• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ok, i maxed out my beta gear. what armor should i use now? it was annoying being the weak link amongst a group of gaffers.

I Am Now

Banned
2011-03-22-189.png

Dreavus

I am disappointed by the typing of the needle shot... piecing is kinda of crappy to have on a gun. The stuff that doesn't dodge too much like slimes and most machines resist it! Whereas it seems to be super effective against beasts, who usually dodge around like maniacs. I should have waited for a pepperbox recipe. :(

Wallach

Dreavus said:
I am disappointed by the typing of the needle shot... piecing is kinda of crappy to have on a gun. The stuff that doesn't dodge too much like slimes and most machines resist it! Whereas it seems to be super effective against beasts, who usually dodge around like maniacs. I should have waited for a pepperbox recipe. :(

The entire Antigua line is piercing, too. On the plus side, both upgrade lines pretty much maul gremins/wolvars. You just have to get used to fighting them and unloading when they can't dodge (when they're attacking/casting/yelping etc). Or if someone (aka Eeks) is freezing everything you can really rail on those types. I agree that it is dumb that they're most effective against the most dodge-happy enemies, though. Seems counter-intuitive for a weapon line that is harder to access than all of the other guns because of the jelly gems.

I went with the shadow upgrade line with my Antigua (because the 5* is called Sentenza, I mean what choice did I really have) and I'm kind of undecided on what to pair it with gun-wise. I'm keeping a Calibur in my 3rd slot for general purpose, but I'm thinking of going with a frost or fire line Alchemer. Fire seems more powerful but I hate the damn flammable slimes. Worth noting that dodge-spammy types don't seem to dodge Alchemer shots.

On a side note, I'm not sure who Kururugisuzak is here on NeoGAF but I got your Cold Iron Carver recipe.

CzarTim

What is the "end game content" in this game? Like, once you have 5* equipment, is there any point in continuing to play?

Also, I have a concern that once most players have 5*, newbies will be able to get any equipment they want at the cost of energy since there will no longer be a need for mats any more.

Einbroch

Banned
czartim said:
What is the "end game content" in this game? Like, once you have 5* equipment, is there any point in continuing to play?

Also, I have a concern that once most players have 5*, newbies will be able to get any equipment they want at the cost of energy since there will no longer be a need for mats any more.
This is what I'm somewhat afraid of. Throw in PVP and keep expanding the gear and people will stay.

That's the only current problem with the game, there is not much "End game" content. There's Royal Jelly (more Mid-game, really) and Lord Vanaduke, but yeah, it's going to need more bosses and more loot.

Unlike PSO/Diablo/etc, there aren't any classes, so to the game's benefit and detriment, there's no real reason to roll a new character.

That said, there's no reason why you can't simply stop playing and pick it up again once new content is there, there's no monthly fee after all. That's the big hook with a F2P game, there's no commitment.

Dreavus

Wallach said:
The entire Antigua line is piercing, too. On the plus side, both upgrade lines pretty much maul gremins/wolvars. You just have to get used to fighting them and unloading when they can't dodge (when they're attacking/casting/yelping etc). Or if someone (aka Eeks) is freezing everything you can really rail on those types. I agree that it is dumb that they're most effective against the most dodge-happy enemies, though. Seems counter-intuitive for a weapon line that is harder to access than all of the other guns because of the jelly gems.

I went with the shadow upgrade line with my Antigua (because the 5* is called Sentenza, I mean what choice did I really have) and I'm kind of undecided on what to pair it with gun-wise. I'm keeping a Calibur in my 3rd slot for general purpose, but I'm thinking of going with a frost or fire line Alchemer. Fire seems more powerful but I hate the damn flammable slimes. Worth noting that dodge-spammy types don't seem to dodge Alchemer shots.

On a side note, I'm not sure who Kururugisuzak is here on NeoGAF but I got your Cold Iron Carver recipe.

Upon further experimentation, you may be right; nailing wolvers with the needle shot is actually pretty awesome since the bullets fly so fast compared to the standard repeater. I am still lamenting the machine/slime resistance, but I guess something's gotta give.

