• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Robotguy

hey I see a lot of MK8 gaf here. ;D
I played for like 4 hours, level 8 and I find the first set of weapons that you get to still be the best. I tried a lot of other weapons but I just kept doing much worse. all hail shield + splattershot jr.
btw, really enjoying this game so far.

questions,

- is turf war seriously the only mode? I'm not sure how to play another ones.
- what are the best abilities I should look for? Also should I go for a 2 stars item if it has better abilities or I should always aim for 3 stars?
- I made an oder with a 3 star item, guy got me a 2 star. why :(, is this luck based or it's because I'm at a low level?
- can you customize your loadout as you wish at some point?
- why am I matched with people at level 20 a lot. I got in some lobbies with everyone at 20 while I was 5, 6, 7 etc. this mm seems completely random.
- do I unlock items or other stuff by playing the single player campaign?
-No, there are currently two ranked online modes Splat Zones and Tower Control. You'll be able to play them at level 10. They rotate with the levels. Edit: There is one more confirmed online mode "Rain Maker" which has yet to be released.
-The abilities you want to use depend on your weapons selection and playstyle. But personally I'd consider Tenacity + ninja squid + ink resistance to be a good set of abilities for pretty much any weapon. Inksaver is also generally pretty helpful.
-Edit: What Heng Says
-You can unlock additional slots, and reroll all the sub ability slots on your gear, but you can't set slots to whatever you want. Edit: Regarding weapons no.
-The matchmaking is apparently based on how you play and how well you play rather than level.
-Several weapons are unlocked through the campaign. You have to find blueprints for new weapons. These appear after defeating a boss.

Ahnez

I played for like 4 hours, level 8 and I find the first set of weapons that you get to still be the best. I tried a lot of other weapons but I just kept doing much worse. all hail shield + splattershot jr.

questions,

- what are the best abilities I should look for? Also should I go for a 2 stars item if it has better abilities or I should always aim for 3 stars?
- I made an oder with a 3 star item, guy got me a 2 star. why :(, is this luck based or it's because I'm at a low level?
- can you customize your weapons loadout at some point?
- why am I matched with people at level 20 a lot. I got in some lobbies with everyone at 20 while I was 5, 6, 7 etc. this mm seems completely random.

Turf wars is the only unranked mode. Ranked is unlocked at level 10

All abilities are useful actually, you should just try to find those that fit your playstyle. Also, I recommend getting all the gear you can. :p You can increase the number of slots later in the game

Maybe because its how it was originally, the person you ordered probably increased the number of slots.

You cannot customize weapon sets, its a balancing thing

Matchmaking is based on skill, not level. Thats why you will see a lot of level 20 players that have no idea how to play this game :p

Yes, you unlock some new items by playing Single Player

Heng

questions,

- can you customize your weapons loadout at some point?
Once you hit level 10, 2 modes will be available. You will not have access to these modes all at once but these 2 modes will alternate although it may not always alternate.

The best abilities is based on what gun you're using. For the most part, just pick up any gear that you like if you have money to spare. 3 stars are great but once you hit 20, Spyke can add slots to your gear for either 30000 gold or a sea snail. You get sea snail at splatfest which is going to happen on the 18th of this month. I believe you can get extra slots before 20, not sure though.

You may have ordered a 2 star gear with 3 slots. It's RNG if you're going to get 3 slots on 2 star gear.

They haven't mentioned anything yet.

It's because you did well against beginners and the game puts you with people similar to your skill.

Yes, you unlock a lot of weapons through single player. You get them from killing bosses.

Totakeke

everyone who suffered agony under the rapid blaster can blame heng for doing it on me first,

yeah, blame him.

Edit: Damnit, Spyke only gave me one damage up with your black arrowbands heng.

Crisium

everyone who suffered agony under the rapid blaster can blame heng for doing it on me first,

yeah, blame him.

Edit: Damnit, Spyke only gave me one damage up with your goggles heng.

*being chased by Totakeke's rapid blaster*
*set an ambush*
*splat him*
*die to mine*

Well played.

SM239

Couldn't seem to find my groove for a while but the carbon seemed to work well today. Anyway I need to get going. It's late. GGs all.

I really need to get better with burst bombs as it's the only sub that I don't feel comfortable with.

Anybody here ocd for having all three secondary abilities the same on one gear? Or are you OK with 2/3 on one gear and the other 1/3 on the other

Totakeke

*being chased by Totakeke's rapid blaster*
*set an ambush*
*splat him*
*die to mine*

Well played.

The mine is a match made in heaven for the rapid blaster. You can see the relief when someone finally get rids of the annoying rapid blaster then the mine hits you. :p

ryechu

I'm just scared for the rapid blaster pro. If the rapid blaster can shoot up a floor in moray towers.

Like 3 rapid blaster pros in TC. How do you win when they focus fire.

