• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Zing

Banned
Two ranked matches in a row, with different players, and I literally had to do everything myself. This is A rank so there is no excuse.

And there is the third. This is ridiculous. It's as though everyone handed the controller to their child. I am capturing the tower, killing three of their team, wiping out everyone on and around the tower, and I look down at map to see everyone else dead. I can't do it all.

Totakeke

the jump is to bump the cursor up. Its good when you are in front of a ledge that is blocking your shot. you can aim with the ghost cursor and jump, that way they dont see the laser at all. Its also good as an added jerk movement to throw them off. I still dont get the other shit hes doing. I cant do snapshots like that without a scope and even then its upwards not side to side.

Do you know where you're going to hit before you jump? Do you just release the trigger at the apex of your jump? At least I don't think there's enough time to get a hit confirmation during the jump. Side to side is pretty important for close combat though. Even at +3 sensitivity it does require me jerking the gamepad pretty significantly.

I'm mad. >=( What was that second kill a the beginning of the video? A random guess???

On the end of the platform before jumping down? The snapshotting at that level I can't do, but walking up the closest catwalk ramp, checking the opposing catwalk ramp, then checking the ramp up is pretty standard charger opening on Bluefin Depot. I typically shoot the ends of ink trails as a charger, it's even more obvious if you glance at the map to see that there's no movement around the end. That's a dead giveaway. If the other person was smarter he would stay a bit further away from the end.

That video is amazing and shows why the E-liter is so good on Moray. The jump shots are on point here. I wished he had some Tower Control footage on Saltspray Rig. I can't really tell the furthest an E-liter can shoot from the spawn platform.

I feel like I need to up my sensitivity after watching that.

I play at +3 sensitivity and often I feel my hands are not steady enough for that sensitivity. I'm not sure if he's playing at high sensitivity or just being really smart with his right analog for snapshotting (there's no way to do 360 degree turn and shoot otherwise), but if he's playing at high sensitivity those are amazingly steady hands.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Two ranked matches in a row, with different players, and I literally had to do everything myself. This is A rank so there is no excuse.

And there is the third. This is ridiculous. It's as though everyone handed the controller to their child. I am capturing the tower, killing three of their team, wiping out everyone on and around the tower, and I look down at map to see everyone else dead. I can't do it all.
There is: Rank is not an accurate tell of skill. I've been in A+ for a while. There's not much difference between B through A+. The worst players are in Cs, everyone else is mixed in B - A+.

As much as I love this game the online needs some work. Played a few game last night and this morning: connection unstable, returning to lobby not enough players even though 8 show, teleporting opponents, super delayed kills. My wii u is wired and my other games are fine online. Realty hope they patch this game

that feeling when your team keeps getting wiped out singlehandedly by some japanese player who is clearly belongs in a whole letter rank above anyone else in the match but is in the same rank as you for some incomprehensible reason

Zing

Banned
that feeling when your team keeps getting wiped out singlehandedly by some japanese player who is clearly belongs in a whole letter rank above anyone else in the match but is in the same rank as you for some incomprehensible reason
That japanese player is lower rank because they lost a dozen matches by having teammates who clearly belong a whole letter rank below anyone else in the match but was the same rank as him for some incomprehensible reason.

:D

I had to crank my sensitivity to max and it still isn't high enough for inkbrush.

DaBoss

I play at +3 sensitivity and often I feel my hands are not steady enough for that sensitivity. I'm not sure if he's playing at high sensitivity or just being really smart with his right analog for snapshotting (there's no way to do 360 degree turn and shoot otherwise), but if he's playing at high sensitivity those are amazingly steady hands.
I thought I was using +2 before, but I was apparently using +1. I rest my arms on my lap while playing, so a higher sensitivity would help with moving fast. I tried +3 since about an hour ago and it seems to be working fine. Though I only tried an E-liter 3K so far.
Has anyone been lucky enough to get a Ink Saver Main for their main ability with 3 Ink Saver Sub sub-abilities or vice versa?
Everyone seems to have a Jungle hat with exactly that.
tumblr_nqehaz1CF11ux7li8o1_540.jpg

Has anyone been lucky enough to get a Ink Saver Main for their main ability with 3 Ink Saver Sub sub-abilities or vice versa?

Yeah, seems like Jungle hat has the best chances (5x). Looking at the guide there's 1/2 chances with the Studio Headphones and White tee. Both of which I'd rather have over the Jungle hat lol

Geg

Is there an advantage to having 3 of the same subs on one article of clothing as opposed to spread out between all three? Like right now I have 1 special charge up on each of my equipment

I thought I was using +2 before, but I was apparently using +1. I rest my arms on my lap while playing, so a higher sensitivity would help with moving fast. I tried +3 since about an hour ago and it seems to be working fine. Though I only tried an E-liter 3K so far.

