• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Moonlight

Banned
I've been fucked over hard by beakons before, I wouldn't sleep on them. They're a static position and when you've got a lot of them loaded inside the enemy base, they're pretty excellent for safely getting in. Warping beside team-mates isn't necessarily the best option either, IMO, though admittedly it's because I've had a lot of dumb teammates, since they're... well, moving, and they're not always going to be moving where you want to be.

Geg

Also how do you know for sure whether or not your teammates are truly in safe positions in enemy territory?

Either way beakons are completely game-changing in certain stages, like Saltspray

random25

I only launch to a beacon if it is logical to jump there, but most of the time it isn't.

if your beacon s in the middle of turf that i ours while the teammates are all in safe positions into enemy territory, why use the beacon?

if there is a teammate right near the beacon, why wouldn't I just fly to them instead of using up the beacon?

beacons are the most useless sub in the game

Beacons are good when the ones using it are good at putting them in strategic positions. In Saltspray for example, a beacon placed somewhere on the largest area where the cargoes are makes it easy to secure that territory in turf wars or easily get back and take the zone in splat zones. In Arowana Mall, there's also a good spot where opponents don't go much in ranked battles where you can place a beacon to make ambush attacks or go for a push in tower control. There are a lot of areas where these beacons can really help, but it's really up to the user where to place them sensibly.

Ozium

Also how do you know for sure whether or not your teammates are truly in safe positions in enemy territory?

by looking at the gamepad and where the location of teammates is relative to your ink and enemy movement (by keeping track of their ink and any team deaths if they happen or do not happen) and knowing the map you are playing.

Also enemy beacons show up on the map and as soon as I see one I go to destroy it so I don't know why they are that good (except that I learned from Sendou's post that you don't have a spawn ring at a beacon which I didn't know)

edit: I misread what you asked so I edited my post to answer properly

lzjn7Ac.jpg

I finally did it! I got A+99

Now to never play Ranked again to preserve it forever...

Also Copy dot com is fucking horseshit.

I just finished my first Splatfest yesterday (Europe). Couldn't make the first one. I think it's an awesome event and the online infrastructure was holding up surprisingly well for me.

The only bummer is: Ok so I got a bunch of Super Sea Snails... but what do I do with them? The amount of gear is so limited that I am hardly ever changing any equipment.

What about you guys? Are you really trying out different kind of gears, upgrading them with Super Sea Snails?

Bummer that Nintendo isn't adding any new gear.

Sendou

They are. In fact even in the game's code there's gear we can't access yet.

Re: using snails. I just use them to reroll towards that perfect piece of gear (which looks acceptable and has perfect stats) but it's so hard.

They are. In fact even in the game's code there's gear we can't access yet.

Re: using snails. I just use them to reroll towards that perfect piece of gear (which looks acceptable and has perfect stats) but it's so hard.

Really? Has there been any gear added since the launch though?

This is nobody's fault but my own, but I figure I should let this be known.

So, remember the first Splatfest? Well, I got myself up to the "Champion" rank, and then quit playing Splatoon for the day and went to work. When it's my work week, I generally don't play video games; I need to wind down after my work day, and video games usually amp me up.

So, anyway, after the first Splatfest, I didn't turn on Splatoon until the Splatfest on Saturday. I've been occupied with other games. Now that I've returned to Splatoon, I did not obtain the super sea snails that I would have gotten from the first Splatfest!

I'm probably not the first one to report on such a thing, but...yeah, I didn't get my eight super sea snails for being a Champion in the first Splatfest. I'm not really angry, since I didn't have concrete plans for them anyway, but...I've learned to make sure I claim those sea snails early, because if I don't, I guess I never will.

tsundoku

so if I make a miiverse drawing in the splatoon plaza box will it appear with my inkling as default or I need to do something?

Your guess is as good as any. This is how I would have preferred it to work so you could at least see your friends drawings. It seems to maybe show up for 4 hours until the maps change and then if your post hasn't had many Yeah!s it disappears.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is nobody's fault but my own, but I figure I should let this be known.

So, remember the first Splatfest? Well, I got myself up to the "Champion" rank, and then quit playing Splatoon for the day and went to work. When it's my work week, I generally don't play video games; I need to wind down after my work day, and video games usually amp me up.

