• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Totakeke

I know it's partially random, it's just I just had a match where it was 2 A-s, a B+ or B, and a B-, versus 3 B-s and a B, we lost only by a last second push during overtime, and we lost a full 10.

That sucks. If I had to guess, it may be the B-s that making the rank differential less of a factor.

DaBoss

So... you're supposed to lose less points if the other team has higher rank than your team, right?
It's consistent with the specific rank combinations.

A+/B+/B+/B+ vs B+/B+/B+/B+

This will always give +8/-12 and -8/+12.

A+/A+/B+/B+ vs B+/B+/B+/B+

This will always gives the same points as the above combination.

A+/A+/A+/B+ vs B+/B+/B+/B+

This will always give +6/-14 and -6/+14.

That was my first real session on the towers. Also my first time using the .96 Gal.

Love the .96 gal Deco, hate the towers. Towers + 3K E-Liter Scope = Fuck life. I often have to worry about that longass range *and* all these closerange weapons at the same fucking time. Not to mention all those spots where somebody can just pop out of nowhere and own you. That doesn't help. At all.

This is more like "I suck at this map so I hate it" lol, I have no real idea how to play it
So Private Battle require LAN? Private Matches are also the only way to do custom Turf War? Therefore GAF will not be able to do custom Turf War, and we will have to continue to join friends as normal and deal with random pubs and auto maps?
No no no, you misunderstand. Private matches are primarily online, but it's possible that if the game detects that everybody's on the same (W)LAN it will use that for the actual gameplay instead of going over the internet for no real reason whatsoever. We'll see I guess.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
What are the best abilities for a Tentatek? I know that the Red Hi-Tops with Ink Resistance and Swim Speed subs is a common choice. What about for the hat and shirt? I have a shirt with Defense main and three Special Duration subs, but I don't know if its worth it really...

phanphare

Banned
What are the best abilities for a Tentatek? I know that the Red Hi-Tops with Ink Resistance and Swim Speed subs is a common choice. What about for the hat and shirt? I have a shirt with Defense main and three Special Duration subs, but I don't know if its worth it really...

depends on how you play it. are you ass with the inkzooka like I am? then forgo the special stuff and maybe go for a sub weapon ink saver. I noticed the suction bombs use a fair amount of ink.

if you're not ass with the inkzooka then yeah maybe go for some special stuff too ;p

Geg

That was my first real session on the towers. Also my first time using the .96 Gal.

Love the .96 gal Deco, hate the towers. Towers + 3K E-Liter Scope = Fuck life. I often have to worry about that longass range *and* all these closerange weapons at the same fucking time. Not to mention all those spots where somebody can just pop out of nowhere and own you. That doesn't help. At all.

This is more like "I suck at this map so I hate it" lol, I have no real idea how to play it

Yeah don't worry I used to think the same but it's totally possible to win on the towers even when the opponent has multiple chargers. You just need to hope at least one of them is bad or makes a lot of mistakes lol

StAidan

This might be my problem, too. I can never seem to hit anything with the squelchers. I think my problem is either I overcompensate with my aim too much trying to hit people, or I'm trying to get too close rather than stay at a safe distance, or both. But then when I stay at a safe distance, I can't aim well and then I get picked off by an Inkzooka or a charger.

I have struggled with aiming in pretty much all shooters I've played, it's just not a strong point with me (even with the extra help of motion control). That's part of the reason I mostly play mid-range guns (Tentatek Splattershot, .52 Gal) or lately the Octobrush. I've never even tried a charger, although I want to someday (I would just feel bad about contributing a loss to my team, lol).

Azure J

So who's playing? I'm going on stream and I'm thinking of doing more ranked in preparation for S tier but I'd like to avoid going in cold. :lol

oOWQbEJ.jpg

I use this sometimes and other times change the hat to a special charge up
I also have a build with a special charge up hat and cold blooded vest
y1OuiE0.jpg

One of my very early builds lol

Naar

in the past 72 hours i went to A- then to B+ then B - (and almost B) then back to A-

this game x.x

I dont have any idea how people got to a high rank with their lack of common sense and just seeing stuff like no one getting on the tower to move it, etc

Xeteh

Man, I hope that I feel in to Splatoon again once the patch hits. Lately I play like 1-2 games every few days and I'm done. I miss playing it until I do right now.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
depends on how you play it. are you ass with the inkzooka like I am? then forgo the special stuff and maybe go for a sub weapon ink saver. I noticed the suction bombs use a fair amount of ink.

if you're not ass with the inkzooka then yeah maybe go for some special stuff too ;p

I am ass with the inkzooka lol, but I'd like to get better! Yeah, sub weapon ink saver is a good call. Maybe as sub abilities. So a Firefin shirt or hat....

oOWQbEJ.jpg

I use this sometimes and other times change the hat to a special charge up
I also have a build with a special charge up hat and cold blooded vest
y1OuiE0.jpg

One of my very early builds lol

I thought about using Ninja Squid but am worried about the swim speed nerf. Do you find the defense up useful?

Also, another question. When I use the Tentatek, I'm always getting splatted by blasters, especially in Tower Control where blasters are very common. They outrange me, so when I can't hide or flank them or get behind them, are my only options to throw suction bombs (this doesn't work usually, they just back away temporarily) or use the Inkzooka if I have it? Or is there some trick to approaching them head-on? I kind of wish the Tentatek had burst or splat bombs instead.

For me, the Splattershot and the Suction Bomb are solid enough on their own such that I don't need perks for those. Therefore I like stacking as much Special Charge Up as I can to get Inkzooka asap.