Also I absolutely love the Alchemer lines. I switched back to my Firotech Alchemer after not really using it for a while, and it's awesome being able to (semi) reliably light enemies on fire without having to give up bringing a gun (for a bomb, that is). I might give up on the Needle Shot line for now and keep a look out for the Firotech Mk II and just keep that on me all the time. Which reminds me... I need to stop taking on so many weapons when I should be getting my armor up to snuff with these crowns. T3 isn't going to authorize itself!

CzarTim

Finally got my T2 gear! Had to pay for half of it though. And I still need to find a good pistol too.

I know everybody is begging for an auction house, but I like the barter system. Takes me back to the old school MMO days.

Wallach

theinfinityissue said:
So.. I finally found one of the "unique" monsters today.

What I expected: A slightly reskinned monster with insane stats and ultra rare loot.

What I got: A slime cube with a mustache, beard, and toupee, with normal stats and loot.

Disappointed? Not even a little bit.

I had a turret puppy that was white and pink with little eyes that I think were white/pink plus signs. Unfortunate he did not shoot hearts from his mouth.

Cloudius12 said:
Send Varindo a Friend Request.

I wonder if there is any guild bigger than GAF?

I glanced over SK's forums and people were complaining about the 100 person cap limit to the guild. I don't think we're there yet :p

Dreavus

Got wrecked by the Jelly King today with a few other gaffers. We need a total bad-ass like Haly or Varindo to come and help us out, otherwise it feels so hopeless. =(

Does anyone know how often he spawns smaller jellies? I know people say "ignore everything and go for him only", but there ends up being so many jellies that, as a group, wreck shields and clog up the field. If the respawn time on them is significant, than maybe it'd be worth it to clear them out a bit (provided the King himself remains poisoned/on fire/cursed)?

eek5

Dreavus said:
Got wrecked by the Jelly King today with a few other gaffers. We need a total bad-ass like Haly or Varindo to come and help us out, otherwise it feels so hopeless. =(

Does anyone know how often he spawns smaller jellies? I know people say "ignore everything and go for him only", but there ends up being so many jellies that, as a group, wreck shields and clog up the field. If the respawn time on them is significant, than maybe it'd be worth it to clear them out a bit (provided the King himself remains poisoned/on fire/cursed)?
I think people overthink the Jelly King a lot. I've played in some groups where everyone is completely anal about what is happening (they don't do any of the arenas on the way there (what a waste of earnings potential), they'll only do the minimum necessary to open gates, etc. and when they get to the final level all the preparation they did in previous level sis really for nothing because they get smashed. There is definitely strategy involved but it is really only to bumrush the king and use high dps and poison to kill him.

Here is how I approach it: At Moorcroft Manor buy 1 poison vial. It costs 75cr but it'll help with micromanagement. The reason I only buy 1 is so that I'll pick up spare ones on the way there without having to juggle potions. You can buy super potions too but I find this to be somewhat unnecessary especially since it'll be a long road to the Jelly King. The levels are pretty profitable though and 300cr isn't much considering how much you'll make. When you get to the Jelly King, have all 4 people rush up to him and start attacking. Vile Strikers are nice here since they'll auto poison, otherwise just throw vials. The key here is that EVERYONE should be attacking him. The only reason someone shouldn't be attacking is if they're moving away to heal or if they have a graviton bomb. If someone has a graviton bomb they can wipe most of the mini cubes with 1-2 of them which helps walking around.

Attacking the King Jelly is a lot like killing the yellow slugs. Swipe a couple times then put up your shield when he spins. When he start his 7 spin rampage, it is a good time to move away, heal, clear some mini cubes, or repoison.

On a semi related note, I got the graviton bomb today and it is SICK :O I joined a group with 2 other bombers. One had a fire bomb and he would put it right on top of my graviton and it'd basically create a fire tornado. It was the fastest I've ever cleared jelly palace. Best combo EVER!

I spent all my crowns and some energy trying out random crafts and the peppergun is rather awesome, good damage, lots of shots, sets things on fire, damn easily the best pistol in the game so far because it actually does some damage worth giving a damn about.

