• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Jackano

Spyke/ordering question:

Whenever I order a three star item with three sub abilities I only get the first sub. Is that just how it is or am I having bad luck?

As far as I can tell, it's very random. Most of the time I got only one sub ability. I remember getting two once, and the price sky-rocketed.

correojon

Spyke/ordering question:

Whenever I order a three star item with three sub abilities I only get the first sub. Is that just how it is or am I having bad luck?

Burst bombs and inkzooka for neosplash. E liter has Burst/echo.

I´ve read stories of people getting all 3 subs, however I´ve got the first one as well. Do you already have that piece of gear with all 3 slots unlocked?

DaBoss

I pretty much suck with the Splatterscope now due to using the E-liter so much. I can still cover ground with the Splatterscope well though.

E-liter scope is gonna be a monster. The charge time is probably half way or something to get the scope.

correojon

A/A/B+/B+ vs. B/B/B/B

What a match making.

I´m starting to think that the game also considers your recent history (or points) for matchmaking...like, maybe that match was something like:
A0/A0/B+0/B+0 VS B90/B90/B90/B90

Or the 2 As just outright sucked in their last matches and got K/D of 1/10 consistently. The devs also said that your playstyle is taken into account when matchmaking.

Don´t know, but there seems to be something more behind the matchmaking formula.

Spyke/ordering question:

Burst bombs and inkzooka for neosplash. E liter has Burst/echo.
It is random. For instance, I put in a order for a 3 star item and got two subs.

But I am too poor lol.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I´ve read stories of people getting all 3 subs, however I´ve got the first one as well. Do you already have that piece of gear with all 3 slots unlocked?

Not sure, I didnt know you could order an item you already owned so i never paid attention to that.

Thanks for the answers. So i guess it's worth it to keep trying. I have a pair of shoes with three defense ups so now I'm determined to get more like that.

Geg

I want to change weapons so badly but can never leave. Even the random japan guy refuses to leave. Haha.

It turns out a friend of mine who started playing fairly recently was trying to join me in some of those games last night. If either of you left I bet he would have been in for a shock about the skill level of the room lol

Are you only ever using one weapon?

I have maybe six weapons that I use on a regular basis (and this number seems to grow every week). Each of those weapons benefits from different skills. My choice of gear is also affected by the currently running stages.

I buy every piece of gear I can, and I suspect I have almost everything now. I have added at least 30 slots. The gear I wear changes almost daily.

So, you were the guy never using the beacons and just "paintin shit" on the southern platform in Saltspray.

Sorry for the late reply. I do change between weapons, but not between drastically different kinds of weapon I suppose.
I really like the Ninja squid shirt (don't remember the names right now) and the Ninja super jump sneakers and both have quite nice skills on them so yeah, I don't really ever change that.

Maybe it's a mistake and the Ninja abilities are overrated, but for me they really stand out among the others.

Zing

Banned
I personally do find the Ninja abilities overrated.

Stealth Jump could potentially allow you to jump more often. However, if it is safe to jump anyway, then the jump delay added by the ability is a penalty with little benefit.

Ninja Squid is simply a virtual speed limit on your swimming. You can accomplish the same effect by just not swimming at top speed. If it made you stealthy on walls (which it doesn't), that would be a different story.

All this said, most of the abilities have minor effects as well. I am constantly trying new combinations and always seem to find something fun. For example, special duration up has surprised quite a few opponents as they try to outwait my bubble.

phanphare

Banned
I personally do find the Ninja abilities overrated.

Stealth Jump could potentially allow you to jump more often. However, if it is safe to jump anyway, then the jump delay added by the ability is a penalty with little benefit.

Ninja Squid is simply a virtual speed limit on your swimming. You can accomplish the same effect by just not swimming at top speed. If it made you stealthy on walls (which it doesn't), that would be a different story.

All this said, most of the abilities have minor effects as well. I am constantly trying new combinations and always seem to find something fun. For example, special duration up has surprised quite a few opponents as they try to outwait my bubble.

agreed. I was all about that ninja squid when the game released. now I can't live without my swim speeds, ripples be damned.

Ninja Squid is particularly useless given every single team is packing at least 1 Echolocator now. I'd rather not be marked for 12 seconds rendering my "stealth" useless when you can simply swim smarter to avoid being seen anyway.

Timeaisis

So when in August are we getting team matchmaking? Anyone know?

I'm not really Splatoon-ed out, but I haven't been playing as often. I really love this game, but I'm tired of playing with randos in ranked. It's frustrating.

I really hope we can play ranked modes together come August. Tower control would be tons of fun.

Violet_0

Banned
man, I hate the scoped chargers, why do they have more range : /

OK, I demand theory mode on gear suited for E-Liters. Heng, Ryechu, Violet, BlueSilver and Sendou, go.

any number of Damage Ups - 3 main 2 sub give you 25% more damage and 2-shot uncharged shots against no armor, but you could just as well go with less or none at all. The more you stack, the less you get because of diminishing returns

Tenacity is worth considering since you usually survive longer as a charger. Not sure if Ink Recovery Up is all that useful. Perhaps get some Special Charge Up or Bomb Range Up. Dunno how much of an effect Ink Saver Main has on the E-Liter, you'd have to experiment with it. In general, I think it's better to focus on fewer abilities and stack them or get some of the unique abilities like Ninja Squid

e: oh I just tested Ink Saver Main, one main ability almost gives you another fully charged shot. You might want one of these

Jintor

Ninja Squid is particularly useless given every single team is packing at least 1 Echolocator now. I'd rather not be marked for 12 seconds rendering my "stealth" useless when you can simply swim smarter to avoid being seen anyway.

i love ninja squid but i'm considering switching it out to defeat echolocators because YO FUCK ECHOLOCATION

my sweet hoodie tho

Nico_D

Tenacity?