Fighting distant Chargers and Dynamo Rollers becomes much less risky when I can pull out an Inkzooka almost anytime. And if I can charge up my Inkzooka much faster, then I'm less worried about pulling Inkzooka out at the "right time" and I don't mind pulling it out when I only see 1 target.

I am ass with the inkzooka lol, but I'd like to get better! Yeah, sub weapon ink saver is a good call. Maybe as sub abilities. So a Firefin shirt or hat....

I thought about using Ninja Squid but am worried about the swim speed nerf. Do you find the defense up useful?

Also, another question. When I use the Tentatek, I'm always getting splatted by blasters, especially in Tower Control where blasters are very common. They outrange me, so when I can't hide or flank them or get behind them, are my only options to throw suction bombs (this doesn't work usually, they just back away temporarily) or use the Inkzooka if I have it? Or is there some trick to approaching them head-on?
I don't have good answers for Tower Control, but if you're fighting against Blasters you want the ink around them to be in your color for easier flanking. If the area is too narrow for you to do that, then yeah I guess you'll need to use Suction Bombs to keep them away, or stick Suction Bombs on the tower to put pressure on the Blasters.

You could always just go ink somewhere else; the Tentatek Splattershot inks up territory much better than Blasters do. This might not be the main objective for Tower Control or Splat Zones, but if you need that Inkzooka then you can probably get your special faster than Blasters can.

ryechu

I really hate ink saver sub. I find that with three subs I get somewhere around 15% of the sub weapon cost saved. I've never gotten close to the 75% cap the guide says it is. Plus that wouldn't make sense give that 20% would allow you to throw five burst bombs which is impossible even when fully stacked. If the plan is to spam grenades without shooting, ink recovery is better. If it's to use a 70ish% sub and still be able to shoot, I find ink saver mains to be pretty much accomplish the same thing. I get the same number of shots after using a splat bomb using ink saver main when compared to using ink saver sub. It only saves you when you are playing at partial ink capacity and you used a sub earlier than you should've and now you are stuck with 0 ink. With ink saver you never have 0 ink after using a sub since it costs the same to activate but it refunds you after you use the sub. It feels useful in play but in actuality isn't any more efficient if you manage your ink.

Also, another question. When I use the Tentatek, I'm always getting splatted by blasters, especially in Tower Control where blasters are very common. They outrange me, so when I can't hide or flank them or get behind them, are my only options to throw suction bombs (this doesn't work usually, they just back away temporarily) or use the Inkzooka if I have it? Or is there some trick to approaching them head-on? I kind of wish the Tentatek had burst or splat bombs instead.
I read defense up helps with blasters but I don't know if it did to be honest. When dealing with blasters I try to ambush them or time their jumps when shooting.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
For me, the Splattershot and the Suction Bomb are solid enough on their own such that I don't need perks for those. Therefore I like stacking as much Special Charge Up as I can to get Inkzooka asap.

Fighting distant Chargers and Dynamo Rollers becomes much less risky when I can pull out an Inkzooka almost anytime. And if I can charge up my Inkzooka much faster, then I'm less worried about pulling Inkzooka out at the "right time" and I don't mind pulling it out when I only see 1 target.

I don't have good answers for Tower Control, but if you're fighting against Blasters you want the ink around them to be in your color for easier flanking. If the area is too narrow for you to do that, then yeah I guess you'll need to use Suction Bombs to keep them away, or stick Suction Bombs on the tower to put pressure on the Blasters.

You could always just go ink somewhere else; the Tentatek Splattershot inks up territory much better than Blasters do. This might not be the main objective for Tower Control or Splat Zones, but if you need that Inkzooka then you can probably get your special faster than Blasters can.

I read defense up helps with blasters but I don't know if it did to be honest. When dealing with blasters I try to ambush them or time their jumps when shooting.

Thanks! I guess Special Charge up and maybe Defense are the way to go. Possible strategies against blasters are charging my special and try timing their jumps. I really need to get better at using the Inkzooka. I almost always get killed when I use it for some reason. Timing when to trigger it and how to move when using it are what I need to work on I guess.

taparoo

I mostly play krak-on roller cause i'm noobish, but I really have come to love quick respawn, special charge up, and ink saver main. You could argue if I played correctly, then quick respawn would be worthless, but I play aggressively, especially in ranked, so it gets a lot of use. Then the other two are basically working all the time, so if I'm not dying for some reason, at least my other two abilities get a lot of use.

phanphare

Banned
I keep seeing people say new music is coming in the August update but I haven't seen it confirmed yet.....

it's not confirmed but there was new music for the japanese trailer detailing a lot of new things and also the developers made some comment about perhaps another band entering the spotlight in the splatooniverse. so that kind of seems like a weird squid research lab way of confirming new music.

Speaking of point losses in ranked... why is there no reduced penalty if a teammate quits or disconnects, especially in the first 30 seconds?

Kamek

Just finished Splatoon's campaign mode. I have to say, the final boss was fucking amazing. This was the most Nintendo-y I've felt from a game in years. I loved the credits too. I fucking love this game so much. It's the best feeling I've had from a Nintendo game in years. SM3DW didn't give me this feeling. The last time I had this was Xenoblade. Absolutely great game. Got a bit choked up seeing Iwata-san's name at the end.

If this game just had voice chat, it would be absolute perfection.

Jintor

wow i need a break after that fucking mauling in A ranked. two octobrush players were just wrecking my shit and my team composition was fucking rubbish everytime

Top Bottom