• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Meeps

I had way more server errors this time around. So frustrating to get disconnected after winning, even if you do keep the points.

I managed to play almost an hour after playing last night and leaving myself 50 points until king. It was completely awful in comparison to the start of Splatfest yesterday for me. Slow matchmaking, some of the worst lag that I've seen yet, disconnecting teammates and sloppy play all around. I ended up falling short of king by twenty points.

I'm really not happy with the network stability of these two Splatfests so far and the format is kind of boring now too. I hope they make some changes before the next one.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
In contrast to a lot of negative impressions, I had a much better Splatfest experience this time around! Loved the timing adjustment schedule wise, connections were solid, got great teams that almost never dropped out, and maxed out my rank in just a few hours.

Good stuff!

Zing

Banned
I agree. This time was more fun and the time change was very welcome. I did see some disconnected and lagged players this evening (last night and during the day was perfectly fine), but I just assume it's because more people were on and the more mainstream folks are more likely to have poor internet.

I only have two particular gripes when it comes to the Splatfest:

My thoughts:

1. Rank is not owed to anyone, nor guaranteed. It shouldn't be easy for someone to max out. I'd argue that there either aren't enough ranks, or that ranking up is far too easy. Yes, I am one of those people who win 95%+ of my matches in both splatfests. Even poor players can reach at least "champion" status without too much effort.

All that said, the sprit of this game seems to be to just reward people for playing and having fun.

2. I have absolutely no idea what EVO is and it's likely that most people playing this game are in the same boat.

Doorman

Aside from the connection stability somehow being worse than the regular games, I only have two particular gripes when it comes to the Splatfest:

1. I wish that there was some adjustment to tone down the grind aspect of the ranks just a little bit. As it stands unless you make it onto a team that almost never loses, making it to the highest rank can take upwards of four hours to reach, and that feels like a lot to ask for in a single day when the rest of the game is built generally around being able to play in small bursts each day.

2. Can we please stop scheduling Splatfests on top of other events? First one was moved, I know, but having it return on the Fourth of July was meh, and today's occurring during EVO put a bit of a limit on time too. This combined with the time requirement from my first point make the whole thing feel a bit unfair.

I suppose it'd also be nice if there were some way to not count or reduce the impact of uneven matches. The game can recognize when a round begins without a full team (the squid status bar up top shows an empty space instead of a "dead squid"), so it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to give people a break if the matchmaking is going to continue its fuckery.

DumbNameD

Had a pretty solid run of water slide teams (even had water slide vs water slide a couple of times in the morning). Won mostly, but struggled on Saltspray Rig. It must be the height difference that causes inklings to gravitate toward the bottom area.

Screencapped this at the very last minute:
r44S1B1.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
2. Can we please stop scheduling Splatfests on top of other events? First one was moved, I know, but having it return on the Fourth of July was meh, and today's occurring during EVO put a bit of a limit on time too. This combined with the time requirement from my first point make the whole thing feel a bit unfair.

Totally agree with this.

And a simple solution is to just make the +2 bonus for every 400p you get in a match.

So +2 if you only pass 400, +4 if you pass 800, +6 if you pass 1200 and so on.

In general the game needs to do a better job of rewarding good play on a bad team since the matchmaking is all random other than joining friends.

Hackworth

MlWA770BwvQ2gZQ-oJ

ETERNAL! Aw yis.

After a series of matchmaking shitshows (and a 3v3 game), my final game was ~80% in favour of my team. I'm gonna take a nap.

@dmaul1114: yeah an extra bonus for higher scores would be really nice.

Jims

I didn't have too many issues with the Splatfest either, connection-wise. There would be a little bit of lag in random matches and got a few 3v4s or 4v3s but everything was mostly smooth sailing.

Does anyone else who plays a good amount of Randoms notice anything different in terms of the players during Splatfest? I don't know if it's a placebo effect, but the games felt... different today. I didn't really see that many hopping Dynamos or crazy flick snipers or .96 and .52 Gal users much. Maybe it was the new weapon releases, but the games felt a little more easy-going and less aggressive in general.

Geg

Had a pretty solid run of water slide teams (even had water slide vs water slide a couple of times in the morning). Won mostly, but struggled on Saltspray Rig. It must be the height difference that causes inklings to gravitate toward the bottom area.

