• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Azure J

Same lol

After so many years of competitive smash, I don't think there's any MP game that can make me mad at all :p

I think playing Brawl and Marvel 3 online back to back truly broke something in me that could make me truly outrageously mad at a game. :lol

What the fuck.

I'm A- 90

Ten seconds from winning the game and getting to A. Then I get a freaking communication error and get taken 10 points away?!? SerSeriously screw this.

Welp, guess the road to A+ is going to stay uncharted for a bit longer. :lol

Doorman

I've chucked my gamepad two or three times during a particularly bad night, but that was a directed throw into a soft leather chair, and there were some other non-game circumstances that contributed.

Still, I do get pretty fucking salty during prolonged stretches of poor play. Like right now! :D

Finalow

not sure if it's just me but I wasted so much time in world 2 and 3 (sp) to find the last level access point. isn't there a fucking map somewhere

Maybe I've just been playing it wrong but races in MK8 just feel so random I never see the point in getting angry at it
for some reason I was getting really mad with MK8, I remember the MK8 OT being the salt fest lol. might have been because of the type of the game. e.g. being 1st place for 2 laps and always getting hit by a blue shell to then procede to finish the race 10th. and the fact that the game was (still is?) poorly balanced didn't help.
yet I put something like 70 hours into it, maybe more.

I've chucked my gamepad two or three times during a particularly bad night, but that was a directed throw into a soft leather chair, and there were some other non-game circumstances that contributed.

Still, I do get pretty fucking salty during prolonged stretches of poor play. Like right now! :D

Splatoon has certainly made me hurl the gamepad once or twice as well, mostly due to how spitefully it seems to "balance" teams against me. Imagine a Splatfest match where I hold the entire middle area of Walleye Warehouse for 2 and a half mins, pretty much solo, with the Inkbrush. Racked up 12 or so kills and 0 deaths. Then imagine my face when I die once, 30 seconds from the end, and suddenly we've gone from owning 60-70% of the ground to being spawn killed back in the base.

The gamepad hit the carpet pretty hard that time.

Doorman

*Sighs and adds the Custom Junior to the ever-growing list of garbage-tier weapons I'll never use again*

Personal list, not trying to work out actual "tiers" here.

atr0cious

you're getting lots of disconnects as well? We just had two awful matches

Went randoms and it was disconnecting me when I would join a lobby. Only played a handful of games were lag didn't play a huge part, or just disconnect me altogether. Not fun at all to play in.

Gonna quit early and go in to work early instead. Maybe tomorrow.

Ahnez

I think playing Brawl and Marvel 3 online back to back truly broke something in me that could make me truly outrageously mad at a game. :lol

After losing a melee finals because I missed a ken combo finisher, I don't think there are many things that can make me salty..
Some things still can

Like being killed by someone with a 1s+ lag

not sure if it's just me but I wasted so much time in world 2 and 3 (sp) to find the last level access point. isn't there a fucking map somewhere

Me too :p

It took me longer to find all the level entrances than to beat them lol

Heng

I knew the game had a lot of speed run potential (found myself doing some although I didn't do any crazy strats or sequence breaks if they exist) but I'm very curious to see what others are coming up with.
They skip world 4 completely and they have to earn 100 points or whatever in the first 2 levels to buy a seeker. It's pretty cool watching them do it. I thought about practicing it but fuck the world 4 skip, it's too hard for me.

Robotguy

They skip world 4 completely and they have to earn 100 points or whatever in the first 2 levels to buy a seeker. It's pretty cool watching them do it. I thought about practicing it but fuck the world 4 skip, it's too hard for me.
Meanwhile, I didn't even know you could use seekers in single player.

Azure J

After losing a melee finals because I missed a ken combo finisher, I don't think there are many things that can make me salty..
Some things still can

Like being killed by someone with a 1s+ lag

Think about it like this, at least you were playing the best Melee character/Smash character
until we actually get Takamaru or Lyn because iai hype.

Still that sucks to hear.

