematic Universe

SoilBreak

Banned
Which costume do you peeps want Spider-Man to wear in the new film series? For me I would like to see him wearing costume with a similar style, desing and color to the first Superior Spider-Man costume but a bit baggy like Miles Morales' first Spider-Man costume.

iEtTGuO.jpg

Something like Paolo Rivera's spider-man costume

SAAhOj2.jpg

R1QqeIC.jpg

I'd let Venom in this universe be something else that ties into the Cosmic side of the Marvel U, either Flash as a broken down vet gets access to it, or Eddie at his last rope gets access to it, and Parker never gets it. Let's get a new spin on it other than a jealous rejection angle.

Save Venom for GOTG or Thunderbolts movie with Osborn.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They should just take the ASM 2 suit, I think it was perfect.

Maybe give the rounded spider on the backside of his costume a try, I want to know how this looks in a live action adaption.

Cuburt

I've kind of always felt, at least since the original Spider-Man trilogy, that villains like Shocker, Mysterio, Kraven, and Chameleon would make better movie villains/translate better to film than some of Spider-Man's more recognizable enemies (Rhino, Electro, Vulture, Scorpion, etc.) at least as far as "powers" and character design go. Even must haves like Green Goblin and Doc Ock could seem a little too comic booky in their design, but I did feel that latter was adapted a little better than the former.

If I had to rank Spidey villain adaptations it would be:
1. J. Jonah Jameson (haha)
2. Doc Ock
2. Sandman (not his backstory and characterization, which knocked him down a spot, but his look and powerset)
3. Green Goblin 1 - SM1 (not his look otherwise he would have been higher)
4. Green Goblin 2 - SM3 (I really liked how Raimi handled Harry's arc but the design was really weak)
5. Lizard
6. Venom
7. Electro
8./9. Green Goblin 1 & 2 - ASM2
10. Rhino

Sanjuro

I've kind of always felt, at least since the original Spider-Man trilogy, that villains like Shocker, Mysterio, Kraven, and Chameleon would make better movie villains/translate better to film than some of Spider-Man's more recognizable enemies (Rhino, Electro, Vulture, Scorpion, etc.) at least as far as "powers" and character design go. Even must haves like Green Goblin and Doc Ock could seem a little too comic booky in their design, but I did feel that latter was adapted a little better than the former.

If I had to rank Spidey villain adaptations it would be:
1. J. Jonah Jameson (haha)
2. Doc Ock
2. Sandman (not his backstory and characterization, which knocked him down a spot, but his look and powerset)
3. Green Goblin 1 - SM1 (not his look otherwise he would have been higher)
4. Green Goblin 2 - SM3 (I really liked how Raimi handled Harry's arc but the design was really weak)
5. Lizard
6. Venom
7. Electro
8./9. Green Goblin 1 & 2 - ASM2
10. Rhino

I liked Rhino, as he was the only character with the actual motivation to attack Spiderman in the franchise.

So with the exception of Iron Man and Star Lord's helmets, this'll be the first time we have a MCU character wearing a full face mask.

Anyone wanna take bets on weather or not Marvel is gonna use CG to make Spidey'a eyes change shape like they do in the comics? :p

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Maybe it's finally time to make the eyes on his mask emote. I know, it's ridiculous in live action, but... maybe it can work?!??!

I just can't take the static-eye spider man seriously, when he has the mask on it's like he's a robot, no matter how much he wise-cracks. There's a reason they kept finding a reason to take it off in the movies.

[Edit] What The Fuck

Avixph

Maybe it's finally time to make the eyes on his mask emote. I know, it's ridiculous in live action, but... maybe it can work?!??!

I just can't take the static-eye spider man seriously, when he has the mask on it's like he's a robot, no matter how much he wise-cracks. There's a reason they kept finding a reason to take it off in the movies.

[Edit] What The Fuck
How about having the eyes on the mask being semi transparent in order to see Peter Parker's eyes?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
How about having the eyes on the mask being semi transparent in order to see Peter Parker's eyes?

Well with WordAssassin mentioning Iron Man, maybe they'd do something similar to what they did in the Iron Man movies, having periodic "in-helmet" shots where you see Tony's face while he talks. There's no room in there for a camera far back enough to see his face, the shot makes no sense, but people accept it and it's neat. There's no heads up display to go around Parker's face but I dunno, Something.

Avixph

Well with WordAssassin mentioning Iron Man, maybe they'd do something similar to what they did in the Iron Man movies, having periodic "in-helmet" shots where you see Tony's face while he talks. There's no room in there for a camera far back enough to see his face, the shot makes no sense, but people accept it and it's neat. There's no heads up display to go around Parker's face but I dunno, Something.
What about having the emoting be something in Peter Parker's head that the viewers can see?

Az987

all good things
Song and Disney are also in talks again to get Disneys TV channels included in PlayStation Vue which they were negotiating a while ago but it fell apart because of the cost of ESPN. I wonder if spiderman is playing a role in it.

Cuburt

Anyone else mind sharing their costume preference for Spider-Man?
Personally, I'd like to see a Spider-Man with bigger "eyes" adapted to film this time. ASM 2 eyes are great but I wouldn't be mad at them going even a little bigger. Just a little.

