• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Dryk

Probably just won a match for my team by Inkzookaing two enemies over a wall while trying (and failing) to hit the guy straight infront of me XD

Heng

There is no competition for me in turf war, if you have ever played with the main members of splatgaf you would see that randoms are rarely near our level. I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything but it's not fun winning 95% of your matches with ease and the only times you lose are to laggy people or if your team is down 2 people.

Yeah outside of A+ lobbies I really can't stand randoms sometimes. Splatfest just forces me to play with bad people and it's no fun. I just realized I can finally get around to opening the splatoon amiibos and completing them because I can't play with gaf in my free time now anyway.
I use random lobbies as walking target practice. I usually ignore painting the ground unless I need to move somewhere else. Maybe it's part of the reason I haven't been into Splatoon lately, but gaf lobbies are almost always full and hard to get into.

MlWA77z-3nAxhmPGDN

Roller Coaster Champion! Comin' through!

tumblr_inline_mjmdx2MSNM1qz4rgp.gif

Today's been totally different than yesterday, I've found very capable players consistently since I began to play. Had to take a rest and went to buy other weapons similar to the .52 Gal deco. I'm in the mood to try new stuff, but not so different so I can keep scoring wins for my team.

WALKMAN04

I use random lobbies as walking target practice. I usually ignore painting the ground unless I need to move somewhere else. Maybe it's part of the reason I haven't been into Splatoon lately, but gaf lobbies are almost always full and hard to get into.
You can usually get in eventually, but I know what you mean it can take a while sometimes. I dunno it doesn't seem like playing with them would help, rather just go play ranked for a bit until that spot opens

Hackworth

So if splatfest matchmaking would stop setting up 3v4s with me and two morons vs four gods of sea and paint, that would be great.

Just had a series of losses where I repeatedly take out 3/4 of the enemy team while my allies durdle about, culminating in an actual 4v4 on Saltspray where my allies fought over the tiny bottom section while I tried to keep the enemy confined to a small part of the upper map with the hope of getting support at some point.

Fuck this, I'm stepping out of EU Splatfest for a while.

Effect

Got up to Champion and I think I'm done for the night. Getting to frustrated by the bad teams I keep getting. Even when we win it's not an enjoyable experience. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood tonight.

My worst match had to be 4 against 1. I just stood still. I wasn't about to just pile on a single player that was trying their best. The match should not even start like that. Luckily another player stopped as well so it turn into a 2 v 1 situation that let the score be somewhat respectable.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well in the midst of watching EVO and helping my family with stuff I haven't returned to Splatfest. Ah well.

My nephew is playing right now so I won't be on again tonight. Sorry fellow watersliders!

Kicko

I find that Reddit poll interesting because from my experience as a member of Team Waterslide, I've often found myself facing off against opposing Team Waterslide members.

If we remember from the previous Splatfest, there were many Dog vs. Dog battles simply because the Dog numbers were so overwhelming. Based off previous experience, it should be safe to assume that the numbers are in favor of Team Waterslide. I don't think we should put much stock into that Reddit poll.

Waterslide got this!

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I don't think so, but it's not like I'm gonna bother checking.

For people who do care, you can see the exact times in game on the ballot box poster.

It ends at 9PM Pacific.

You'd think people would want to make absolutely sure they were right when they try to correct someone...

Heng

You can usually get in eventually, but I know what you mean it can take a while sometimes. I dunno it doesn't seem like playing with them would help, rather just go play ranked for a bit until that spot opens
My practice with them usually involve me getting in real close range (range of a splattershot) and try to take them out before they take me out. It's not great practice but it's usually good enough to get me warmed up with twitch aiming, and when they leave, some gaf members usually join my match by then. I would use rank as target practice but it's usually TC when I decide to play, and I hate trying to snipe on TC due to not having a good view of the tower unless I get high somewhere.

And I usually rage in ranked since most of the time I feel like I have to carry my team, like they don't jump on the tower or they try to cap a zone when all the enemies are alive and shooting at the zone.

I adore Splatoon. I really do. I really, really do. But sometimes, it's hard to like this game because Nintendo's going to Nintendo.

Firstly, the connection should not be this shit. Period. There's no reason for it. I have over 400 hours of CoD Black Ops II on Wii U. There are maybe a handful of games where the connection has been less than optimal. In Splatoon, I have to get communication errors three or four times before I can ever get into a lobby. The lag is simply insane. It needs fixed.

The map rotation. What is the point of this again? It makes no sense. If they want equal map rotation, just put the maps (all of them) in rotation at once. I've tried to rationalize this, but I can't come up with anything. I mean, this Splatfest is 24 hours of the same 3 maps. And, if we're going to have a map rotation system, please make it better than what it is now. I stayed with the same group of people for 15 matches. 11 of the matches were on Saltspray.