Doorman

...Well, thanks to the hub world I'm now more convinced than ever that 3-map rotation will eventually be a regular thing and not reserved just for Splatfest. The video screens on either side of the Inkopolis Tower entrance cycle through the pictures of each stage in the rotation, regular battle locations on top, ranked battle locations on the bottom. They cycle in sets of three, followed by a brief animation of random logos and such, and repeat. For now, since there are only two stages, it repeats the first one (right now for instance the screens show Underpass, Rig, Underpass, logos, repeat), but the only reason they'd set it up in sets of three like that would be for all three stages, and since the hub is all different during Splatfest anyway I doubt that's something they'd just carry over and overlook.

I'm sure this has already been pointed out like two OTs ago but it's fun spotting details.

phanphare

Banned
...Well, thanks to the hub world I'm now more convinced than ever that 3-map rotation will eventually be a regular thing and not reserved just for Splatfest. The video screens on either side of the Inkopolis Tower entrance cycle through the pictures of each stage in the rotation, regular battle locations on top, ranked battle locations on the bottom. They cycle in sets of three, followed by a brief animation of random logos and such, and repeat. For now, since there are only two stages, it repeats the first one (right now for instance the screens show Underpass, Rig, Underpass, logos, repeat), but the only reason they'd set it up in sets of three like that would be for all three stages, and since the hub is all different during Splatfest anyway I doubt that's something they'd just carry over and overlook.

I'm sure this has already been pointed out like two OTs ago but it's fun spotting details.

I did not know this

nice find

Went to bed and missed this post but you're pretty good with the brush. I found myself kinda surprised at how often I lost head on versus your brushery in CQC. At the same time, I also wonder how you lost so often to me getting back or side slashes in. :lol

You were very good about getting to the main objectives on the map in the Saltspray matches, but I wondered why you always played distraction first (especially since the thin brush roll lines were a dead giveaway that a brush player was there) instead of coating the upper area so opposing teams couldn't get in immediately and you had more room to approach people with.

Sprinkler use was also on point though I imagine you don't play weapons with sprinklers often enough since there were some really tricky places you could leave them in Cash Dome to make everyone's day hell. (Also shoutouts to you being the non-ninja'd brush that ran in on enemy territory that one time leading to everyone aiming at you while I came in and smacked everything ever so we could both leave untouched. :lol)

All in all, good stuff but I def think you can be even better with it. ;)

Now I'd like to hear some stuff about the charger play I had last night. Upping the sensitivity has led to me getting some really snappy kills last night and I was honestly not expecting to land them, especially when trying to react to you in brush mode.

I have a checklist I made up a few matches in on Saltspray for how I approach the top. It goes something like this:

Get to the choke near the top. Is there another brush?
>If yes, continue straight as a teammate is sure to be in his inktrail, making a confrontation pointless. The one time I engaged you when you were a brush at the choke point near the top I got blasted by whoever was using the Blaster. Something similar happened to you a few matches later.

OK, I'm in the smaller square at the top, is there a Sniper getting ready to perch?
>If yes, hide at an angle near the pipes by the ramp where line of sight is broken, refill ink, and throw sprinkler.
>If no, hide behind the center platform and refill ink slightly to paint the top.
>If another brush user is racing to the top, try and outplay after the choke point. No point in getting splatted by the teammate following the enemy brush at the choke point.

Once at the top
paint paint paint. You need to hide in large areas of ink for a better chance at a successful ambush.

It basically goes something like that. That's my play for the first 30 seconds.

I really don't use weapons with the sprinkler. I prefer my bombs, which is why I don't use the Kelp Splattershot/scope. So when I noticed that you were using it, I was like "it must be to use the sprinklers as bait". You have more familiarity with that sub than I do.

I didn't see you as much as I would have liked in those matches. But I saw a lot of promise in your play when I did see you. Playing Charger at +3 sensitivity is also something else in my eyes. Or did you go +5? Either way, it felt good to duel you. Though there are times where it felt you were being too aggressive and going into CQC situations that is extra dangerous. I noticed you never went up the pipes at the side of the ramp near the top of Saltpray. Those are basically extra sniper perches that overlook the top part of Saltspray better than the usual perch. It's also safer vs the brush. Also, don't be afraid to use very thin walkways or walls that you can stand on to use as a perch. Explore and try to see what you can stand on and if it allows for good cover against enemy fire. Chargers don't need to get in CQC situations most of the time unless the enemy has control of the map. If there's one thing I want to see more from you, it's to stay at the range where you can get as close to over 100 damage as you can. No closer unless they are hiding very well. That is were you hope the C'mon ping summons a teammate for support or there is a better sniping point.

