• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

At least I'm back to where I started. Lag was not kind to me for 12 matches. Team kept losing the lead at the final minute without fail.

Heng

yo Heng, I gotta say your sniping looks mighty impressive and quite different from how I play chargers. Of course, you absolutely had to pick the video of the game in which you destroyed me*

*iirc, technically that was the case for the whole session. I need someone to clear the middle tower on Blackbelly at the start of the game, you repeatedly sniped me from there within the first few seconds in the couple of matches we played it was ridicules
There were other videos I have recorded but it was too one sided and boring to watch (it was just us fighting and your teammates were getting rolled real hard). I've only had the chance to record one of our session since I decided to do it a few days ago. I'm also thinking of uploading my blaster gameplay but I think it would be boring to watch. Maybe a dynamo roller or maybe a nozzlenose if I learn how to play it.

There were other videos I have recorded but it was too one sided and boring to watch (it was just us fighting and your teammates were getting rolled real hard). I've only had the chance to record one of our session since I decided to do it a few days ago. I'm also thinking of uploading my blaster gameplay but I think it would be boring to watch. Maybe a dynamo roller or maybe a nozzlenose if I learn how to play it.

Is it just me or have you not been playing recently.

Geg

Guys, am I lagging? I saw a lot of people teleporting in this last match...

I'm not in there now but I have noticed you lagging a few times. Yesterday I think I splatted you once and the notification didn't come up for a couple of seconds

StAidan

As of this afternoon, I'm 2 points away from B+ rank. I haven't spent much time in ranked and only play tower control, so who knows how long A- will take me.

Heng

I liked that game a lot. Hope you have a great time with it.
So far I'm really enjoying the battle mechanics, the white chronicle stuff, the music, and the characters. I find that I keep spending mana (or mp?) and I think I have to invest in some herbs or go back to the inn more often (which is not possible atm since
I'm stuck in the mine in one time line and infiltrating the enemy's territory in the other
. Maybe I shouldn't use skills unless I have trouble with a certain enemy.

I'm also considering streaming some of my matches when I get back but I'm not sure how many people are interested in watching a crappy webcam. A capture card would be nice but I don't know if I'm going to be serious with the streaming stuff so I don't want to invest money into it.

OryoN

Had like 15+ Tower Control games BACK-TO-BACK in the Warehouse. I was like WTF! The moment I picked up my phone to post a message here about it, they decided to throw me a bone and change the map. Then proceeded to spam warehouse again.

Anyway, I just quit cause I went on a crazy losing streak. Sitting flat(0) at B right now. That 30 pt demotion terrifies me, so I'll jump on later when Splat Zones are available. At least I can carry my team - to a certain degree - in zones if they lose focus/screw up/suck. TC, really punishes poor team-play.

Had like 15+ Tower Control games BACK-TO-BACK in the Warehouse. I was like WTF! The moment I picked up my phone to post a message here about it, they decided to throw me a bone and change the map. Then proceeded to spam warehouse again.

Anyway, I just quit cause I went on a crazy losing streak. Sitting flat(0) at B right now. That 30 pt demotion terrifies me, so I'll jump on later when Splat Zones are available. At least I can carry my team - to a certain degree - in zones if they lose focus/screw up/suck. TC, really punishes poor team-play.

I was in a similar boat a few hours ago. I kept getting Underpass, so when I noticed that, it changes to the Warehouse and the Warehouse only. =P

Unfortunately for me, the enemy team would continue to break our lead at the final minute almost without fail. Two hours wasted in order to get back up to where I started +2 points. =/ Some odd lag shenanigans kept happening.

backlot

Don't worry about the demotion. Regardless of whether you win or lose your next match, 3 wins will but you back at 30 points.

Geg

Don't worry about the demotion. Regardless of whether you win or lose your next match, 3 wins will but you back at 30 points.

Three wins in a row that is. You could be like me when I tried to get back to A- and slingshot between 60 and 90 points for two hours straight

Totakeke

Chargers who don't even go to control the middle lanes at Port Mackerel and instead sit back on the upper levels on your base all the time are the worst chargers ever. Waste of space.

DaBoss

So far I'm really enjoying the battle mechanics, the white chronicle stuff, the music, and the characters. I find that I keep spending mana (or mp?) and I think I have to invest in some herbs or go back to the inn more often (which is not possible atm since
I'm stuck in the mine in one time line and infiltrating the enemy's territory in the other
. Maybe I shouldn't use skills unless I have trouble with a certain enemy.

