• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Jims

Ninja Squid is decent in normal games but I wouldn't rely on it in ranked just because people seem to use a ton of Echolocator.

But really it is all about you not popping up in their face. You need to be as stealthy as you can. Just flank people as much as possible. It takes a lot of practice. Most of mine comes from the gold aerospray. You quickly learn to pick you battles and try to lure people in to mines.

Don't stress about playing a couple hours where you're not doing too hot, as long as you're learning to play better it'll come to you.

Thanks for the encouragement. It's just weird playing this game and being so good at one component of the game, but struggling so much when I have to change tactics. It's a learning curve, so I'm trying not to beat myself up too bad. It's just hard to buckle down and humble myself by failing repeatedly.

With the shorter ranged weapons, how do you feel about approaching versus letting the enemy come to you? Like, let's say you're against a fairly neutral weapon (like vs Splattershot) in a fairly messy/neutral paint situation. I feel the pressure to approach the enemy more (circling around, etc) because of the shorter range. But isn't a lot of it just making the enemy make a wrong decision (swimming the wrong direction) and then popping them when they get close? Is it just about punishing bad reads?

It's obviously going to be a mix of a lot of things, but I'm wondering if my over-aggressiveness with the short-rangers is the real problem. Maybe I should just duck for a second and see where he's going to move.

WALKMAN04

Did not realize we could talk to Guysloth and Master A1 through miiverse. Just so you know Guysloth, I finally saw your miiverse message to me and responded so feel free to talk to me through it anytime. Master A1 you as well. And for gaf Master A1 would like me to inform you guys that it is a 1(one) at the end of his name not an I lol.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have gone from A- (22) to A (76) tonight, I'm so close to reclaiming A+ I can smell it (it's so fresh).

Don't let me down now bubbler!

Doorman

*shakes off some of that salt*

Does anyone have any general tips for playing the shorter-ranged weapons? Talking Splattershots, Carbon Roller, brush, .52 Gal, whatever?

I feel like I've been doing good in my mid-range game in general, but my short game sucks. Been absolutely brutal in my close-ranged duels, even with the Splattershots. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my movements. Are there any advanced movement techniques or little tricks you guys use to get the drop on people? Is Ink Resistance a necessity for the messy close-up battlers? Ninja Squid? How much jumping in and out of the ink do you do during your 1v1 battles? Jumping frequently? Is moving and circling too much sometimes the problem?

I wish there was a gym or something where I could practice against bots or something to demo some stuff. Every game of randoms lately for me has been resembling a GAF room.

For the bolded, it's not exactly ideal but you can kinda sneak a little bit of "bot" practice in with the Octoling Assault missions, though that doesn't give you the choice of loadout customization. I've done a couple of those challenges with the Charger amiibo challenge just to get a sense for aiming at erratically-moving targets before.

As for the rest, the best option usually is to try and set up flank situations, since with most guns the time-to-splat is short enough that catching someone aiming in the wrong direction is usually enough to win an encounter. If you feel like you're in a disadvantageous situation, don't be afraid to fall back a little bit to an area with better ink coverage. One of the biggest tricks that I've noticed (probably used against me more than in my favor, historically) is just straight-up patience. If you know an enemy is in a particular location, don't be too afraid to wait it out, or come up with some way to bait a predictable response that you can then retaliate with. Swimming slowly to negate ripples can come in really handy in a 1v1 stalemate situation, too. Nailed a dynamo roller last night that I knew was waiting for me by slowly creeping around the corner and then popping shots at where I guessed he was hiding. God it felt so satisfying.

StAidan

Omigosh, it took me 2 hours to rank up from B 90 to B+. Every time I started winning, the game would change up my team and stick me with a bunch of those "ink the whole map" players. This was my first time with Splat Zones, though. More fun than I thought it would be.

The most intense match was on Port Mackerel with both teams controlling their own splat zone until 0:30, at which point I managed to sneak into their side and take full control for a full 7 seconds, lol. Games like that make me wish I had an Elgato.

Xeteh

Thanks for the encouragement. It's just weird playing this game and being so good at one component of the game, but struggling so much when I have to change tactics. It's a learning curve, so I'm trying not to beat myself up too bad. It's just hard to buckle down and humble myself by failing repeatedly.

With the shorter ranged weapons, how do you feel about approaching versus letting the enemy come to you? Like, let's say you're against a fairly neutral weapon (like vs Splattershot) in a fairly messy/neutral paint situation. I feel the pressure to approach the enemy more (circling around, etc) because of the shorter range. But isn't a lot of it just making the enemy make a wrong decision (swimming the wrong direction) and then popping them when they get close? Is it just about punishing bad reads?

