• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Nico_D

-64% prefer an aggressive playstyle (taking out the enemy) over a non-aggressive one (focusing on spreading ink)

That explains why some feel they're too often the ones trying to capture a zone or riding the tower.

Like today. Many, many times. My team members find strange new distant routes when the clock is ticking and they'd be needed where the actual action is.

Zing

Banned
Whelp, it's happened. The word about "suicide roller" build has got out. I'm playing splat zones and every match has at least two of these even when I change rooms. They focus on respawn time and just rush out and splat until they die, and repeat.

Sigh.

Azure J

Watching that max quick respawner made me realize that I really want to make that play style work in the future. Edit: I definitely remember talking it up before, but now it's become a thing in tower control? Gotta look into some stuff now.

Crayolan

It's just about the saddest "missed opportunity" ever as is. If it came with Suction Bombs or more optimally Burst Bombs, it would be the best brush overall (yes even over Octo and its variants) just for the utility.

I KNEW you could do it. I just never knew how to re-emulate sniping a sprinkler on the enemy team's side through said grate. Now I HAVE to get better with E-Liter Scope. :lol

What's so good about the octobrush? I tried it the other day and thought it was shit.

Zing

Banned
I've been running comeback, quick respawn, and quick jump since the start of Tower Control. I think now that we have tested proof that quick respawn stacks so well, we will see it far more often.

Azure J

What's so good about the octobrush? I tried it the other day and thought it was shit.

Honestly, kill power and spread are its immediate benefits. I would hesitate from calling it garbage though since even the current incarnation does work. It's just not where I personally want it to be yet .

Not much, currently. It deals max damage at a much better range than the IB and kills in less hits, but swings slower (making close range kill speed the same), consumes way more ink and has crappy, patchy ink spreading.

For Turf Wars it is flat out worse, but it is better for ranked. The Octobrush Nouveau is the one to watch out for though, it'll be a very nice option for ranked.

SM239

I still find beacons somewhat useful even if my team ignores them. I like to use them to retreat without having to jump to spawn or another teammate as that can land me in the middle of a firefight. It also allows me to quickly jump to key points if I see the enemy trying to make a push on the other side of the map.

Beacons also allow you to perform one of the greatest insults in Splatoon imo. Placing your beacon on the enemy spawn point. lol

Geg

I offically give up on beakons in public matches. Not a single person used one of mine in the last few matches.

As long as I find it useful it's worth it.

Honestly sometimes I don't want my teammates using my beakons if they're bad, because they'll use it up, rush to the enemy, and get splatted

You would think people use beacons by now, yet they still don't.
Finding safe places to place Beakons is actually quite hard from my personal experience. I'm usually pretty frustrated at other teammates not using my Beakons as well, but I'm also wondering if the Beakons are just in the wrong places.

I usually want to place Beakons near a wall so that anyone using them will have some cover when coming down, but also be as close to the middle as possible.

The only places I know of which are absolutely (or mostly) fine for Beakons are:

1) The side alleys to the left of the spawn point in Walleye Warehouse.
2) On top of the big pile of crates in Saltspray Rig.
3) On the big white stone slabs from your spawn before the middle pits of Bluefin Depot.
4) Behind the barrier on the last platform before you get into the middle on Moray Towers.
5) At or near the end of the long alley on the far left or far right of the spawn for Port Mackarel.

I literally don't know where else to put them which would save travel time while also not being overly vulnerable.

a) Kelp Dome is so accessible everywhere thanks to the catwalks. Where should I be putting Beakons on this map which wouldn't leave me or my allies in compromised positions while also saving time?
b) Blackbelly Skatepark is also pretty small and is very level, so it's usually more practical to swim somewhere than to super jump.
c) Beakons are great on Moray Towers due to how much traveling is done on the map, but they're often vulnerable.
d) For Port Mackarel if I'm going through the middle lanes from spawn, I sometimes leave Beakons in the corners of the wide area before continuing into the middle chokepoints, but the Beakons die very quickly here too.

Geg

I still find beacons somewhat useful even if my team ignores them. I like to use them to retreat without having to jump to spawn or another teammate as that can land me in the middle of a firefight. It also allows me to quickly jump to key points if I see the enemy trying to make a push on the other side of the map.

Beacons also allow you to perform one of the greatest insults in Splatoon imo. Placing your beacon on the enemy spawn point. lol

If I kill an enemy after they jump down to a beakon sometimes I'll place one of my own where it used to be while they can still see it on their "splatted by" screen :lol

Robotguy

What happens if you put a beakon in the path of one of the cars on port?
I'm assuming they just destroy it, but I can't remember ever seeing a collision between the car and beakon.

Zing

Banned
Enemies tend to ignore beakons also. You would be surprised at where you can put them. Anywhere is safe, since there is no indicator when someone is jumping to it. Just place one in any nook or cranny. It will likely go untouched by enemy and your teammates can come blazing in.