I'm also considering streaming some of my matches when I get back but I'm not sure how many people are interested in watching a crappy webcam. A capture card would be nice but I don't know if I'm going to be serious with the streaming stuff so I don't want to invest money into it.
Yea, from what I recall, you have to be a bit conservative with your MP, especially in the beginning since you don't have much in terms of MP recovering items.

You could get a cheap capture card or something. Would be better than using a webcam. I don't think you need to be serious about streaming for obtaining one. You could just record some gameplay of other games too if you want to in the future or something.
GGs

any tips&tricks for someone who wants to learn the brush?
The most important thing is that you should get your trigger finger ready. :p

- Use the sprinkler a lot, try to see what locations where others place sprinklers
- Use the roll mode to get some where fast or to escape
- Be sneaky, avoid head on confrontations
- You can keep Krakens away lol
- If it is possible, sneak into the enemy's side of the map and wreak havoc

Azure J

GGs

any tips&tricks for someone who wants to learn the brush?

Everything DaBoss said + don't overexert yourself. Be flexible and try to learn how certain players handle certain confrontations but don't feel like you absolutely HAVE to get that one KO. The large majority of the time, you'd be better off inking somewhere else or just being a moving beacon.

Doorman

This is weird...I can't figure out how I feel about the Sploosh-O-Matic anymore. When I first tested it out in the firing range when it came out, the hit detection on it seemed really wonky and inconsistent and the short range didn't sound right when I'm used to more reachy guns like the .96 and L-3, so I didn't even bother purchasing it. The other night I pick it up partly on a whim for one match, and now I've tried it a little bit more tonight.

I'm not sure exactly what happened between my range test and now, but I actually really like the feel of it more than I thought I would. Bum-rushing in for short range kills is kind of fun, risky but being able to break through and start to beakon the opponent's side of the field feels very satisfying...even if teammates don't tend to use them much at all. It's an intriguing change of pace compared to the stuff I'm more used to using, I've had mostly positive K:Ds and my teams won in general...but score-wise I've been coming in third on-average for ink coverage, where in most random rooms like this I'm more typically first or second. So now I'm caught in this weird middle ground of starting to like the weapon, but not performing with it like I feel I should, especially compared to my other, "better" weapons.

Does anybody else go through debates like this about "felt effectiveness" vs. actual results? I might compare the Sploosh to the Splat and Carbon rollers and just pick one of those three to be my "close quarters" weapon.

Jims

Oh, I forgot. I'm not supposed to try to learn a new weapon after the 10 PM switch. Because that's when all the expert Japanese flick-snipers show up. And then GuySloth to infinitely Bubbler me to death. It's that time of the night. How silly of me. Why bother learning anything else because I'll just get kicked around until I frustratedly switch back to the Dual Squelcher, the only gun I am somehow remotely competent with.

Screw this game.

Jims

*shakes off some of that salt*

Does anyone have any general tips for playing the shorter-ranged weapons? Talking Splattershots, Carbon Roller, brush, .52 Gal, whatever?

I feel like I've been doing good in my mid-range game in general, but my short game sucks. Been absolutely brutal in my close-ranged duels, even with the Splattershots. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my movements. Are there any advanced movement techniques or little tricks you guys use to get the drop on people? Is Ink Resistance a necessity for the messy close-up battlers? Ninja Squid? How much jumping in and out of the ink do you do during your 1v1 battles? Jumping frequently? Is moving and circling too much sometimes the problem?

I wish there was a gym or something where I could practice against bots or something to demo some stuff. Every game of randoms lately for me has been resembling a GAF room.

Xeteh

*shakes off some of that salt*

Does anyone have any general tips for playing the shorter-ranged weapons? Talking Splattershots, Carbon Roller, brush, .52 Gal, whatever?

I feel like I've been doing good in my mid-range game in general, but my short game sucks. Been absolutely brutal in my close-ranged duels, even with the Splattershots. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my movements. Are there any advanced movement techniques or little tricks you guys use to get the drop on people? Is Ink Resistance a necessity for the messy close-up battlers? Ninja Squid? How much jumping in and out of the ink do you do during your 1v1 battles? Jumping frequently?

I wish there was a gym or something where I could practice against bots or something to demo some stuff. Every game of randoms lately for me has been resembling a GAF room.

Ninja Squid is decent in normal games but I wouldn't rely on it in ranked just because people seem to use a ton of Echolocator.

But really it is all about you not popping up in their face. You need to be as stealthy as you can. Just flank people as much as possible. It takes a lot of practice. Most of mine comes from the gold aerospray. You quickly learn to pick you battles and try to lure people in to mines.

Don't stress about playing a couple hours where you're not doing too hot, as long as you're learning to play better it'll come to you.

Top Bottom