• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiral Knights |OT| Piercing the Clockworks -- FREE co-op ARPG for PC/Mac/Linux

eek5

protip!! if your client is lagging you can kill java from task manager and when you log back in you'll be in the dungeon.

Thanks for baiting out that carapace seller last night Eeks. That shit was hilarious! Finally have my Tier 3 equips, but I don't think my body is ready. >__<

Cagen

Codeblue said:
Is anyone else just perpetually "Heading into Town" after the character select screen?

I am today, never had it happen before. Nothing on the official forums about it bar one post with no replies from the 4th.

eek5

uhhh.jpg

oh basil....

Dreavus

I thought I talked myself out of the wolver line, but now I'm think I want to hold onto the attack bonus and maybe throw a magic hood on as a costume, since I'm not too fond of the wolver cap. Of course, I come to this realization after I made an elemental cloak that has UV low poison defence ( thanks marceline). Goddamn my indecision!

LProtag

Dreavus said:
I thought I talked myself out of the wolver line, but now I'm think I want to hold onto the attack bonus and maybe throw a magic hood on as a costume, since I'm not too fond of the wolver cap. Of course, I come to this realization after I made an elemental cloak that has UV low poison defence ( thanks marceline). Goddamn my indecision!

I think I'm going to go for the Wolver line. I dunno about the end though, if I want speed or power.

Also I have no idea what to do for a shield. Do their stats only matter when you are using it?

Green Tentacle said:
I think I'm gonna work on the Jelly Helm line. I just love the look...
Yeah, I love the look as well. I'm currently sporting a Rock Jelly Helm. Hopefully I'll hit up a King Jelly Recipe sometime soon.

Fjord

Hmm so I'm getting suspicious about the random number generator. I know complaints like these are garbage most of the time, I have a statistics background.

Some games used your player location or some other manipulated factor for randomness. I've noticed people commenting that the got the same UV several times in a row. I had a bad streak, which is possible. But then the next time I logged on I got two in a row, of the same UV low shadow resist. Being a little suspicious I did a third combine, low shadow resist.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So far this game is rather fun. Definitely a legit game to try out if you like games such as PSO! Thanks for the recommendation GAF!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I've been playing this on and off for the past few days. I'm starting to get into it.

What's the consensus on the microtransaction side of the game? It seems like the cost/value ratio for what you get is pretty good, but at the same time the game is really built in such a way that you really feel limited in how often you can play if you don't buy any crystal energy. So it seems like they really want players to dip into their pockets more often.

I've thought about tossing $5 or $10 into it. How long would that last me? How much money would I be expected to throw in if I wanted to get a character to tier 5?

eek5

ZealousD said:
So I've been playing this on and off for the past few days. I'm starting to get into it.

What's the consensus on the microtransaction side of the game? It seems like the cost/value ratio for what you get is pretty good, but at the same time the game is really built in such a way that you really feel limited in how often you can play if you don't buy any crystal energy. So it seems like they really want players to dip into their pockets more often.

I've thought about tossing $5 or $10 into it. How long would that last me? How much money would I be expected to throw in if I wanted to get a character to tier 5?
5 star equipment is... expensive. Not only are recipes 45k crowns, but they require super rare materials to craft and then on top of that crafting costs are very high. Basically, it isn't going to be cheap to go 5 star until the exchange rate on energy hits 10k which will make the game somewhat inaccessible for people who don't pay.

As far as sustainability goes, I've been keeping track of gate fees/revives against crowns you earn. In Tier 1 it is hit and miss at 3kcr/100e but Tier 2, especially after clockworks pays for itself. The most cost effective run is the jelly king run (a gate which will be closing soon). If the exchange rate were 10k/100 you'd still pay for it with just crowns, especially if you hit some arenas along the way, from levels 14-18. On top of that you get 3-5 (lol more like 3-4) jelly gems which means you can get a antigua/sealed sword after 9 runs. It costs less than 2k energy to pay for the gates 9-18 (which mostly paid for themselves) and you can sell upgraded versions of the silversix/faust/etc. for 2.2k energy. So really you're just generating energy.