It's obviously going to be a mix of a lot of things, but I'm wondering if my over-aggressiveness with the short-rangers is the real problem. Maybe I should just duck for a second and see where he's going to move.

I prefer to bait. If you charge in you're betting on them having shitty aim. If you back off and try to lure them in to a better position for yourself then you can rely on you own ability. The BEST players make mistakes. People get greedy when they think the have the advantage. On a map like Skatepark with an Aerospray, I will bail out as soon as I see someone and try to flank or I'll just go elsewhere. The bigger maps are your best friends. Don't faceroll in. Do your best to confuse people.

Azure J

Did not realize we could talk to Guysloth and Master A1 through miiverse. Just so you know Guysloth, I finally saw your miiverse message to me and responded so feel free to talk to me through it anytime. Master A1 you as well. And for gaf Master A1 would like me to inform you guys that it is a 1(one) at the end of his name not an I lol.

:O

I imagine this must be how other people felt on this board when they found out that IntelliHeath's name was IntelliHeath and not IntelliHealth.

Totakeke

Anyone have a count on how many maps they promised us but still have not released? We're getting pretty close to August and still no Camp Triggerfish!

How does GAF impromptu room work?

Everyone just joins people on their friend's list and you get a lobby full of gaf people.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back to A+

I seriously thought I'd never see that A+ ranking again. The B+/A- ranked matches are absolute hell, good luck to the inklings stuck on that endless seasaw of hope and distress.

Geg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back to A+

I seriously thought I'd never see that A+ ranking again. The B+/A- ranked matches are absolute hell, good luck to the inklings stuck on that endless seasaw of hope and distress.

Your avatar is a pretty accurate depiction of how I feel about those matches

Xeteh

How does GAF impromptu room work?

What Totakeke said. Basically if you have people on your friendlist from SplatGAF there is a good chance if you join it that it turns in to a GAF room.

Edit: Feel free to add me if you want. I haven't been the most active lately but I still try to play a couple matches daily.

NNID: Xetehlol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I finally saved up enough money to order items from Spyke, but every time I do, when it's time to pick it up it's missing some or all of the powerups of the original. He says "this is the best I could do, love." What gives? It's annoying to have to wait a whole day for the item only for it not to be what I requested every time.

Robotguy

I finally saved up enough money to order items from Spyke, but every time I do, when it's time to pick it up it's missing some or all of the powerups of the original. He says "this is the best I could do, love." What gives? It's annoying to have to wait a whole day for the item only for it not to be what I requested every time.
Don't trust snail addicts.

(Apparently it's RNG to determine how many of the sub abilities you get. Supposedly the chances of getting all three is pretty low.

Xeteh

There's a chance every time you order items that he finds one with the same sub abilities or with some or none.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Back to A+

I finally got back out of the B+ mines tonight. SO happy to be A- again. had some amazing matches tonight. inkzooka in smart hands is so good in ranked play

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Don't trust snail addicts.

(Apparently it's RNG to determine how many of the sub abilities you get. Supposedly the chances of getting all three is pretty low.

There's a chance every time you order items that he finds one with the same sub abilities or with some or none.

Well that's some baloney. It's going to be a pain to get 3x matching powerup items now since the people in my lobby change every time I play the game and those are rare to find to begin with.

Totakeke

Well that's some baloney. It's going to be a pain to get 3x matching powerup items now since the people in my lobby change every time I play the game and those are rare to find to begin with.

Well you can get to A+ :)

There's plenty of interesting and crazy gear in the A+ ranked lobbies.

Xeteh

So despite feeling a bit burnt out with Splatoon these last few weeks I'm really looking forward to the Splatfest. Hopefully I run in to some SplatGAF people during again.

correojon

Ugh. Splatted a roller from above the spawn ledge in Saltspray Rig, then I drop down and I get splatted by that same roller. The message even said that he had ran over me. Fuck lag.

You can usually talk to Guy on Atr0cious's stream.

...Going off on a tangent, S apostrophe S is a nuisance to me whenever I post or even write. They're technically both allowed, but I don't know which one to use, so I flip-flop on it all of the time. I guess it's a style thing, but it's still annoying.

ANYWAYS, yeah. Is Master A1 also waiting for GAF to authorize his account?

Violet_0

Banned

heh, I also got messages from Sloth and Master A1 and some others I was oblivious about for a month or so. Master A1 pretty much sent me the same the message but I secretly still prefer Master AI

Poca Cola is a troll. Didn't do anything when he was on my team. Then resumed doing things once he went back.

Or he just went AFK. I dunno.

Top Bottom