I adore this game, I really do. But the problems with it are really basic things. For me, the main one is the connection. Makes no sense. None at all.

Zing

Banned
Roller Coaster have straight up resigned at this point. Twice now I have had matches start with only three on the other team. I don't mean they lost connection, I mean there just were not enough players.

Zing

Banned
The map rotation. What is the point of this again? It makes no sense. If they want equal map rotation, just put the maps (all of them) in rotation at once. I've tried to rationalize this, but I can't come up with anything.
Then you need to read the interviews with the developers. Long story short, is that having all maps available negates weapon choice. Everyone will just pick whatever weapon they want or feel is overall best without thought toward the maps. Having only a few maps at a time makes players put some thought into the weapon and gear selection.

WALKMAN04

My practice with them usually involve me getting in real close range (range of a splattershot) and try to take them out before they take me out. It's not great practice but it's usually good enough to get me warmed up with twitch aiming, and when they leave, some gaf members usually join my match by then. I would use rank as target practice but it's usually TC when I decide to play, and I hate trying to snipe on TC due to not having a good view of the tower unless I get high somewhere.

And I usually rage in ranked since most of the time I feel like I have to carry my team, like they don't jump on the tower or they try to cap a zone when all the enemies are alive and shooting at the zone.
Sounds like decent practice, but I have seen people play tower control with a charger well, Im pretty sure you can do it, just play the maps where you have a good sniper perch along the tower line. I don't know if I have to carry teams at A+, but I rarely win if I don't have the most kills, it's weird. Yeah teammate can be frustrating at times like once in a close game I had a roller who was the only person alive and didn't jump on the tower, just tried to be a stealth roller and wait for them to come back and kill them. I got pretty pissed but I'm used to riding the tower myself so I don't mind doing it.

OryoN

Finially home, after a long day at work. Once I settle down and jump in the game, I'll be lucky to get an hour of play. Will be envious of everyone raking in those super sea snails. I picture it like on an episode of Deadliest Catch, where everyone's pots are coming in fully loaded with giant crab, while mine has a couple young crabs and sea bed trash.

StAidan

Recounting one of my silliest teams today...

I join a new team and we end up on Bluefin Depot. As soon as the round starts, I take the right-hand route while my three teammates veer left. The other team apparently had the same idea, because shortly after landing in the right-center area, three green inklings hop down across from me.

I dispatched them all within a few seconds, then notice the fourth enemy on the left side has finished covering the other center. My team is still up on our side, inking our home turf.

The three fellows I splatted come back for seconds on my side, and I take them all out again. At this point I'm thinking we've got the game in the bag, because how could my team possibly fall to these jokers? But I was busy re-inking my side of the center and didn't bother look at the map.

The Three Stooges come back for a yet third helping of ownage, and I'm laughing to myself because they can't get anywhere near me.

I splat one of them, and that's when the fourth guy, who has just finished inking the lowest floor on my team's side (with no resistance, apparently), hops down behind me and splats me with a flick of his roller. That's right, one roller had just spent the first whole minute of the match splatting my teammates multiple times while also covering half of the center and our home base.

The rest of the round was nothing but utter failure, but suffice it to say that my dual squelcher alone was not enough to recover all the ground we had lost.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Then you need to read the interviews with the developers. Long story short, is that having all maps available negates weapon choice. Everyone will just pick whatever weapon they want or feel is overall best without thought toward the maps. Having only a few maps at a time makes players put some thought into the weapon and gear selection.

Which makes sense. But makes it even more asinine that there aren't any options for making load outs to make it quicker to switch up each rotation.

Though honestly, I don't think it has much effect. At least for turf war which is mostly what I play. I just stick with the Aerospray RG and do a ton of painting with the crazy fire rate and am pretty much always first or second in score. I try different things, but nothing works as well.

The few times I play ranked I'll often use different stuff there depending on maps though. But I'm just not a big fan of modes where everyone just has to rush and hold an objective. My aim isn't good enough for hectic shootouts, especially with the motion controls vs. dual analog with aim assist in other games.

RaptorGTA

Too many dropped connection and lag kills...I'm done for the day.I really dont understand how the game has gotten worst as time goes on..