Jims

Oof, being away for an entire week makes me super-rusty at Splatoon. I feel like the worst player on the internet.

Played around with the Sploosh-O-Matic a little bit. It's really fun to ninja people with and spreads ink quickly. But the Squid Beakons really hurts it for me. At least with the regular Splattershots and Aerosprays, you got a ranged subweapon/special for a little zoning, but I find approaching with this weapon to be a real challenge. It plays almost like a roller. If I wanted to rush people down, I think I'd rather play the Splattershot Jr. Not really for me.

The .96 Deco is fun. It's nice to finally be one of those cheap Krakens who ninjas people when they get too close. It's a really nice defense mechanism since you generally want to keep your distance with this weapon. The Splash Wall is pretty nice too. Think I might like it better than the regular one, depending on the map. Not having Echolocator anymore makes hunting people so much more challenging, though.

Moray Towers is really fun... I like the multiple pathways down and the little blocks and ramps make for some fun mindgames. But I have no idea how to combat a hopping Dynamo splashing down at the middle. If you have a charger, it's doable, but it takes a lot of work to get rid of it otherwise. Maybe I should just ignore and go around?

Totakeke

re: using beakons as a wall, I think it's a valid tactic in charger vs charger battles, not so much anywhere else. even making them mistakenly think that they have the target on when they're actually aiming at the beakon is hella annoying.

problem is you still need a little bit of time to set it up

Zing

Banned
I was playing against the scrubbiest of scrubs in one match. Start the next match casually, and suddenly Guysloth appears out of nowhere to splat me. Haha.

I was playing against the scrubbiest of scrubs in one match. Start the next match casually, and suddenly Guysloth appears out of nowhere to splat me. Haha.

Try kidsquidding. It might be enough to quell his rampage. =P If you do it after you splat him, then you will meet a terrible fate.

Finalow

^I see, I guess I'll try to order 3 stars gear since it'll be a while before I get to 20, I suppose.

regarding abilities it's true that everything seems pretty useful but if I had to pick a "must have" I'd go for comeback, ink resistance up and at least some damage/defense/speed up. maybe bomb sniffer too. granted that I haven't actually tried any of those abilities yet

Zing

Banned
thanks for the answers, I guess I'll try to order 3 stars gear since it'll be a while before I get to 20, I suppose.

regarding abilities it's true that everything seems pretty useful but if I had to pick a "must have" I'd go for comeback, ink resistance up and at least some damage/defense/speed up. maybe bomb sniffer too.granted that I haven't actually tried any of those abilities yet
You start getting three star stuff in shop way before level 20. Level 10 I believe.

Also, buying three star gear from orders can cost up to 50k. It's a waste.

Finalow

You start getting three star stuff in shop way before level 20. Level 10 I believe.
Also, buying three star gear from orders can cost up to 50k. It's a waste.
welp, that's expensive.

how do you people play together? Just join a gaffer lobby and play with randoms? Really sucks if you can't host private lobbies at all. :[

DrStiles

welp, that's expensive.

how do you people play together? Just join a gaffer lobby and play with randoms? Really sucks if you can't host private lobbies at all. :[

If you get a couple of GAFers on your friend list you can choose play with friends and the rooms that are available are usually full with GAF

DaBoss

I'm curious about something, what weapon do would you associate me with?

I just thought about what weapons I've been using and realized that I've mainly been using the Inkbrush and chargers with some Rapid Blasters and rollers here and there in the GAF rooms.

atr0cious

I'm curious about something, what weapon do would you associate me with?

I just thought about what weapons I've been using and realized that I've mainly been using the Inkbrush and chargers with some Rapid Blasters and rollers here and there in the GAF rooms.
I'll just say this, the only time I watch out for you, is when you're holding a charger.

RedFyn

I think I've seen Red do this. In my opinion they use too much ink to be really effective though
I had a hilarious game doing this on mall. I set up 3 on the small hill before the ramp and was laughing the whole game. I think I went 17-0 that game.

They take a lot of ink for sure but I think it definitely has it's uses. It just take a while to figure out how to use them correctly.

Geg

Hnnnng, killing two of the other team's best players with one killer wail

On that positive note I'm done for tonight, GGs all

Geg

Was it lag? Cause my connection has been solid these few matches, seems like everyone else is too.

I only noticed it once really, it was the same match where there was another teleporting Japanese player on your team who eventually disconnected

Vecks

Sometimes you see some crazy stuff in ranked. The other team used 2 killer wails at the same time in a crisscross pattern on port mackerel. I dodged one only to fall into the other.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I only noticed it once really, it was the same match where there was another teleporting Japanese player on your team who eventually disconnected

Probably. Connection has been smooth for the most part tonight. Got a room with Jahra, Ryechu and Zingg if anyone wants to play.

Not really feeling this map rotation though. Saltspray Rig or Moray Towers should be mandatory. At least one of those to offset any bad maps.

Top Bottom