So, anyway, after the first Splatfest, I didn't turn on Splatoon until the Splatfest on Saturday. I've been occupied with other games. Now that I've returned to Splatoon, I did not obtain the super sea snails that I would have gotten from the first Splatfest!

I'm probably not the first one to report on such a thing, but...yeah, I didn't get my eight super sea snails for being a Champion in the first Splatfest. I'm not really angry, since I didn't have concrete plans for them anyway, but...I've learned to make sure I claim those sea snails early, because if I don't, I guess I never will.

Great. I've just gotten back from a holiday so I haven't touched Splatoon as well since the first one having grinded up to top rank just before the holiday.

Now I fear when I finally turn on Splatoon today I'll get nothing.

If so that's an awful design decision.

Sendou

Great. I've just gotten back from a holiday so I haven't touched Splatoon as well since the first one having grinded up to top rank just before the holiday.

Now I fear when I finally turn on Splatoon today I'll get nothing.

If so that's an awful design decision.

It really is especially considering how often Splatfests seem to happen.

Jakku

Holy crap, team eat won by a landslide. I was expecting eat to be much more popular because... well, kids don't like sleeping, but that was a crazy difference.

I'm Level 14 now and gathering some three piece gear, and I think I want to tackle rank for the first time. Is there a different mindset I need to take compared to splat zone? Krak-On Roller and the Spray are dominant on that mode, but what's preferred in rank? I know nothing about it besides one version you try and control one specific area, and the other is a moving control tower you need to bring to your base.

Beacons are something I desperately want to learn how to use effectively, but have no idea how to go about doing it. As good a sub as it seems to be on the Octobrush, you're entirely reliant on the rest of your team being capable of making a push for the middle ground so you can get them in locations that are useful for yourself, because nobody else ever uses them.

I dunno, just being on a 20+ losing streak at the moment is disheartening. I'm not getting any chances to learn and improve with the Octobrush because the entire team gets steamrolled back into the base within the first 30 seconds by a lone Japanese Gal user every time.

correojon

Holy crap, team eat won by a landslide. I was expecting eat to be much more popular because... well, kids don't like sleeping, but that was a crazy difference.

I'm Level 14 now and gathering some three piece gear, and I think I want to tackle rank for the first time. Is there a different mindset I need to take compared to splat zone? Krak-On Roller and the Spray are dominant on that mode, but what's preferred in rank? I know nothing about it besides one version you try and control one specific area, and the other is a moving control tower you need to bring to your base.

The standard roller (the one with Suction Bombs and Killer Wail) is pretty good for both Splat Zones and specially Tower Control. In ranked you´ll be facing the opponent much more than in Turf Wars so the suction bombs give you a lot of possibilities, specially if you are facing more than 1 enemy at the same time. Killer Wail can stop the Tower from the other end of the map.

Blasters seem pretty popular too, again specially for TC as their painting capabilities suck for Splat Zones. Chargers are very popular too, lately the Elite 3K has been getting a lot of love. Dinamo Rollers are harder to use but if you can wrap your head around them I´ve seen many people dominate in both modes with them. The Gals are very good too...

I guess all weapons are viable, however in higher ranks I haven´t seen anyone using aerosprays, so avoid those. I´m using mostly the standard Roller and .52Gal and sometimes Elite 3K and Blaster SP if I´m playing horribad in TC. Just pick a weapon that you´re comfortable with and go with it.

Ansatz

The lag is much more noticeable in ranked mode after having played an entire day of splatfest, I don't know what can be done but it's very annoying.

Ozium

I have to say that both ranked modes are utter trash compared to Turf Wars. It feels like I'm playing Mario Kart.

wut?

Ranked is better than Turf Wars.. at least IMO, gives me something to fight over.. in Turf Wars it's just paintin' shit with no care which is still fun but I find myself not taking it as seriously...

I think you've just been spoiled by GAF games.

once August hits I hope I see some splat zone GAF lobbies.

Sendou

wut?

Ranked is better than Turf Wars.. at least IMO, gives me something to fight over.. in Turf Wars it's just paintin' shit with no cares.

I think you'e been spoiled by GAF games.

once August hits I hope I see some splat zone GAF lobbies.

I don't know. Turf Wars has more strategy involved and more skillful encounters. TC and SZ just have more chaos.