How many rolls did it take for the jungle hat?

Robotguy

I only have two ink saver subs on my Jungle hat. I've been slacking on the gear rerolls.
Is there an advantage to having 3 of the same subs on one article of clothing as opposed to spread out between all three? Like right now I have 1 special charge up on each of my equipment
It makes it easier to put together outfits with the subs you want. To the best of my knowledge there is no stat advantage to having your sub abilities concentrated on one piece of gear.
The Jungle hat has an affinity for ink saver sub. Brands with an affinity for a certain sub have approximately a 1/36 chance of rolling 3 of that sub.

DaBoss

Yeah, seems like Jungle hat has the best chances (5x). Looking at the guide there's 1/2 chances with the Studio Headphones and White tee. Both of which I'd rather have over the Jungle hat lol
Try your luck with the Octoling Armor
The only advantage I can think of is that you don't have to use 3 specific gear to get 3x subs of a certain ability. You would be able to mix and match with ease.
I don't think I had to re-roll for that.

Zing

Banned
OCD

But seriously, I believe it is because, if you want a certain ability, it is easier to have it on one gear rather than trying to juggle various gear to get the amount of boost you desire.

I'm at the point where I want to maximize my gear set. Focus on just 6 abilities. 3 main and 3 subs (where every 3 subs equals 1 ability). I'd probably only use this set going forward. Going to take some finesse (and money) in getting what I want.

I only have two ink saver subs on my Jungle hat. I've been slacking on the gear rerolls.
It makes it easier to put together outfits with the subs you want. To the best of my knowledge there is no stat advantage to having your sub abilities concentrated on one piece of gear.

The Jungle hat has an affinity for ink saver sub. Brands with an affinity for a certain sub have a 1/27 chance of rolling 3 of that sub.
I rolled it a few times and only got 2 ink savers

Robotguy

Wait, I was under the impression that all gear with an affinity for a certain sub had 3X the chances of rolling that sub. Is that not the case?

Geg

Yep, GGs. Saltspray Rig tower control + two highly skilled E-liters = mass destruction. I think you've inspired me to start using e-liters.

I remember one of my tower control games on Saltspray we had an e-liter on our team and a splattershot on the other. I remember worrying a bit about the spattershot user but I never once interacted with them the entire game despite riding the tower about half the time. I'm pretty sure our team's e-liter was constantly taking them out

Jims

Oh, the Jungle Hat favors Ink Saver Sub in the re-rolls? I think I had it backwards. Mine initially got 2 Ink Saver Mains and 1 Ink Saver Sub (on top of the main ability), so I always assumed people use it to pile on the Ink Saver Main.

I wonder if I should re-roll it. Getting +25% more main ink on one piece of equipment is nice, but the Ink Saver Subs would make it much more balanced.

Geg

level 11, all the items in the shop are still 1 star. am I supposed to buy every 1 star in order to unlock better items?

The store changes its stock every day at midnight, so it'll probably update with better gear then. You don't have to buy everything for them to show up

Vecks

level 11, all the items in the shop are still 1 star. am I supposed to buy every 1 star in order to unlock better items?

It might just random at higher levels. I found better stuff in the shop on my 3rd day of playing. Even now, it's just a mix of maybe 1 3-star, with the rest being 1 or 2 star stuff.

Azure J

How did you like that brush play? Think I wasn't being aggressive enough or something else?

Went to bed and missed this post but you're pretty good with the brush. I found myself kinda surprised at how often I lost head on versus your brushery in CQC. At the same time, I also wonder how you lost so often to me getting back or side slashes in. :lol

You were very good about getting to the main objectives on the map in the Saltspray matches, but I wondered why you always played distraction first (especially since the thin brush roll lines were a dead giveaway that a brush player was there) instead of coating the upper area so opposing teams couldn't get in immediately and you had more room to approach people with.

Sprinkler use was also on point though I imagine you don't play weapons with sprinklers often enough since there were some really tricky places you could leave them in Cash Dome to make everyone's day hell. (Also shoutouts to you being the non-ninja'd brush that ran in on enemy territory that one time leading to everyone aiming at you while I came in and smacked everything ever so we could both leave untouched. :lol)

All in all, good stuff but I def think you can be even better with it. ;)

Now I'd like to hear some stuff about the charger play I had last night. Upping the sensitivity has led to me getting some really snappy kills last night and I was honestly not expecting to land them, especially when trying to react to you in brush mode.

DaBoss

Yep, GGs. Saltspray Rig tower control + two highly skilled E-liters = mass destruction. I think you've inspired me to start using e-liters.
Saltspray Rig Tower Control is what made me want to use the E-liter. It really is good on that map.

Top Bottom