• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Well with all those new options for teams I guess I should throw my hat into the ring and start joining GAF players for Splatoon, Team Ranked is going to be an absolute godsend since I can actually do my job and support the team rather than be expected to go on massive 1v4 killing sprees with a brush/carbon.

If anyone in the GAF rooms happens to have any free friendlist space to spare my ID is AzureSymphony

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think the IRC chatroom should become a necessity for private games, would make it easy to vote on maps and teams or let it go to random. At least till there's voice chat.

Whatever happens though I can't wait :D

...why not use Skype? Then we'd all have voice chat during games, too.

Can anyone give me an idea of the experience someone young will have coming into this game now?

My daughter is 9 and she really wants it. I want to buy it for her but I'm worried that the online community has matured and will just crush her. What will her experience be like at this point?

Totakeke

Can anyone give me an idea of the experience someone young will have coming into this game now?

My daughter is 9 and she really wants it. I want to buy it for her but I'm worried that the online community has matured and will just crush her. What will her experience be like at this point?

Well all games are through a matchmaking system right now so she'll be players at the same skill levels as her. Can't speak for a real kid, but I think she'll be fine. It's unlike other multiplayer games where you go into lobbies people made themselves and you have players of all skill levels being able to join that lobby, here you just join a game and it'll pair up with people at your level.

Geg

The game has skill/playstyle based matchmaking, so if she focuses more on inking around than on getting kills the game will match her with more players of similar stats.

It's not perfect though. In my experience the game doesn't count players who join a room by joining up with a friend as part of the pool of users it determines matchmaking on. So if a really skilled person joins a low-level room, and more skilled people join them and stay in the room for a while, any new players who randomly join the room will all be low level, low kill score players. This exact thing happened with the gaf room I was in last night, where it was clear the Japanese randoms we were playing with were little kids.

Robotguy

I think she'll be alright. The game tries to pair you with people who have similar skill level based on K/D and turf inked. Occasionally we have less skilled players ending up in the higher level lobbies, but I think the game does an alright job for the most part. The game has a leveling system, but it doesn't really use it for matchmaking because they recognize that you can climb the levels just by playing a lot rather than by being good.

I don't really know, but I think they were chasing me essentially. I basically showed up when they were all there, and they all greedily wanted to splat me. As I turned to run I dropped a bomb in my wake and then lol
Just one of the many reasons to never have your whole team in the same place I suppose.

No rerolls either.

nQfFoeQ.jpg

1v4 on Turf War Kelp Dome is nice/bad in both ways. You're going to lose by default, but at least there's no team mates to take your turf, so more points for you.

Edit: Matchmaking and team balance needs to be tweaked in the August 6th update also.

Besides what other people have said, I'd just like to add that if you're worried about her getting crushed online, make her complete the single-player mode before letting her compete online. It's actually really good training, and a lot of the multiplayer maps actually make appearances in it, so she can learn the environments in a relatively "safe" environment before having to put her knowledge of the maps to the test in online play.

Totakeke

It still pains me to read people complaining about random matchmaking being the main reason why they're not at higher ranks.

Why are people thinking that preset teams will use the same ranking system or even have an affect on it? Did they comment on it somewhere?

Also, doesn't this image mean that Turf War is available for private lobbies?

9NIUw4y.jpg

StAidan

It still pains me to read people complaining about random matchmaking being the main reason why they're not at higher ranks.

Why are people thinking that preset teams will use the same ranking system or even have an affect on it? Did they comment on it somewhere?

I haven't seen any information to that effect, it sounds to me like you can simply choose any game mode (Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control) for your private lobbies and it will have no effect on your rank whatsoever.

Totakeke

I haven't seen any information to that effect, it sounds to me like you can simply choose any game mode (Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control) for your private lobbies and it will have no effect on your rank whatsoever.

Actually looking at this image makes me think that squad battles will have an affect on ranking. That essentially means the previous rankings are not as meaningful anymore.

mD21k3D.jpg

People seem to think that having preset squads will mean less brutal ranked battles... I'm not so sure that is true. :p It'll be interesting to see how it turns out though.