Sendou

I'm sure ranked modes seem pretty chaotic if you approach them without strategy.

How do I get this strategy when you can't team up? I just won 15 games in row so it's not like I'm overly salty or anything. It's just inferior to Turf Wars in my opinion. Interested to see how it'll play out with GAF.

Ozium

I'm sure ranked modes seem pretty chaotic if you approach them without strategy.

#rekt

How do I get this strategy when you can't team up? I just won 15 games in row so it's not like I'm overly salty or anything. It's just inferior to Turf Wars in my opinion. Interested to see how it'll play out with GAF.

You are just getting lucky by the graces of matchmaking...

How do you do strategy in Turf Wars when you can't team up?

Ansatz

I have to say that both ranked modes are utter trash compared to Turf Wars. It feels like I'm playing Mario Kart.

Tower Control and Turf Wars are the two actual Mario Kart modes, not splat zones.

Turf Wars - the outcome depends solely on the final 30 seconds of a map
Tower Control - one last second push can win you the game after having been controlled the entire match

Splat Zones awards you points for every second that you control the map, unlike the other two modes, and the points you accumulate is the sole condition for winning.

BUT that said, splat zones have this bullshit penalty wall that increases the closer you are to zero, so splat zones is competitive but only to a certain extent thanks to this comeback mechanic.

It's all about making unlikely comebacks possible even after having been dominated for a long period of time.

Zing

Banned
The only bummer is: Ok so I got a bunch of Super Sea Snails... but what do I do with them? The amount of gear is so limited that I am hardly ever changing any equipment.

What about you guys? Are you really trying out different kind of gears, upgrading them with Super Sea Snails?

Are you only ever using one weapon?

I have maybe six weapons that I use on a regular basis (and this number seems to grow every week). Each of those weapons benefits from different skills. My choice of gear is also affected by the currently running stages.

I buy every piece of gear I can, and I suspect I have almost everything now. I have added at least 30 slots. The gear I wear changes almost daily.

beacons are the most useless sub in the game
in Turf Wars it's just paintin' shit with no care which is still fun but I find myself not taking it as seriously...
So, you were the guy never using the beacons and just "paintin shit" on the southern platform in Saltspray.

backlot

Tower Control and Turf Wars are the two actual Mario Kart modes, not splat zones.

Tower Control - one last second push can win you the game after having been controlled the entire match

Splat Zones awards you points for every second that you control the map, unlike the other two modes, and the points you accumulate is the sole condition for winning.

BUT that said, splat zones have this bullshit penalty wall that increases the closer you are to zero, so splat zones is competitive but only to a certain extent thanks to this comeback mechanic.

It's all about making unlikely comebacks possible even after having been dominated for a long period of time.

I don't really understand your criticism of Tower Control. Splat Zones also has the same overtime mechanic as Tower Control.

Ozium

So, you were the guy never using the beacons and just "paintin shit" on the southern platform in Saltspray.

No.

When?

I dunno..

Maybe?

Last time I played with GAF was a few days before the Splatfest.

I tend to go wherever I see I am needed if there are people fighting or else I go to a place on the map that needs to be painted and then move on..

I don't really understand your criticism of Tower Control. Splat Zones also has the same overtime mechanic as Tower Control.

He doesn't like that the closer you are to 0 in splat zones the longer your zone control timer gets if/when you lose control.

DaBoss

I don't get why people are using Mario Kart to say a mode takes little skill or something. Mario Kart is all about skill and strategy with luck involved. Skill will beat out luck consistently.

And then I don't understand criticism towards a game being possible to be decided within the last 30 seconds. The natural assumption is that if you have the lead, you'll maintain the lead to the end. Do you want the losing team to just give up in the last 30 seconds? It's not exactly really easy to pull off a comeback.
He's saying one big push is enough to win even if the team that won was doing poorly during the match.

I don't find this to be an issue at all.

Gsnap

As time goes on and after the august update, I imagine turf wars will be the default mode for any competitive play. Focusing all attention on one small spot (which is basically what you do in the two ranked modes) seems to undermine a lot of the game's dynamics and turns the game into more of a basic shooter.

Turf wars is pretty unique and having to control the entire map, rather than just a small portion of it, has lead to far more enjoyable, tactical, and dynamic matches in the time I've played.

