• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Heng

What are some good headwear to max slot out and for re-rolling?

I'm stuck on Jungle Hat and want to try something different.
Depends on what weapon you're using buy I think tenacity is pretty good. That's the gas mask, glasses, and snow beanie looking head gear.

ryechu

ink main, bomb throw, dmg up, special up, tenacity, swim speed up and quick respawn are what i usually see.

studio headphones, pilot goggles, squash headband, snorkels, fake contacts, gas mask, black arrowbands, sporty bobble hat, backwards cap, etc

takoraka mesh, tentacles helmet, bike helmet for honorable mentions.

Zing

Banned

Comeback is a good ability for ranked, so the paintball helmet is something I wear often.

Other frequent use:
Contacts (when I am using bubbler or echolocator)
Tinted shades (turf war)

ryechu

dang, how do people have so much turk inked on their weapons. I play splattercopes all the time but im barely 500k across both weapons.

MlWA770PHCwsE1xanQ

This is fitting. Playing as someone who lays beacons is so frustrating sometimes.
I've gotten boned enough times trying to that I just don't bother.

Then again I don't really play this game anymore. Got fed up with my connection being jank so I'm going back into Pokemon because lag doesn't matter there.

MlWA770PHCwsE1xanQ

This is fitting. Playing as someone who lays beacons is so frustrating sometimes.

Team mates not using beacons are probably the main reason why I won't use the Octobrush often. Why have a weapon where one of the main features doesn't go into use that much?

Geg

One of my teammates in Splatfest yesterday used my beakons but he was the worst player on the team. He'd use one, run to the enemy, and get splatted, basically wasting it :(

atr0cious

Team mates not using beacons are probably the main reason why I won't use the Octobrush often. Why have a weapon where one of the main features doesn't go into use that much?
Use them for yourself. Daboss mentioned it earlier, and I was messing around with it myself today, but stacking super jump and then planting beacons everywhere could be a viable strategy, especially for a player like you, who already super jumps out of trouble. You could be flying around like bullet to any openings really quick.

Geg

I need to learn the art of beakon spam

Also I did not know that getting hit by enemy ink in midair affects your momentum and jump height. Now I do

Use them for yourself. Daboss mentioned it earlier, and I was messing around with it myself today, but stacking super jump and then planting beacons everywhere could be a viable strategy, especially for a player like you, who already super jumps out of trouble. You could be flying around like bullet to any openings really quick.

I have been planning on making specific load outs, like a loadout where all the abilities focus on the sonic speed. Run/Swim Speed Up, and Quick Super Jump/Respawn.

But that means dealing with RNG. And I wasted most of my sea snails from the other splatfest for my current loadout. I got lucky since, 6 were for slots, and the other 8 were rerolls, but still, not going to deal with Spyke.

Off topic real quick, I tested damage up on all chargers, the Squiffer still needs to be charged all the way, even with 3 damage up mains the dumb thing still won't kill on early charges. But the e-liter can kill with 2/3 of the charge meter filled, so that's nice.

I'll be playing in the next half hour or so too... fuck it, I'll play right now.

Zing

Banned
As mentioned, even if teammates don't use them, they are great for your own purpose. They are so strong on Moray Towers.

I have a "build" with Splooshamatic. I run Comeback, Quick Jump, and Quick Repawn. I'm not sure if the brush is cut out for the job. With the brush, instead of jumping, I focus on ink saver and run speed, so I can just "roll" out of trouble.

ggs, our team seemingly like beakons
I couldn't believe how often the opponents just ignored the beacons. There was one match on Moray where I would repeatedly jump to my beacon on the lower ledge, place a new beacon, climb up and splat an enemy, die, then return to the same beacon. Didn't they wonder how I kept returning so quickly?

Also, very frustrating in one match where one teammate would use my lower ledge beacon, then immediately run out into the center open area, so I was unable to safely superjump back to him to place new beacon.

superjump kraken is always hilarious
That one time I was being chased and surely going to die, I saw your superjump lamding indicator and was saying "nooooooooooooooo" but then you landed with Kraken and all was right with the world.

I guess I should've thought about it more, but if I'm using a long range weapon then there are still places where I don't want to fight from on Moray Towers. The middle is Charger bait, but I do better when I hold the middle, weave through Charger fire, and storm the sniper perch, as opposed to fighting Sploosh-o-Matics and Octobrushes in close combat.

Geg

Also, very frustrating in one match where one teammate would use my lower ledge beacon, then immediately run out into the center open area, so I was unable to safely superjump back to him to place new beacon.

That wasn't me was it? D: I know I used that beakon of yours a lot but I usually put one down again immediately after landing

Ansatz

Did not expect team eat to have 63% popularity, especially because I barely played eat vs eat matches, at least not nearly to the extent of rock vs rock ones so I thought it would land somewhere between that number and 50%. Also the bulk of eat v eat matches took place early in the morning so it's safe to say the kids picked team eat.

Even beforehand I had a feeling sleep would take the wins, but I was thinking the popularity votes would outweigh the lack of wins so I joined team eat.