The forklifts destroy the beakon on Mackerel. I placed one there accidentally the other day.

So I think I'm going to drop the splattershot pro as my long range weapon and stick with the dual squelcher I really like the vanilla version but I'm kind of interested in the custom version. But I don't want to lose my splat bombs. Decisions...

Robotguy

Enemies tend to ignore beakons also. You would be surprised at where you can put them. Anywhere is safe, since there is no indicator when someone is jumping to it. Just place one in any nook or cranny. It will likely go untouched by enemy and your teammates can come blazing in.

The forklifts destroy the beakon on Mackerel. I placed one there accidentally the other day.
Guess they probably destroy smash walls as well then.

Finding safe places to place Beakons is actually quite hard from my personal experience. I'm usually pretty frustrated at other teammates not using my Beakons as well, but I'm also wondering if the Beakons are just in the wrong places.

I literally don't know where else to put them which would save travel time while also not being overly vulnerable.

a) Kelp Dome is so accessible everywhere thanks to the catwalks. Where should I be putting Beakons on this map which wouldn't leave me or my allies in compromised positions while also saving time?
b) Blackbelly Skatepark is also pretty small and is very level, so it's usually more practical to swim somewhere than to super jump.
c) Beakons are great on Moray Towers due to how much traveling is done on the map, but they're often vulnerable.
d) For Port Mackarel if I'm going through the middle lanes from spawn, I sometimes leave Beakons in the corners of the wide area before continuing into the middle chokepoints, but the Beakons die very quickly here too.

Kelp - Literally on the center, absolutely everyone should prioritise keeping that safe and only spread out to side areas when possible anyway. Failing that behind the little wall things in each corner of the middle section.

Blackbelly - Agreed, the only place for a beacon on this map is the central tower.

Moray - Those two little pathways down the side of the ramp leading to the splatzones are perfect for beacons, nobody ever sees them and they put your team right into the action while bypassing the sniper spot. Also behind that box thing on the ledge overlooking the splatzone. Don't ink the area, just shove a beacon there. If nobody inks it, the team never checks it. Also if you can make a big break into the enemy base, just shove beacons down on the ramps near the base, after they have been painted once nobody ever checks them again.

Port - You know where the moving vehicles are in the lanes? On the edges of the lanes are a couple of tiny little ledges you can just barely jump to. Shove a beacon there, nobody EVER checks them.

Pretty much any low traffic area just near the hotspots that the enemy doesn't have direct line of sight to is perfect, and every map has tons of them. That said even if you are dropping them in an open area, as long as you own that territory it is a hell of a lot safer to jump to the beacon than a teammate as you don't leave an approach marker.

StAidan

5) At or near the end of the long alley on the far left or far right of the spawn for Port Mackarel.

It takes a few extra seconds to get there, but the tiny raised ledges that are accessible only by jumping from the top of the moving machinery on both ends of its route are great locations, in my experience. I think most folks still don't even know about them, and they're practically hidden from view from most angles.

I'm pretty sure those ledges are there purely for the use of the beacons, from a level design point of view.

EDIT: Beaten.

Geg

Yeah I've been using that place on Port Mackerel for beakons for a while now. Learned that trick from a Japanese random, jumped to one of their beakons there and was like "What the fuck? What is this? Where am I?"

Regarding that Quick Respawn thing, my favorite casual play and non-Charger gear has 2 of them. Three seconds of waiting IIRC. It's great. =P Azure knows the set I'm talking about. Too bad he used the wrong boots IMO.

Thanks for the Beakon talk everyone! :) I tried a Quick Super Jump set with Beakons awhile back but I didn't get much success. I'll try again, but I think I'll try being less heavy on Quick Super Jump.

Kelp - Literally on the center, absolutely everyone should prioritise keeping that safe and only spread out to side areas when possible anyway. Failing that behind the little wall things in each corner of the middle section.

Blackbelly - Agreed, the only place for a beacon on this map is the central tower.

Moray - Those two little pathways down the side of the ramp leading to the splatzones are perfect for beacons, nobody ever sees them and they put your team right into the action while bypassing the sniper spot. Also behind that box thing on the ledge overlooking the splatzone. Don't ink the area, just shove a beacon there. If nobody inks it, the team never checks it. Also if you can make a big break into the enemy base, just shove beacons down on the ramps near the base, after they have been painted once nobody ever checks them again.

Port - You know where the moving vehicles are in the lanes? On the edges of the lanes are a couple of tiny little ledges you can just barely jump to. Shove a beacon there, nobody EVER checks them.

Pretty much any low traffic area just near the hotspots that the enemy doesn't have direct line of sight to is perfect, and every map has tons of them. That said even if you are dropping them in an open area, as long as you own that territory it is a hell of a lot safer to jump to the beacon than a teammate as you don't leave an approach marker.
The only problem with putting the Beakons on the center areas for Kelp and Skatepark is that those places tend to be Inkstrike bait, but at this point I probably want too many things to be perfect for Beakons :p

I... actually haven't played Splat Zones on Moray Towers yet lol :( But I think I can visualize the positions you are talking about!