In a perfect world, we'd play all the modes, though. They're all fun.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the other modes fall out of favor as time goes on.

Ansatz

In splat zones, you are awarded points every time you are in control of the map. Being in control and dominating the opponent doesn't necessarily mean you have the zone/tower, it just means that you control where the game is flowing. You have the upper hand. I mean, yeah they can inkstrike and gain the zone momentarily but in the end it has no effect as you will ink over it immediately.

Same in tower control, you can make an early push to get it down to 40 and then manage to dominate the other team by not letting them past your first line of defense for 3 entire minutes. You keep them at say 78 for the entire match, but in those last 10 seconds, they finally get the quad kill and push past your score.

This means for those 3 minutes of hard work, you weren't awarded anything. At least in splat zones if they manage a last second retake, well they still need to hold it for as long as you did! It's not an automatic win.

It's a much more impressive feat to hold them off for the entire game, requiring alot of hard work and great performances, while the game instead awards the other team for that one lucky push in the end.

He's saying one big push is enough to win even if the team that won was doing poorly during the match.

I don't find this to be an issue at all.

Oh it's not an issue in and of itself, it's just not suited for competitive play. It's the typical Nintendo party game design.

Ozium

As time goes on and after the august update, I imagine turf wars will be the default mode for any competitive play. Focusing all attention on one small spot (which is basically what you do in the two ranked modes) seems to undermine a lot of the game's dynamics and turns the game into more of a basic shooter.

Turf wars is pretty unique and having to control the entire map, rather than just a small portion of it, has lead to far more enjoyable, tactical, and dynamic matches in the time I've played.

if this is what you do in Splat Zones then no wonder you don't like it. You need to get the area, and then expand your ink and guard entry points/hide/push the enemy team back through ink control..

If the whole team is focusing too much on the square you need to get then it will probably be taken from you. And with two splat zones it makes it even more betterer

Violet_0

Banned
I don't get why people are using Mario Kart to say a mode takes little skill or something. Mario Kart is all about skill and strategy with luck involved. Skill will beat out luck consistently.

And then I don't understand criticism towards a game being possible to be decided within the last 30 seconds. The natural assumption is that if you have the lead, you'll maintain the lead to the end. Do you want the losing team to just give up in the last 30 seconds? It's not exactly really easy to pull off a comeback.

well on certain maps in Turf Wars like Port or Underpass you can really easily make a comback within the last few seconds. All the kills and back and forth play in the first 2 minutes don't really matter much in my opinion, this is a bit of a flaw in the whole Turf Wars concept. You can go 12/0 for the first two and a half minutes, then get splatted once near the end of the game and suddenly the enemy team is in control of the map and you are sort of responsible for losing despite doing well before

Gsnap

if this is what you do in Splat Zones then no wonder you don't like it. You need to get the area, and then expand your ink and guard entry points/hide/push the enemy team back through ink control..

If the whole team is focusing too much on the square you need to get then it will probably be taken from you. And with two splat zones it makes it even more betterer

Obviously. What I meant was the game forces focus on one area. That's the point of the mode. "Controlling this area is how you win", compared to "Controlling this entire map is how you win". I do think one leads to more interesting matches, and makes more of the game's systems and mechanics.

backlot

In splat zones, you are awarded points every time you are in control of the map. Being in control and dominating the opponent doesn't necessarily mean you have the zone/tower, it just means that you control where the game is flowing. You have the upper hand. I mean, yeah they can inkstrike and gain the zone momentarily but in the end it has no effect as you will ink over it immediately.

Same in tower control, you can make an early push to get it down to 40 and then manage to dominate the other team by not letting them past your first line of defense for 3 entire minutes. You keep them at say 78 for the entire match, but in those last 10 seconds, they finally get the quad kill and push past your score.

This means for those 3 minutes of hard work, you weren't awarded anything. At least in splat zones if they manage a last second retake, well they still need to hold it for as long as you did! It's not an automatic win.

It's a much more impressive feat to hold them off for the entire game, requiring alot of hard work and great performances, while the game instead awards the other team for that one lucky push in the end.