Why do sleepers complain though? Yes the system sucks, but we know how it works now from the first event and it was clear that team eat would gain more popularity based on a glance at miiverse posts so if you want to win why did you go with sleep? I'm saying this out of frustration because sleep had the better players. I hate how the skill distribution is uneven between categories, it makes it hard to predict the winning side lol.

Violet_0

Banned
I couldn't believe how often the opponents just ignored the beacons. There was one match on Moray where I would repeatedly jump to my beacon on the lower ledge, place a new beacon, climb up and splat an enemy, die, then return to the same beacon. Didn't they wonder how I kept returning so quickly?

I was pretty impressed by the speed in which you managed to set up a beakon camp. I always had to remain vigilant and stop you at the lower ledge, and once I got splatted - beakons everywhere. The new brush is pretty annoying as well since they can just use the kraken to bypass me and next thing I now the enemy team has captured the whole upper area

in my experience people are generally rather sloppy when it comes to removing beakons, even in GAF rooms
That one time I was being chased and surely going to die, I saw your superjump lamding indicator and was saying "nooooooooooooooo" but then you landed with Kraken and all was right with the world.
yeah I like to do that on Moray when there's nothing going on in the center. I intentionally pick the worst possible jump locations in hopes of attracting as many opponents as possible

Geg

It's hard to get rid of beakons once there are like five on your side of the map and the whole enemy team is there too

DaBoss

The Moray Towers matches were annoying cause every time I pushed, the enemy team would push in greater numbers into our side as well and place a lot of beakons. The thing is that every time I pushed, it seemed like it was a neutral state in terms of who had control. I thought maybe if I stayed back, I may have been able to help stop it and destroy the beakons.

Azure J

Walleye is what I live for as an Octobrush user.

I wanted to try out Quick Super Jump overload for the Sploosh-o-Matic, but the Octobrush pushed me into doing it. Once I get better at placing beakons a lot and super jumping to them quickly outside of times I'm not dead, it will be a really fun playstyle.

I wanted to mess with this but I have no gear set up properly for it. I'm really going to go crazy with experiments now that I have a stream to get reactions/ideas from regularly.

Zing

Banned
That wasn't me was it? D: I know I used that beakon of yours a lot but I usually put one down again immediately after landing

No, this was before you joined, when half the room was non-GAF.

I was pretty impressed by the speed in which you managed to set up a beakon camp. I always had to remain vigilant and stop you at the lower ledge, and once I got splatted - beakons everywhere.
It's the power of the SPLOOSH. Lays ink fast enough to make it possible to dodge chargers and rush across the middle. I also enjoyed our shootouts in the skatepark. My daughter had fun watching as well.

The Moray Towers matches were annoying cause every time I pushed, the enemy team would push in greater numbers into our side as well and place a lot of beakons. The thing is that every time I pushed, it seemed like it was a neutral state in terms of who had control. I thought maybe if I stayed back, I may have been able to help stop it and destroy the beakons.
Oh plz

Do what all the cool kids do and blame your teammates.

Ansatz

If I use the ninja squid ability and swim at max speed, can other players hear me as I get close to them? It feels like they react to me and know exactly where I am before I show myself.

At least on my screen, the sound from swimming while submerged increases as I increase my speed, if this applies to other players as well then the ability is pretty much useless as you still need to manually stealth swim by moving slower when in close range.

Laggy Dynamo Rollers and that range. Hate, I only feel hate.

Also enemy Kraken Rollers that can somehow slam their rollers down faster than the inkbrush.

GFD team, push!!!!

I'm a fan of Phoenix Wright and all, and comebacks in ranked may feel like rising from the ashes, but it just drives me nuts how the majority of the Tower Control games tonight are spent as tdm until the last minute.

Or how the opposing side always beats you down any moment given until you go outside the box.

hmmmm. situations where viable seem low but could be good for a laugh

Just to clarify, specials can be activated after you traveled about 20-30% of the distance down, not when there's 20-30% of time remaining on the jump.

Okay, just let me get 1 hit by the blast radius of a blaster.

Edit: The one time I use beacons in ranked, every one uses it......... while the enemies are riding the tower to our base.

Second edit to avoid being on top of the wall of shame next thread:
I updated my avatar after what I went through in ranked this night.

Ozium

I only launch to a beacon if it is logical to jump there, but most of the time it isn't.

if your beacon s in the middle of turf that i ours while the teammates are all in safe positions into enemy territory, why use the beacon?

if there is a teammate right near the beacon, why wouldn't I just fly to them instead of using up the beacon?

beacons are the most useless sub in the game

atr0cious

I only launch to a beacon if it is logical to jump there, but most of the time it isn't.

if your beacon s in the middle of turf that i ours while the teammates are all in safe positions into enemy territory, why use the beacon?

if there is a teammate right near the beacon, why wouldn't I just fly to them instead of using up the beacon?

beacons are the most useless sub in the game
this is my dilemma. I know the beacon user is somewhat relying on the beacon, and I'd rather jump to the user than waste the beacon, but sometimes it ends up backfiring and I'll get the beaconer in trouble.

Top Bottom