Aiming seemed to be better overall. You aren't whiffing as much as I remember. At the same time, whiffing shots is incredibly easy. I've whiffed the test dummies by a pixel practicing my snapshots. All I want is some non-OHKO AoE effect for the Chargers if they hit the floor prematurely or if you whiffed close enough for the enemy that they are in your ink. =/

I need to observe your play more and on other maps.

So Gaf, Convince me that Moray Towers is good in any mode.

I'm really trying to like it but I just can't. I like mall but on this map its like the extreme version of that. Why try to get to the other side(if you even can) before 30 seconds?

I just tried it on Splat zones and... why? Why 2 zones? Couldn't we just have one in the middle? Rollers just rain ink from above and make it impossible, once again, inkstrikes are the way to go.

So yeah, convince me?

I'm really trying to like it but I just can't. I like mall but on this map its like the extreme version of that. Why try to get to the other side(if you even can) before 30 seconds?

I just tried it on Splat zones and... why? Why 2 zones? Couldn't we just have one in the middle? Rollers just rain ink from above and make it impossible, once again, inkstrikes are the way to go.

So yeah, convince me?

It's probably one of the biggest/open maps in the game, right next to Kelp Dome.
Want quick $$$, play Turf War on this?

RedFyn

Use all 4 fingers at once. If you try to 2 finger the controller, you're gonna tire out from balancing it. Pointers on buttons, middle on triggers. Be sure to use the calibration button, Y, I use it constantly myself.
Wait what? This sounds atrocious.

I need pictures

phanphare

Banned

So yeah, convince me?

because jumping off the side and inking on the way down is baller as fuck

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is how i feel when playing splatzones

http://w.webms.org/m/ReDZgdCC.webm

Sometimes I'm green. Sometimes I'm purple.

If the webm hosting site is banned or the file is too big please tell me and I will remove it.

This is my first time doing this so tell me what you guys think :)

This is hilarious (and true)

oh god. This is the most absurd splatoon video i have ever seen.

http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26699020

This is ridiculous. At around 1:50 in Bluefin Depot when the Kraken is coming after him he turns into a squid and hides behind that box right at the edge of falling off, causing the Kraken to fall off. Wonder how he even found out about it.

Ahnez

Well, earlier today the matches were unstable as fuck

I stopped because it was almost impossible to play :p Looks like it was not just here

Think about it like this, at least you were playing the best Melee character/Smash character
until we actually get Takamaru or Lyn because iai hype.

Still that sucks to hear.

And that was after 4-stocking the other player in the semifinals and quarterfinals..
edit: incorrect, just in the semifinals

I still haven't gotten over it :p
And my friends always makes sure I won't forget about it too lol

Never noticed lol

Interesting actually

I wonder if, after they unlock everything in the base game, they will add all new maps/modes/weapons

I will miss the small-sized updates :/

Violet_0

Banned
say, to those that are currently playing, do the disconnects still happen? I'd hate to be the one who caused this

So yeah, convince me?

the center is the worst (read: best) choke point in the game. E-Liters are having a baller time on this map and the two best sniper positions are really easy to defend from anything but specials. I don't think I've ever played anything but charger on Moray so yeah it's usually really fun

seeing how chargers can cover the entire mid from their perch, I don't think one splat zone would have worked here

Azure J

I have a checklist I made up a few matches in on Saltspray for how I approach the top. It goes something like this:

Get to the choke near the top. Is there another brush?
>If yes, continue straight as a teammate is sure to be in his inktrail, making a confrontation pointless. The one time I engaged you when you were a brush at the choke point near the top I got blasted by whoever was using the Blaster. Something similar happened to you a few matches later.

OK yeah we need to talk about this because this was damn brilliant. I assume you knew the person behind you was packing good firepower because the time I actually ran to engage you (a habit I picked up from fighting Crayolan whenever we were on opposite teams in a noble battle of swords brushes) I got btfo by the Japanese Tentatek user who did crazy amounts of work in that match. I didn't know people were in my trail though so the time with the blaster was all a great coincidence at best.