StAidan

Actually looking at this image makes me think that squad battles will have an affect on ranking. That essentially means the previous rankings are not as meaningful anymore.

People seem to think that having preset squads will mean less brutal ranked battles... I'm not so sure that is true. :P It'll be interesting to see how it turns out though.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yeah I hadn't seen these images. Did they go up on the tumblr? That's blocked for me at work.

It'll be cool to play premades, but yeah, if you're playing against other premade teams then I can only imagine ranked battles becoming even more hardcore, lol.

I've never really noticed it before, but the SquidForce brand icon (or at least variants of it) shows up more often than the other brand icons. The un-inkable balloon buffers have a SquidForce icon on them, and the Regular Battle icons also use a variant of the SquidForce brand.

I've never really noticed it before, but the SquidForce brand icon (or at least variants of it) shows up more often than the other brand icons. The un-inkable balloon buffers have a SquidForce icon on them, and the Regular Battle icons also use a variant of the SquidForce brand.

It's the Nike of the Splatoon world.

WALKMAN04

mD21k3D.jpg

People seem to think that having preset squads will mean less brutal ranked battles... I'm not so sure that is true. :p It'll be interesting to see how it turns out though.
I originally thought squad matches wouldn't affect rank or be something separate, but it doesn't look like it to me based on the image. I wonder if that is true, how it will play out, because it might be possible to put a low rank player that's good on your team, to get extra points and lose less points. It's not that hard to make an alt account and get to level 10 then help your buddies rank up easier, I hope they have something to avoid this, also I can't wait for the people who blame their teammates for their low rank, squad up with friends and they still lose lol. Also ranked matches will be more brutal with actual teams and set strategies, regardless of voice chat, which you can just use an outside party chat.

Totakeke

Ah, yeah I hadn't seen these images. Did they go up on the tumblr? That's blocked for me at work.

It'll be cool to play premades, but yeah, if you're playing against other premade teams then I can only imagine ranked battles becoming even more hardcore, lol.

Most of them were on the Nintendo UK article, but someone with media access got the squad battle image from their servers I think. They put the images on an imgur album here.

http://imgur.com/a/XoNTx

Gsnap

Squad battles and private matches aren't the same so I'll bet squads does let you rank up. Private matches looks like it lets you pick whatever you want, whereas squad mode still has some set rules. Looks like you can't choose maps or modes in squads either

Totakeke

Squad battles and private matches aren't the same so I'll bet squads does let you rank up. Private matches looks like it lets you pick whatever you want, whereas squad mode still has some set rules. Looks like you can't choose maps or modes in squads either

Based on that image, squad battles is just ranked battle with preset teams. Interesting that they let you do 3v3 though.

Actually it looks like if you choose 3 you might end up in a 3v4 situation.

I think it lets you join with 2 other people in squads, versus another team of 3 people. With the other 2 spots remaining to randoms. Same for the 2v2 option. And in the event in a 4 player squad has one that leaves or disconnects, the matchmaking switches to 3v3 searches.

Totakeke

Actually it looks like if you choose 3 you might end up in a 3v4 situation.

If they let you do that for ranked battles it would be silly imo. It does say battle against 3-squid squads.

YlNeKVq.jpg

I think it lets you join with 2 other people in squads, versus another team of 3 people. With the other 2 spots remaining to randoms. Same for the 2v2 option. And in the event in a 4 player squad has one that leaves or disconnects, the matchmaking switches to 3v3 searches.

Based on that image, 2v2 isn't an option in squad battles. It'll just put you in another team along with another twosquidsquad.

Gsnap

If they let you do that for ranked battles it would be silly imo. It does say battle against 3-squid squads.

YlNeKVq.jpg

Ah I see it now. When I saw the picture I was on my phone. The picture was smaller and it didn't look like the 3-squid option was connected to the 4 squid option. It looked separate. And it looks like the sentence "Battle against other three player or four player squads" looked like it was only connected to the 4 player option, which implied something else to me.

Now that I see it better though, clearly when you choose 4 you're matched up with 4 and choosing 3 matches you up with 3.

Top Bottom