Ice pistol was ok but the moment you hit the mob he moves again, which in this game ruins the point of freezing them in the first place :(

I would love to see an AH included down the road in the future, right now it's not too bad but even some simple npc item sale management would be awesome.

PVP is not in the game yet right? this game could really do well with some 3 on 3 or some sort of ctf mode.

eek5

Quixzlizx said:
Anyone have a good suggestion for what line of helm/armor I should pair with Cutter/Voltech Alchemer/Owlite Shield?
Angelic Set is pretty good but you're going to need trojan horseshoes eventually and.. well, fuck that :/

http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Angelic_Raiment

Diablohead said:
I spent all my crowns and some energy trying out random crafts and the peppergun is rather awesome, good damage, lots of shots, sets things on fire, damn easily the best pistol in the game so far because it actually does some damage worth giving a damn about.

I have the fiery pepperbox right now and it is pretty sick. The only thing I don't like about it is the charge shot is dumb (it shoots out in a wave) and the range is pretty limited. I use a striker as my main sword so i'm already high DPS/RoF close range which is a bit redundant. Coincidently, the charge shot on the striker is really bad too so I basically don't charge up anything when I'm using this set.

It's awesome getting 6 hits on an enemy with ~30 damage a piece though. I got a unique variant on mine w/ extra damage on construct so I usually take out the Lumbers and puppy turrets out with it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are there different servers that you are locked into like say WoW or LOTRO or is it like PSO where your not locked in?

eek5

Oh man.. I just found out that unique variants go all the way up to ultra. Wondering if I should mass craft some haze bombs to get damage vs construct/undead/etc. ultra or high for my main bombs.. :/

eek5 said:
Oh man.. I just found out that unique variants go all the way up to ultra. Wondering if I should mass craft some haze bombs to get damage vs construct/undead/etc. ultra or high for my main bombs.. :/
I thought about that too, make a load of level 1 and 2 craft with good bonuses ready for level 3 crafting, going to take a lot of time and money

eek5

Diablohead said:
I thought about that too, make a load of level 1 and 2 craft with good bonuses ready for level 3 crafting, going to take a lot of time and money
For the haze bombs, it costs 200cr and 10ce to craft. The materials used are pretty abundant and you can sell them for 300cr to vendor so you lose about ~200cr each. I doubt anyone would buy a 1* item but maybe you could sell a couple good variant 2*'s to cover some of the cost. I wonder if it'd be worth the trouble though. I'm assuming an ultra damage bonus would be pretty good though.

edit: nm. I made like 40 haze bombs and got 6 uniques none higher than medium. huge waste of resources for little gain lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I made a character on 4th but felt a bit overwhelmed by all the different shit going on in there, but I think I'm ready to jump in!

Character name's Osaka, of course.

Made some Jelly armour and Jelly shield just because I could. Wanted Wolver set but im not really sure what its worth to get it crafted by someone and not found the recipe.
Wanted a Cutter aswell but cant afford it haha.

Fjord

Things I wish I had known when I started playing the game:

A) Try to get someone to craft you most things. Recipes are a huge money sink, best just to specialize in a line or two.

or

B) Unique variants are transfered through the lines, so if you make a bunch of the 1 star items until you get a nice ultra variant, you can carry that through to the 5 star.

C) Don't buy materials, trade for them. Sell materials. Basically because only a small number of people bother to sit there trying to sell materials the market supply is only a fraction of what is out there and is significantly higher than it should be based on drops/need.

D) Put all your money into energy (use the market offer/sell, not the instant trade) every night. The price will only keep climbing, you can easily get a 25% return overnight.

E) Special gate arenas are hard but worth it. 3 Energy to open the gate is nothing, your team paid 40 to get to the floor and there are at least as much loot in there as there is in the rest of the zone.

F) Special gate boxes - did 5 in the graveyard, quite unimpressed.

I have no idea what to craft, Cutter seems like a good sword but no way in hell ill have 7.5K to make it and I have no idea what to base an offer on getting someone to make one.