I think the best thing to do in the game right now is to basically NOT learn 5* recipes (and avoid 4* if you don't need) Basically just float some crowns and run jelly run while it lasts to build up your energy bank. Convert your crowns you don't need on hand to energy, sell silversixes and fausts (or wait for jelly run to close out and then sell when they aren't as accessible) then wait it out for the exchange rate to go up. You're roughly making 2k energy every 9 runs at jelly king which means when the exchange rate hits 10k you'll be sitting in enough crowns to buy 4 5* recipes.

In the meanwhile use your surplus energy/crowns to craft for UVs while waiting the system out.

I'm probably going to sell the 5* recipes I bought now that I think about this.

Wallach

I need a Trojan Horseshoe to craft my Sentenza. Which I will probably sell because in the end I think both of these Antigua lines are pretty bland. Looking into the way damage is dealt in this game makes them both pretty weak unless you are short on weapon slots and need to hit very specific pairs of monster types.

ZealousD

eek5 said:
5 star equipment is... expensive. Not only are recipes 45k crowns, but they require super rare materials to craft and then on top of that crafting costs are very high. Basically, it isn't going to be cheap to go 5 star until the exchange rate on energy hits 10k which will make the game somewhat inaccessible for people who don't pay.

Any ballpark figures? I think $20 would probably be my limit on how much I'm willing to pay, and even that is pushing it.

I suspect I'd probably end up buying energy not to convert to crowns, but just use for crafting and dungeon runs. Seems like you get more crowns using 100 energy to do dungeon runs than just straight selling it.

eek5

InsertNameHere said:
So... best to stock up on as much energy as possible now? Toss all my crowns into buying it?
I edited my post. I think the best thing right now is to focus on building a strong set of 3* to 4* equipment. You can easily solo Tier 2 with half 3* half 4* equipment and from what I've seen of Tier 3, is isn't as cost effective. Tier 1 doesn't drop enough loot and Tier 3 is hard. Convert the rest to energy and basically just be content staying at Tier 2 until it makes sense to go Tier 3. Right now it costs 1400 energy to buy a 5 star recipe... I don't think it is worth it right now as you'll have to work really hard to pay it off. If exchange rate goes up it'll be easier to go 5* even if you don't pay

CzarTim

ZealousD said:
Any ballpark figures? I think $20 would probably be my limit on how much I'm willing to pay, and even that is pushing it.

I suspect I'd probably end up buying energy not to convert to crowns, but just use for crafting and dungeon runs. Seems like you get more crowns using 100 energy to do dungeon runs than just straight selling it.
It depends. If you are buying a small amount of energy I recommend just using it to play and craft. Unless you want to "play the markets", there's no point in buying crowns since a T2 run can earn you a good deal of those.

Just remember that 100 energy = 1 day of playing with normal energy. I try to keep that in mind when I use energy.

Also, if at all possible, do not use energy to revive yourself. It gets very expensive. Have a teammate revive you instead. It only cost them health.

Dreavus

ZealousD said:

I threw in 5 bucks for 1600 a little less then a week ago, and I've still got around 900 left, and that's with me being utterly clueless and changing my mind a bunch of times when it comes to crafting, and making a few bad revive decisions. I basically just use it if I want to play past the free energy or craft things right away; I don't plan on selling the energy for a quick buck. I'm expecting to go on this for another few weeks, but we'll see.

Honestly for tier 5, I think you could get there pretty easy on 10 bucks. Looking at my gear now and what I'll need, I don't know if I'll make it any time soon on just the 5 bucks. It's probably possible to get there just playing for free, but I feel like a lot of your crowns would get funneled into buying energy off the market and it would take a VERY long time to get anywhere (with recipe costs skyrocketing in the upper tiers). However, it is my understanding that you can make quite a pretty penny off selling materials to other players, because although materials should be rather plentiful given the number of people playing, only a handful of people seem to have the patience to sit in town and sell their stuff.

Unless my estimates are way off, I can see myself putting another 5 bucks in down the road and having enough to get to 5 star (hopefully... MAYBE more like another 10 bucks, I don't know). I do feel like I've gotten pretty good value for 5 bucks so far, though.