Haven't got any. All I got in relation to the special meter is Special Charge Up as a sub. Another setup I have is with two main SCU's and one sub. And it has happened with both. Right after spawning and swimming back to action. Today I had to act so I didn't see if it would've charged to full but once before it did by swimming and staying put. Weird.

No sprinklers either.

Heng

I think it's easier to get kills once your marked because the other team becomes too confident and over extend themselves. It's hard to approach a charger who preemptively lays ink around themselves because they're anticipating an attack. It's even better with a weapon with a bubble because they won't know you have it if you stay in your ink.

I would also say you're not completely useless if you get marked. You could use that time to ink the floor, or be a distraction while your team with cold blooded goes offensive.

Swimming smarter is something that should be practiced but in an actual situation it may be too hard to do. When you see the dynamo rollers wind up their attacks or get pressured by bombs, swimming at a certain speed is another thing you will have to worry about. You could make the case of just trying to swim away, and sometimes it works, but other times you won't get away especially against a dynamo. Imo it's easier to trick your opponent into thinking where you might be. Most dynamo rollers will assume you will try to run away but I've found more success swimming towards them then run away after they've flick their ink.

In the end, it comes down to your preference. I've found more success running with squid ninja than with cold blooded. It might change when there's custom teams in August, who knows.

WALKMAN04

Haven't got any. All I got in relation to the special meter is Special Charge Up as a sub. Another setup I have is with two main SCU's and one sub. And it has happened with both. Right after spawning and swimming back to action. Today I had to act so I didn't see if it would've charged to full but once before it did by swimming and staying put. Weird.

No sprinklers either.
Was it really slow or fast? Because I'm not 100% sure but it will slowly go up on its own, I think.

Nico_D

Was it really slow or fast? Because I'm not 100% sure but it will slowly go up on its own, I think.

Not fast but not very slow either, you could see it moving. I'd estimate that at that speed it would be fully loaded in about 20-30 secs or so.

So I'm the only one? Hmm.

Finalow

from 24 snails I have 4 left and I think I wasted most of them. great

got 3 defence ups in one piece of gear but I don't really see that being very useful.

btw, why do you need damage ups for the E-Liter? Don't you kill with one hit anyway?

Robotguy

Apparently, dynamo roller can outrange jet squelcher? Ouch.
No. And most of the random dynamo's I play don't seem to realize this making them easy to pick off.

Dynamo does outrange dual squelcher a bit, but dual squelcher is a bit outside of the kill zone, and you can kill them faster at that rate than they can kill you, though it is a bit difficult to get the spacing correct for that.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
E-liter with scope :eek:

I have a feeling that this will only lead to a minor advantage to charger users, though. Those who are great snipers to begin with will not see their performance improve by that much. Those who suck are still going to suck. Also, the splatterscope and the e-liter already exist. So if you want a scope, you already had that option; same with awesome range. So the only ones who will see their performance really spike are those for whom the combination of scope + range makes a big difference.

Also, have they ever said when in August the big update will occur?

Robotguy

got 3 defence ups in one piece of gear but I don't really see that being very useful.

btw, why do you need damage ups for the E-Liter? Don't you kill with one hit anyway?
You can kill at less than full charge with damage up.

I think swimming speed up makes me harder to climb up walls, and makes me leaving ink when swimming through a mound.

Also I lost a splat zone match today because two of my teammates DCed during the first minute of the game, but I still get -10. :\

Zing

Banned
"You do not currently have an internet connection"
Nice.
"No wifi detected"
Wii U networking at its finest.

I admire this Chris guy. He has triple defense up. Curious how it will affect my burst bombs.

Decided to re-roll some gear to see if I could get anything useful for the Octobrush, boy did Spyke deliver.

AkzUC9E.jpg

Chargers have an interesting property of doing proportional damage depending on how long you charge your shot before releasing it. You can test this in the test room; a Splat Charger at full charge deals 140 damage (I think?) to a squid dummy with no defense ups, which is 40 more damage than you need to splat a squid. Assuming that's true, you only need to charge a little over 70% in order to deal 100 damage.

If you stack Damage Ups while using a Charger, you will certainly increase your overkill on max charge shots. But it also means that you don't have to charge as long in order to get a shot that can deal 100 damage. This will let you splat enemies more quickly and also helps if you're fighting enemies at close range and don't have the luxury of charging longer.

Keep in mind that in order to fire a shot that will cover the maximum distance and width, you will need to fully charge that shot anyway.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
"You do not currently have an internet connection"
Nice.
"No wifi detected"
Wii U networking at its finest.

I admire this Chris guy. He has triple defense up. Curious how it will affect my burst bombs.

Two star tan work boots? Might be mine.

Top Bottom