Edit: Cheers Marceline for crafting it!
May actually have to pay out real money soon as I burn through energy like crazy!

mjc

Osaka said:
Jesus christ I hate the badger-like Wolver Prime squirrel thingies. The big ones.

RAGE

I saw you with some other GAFFERS just before, although I couldn't stick around since I needed to buy energy.

I decided to buy 3500 energy for $10 since I was all out and I couldn't do anything. Is the most efficient way to get energy just to farm crowns and then sell them for more energy? I'm not totally sure how someone can get a leg up like that when you start out.

CzarTim

mjc said:
I saw you with some other GAFFERS just before, although I couldn't stick around since I needed to buy energy.

I decided to buy 3500 energy for $10 since I was all out and I couldn't do anything. Is the most efficient way to get energy just to farm crowns and then sell them for more energy? I'm not totally sure how someone can get a leg up like that when you start out.
At this point you could probably get 2* & 3* equipment fairly cheap, but the fun for me is finding the mats and crafting myself. I only involve others if I'm really struggling to find something.

eek5

patch

Items

* The Dread Skelly Mask and Suit now correctly require the Sinister Skelly Suit as a prerequisite.
* Fixed a couple missing recipe name translations, and added descriptions for a number of bombs and handguns.
* Removed Health/Remedy Capsules from subtown vendors.
* Added Vitapods to subtown vendors.

Monsters

* Lumbers' attack speed has been decreased.
* Lumbers' damage area has been decreased.
* Jelly cubes' attack speed has been decreased slightly.
* Jelly cubes are slightly more aggressive in Tier 1.
* Lichens have had their windup time doubled.
* Trojans now wander about when they have no target.
* Vanaduke has regained his ability to cast fire snakes.
* Royal Jelly's tantrums are now slightly less violent.

UI

* The progress tab in the character panel has been updated to offer more clarity.

Looks like overall they made it easier. NO idea why they removed health from subtown vendors though. Wonder what vitapods they have instead then..

LProtag

I tried it out earlier, seems interesting. I'll have to give it a bit more play to decide if I actually want to invest time in it.

Jelly got nerfed?
lol

Lumbers' damage area has been decreased.
I understand it hit whatever in front of it, but sometime the hitbox can be weird and hits you when you are on its side.

I am waiting for the Gun Puppy nerf, the homing missile one.

eek5

oh man when there are 4+ gun puppy missile turrets!? how are you supposed to deal with that?? ???

i know you can get them to shoot each other but the missile homes in a little too fast and a little TOO good. i've had it curve around a friendly turret and hit me before. so bullshit rofl

LProtag

Seems fun, I could probably use some help as I just got to Haven and have little idea of what I'm doing though.

IGN: Lead-Protagonist

Edit: Any tips so I don't go around wasting energy?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Handle is Zealousd

Don't know how much I'll end up playing this.

eek5

warehouse.jpg

rofl. ended up with like 8 healers left after i was done kiting everyone

InsertNameHere said:
Seems fun, I could probably use some help as I just got to Haven and have little idea of what I'm doing though.

IGN: Lead-Protagonist

Edit: Any tips so I don't go around wasting energy?

Here are some tips

• The wiki is very helpful. Use it to look up weapons, etc. http://wiki.spiralknights.com/Main_Page
  • Avoid crafting items that dead end at less than 5 stars. You really want to be looking into the future and crafting items you'll keep in the long run is a lot more cost efficient. Use the wiki to check
  • In between levels, there are clockwork stations (level 3, level 13, level ?). A guy there named basil sells recipes (1*,2* at tier 1, 1-4* at tier 2). His inventory is random so you should check there every time you get to clockwork station. Again, use wiki to make sure you're getting good recipes. HOWEVER, if you don't plan on mass crafting, you should use zonecaht (/z) in Haven to see if someone will craft you the item. Most guild members will do it free/for a small price and even strangers will be a lot cheaper than buying recipes.
  • At level 8 and 18 you'll reach the end of a tier. The vendor here, Kozma, can also be found by the token trader in the bazaar so don't bother checking her inventory; it never changes.
  • You'll break apart colored shards during your journey. You can sell these at deactivated gates (walk all the way to the right in arcade) for money. You don't get much though. These determine what stuff will spawn in those gates when they open so you might not want to autosell everything but it doesn't really matter.
  • When you upgrade a unit via crafting you have to unequip it so you can use it to craft with.
  • Don't be afraid to adventure with strangers. Soloing is fun if you want to get mats but dying is expensive especially if you plan on playing for free. When you play with others they can revive you which will save you from having to spend additional energy.
  • If your teammate is frozen you can break them free by hitting them with your sword
  • In Tier 2 if you join a party and it loads you in Moorcroft Manor, DO NOT go down the elevator alone. There is a bug where it'll charge you 10 energy for "joining the party" then another 10 energy for taking the elevator down D: D: D: D: D: D:
  • If you're trying to level up an item with heat, the fastest way is to equip level 10 stuff except for that one item and then go through levels.