The small platforms on Port Mackarel is interesting, I'll keep that in mind!

So, for the longest time I've been using long-ranged non-charger weapons, since I don't like getting too close to the action: Jet Squelcher, Custom Dual Squelcher, and Splattershot Pro (haven't unlocked the alternate build yet).

My strategy with the Jet Squelcher has been to ink as much as possible to build up my special and unleash an Inkstrike on a contested area. Take unsuspecting people out at long range when possible, since combat has long been my biggest weakness. It seemed to be effective in randoms. I was wondering how you guys use the Splash Wall effectively, if at all. So far the best use I've gotten out of it has been guarding the side alleys in Arowana Mall on the opponent's side, since the Squelcher can ink the entire length of the alley and the Wall prevents anyone from getting too close to me, forcing them down the middle, where my teammates can pick them off if they're competent.

How do you guys use the Splash Wall? Does anyone use the vanilla Jet Squelcher, or is the custom version recommended?

Geg

So, for the longest time I've been using long-ranged non-charger weapons, since I don't like getting too close to the action: Jet Squelcher, Custom Dual Squelcher, and Splattershot Pro (haven't unlocked the alternate build yet).

My strategy with the Jet Squelcher has been to ink as much as possible to build up my special and unleash an Inkstrike on a contested area. Take unsuspecting people out at long range when possible, since combat has long been my biggest weakness. It seemed to be effective in randoms. I was wondering how you guys use the Splash Wall effectively, if at all. So far the best use I've gotten out of it has been guarding the side alleys in Arowana Mall on the opponent's side, since the Squelcher can ink the entire length of the alley and the Wall prevents anyone from getting too close to me, forcing them down the middle, where my teammates can pick them off if they're competent.

How do you guys use the Splash Wall? Does anyone use the vanilla Jet Squelcher, or is the custom version recommended?

Robotguy uses the Custom Jet Squelcher. Let me tell you, that range combined with the Kraken if you manage to get close enough to hit him is a pain to deal with

Zing

Banned
I frequently use the 52 Gal with splash wall. My favourite way of using it is to enter an area and toss one down, then ink to my side and behind while the wall protects me. It's my personal bodyguard. I basically use it to watch my back.

SM239

Thanks for the Beakon talk everyone! :) I tried a Quick Super Jump set with Beakons awhile back but I didn't get much success. I'll try again, but I think I'll try being less heavy on Quick Super Jump.

Try using Stealth Jump. The slow jump speed from the nerf can actually work in your favor if you time the tap right before an enemy takes out your beakon. Some players hang around for a bit after taking out a beakon to see if anyone lands, but since your jump is so delayed they will have already left or turned their back so you can usually get the jump on them. It also allows you to safely jump to teammates that have already gotten behind enemy lines and from there you can start dropping beakons on the enemy side of the map.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I offically give up on beakons in public matches. Not a single person used one of mine in the last few matches.

Keep with it, I take adavntage of them. Whenever my team loses terribly (like 75% for winning side), almost always it is because the other team has a perimeter of beacons at key points as they push forward.

Nico_D

Some slight lag going on. Me on some other guy shot each other. When it shows who killed me this dead man's gun was still shooting. Must have been full-automatic.

Was playing Turf Wars to level up a shirt. Multiple players got drop out of the game in many matches.

Edit: Oh, and I always use beacons if I see them. But have seen the same thing: no one uses one of mine.

Robotguy

Personally I prefer the Custom Jet Squelcher. I feel like it's a great weapon set because it has the longest non-charger range in the game, but burst bombs and Kraken mean that you can pose a threat in the mid/close range as well.

As for splash wall, I don't think I ever really used it to it's potential while playing Jet Squelcher. I think it's good for blocking off routes, which you can use to try to get people to come around a certain way. If you can predict which way they'll come around you should be able to set up to shoot them from out of their range when they appear. Another thing you could try would be using it for misdirection. People are probably going to assume you are going to stay behind the wall when they see you throw it down. You may be able to take advantage of this to sneak to a different position and take them down from somewhere they aren't expected. It's also good for covering your ass when you're setting off and inkstrike.

Granted I haven't played much of the standard Jet Squelcher, so this isn't really the most tried and tested advice.

Junahu

I'm still trying to figure out the correct etiquette for when to say "Nice/Booya". Most players use it as a "thank-you" or a "well-done", but those aren't particularly helpful.

I'm trying to use it after splatting some foes and securing the area, but that doesn't happen too often, so I also use it if I see all of the enemy team die during my kill-cam/recon. Basically I want to use the call out as an "all clear" signal, which is something that IS helpful to know.

But I can't let go of my urge to be polite and give "Nice/Booya" to people who save me, or don't die when I super jump to their location.

It's hard work being a squid.

Top Bottom