Screencapped this at the very last minute:
r44S1B1.jpg

Aww I like how that was just randomly assigned to the firework

Totakeke

Aside from the connection stability somehow being worse than the regular games, I only have two particular gripes when it comes to the Splatfest:

1. I wish that there was some adjustment to tone down the grind aspect of the ranks just a little bit. As it stands unless you make it onto a team that almost never loses, making it to the highest rank can take upwards of four hours to reach, and that feels like a lot to ask for in a single day when the rest of the game is built generally around being able to play in small bursts each day.

There's a reason why there's multiple ranks and not just one rank. If you don't have time to play then just aim for a lower rank. Given the lack of other modes at this event, if it only took like one hour to reach max rank, there's very little reason to play more for the day.

Since splatfests seems like is running on a global scheduling, I doubt there's any real consideration of every region to playing them. It'll be a big ordeal to consider every "important event" in NA, Europe, and Japan just to set a splatfest date. It'll come every several weeks too so it's not really that big of a deal.

Geg

Both the popularity and win rates were surprising lol. I was sure roller coasters were the more popular. And is 152-148 the closest splatfest result yet?

At least the superior squid sister won

je_ssi e

On the winning team both times!
Dogs & Coaters hype!

Got to be honest, though.. I was expecting to lose this one.

Time to read the salt on MiiVerse now. Aha.

Totakeke

I think because real kids can't ride on roller coasters, team water slides had a lot more younger players. Ah well, no big deal. 18 sea snails is still 18 sea snails.

ryechu

yay. the best part of splatfest. The gloating and the salt. Coasters rule. Kindga Ka. Millenium force. El Torro. Nitro. X2. Tatsu. Lets go.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
GET REKT TEAM WATER SLIDES! #TeamRollerCoaster

Awwww yeah. Rolling around with 30 shellfish now after my Dog and Roller Coaster team victories.

Also have we ever gotten a description for that cat/fox/catdog that's staring down at you in the plaza?

CFR2TCeUIAABprG.jpg-large-640x360.jpeg

Heng

So all that salt from the last saltfest was unjustified since the more popular team lost right? I remember people were making a big deal over the 2% difference in the win rate and felt like they should have won, and iirc some said it was impossible for the less popular team to win.

Pokemaniac

Nice that coasters won. That was insanely close, though.

Also, I've always chalked up the heightened network issues during Splatfest to being forced to play with people in the same region as me. The US has terrible Internet in general :(

Totakeke

Nice that coasters won. That was insanely close, though.

Also, I've always chalked up the heightened network issues during Splatfest to being forced to play with people in the same region as me. The US has terrible Internet in general :(

I had only two connection errors during the whole splatfest where I took two characters to max rank.

Team Water Slides may have lost, but at least the team that won more games actually won the Splatfest. Which it should have been in the first place.

Late Team Cat salt here.

Totakeke

Apparently they have a 4v4 setup at Evo where the winning team gets Splatoon swag.

6zGf0L5.jpg

Good to see they're promoting it to the competitive crowd at least.

Pokemaniac

I had only two connection errors during the whole splatfest where I took two characters to max rank.

That has not been my experience. During this Splatfest alone, I saw like 8 or so connection errors and some of the worst lag I've ever seen in this game. That is not a normal day of Splatoon for me.

Awwww yeah. Rolling around with 30 shellfish now after my Dog and Roller Coaster team victories.

Also have we ever gotten a description for that cat/fox/catdog that's staring down at you in the plaza?

CFR2TCeUIAABprG.jpg-large-640x360.jpeg

Pretty sure those are a kitsune and tanuki, respectively.

Jims

Hooray, finally on the winning team. After the Team Cat fiasco, I was prepared for the worst. *high-fives all roller coaster brethren*

Super-close split on the popularity. What was it, 52-48? That's really around where it should be for these things. Like, 55-45 at the very worst.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lots of 3v4, connection errors, and general shittiness early on. In the evening, much improved. We have a LAN adapter and our internet is solid. Frankly if I had as many connections issues in a PC game, I'd probably put it down. These issues should be mostly resolved when we can have private lobbies and ensure someone is not screwing us p2p. Random lobbies will always be a shit show in terms of internet and skill.

Top Bottom