Also, I noticed while grinding some T1 that they don't drop that many rarer items so you might be better off buying stuff to craft your 2* set so that you can just get to tier 2

So I'm thinking about completely redoing my armor.

I think I'll start working my way toward:

Helmet - Divine Veil [★★★★★]
  • Elemental & Shadow defense power
  • Fire resist
  • Shock resist
  • Curse resist

Armor - Divine Mantle [★★★★★]
  • Fire resist
  • Shock resist
  • Curse resist

Armor Set Bonus: N/A

Shield - Royal Jelly Shield [★★★★★]

• Normal, Piercing, & Health defense power
  • Stun resist
  • Sleep resist

What do you guys think? I won't have any poison or frost resist... But everything else is covered.

Hmmm... I could get a trinket for frost... So Poison would be my only weakness :D

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
ArtistDude88 said:

Helmet - Divine Veil [★★★★★]
  • Fire resist
  • Shock resist
  • Curse resist

Armor - Divine Mantle [★★★★★]
  • Fire resist
  • Shock resist
  • Curse resist

Armor Set Bonus: N/A

Shield - Royal Jelly Shield [★★★★★]

• Normal, Piercing, & Health defense power
  • Stun resist
  • Sleep resist

What do you guys think? I won't have any poison or frost resist... But everything else is covered.

Hmmm... I could get a trinket for frost... So Poison would be my only weakness :D

Wish I would've paid as much attention before I decided to go for the Skelly set route.

Osaka said:
Wish I would've paid as much attention before I decided to go for the Skelly set route.

I didn't put any thought into my current armor. Cobalt helm & armor + Mighty Defender. All of them are only Normal, Piercing, and Health defense power, nothing else :(

I die so fast in fire...

LProtag

Also, are there certain final... builds(?) I guess, that are better to work towards than others?

Looking at all the equipment in the wiki I'm kinda leaning towards the stuff that increases attack speed, like the Vog Cub Set and the Wild Hunting Blade, seem like a good idea?

Edit: I guess, compared to the Leviathan Blade and Skolver Set, is increased damage better than increased attack speed?

Edit once again: Also, how would mixing these kind of things work? Should I aim for stacking the same effect?

Bisonian

ArtistDude88 said:

It's important to keep in mind that the resists of the shield are only active while you are actually blocking. It seems to me that the majority of damage in tiers 1 and 2 are normal damage, and because of that I wouldn't personally go without armor that has some sort of normal damage resistance on it. That's just my personal preference, and it may very well change in tier 3. I wouldn't be surprised to see damage types more varied down there. I would also be interested in hearing other people's opinions on the matter.

The nice thing about this game though is that there seems to be plenty of different viable ways to build your gear. As long as you pick a direction and see it through, it seems like you'll do just fine. It may get expensive if you buy a bunch of patterns and then try to change your plan however. I have seen a lot of people doing some crazy things and being very successful though.

There's this one guy in the guild I'm in that in fact uses primarily bombs for attacks. It's weird as hell but it works. His frost and gravitron bombs are actually extremely useful, and I just don't see other people taking advantage of that. I like to ride that gentleman like a donkey towards sweet sweet 5-jelly token runs.

Top Bottom