EDIT: Looking at Eek's numbers, I may have to reassess o_O.

eek5

czartim said:
Where exactly do I buy 3* & 4* recipes? The guy at the end of the T2 run always has the same stuff, no?
Kozma at the end of tiers always sells the same stuff. Basil in the middle of tiers has random inventory.

Never what you want though..

ZealousD

eek5 said:
The most cost effective run is the jelly king run (a gate which will be closing soon). If the exchange rate were 10k/100 you'd still pay for it with just crowns, especially if you hit some arenas along the way, from levels 14-18. On top of that you get 3-5 (lol more like 3-4) jelly gems which means you can get a antigua/sealed sword after 9 runs. It costs less than 2k energy to pay for the gates 9-18 (which mostly paid for themselves) and you can sell upgraded versions of the silversix/faust/etc. for 2.2k energy. So really you're just generating energy.

I think the best thing to do in the game right now is to basically NOT learn 5* recipes (and avoid 4* if you don't need) Basically just float some crowns and run jelly run while it lasts to build up your energy bank. Convert your crowns you don't need on hand to energy, sell silversixes and fausts (or wait for jelly run to close out and then sell when they aren't as accessible) then wait it out for the exchange rate to go up. You're roughly making 2k energy every 9 runs at jelly king which means when the exchange rate hits 10k you'll be sitting in enough crowns to buy 4 5* recipes.

Just thought I'd mention that even after the jelly king closes soon, there's another one that's spawning at the Amber Lion gate to replace it. That's gonna switch over in about 18 hours as of the time of this post.

Dreavus

ZealousD said:
Just thought I'd mention that even after the jelly king closes soon, there's another one that's spawning at the Amber Lion gate to replace it. That's gonna switch over in about 18 hours as of the time of this post.

This is good news. I think I'm getting close to the point where I'll be able to actually fight him without getting my spine ripped out!

eek5

loots.jpg

what a good run :D

here are the patch notes:
Items
* Fixed a bug giving the Umbra Driver's regular shots a knockdown effect.
* Fixed the Critter Carapace's rarity: it is now 2* instead of 3*.

Monsters
* Rocket Puppy Rockets have had an adjustment to their behaviors. Tier 2 should be far more forgiving.
* Royal Jelly's regen has been reduced.
* Royal Jelly now has fewer minions.
* Status-themed Retrodes are now properly immune to their associated status conditions.

I've found a bunch of carapaces since the patch so they're a lot more common now. Only faught jelly king once but it seems like he still spawns the same amount of minions. At the beginning you start off with way fewer though so it is really easy now to get into position to start attacking him. Before you would sometimes run into cubes and get stuck at the start. Midway and at the end of the battle it feels very similar though. I kind of miss the old one since I could graviton so many cubes together.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Could we get some Jelly King GAF-runs organized? I don't even want to think about going there without people I could somewhat trust, and I'd want to make an Avenger or a Faust :(

I'm only at 4 Jelly Tokens at the moment..

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Still haven't done a Jelly run yet. Want to. Currency right now is pretty darn forgiving. If you put in like 5 hours you can play as much as you want from the crowns you get.

*I actually was dragged along as a Tier 1 character to see Jelly and promptly died.

First craft: Apparently this is a rare and awesome bonus. Woo!
wtmo0.jpg

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Decided to go a different route. I got myself a Tempered Calibur for like 8k.. I'm liking it so far.

However, how come the wiki doesn't have any info on Leviathan Blade's attack attributes?

Vanillalite

Just got one for the 1st time since I 1st made my character the other day because another friend was free on vent. Then as soon as we got in it was like 10 mins till servers are down to update! LOL

At least we got to exchange names and find each other and stuff! :p

Vanillalite

czartim said:
Servers be going down too much. Feels like the early aughts.

Thing about the servers is that's how they send you the game content so it's not really them having server issues. It's them aggressively patching the game, and the only way to push that to people and fix things is to bring the servers down.

It totally sucks, but as my buddy and I said hey at least this means they care about the game to patch shit.

Top Bottom