I may be the only one, but I'd sort of like to see the webbing under his arms make an appearance. Just something subtle, not full blown connected-from-his-waist-to-his-elbow but to me, it's always been a little flourish to his design that made him stand out from other spandex-wearing heroes, so I like when Spider-Man is drawn that way.

Also, I want the blue in his suit to be a darker shade, almost like a black with blue tint.

I don't want the "web" design on his suit to stand out so much like it has on all the movie suits so far. Being raised so much looks awkward to me.

Another minor gripe is that I'd like to see the spider symbol on his back take a shape more similar to the comics than the way they've stylized it to be so different in the movies so far (especially ASM). The same with the spider symbol on his chest. They need to stop trying to make it skinnier with legs that keep getting longer and pointier. It's like they are trying to make it disappear completely or just turn into a bunch of lines.

The ASM 2 costume was pretty good, probably my favorite movie costume so far, but in general, I think they haven't strayed too far from his classic design so besides a few tweaks, I'm sure whatever we get will be fine.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
What about having the emoting be something in Peter Parker's head that the viewers can see?

Hmmm that could be interesting, a little cut away to fantasy-land Peter and his wisecrack. If it's in his head they could make it much more expressive, actually, not being bound by anything realistic. Perhaps even using animated mask eyes in there.

disney owns merchandise rights. The better a Sony spider-man movie does the better the toy tie ins do which disney gets the money on.

The importance of this point is hard to overstate. Next to no chance this deal would have happened if Marvel and Sony were still splitting the merchandising rights.

Avixph

How do you guys think Aunt May anr Uncle Ben should be portrayed?
I think they should be portrayed a bit younger than in the Amazing Spider-Man films maybe between their 40s and 50s.

So with the exception of Iron Man and Star Lord's helmets, this'll be the first time we have a MCU character wearing a full face mask.

Anyone wanna take bets on weather or not Marvel is gonna use CG to make Spidey'a eyes change shape like they do in the comics? :p

A CG enhanced mask worked on Rorschach years ago in Watchmen. No need to go extreme with full squints; simple variations in sizes and movements of the eyes can convey his emotions. Amazing Spider-Man 2 has the most masked Spider-Man and relied on exaggerated body language. Mix the two and it can work.

I mean, Fox's Deadpool movie is gonna have the mask be CGI'd so that the eyes emote (at least going off what they did that screen test for) so I'm sure Marvel could figure something out. If they used the ASM2 costume but made they eyes move, or even just replaced the lenses between takes so we never actually witness them moving but they change shape, would be ideal IMO. I've personally never cared for static-eyed Spidey in any medium.

Cheebo

Banned
Ultimate Spider-Man (we are talking about the comic not the awful cartoon I assume) is the best Spidey interpretation ever I think.

This is a bittersweet victory for me.

I know everyone is very much in disagreement about Raimi v Webb and Andrew v Tobey but for me personally, ASM1 took the Peter I picture I know from the comics and brought him to life. You may have your own view of how Spider-man should be, but ASM1 was it for me and Andrew and Emma were perfect.
It was what I was waiting to see since I was a kid. I never was content with the Raimi movies for their portrayal of Peter, which seems more based on the hyper-nerd very early 60s version than the version I grew up with.

ASM2 was a pile of shit that 1-Hit KO'd the new franchise so I already knew it was too late for Garfield and I had already given up on it. However I'm still holding on to ASM1 as the Spidey movie for me. Garfield's my Spider-Man and I wanted so badly for him to be in the MCU before ASM2 came out. After ASM2, not so much...

I'm sure that Marvel will handle the character perfectly and I hope they surprise me. Actually I hope that it's so great that I have to take all this back. This is still a great thing. It's just a real shame that ASM2 had to ruin the Spidey that I wanted in the MCU, but at the same time, Spidey wouldn't be in the MCU if it werent for ASM2 sucking so bad. Catch 22, no way I could win this one.

Assuming they're skipping the origin story this time around, I'm planning on treating ASM1 (1 only) as a loose prequel to MCU Spidey much like how The Hulk was sort of half-connected to The Incredible Hulk, with the later basically picking up the story where the former left it even if they're technically unrelated.

Cuburt

CG eyes might actually be cool, but they'd have to keep it subtle to avoid breaking the suspension of disbelief that it is really just a mask.

If they conveyed really simple expressions like surprise/shock with his eyes widening and anger/seriousness with his brow slightly furrowing, I think that is all that would be necessary.

Actually, I might have a better, practical, solution. Since all Spider-Man would need is to be able to express a few basic expressions, it can be designed into his mask like a Noh mask and then his emotion would be expressed through his head position, other physical expression/mannerisms, and his voice.