OK, I'm in the smaller square at the top, is there a Sniper getting ready to perch?
>If yes, hide at an angle near the pipes by the ramp where line of sight is broken, refill ink, and throw sprinkler.
>If no, hide behind the center platform and refill ink slightly to paint the top.
>If another brush user is racing to the top, try and outplay after the choke point. No point in getting splatted by the teammate following the enemy brush at the choke point.

Once at the top
paint paint paint. You need to hide in large areas of ink for a better chance at a successful ambush.

It basically goes something like that. That's my play for the first 30 seconds.

We're on the same page here for sure.

I really don't use weapons with the sprinkler. I prefer my bombs, which is why I don't use the Kelp Splattershot/scope. So when I noticed that you were using it, I was like "it must be to use the sprinklers as bait". You have more familiarity with that sub than I do.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I do wish that there was a brush variant coming with Burst Bombs. I hate that GAF got me so hype thinking about the possibilities of that combination (no more struggling up tall structures when you have to go upward, no more getting two hits of the brush to immediately get circle strafed and shot from two inklings away, etc) and now I just have to pray that based Nogami gives them to us. :lol

My Sprinkler use is pretty much boiled down into three "modes"

- Obvious: placing them in areas to get them coated while I attend to stuff elsewhere/accrue points for Inkstrikes. With a solid count to ten, the area you placed the Sprinkler is coated so unless you want it to cause a persistent hazard condition for enemies coming into that area, you can always throw more sprinklers out to keep the chain of coverage up.
- Defensive: Dropping one while immediately orienting myself to face my opponent [most times out of superjumps into recently reclaimed ground] so I see where their aiming and make the right call between running away (sprinklers absorb a lot of hits surprisngly)
- Misleading: Throw a sprinkler left, come around from the back. Once they're on to this, throw a sprinkler then stay still. Guaranteed when they start looking for the sprinkler user, they either give up enough space that you can move past without worry, flank them, or get support in if people pay attention to your pings.

I didn't see you as much as I would have liked in those matches. But I saw a lot of promise in your play when I did see you. Playing Charger at +3 sensitivity is also something else in my eyes. Or did you go +5? Either way, it felt good to duel you. Though there are times where it felt you were being too aggressive and going into CQC situations that is extra dangerous. I noticed you never went up the pipes at the side of the ramp near the top of Saltpray. Those are basically extra sniper perches that overlook the top part of Saltspray better than the usual perch. It's also safer vs the brush. Also, don't be afraid to use very thin walkways or walls that you can stand on to use as a perch. Explore and try to see what you can stand on and if it allows for good cover against enemy fire. Chargers don't need to get in CQC situations most of the time unless the enemy has control of the map. If there's one thing I want to see more from you, it's to stay at the range where you can get as close to over 100 damage as you can. No closer unless they are hiding very well. That is were you hope the C'mon ping summons a teammate for support or there is a better sniping point.

Aiming seemed to be better overall. You aren't whiffing as much as I remember. At the same time, whiffing shots is incredibly easy. I've whiffed the test dummies by a pixel practicing my snapshots. All I want is some non-OHKO AoE effect for the Chargers if they hit the floor prematurely or if you whiffed close enough for the enemy that they are in your ink. =/

I need to observe your play more and on other maps.

Cool stuff. Thanks for the breakdowns!

Ad yeah I definitely need to figure something out with the two perches overlooking the big northern area of Saltspray.

Robotguy

Yeah, I just remember swinging twice at Azure with him swing back at me and then I'm dead all of a sudden. I thought he killed me, then the screen said "Splatted by Blaster." That threw me off for a bit. =P
Don't think I got a clear shot at you because I was kinda behind Azure, but I managed to get you in my AOE I guess.

i think i'm cursed in ranked.

like the last five matches have been perfectly fine until the other team suddenly mounts a last second comeback that we're all wiped out by and we can't break for some reason. this happened in like three different lobbies.

I started out upper B- and about to be B, now I'm about to fall back into C

StAidan

I would like to think that this experience will make me a better player. SM239 and Ryechu render me helpless in particular.

Violet_0

Banned
i think i'm cursed in ranked.

like the last five matches have been perfectly fine until the other team suddenly mounts a last second comeback that we're all wiped out by and we can't break for some reason. this happened in like three different lobbies.

I started out upper B- and about to be B, now I'm about to fall back into C

Nintendo really nailed the MOBA experience™ with this game

Top Bottom