You make it sound like it's easier to get a last second win in Tower Control than in Splat Zones. Doesn't the timer move at the same rate in both modes? Why is getting a quad kill in Tower Control so much worse than getting one in Splat Zones?

Heng

How do you guys think tournaments will handle gear? Everyone will have different sets that they build their play style with, and you would need a large amount of gear with appropriate subs on them. Do you think they will just make us use pre-made sets? Imo this is where amiibos could have shine and allowed us to transfer our characters to another wii u.

Junahu

And the last 30 seconds of a map depends solely on the rest of the match. If you've dug in a good defensive line and are pushing against the enemy, then they are at a severe disadvantage and are required to make certain, predictable, moves in order to get back into the game. If you have ink everywhere, then you have a direct mobility advantage over your opponent, who needs to shoot a path for themselves first.

Yes, last minute upsets happen, but that's not a product of the mode itself. Reversals happen because someone made a play and the other team had an exploitable hole in their lines. That kind of thing happens because the other team over-extended itself and (in my opinion) deserved to lose.

Ansatz

You make it sound like it's easier to get a last second win in Tower Control than in Splat Zones. Doesn't the timer move at the same rate in both modes? Why is getting a quad kill in Tower Control so much worse than getting one in Splat Zones?

If you hold the zone for 90 seconds and the other team manages to retake it, that's great but they still need to pull off the equivalent work you did and that's to hold it for 90 seconds.

In tower control all you need is one lucky push forward after having been completely locked down for the entire match. You are not required to do the equivalent work, which is to lock the other team down for 3 minutes.

Gsnap

And the last 30 seconds of a map depends solely on the rest of the match. If you've dug in a good defensive line and are pushing against the enemy, then they are at a severe disadvantage and are required to make certain, predictable, moves in order to get back into the game. If you have ink everywhere, then you have a direct mobility advantage over your opponent, who needs to shoot a path for themselves first.

Yes, last minute upsets happen, but that's not a product of the mode itself. Reversals happen because someone made a play and the other team had an exploitable hole in their lines. That kind of thing happens because the other team over-extended itself and (in my opinion) deserved to lose.

Yeah, last minute come backs happen in every game ever, and it is in no way indicative of bad design or an uncompetitive mode.

Last second comebacks generally don't happen when you have a significant lead anyway. But if you're consistently keeping around 50-60% of the map, it's not absurd for the other team to be able to make a last second push.

If you hold the zone for 90 seconds and the other team manages to retake it, that's great but they still need to pull off the equivalent work you did and that's to hold it for 90 seconds.

In tower control all you need is one lucky push forward after having been completely locked down for the entire match. You are not required to do the equivalent work, which is to lock the other team down for 3 minutes.

I don't really understand how equivalent distance is not the same amount of work, but equivalent time is.

Zing

Banned
He doesn't like that the closer you are to 0 in splat zones the longer your zone control timer gets if/when you lose control.
I feel this is a great mechanic. It helps prevent blowouts and adds a lot of tension to the controlling team. Without this, the first team to gain control should win almost every time.

In your hypothetical tower control scenario, your team simply got their "one lucky push" earlier in the match. The opposing team earned their win regardless of when each team makes their big push during the time limit.

DaBoss

Oh it's not an issue in and of itself, it's just not suited for competitive play. It's the typical Nintendo party game design.
I don't get how it isn't suited for competitive play. Just because it is possible for the losing team to win doesn't mean it is "not suited for competitive play".
well on certain maps in Turf Wars like Port or Underpass you can really easily make a comback within the last few seconds. All the kills and back and forth play in the first 2 minutes don't really matter much in my opinion, this is a bit of a flaw in the whole Turf Wars concept. You can go 12/0 for the first two and a half minutes, then get splatted once near the end of the game and suddenly the enemy team is in control of the map and you are sort of responsible for losing despite doing well before
This is definitely annoying when it happens, not gonna say it isn't, but the idea is that if you were able to hold them off for that long, you could hold them off even longer.

The equivalent work would be to get the tower to a counter lower than the winning team and holding them back. It isn't a "lucky push", it's a push that the winning team apparently couldn't stop despite holding the other team back for a while.

Sendou

That's not it. I meant TC and SZ seem to have a bigger luck factor than Turf Wars but as others have pointed out it's not fair comparision until you can decide who you play with in the two former.

Top Bottom