300px-Three_pictures_of_the_same_noh_%27hawk_mask%27_showing_how_the_expression_changes_with_a_tilting_of_the_head.jpg

Even though the mask covers an actor's facial expressions, the use of the mask in Noh is not an abandonment of facial expressions altogether. Rather, its intent is to stylize and codify the facial expressions through the use of the mask and to stimulate the imagination of the audience. By using masks, actors are able to convey emotions in a more controlled manner through movements and body language. Some masks utilize lighting effect to convey different emotions through slight tilting of the head. Facing slightly upward, or "brightening" the mask, will let the mask to capture more light, revealing more features that appear laughing or smiling. Facing downward, or "clouding" it, will cause the mask to appear sad or mad
hannya4_thumb.jpg
hannya5_thumb.jpg

The Hannya mask is said to be demonic and dangerous but also sorrowful and tormented, displaying the complexity of human emotions. When the actor looks straight ahead, the mask appears frightening and angry; when tilted slightly down, the face of the demon appears to be sorrowful, as though crying.

Surely they can design Spider-Man's mask/eyes in such a way as to allow the actor to convey a few simple expressions through head position.

RangerX

Banned
Who should the villain in the 2017 film be?

Either Mysterio or Kraven the Hunter. Preferably Mysterio. Just a classic Lee/Ditko style story would be great to reintroduce Spidey. Nothing too elaborate or complicated. Just Spidey going one on one with the mesmerising mysterio. Plus he has one of the greatest costumes in all of comic book villainry.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

What Those "Sony Hack" Documents May Tell Us About Marvel's SPIDER-MAN Plans

It Might Be A Trilogy: The plan at one point was for the Marvel/Sony deal to cover a whole trilogy of new Spider-Man movies. There was no mention of this in the press release, but if this is still the plan, Spidey may end up sticking around in the Marvel Cinematic Universe until gone 2020. It was also mentioned at the time that Marvel wanted Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War.

Sam Raimi Could (But Probably Won't) Return: Amy Pascal at one point spoke to Sam Raimi about returning to direct or produce the next Spider-Man movie, but later didn't seem to have very many flattering things to say about the helmer of the original trilogy, so this one seems unlikely.

Joe And Anthony Russo Might Produce: After the talks between Marvel and Sony fell apart, Joe Russo got in touch with Amy Pascal to offer the services of him and his brother's newly-formed production company, Bullitt. However, they said that a "difficult conversation" would have to take place with current Spider-Man producers Matt Tolmach and Avi Arad, and it clearly has based on their demotion. Whether the Russos will produce the next Spider-Man after introducing him in Captain America: Civil War remains to be seen.

Spider-Man Might Just Have A "Cameo" In Captain America: Civil War: It seems obvious that Spidey's role in the Marvel movie won't be huge, but the word "cameo" was used a lot in the emails between Sony's execs. Of course, a cameo can be either 30 seconds of fifteen minutes! There was also talk of Spider-Man's appearance in this movie being used to set up Sinister Six, which IS still in development.

Spider-Man's Movie Could Include Kraven: "Kraven's Last Hunt" was suggested as a possible storyline for the next Spider-Man movie, so there's at least a chance that this could be the basis of the origin story-less reboot.

They Considered Letting Him Grow Up: Spider-Man spent over a few of his 50+ years as a high school student, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe will apparently once again depict him as a teenager. This was suggested as a direction to take the reboot in, but reliable sources have since claimed that Andrew Garfield's successor will be a teenager whose high school life is important to the stories told so this probably isn't happening.

Spider-Man Will Live In The MCU...Sort Of: As the deal was being discussed, it was mentioned that Sony didn't want Spidey's next solo film to be a continuation of the Captain America: Civil War plot just because he would be making a cameo in it. But, Spidey's new universe would "exist in a world where that story has happened" and "superheroes are now divided into two groups."

The Cameo: What does the cameo involve? Well, the plan is for Spider-Man to meet Black Widow, Captain America, and Iron Maneo, with the latter giving Spidey a new suit. That will be the Iron Spider costume from the Civil War comic book, and presumably what he wears in his first solo outing come 2017.

Spider-Man Will Join The Avengers In Infinity War: Marvel apparently want Spider-Man to appear in the Avengers: Infinity War movies that will be released May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019. In order to make that happen, Marvel asked that Sony guarantee a second standalone Spider-Man film would be released in 2019. Marvel wants that reassurance because they don't want there to be a long delay between his solo outings.

Avi Arad And Matt Tolmach Get The Boot: This has already happened, with both men demoted from producers to the meaningless role of executive producers.

Drew Goddard Will Direct: Sony apparently wanted an agreement that would see Drew Goddard both write and direct the first Spider-Man movie, but there was no mention of this in the press release. Goddard left Daredevil to work on Sinister Six, so could there be some bad blood there?

Either Mysterio or Kraven the Hunter. Preferably Mysterio. Just a classic Lee/Ditko style story would be great to reintroduce Spidey. Nothing too elaborate or complicated. Just Spidey going one on one with the mesmerising mysterio. Plus he has one of the greatest costumes in all of comic book villainry.

God damn I would love a Mysterio movie. Who'd be good to play him? Someone middle-aged who can sell a sad but not tragic backstory. A washed-up loser. Hmm...
My top picks for Mysterio.

Is this just pure speculation based on the leaks? Things have probably changed since then if so. I do agree Goddard will probably direct, though.

Top Bottom