• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Crisium

So Private Battle require LAN? Private Matches are also the only way to do custom Turf War? Therefore GAF will not be able to do custom Turf War, and we will have to continue to join friends as normal and deal with random pubs and auto maps?

Crayolan

Just played a match of Turf War where six of the eight players were just morphing into squids and not attempting to win. Like...they'd meet in the middle of Moray Towers, and then just rapidly smash the left trigger on their gamepad.

Suffice it to say, my team won with 36% of the map covered against their 25%. Never experienced something like that ever.

You should've joined them.

I got a server to do that once after a few rounds of running around doing nothing but spamming booyah, it was pretty funny
until I started getting matched with level 1s.

So Private Battle require LAN? Private Matches are also the only way to do custom Turf War? Therefore GAF will not be able to do custom Turf War, and we will have to continue to join friends as normal and deal with random pubs and auto maps?

Pretty sure private matches can do LAN, but it is not required.

Geg

I would've joined them lol.

Yesterday I had friend in a gaf room and Red was pretty much spawn camping the enemy team of low level Japanese kids so he and I just squidkidded around the middle of walleye warehouse for the last minute of the game. It's fun to just goof around in this game and not have to worry about winning intense gaf matches every once in a while.

they might have been friends trying to capture some footage for something

It was so bizarre. I jumped from the top of one of the lanes onto the middle platform and activated my Kraken and killed the three members of the enemy team who were "squidding" for lack of a better term. After that I just thought "Uh...not sure if I should be playing seriously right now". So, I just went around placing squid beakons and inking enough turf to make sure my team wouldn't lose.

8Olxf3h.jpg
I did it. Update hyyype! I'm ready. And yes, Tower Control confirmed once again as best mode.

I think I ran into just now, can't remember if it was ranked or turf, but I remember your name. I omly stayed for 1 game as I had to change clothes.

heh the same happened to me as I was about to roll "the perfect" build. My problem is that the combination of the 6 abilities I want can only found on one set of gear(when talking brands that favor my abilities), so i'm kinda forced to reroll a comeback with 3 quick jump subs :(

always fun to play with you Jeff. We almost climbed to the top of moray. Also that suction bomb when I was trying to front you from the box XD

lol yeah we were just screwing around that match, too bad the other 2 couldn't kill the rollers xP

Robotguy

I played a match the other day where one of the enemies was squidkidding around and a guy on my team was squidkid chasing him. Pretty funny.

Can someone explain to me how Tower Control on Triggerfish works, I haven't played it yet?

Edit: I seem to go into passive grief mode in ranked if there's a team mate with a Luna Blaster.

Ninja Dom

Go to the sewer to the right of the cat.

Look for the sleeping cat in the plaza. To the right, is some old guy peeking out of the sewers. Swim into it to get to single player mode.

When facing Judd the cat, look to the right and check the sewer enttrance.

Find the old guy in the man hole, to the right of the cat in the plaza. Also, there are icons for everything in the plaza on the gamepad screen that you can click on instead of actually walking around everywhere. I think the single player one says "Octovalley".

Thanks everyone.

It's a pretty boring single player element isn't it?

DaBoss

Room's getting laggy. Just saw Master A1 go at super speed lol.

And then Doc Alba's bullets are coming out erratically lol.

Robotguy

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't very impressed with it at first, but I thought it got better as I progressed. I tended to try to rush through the stages as quickly as possible, which I think helped make it more interesting.
Everyone seems to agree that the final boss is great.
Pls explain how my Jet Squelcher was outranged by a Kraken
Sounds like you were playing Violet. lol

StAidan

Damn, I really suck with the Jet squelcher

Yeah, I love both the Jet Squelcher and the Dual Squelcher in concept, and I do pretty great with them in randoms, but really my aim sucks too much to use either of them against truly good players (splatgaf). It's painful because they are fun to use, at least to me.

Azure J

OK, so I've pretty much been dead tired and had a long grocery trip to deal with just now and I'm checking GAF for the first time all day and holy shit this Splatoon update is looking Mario Kart 8 update tier. I am so happy that Squad Battles are happening during my summer break and cannot wait for both GAF vs. GAF (Team Colors, RedFyn, Azure J, BlueSilver and Violet_0 let's go) and GAF vs. The World.

Also, new gear? :O

Please let there be a bitchin' Tentatek fitted cap or beanie and for the love of God get that Famitsu Orange Mage look:

9RhNHbd.png

In the rotations ASAP.

Ahnez

TC in Walleye

Board the tower when your team is almost winning -> Activate Kraken -> keep jumping in place without falling from the tower -> watch randoms give up

Worked 3 times in a row in the same room lol

Totakeke

So... you're supposed to lose less points if the other team has higher rank than your team, right?

The effect is less pronounced in lower ranks vs. the higher ranks. But yeah it's not a simple calculation where a single person in the other team having just one rank higher would change the scores.

All the times I hit someone with the charger, they were jumping. #stopjumpingconstantly

Edit: Also another friendly reminder to paint the base

So... you're supposed to lose less points if the other team has higher rank than your team, right?

Depends on how much higher they were than your team but generally yeah.

The effect is less pronounced in lower ranks vs. the higher ranks. But yeah it's not a simple calculation where a single person in the other team having just one rank higher would change the scores.
edit: Unless they're an A+ then expect a -12 if you got them on your team and lose.

I know it's partially random, it's just I just had a match where it was 2 A-s, a B+ or B, and a B-, versus 3 B-s and a B, we lost only by a last second push during overtime, and we lost a full 10.

Azure J

All the times I hit someone with the charger, they were jumping. #stopjumpingconstantly

Edit: Also another friendly reminder to paint the base

Isn't it just the most satisfying thing in the world seeing someone jump only to be met either at the apex, in mid air or on landing with that glorious "pop" sound effect and hit spark when you nail them with a full charge shot?

Call me a lover of some cod fish, but Port Mackerel is reminding me of some other map, in some other shooter, that's shipping port based in the name, has lots of cargo boxes everywhere, cramped as some not so fresh style, and a pure crap shoot when it comes to winning on the horrible map in any mode.

Geg

Yeah, I love both the Jet Squelcher and the Dual Squelcher in concept, and I do pretty great with them in randoms, but really my aim sucks too much to use either of them against truly good players (splatgaf). It's painful because they are fun to use, at least to me.

Yeah the dual squelcher is (obviously) the weapon I just feel the most comfortable using. Usually I can get a decent amount of kills even in gaf games, but there are still some types of players, mainly rollers and brushes who move around a lot, that I have trouble hitting.

Yeah the dual squelcher is (obviously) the weapon I just feel the most comfortable using. Usually I can get a decent amount of kills even in gaf games, but there are still some types of players, mainly rollers and brushes who move around a lot, that I have trouble hitting.
The ds is my go to long range weapon now.

Isn't it just the most satisfying thing in the world seeing someone jump only to be met either at the apex, in mid air or on landing with that glorious "pop" sound effect and hit spark when you nail them with a full charge shot?

Yup. Just hanging there like a piece of meat(squid), waiting patiently before you snatch it away. It's a good feeling

Thanks everyone.

I wasn't really a huge fan of it, but the boss battles were a bunch of fun. Some of the regular stages were okay too, like the Octoling stages, the stealth stages right afterwards, and whatever stages had those giant robots.

This might be my problem, too. I can never seem to hit anything with the squelchers. I think my problem is either I overcompensate with my aim too much trying to hit people, or I'm trying to get too close rather than stay at a safe distance, or both. But then when I stay at a safe distance, I can't aim well and then I get picked off by an Inkzooka or a charger.

Top Bottom