Violet_0

Banned
I've had way too games in TC where I did well as a charger but ultimately lost. I usually have a much easier time carrying my team in Splat Zones, especially on charger-friendly maps

well, and I also don't want to lose my rank yet again so I currently won't touch ranked :p

Heng

Sounds like decent practice, but I have seen people play tower control with a charger well, Im pretty sure you can do it, just play the maps where you have a good sniper perch along the tower line. I don't know if I have to carry teams at A+, but I rarely win if I don't have the most kills, it's weird. Yeah teammate can be frustrating at times like once in a close game I had a roller who was the only person alive and didn't jump on the tower, just tried to be a stealth roller and wait for them to come back and kill them. I got pretty pissed but I'm used to riding the tower myself so I don't mind doing it.
I'll probably use rank as practice soon, I wanted to upload some videos of ranked matches anyways. Yeah I guess I'll have to learn where to stand to get people off the tower, but it irritates me when people stand behind the pole (I know it's there to prevent chargers from dominating this mode, but it seems my enemies are too good at standing behind the pole).

It's going to be weird riding the tower with a charger, I might try to mix it up by using the octobrush instead. That weapon is so much fun to use, it's what I thought the inkbrush should have been from the get-go.

I've had way too games in TC where I did well as a charger but ultimately lost. I usually have a much easier time carrying my team in Splat Zones, especially on charger-friendly maps

well, and I also don't want to lose my rank yet again so I currently won't touch ranked :p
Use a blaster to get your rank back if you dip too low. :p

Teammates keep either walking in front of my shots or right behind me constantly resulting in blocked shots and double kills for the other team. It's fucking maddening.
Life of a charger/blaster.

atr0cious

Teammates keep either walking in front of my shots or right behind me constantly resulting in blocked shots and double kills for the other team. It's fucking maddening.

Thanks for the explanation.

I still think that's a solution looking for a problem. If they want us to use different weapons, then a simple class system is far better than arbitrarily limiting the maps we can play on. If there's one weapon I want to use, and it puts me at a disadvantage, that's my problem. I don't see it as something the developer should try and "fix" for me. Plus, I think people pretty much pick whatever they want anyway. I'd argue the current system of having to back out entirely to change anything about your setup makes it less likely for people to want to change up their gear.

I work and go to school full time. If I come home and see I'm in a 4 hour rotation that includes Salt Spray, I'm out for 4 hours. Heck, I'd be happier if they'd give us a timer or something.

I admit, I'm not a huge online game player. However, I've never played a game that treats class setups and map rotation like Splatoon does. Sometimes, it's okay to do what everyone else is doing. There's a reason for that, Nintendo.

one_kill

Currently on an 8 game loosing streak and so salty I quit for a while.
I can't carry players who don't know the key areas of the map. Srs.
Yeah, it's so frustrating when you get bad players

I wasn't doing so well when I started playing today because of bad team mates, but I was able to find a couple of good ones eventually

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
After playing for five and a half hours today, I finally reached King. Won maybe 15 games along the way; the rest were 2-point losses. I was determined, damnit!

Seven-game losing streaks are still no fun. That was before I found a nice group of players and accumulated most of my wind today, including a four-game winning streak -- I didn't know what to do with myself. Four wins! Straight! Got up to a +6.5 SO HAWT!!, which I'd never seen before today.

WALKMAN04

I'll probably use rank as practice soon, I wanted to upload some videos of ranked matches anyways. Yeah I guess I'll have to learn where to stand to get people off the tower, but it irritates me when people stand behind the pole (I know it's there to prevent chargers from dominating this mode, but it seems my enemies are too good at standing behind the pole).

It's going to be weird riding the tower with a charger, I might try to mix it up by using the octobrush instead. That weapon is so much fun to use, it's what I thought the inkbrush should have been from the get-go.

Use a blaster to get your rank back if you dip too low. :p

Life of a charger/blaster.
Yeah I haven't tried charger yet on ranked at all myself, but might do so soon, since I usually have no trouble regaining my rank to 99 with splattershot pro if it falls. For some reason I get hit by chargers a lot through the damn pole, either I have a slight lag that puts me out of place or they do, I'm not sure. I have seen chargers ride the tower and played against some that were scary riding it. To get people off the tower burst bombs should work, since you use e-liter a lot. Also, I remember some people mention that E-liters on saltspray tower control are amazing I'm not exactly sure why, I think you can stay on the spawn platform and kill pretty easily and view mostly everything, so maybe you should use that map if it pops up to learn charger on tower control. Yeah I like the octobrush more then the inkbrush already, I'll definitely use it from time to time.And also you could always wait for the August update to learn how to play charger on tower control in gaf rooms, if you aren't happy with your results
Teammates keep either walking in front of my shots or right behind me constantly resulting in blocked shots and double kills for the other team.It's fucking maddening.
This actually happened to me a lot and I was using dual squelchers, whenever I died it was usually like this, got a bit annoying honestly

Zing

Banned
Sometimes I have to meticulously ink my entire base just so that my teammates stop doing it and go do something productive.

Top Bottom