• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Violet_0

Banned
Especially Kelp Dome, right?

in Turf Wars enemies have limited ways to approach the center and a charger can completely shut down one half of the map while simultaneously keeping an eye on the other side (though it's still possible to break through there without a special). I first got to max rank with a charger on a Kelp Dome/Moray rotation so I'd say they do pretty well there as well

there really isn't a map chargers aren't good on, I just sort of suck on Warehouse

Crayolan

Tonight I will learn how to properly use beakons.... maybe.

Proper beakon use:
-Place one on your spawn, but not right at the start of the match, wait until your teammates leave the spawn so they get a surprise when they respawn.
-Spend the rest of the match trying to put one on the enemy spawn, then jump back and forth between either beakon until the time runs out

Laggy seekers now -_-
Proper beakon use:
-Place one on your spawn, but not right at the start of the match, wait until your teammates leave the spawn so they get a surprise when they respawn.
-Spend the rest of the match trying to put one on the enemy spawn, then jump back and forth between either beakon until the time runs out

Perfect!

Robotguy

Someone (burnburn I think) volunteered to set up a gaf tournament up the other day. I don't think we need to worry about that now though.

We do need to find out everyone's timezone and when they can play. The tourney is too early but I think it'll be fun.
Yeah, I'm not worried about getting everything figured out before the tourney, just hoping we can have some fun with it.

Jintor

wow i don't fucking believe this game sometimes, pinged a sniper 3 times with indirect luna hits and he shrugged it off somehow without any defence ups

Gsnap

Yeah, I'm not worried about getting everything figured out before the tourney, just hoping we can have some fun with it.

Yeah. My main thing is time. I have every saturday and sunday off. But we need to set time in advance. If it's just "Hey, tourney this weekend!" last minute stuff then I probably won't be able to do it.

Zing

Banned
This is totally selfish, but I wish thst Japanese players had names that I could read.

Playing a ranked match... Why are they suddenly doing so well? Look down at map and see we have one less player. "Oh"

Crayolan

This is totally selfish, but I wish thst Japanese players had names that I could read.

Playing a ranked match... Why are they suddenly doing so well? Look down at map and see we have one less player. "Oh"

Hiragana+Chart.gif

Geg

No joke I started being able to recognize and read katakana really well within like a year of watching anime as a young teen.

I mean uh serious Japanese lessons

Africanus

Tonight I will learn how to properly use beakons.... maybe.

The key tips for beakon usage (As a krak-on roller)

- If one can swim faster to a beakon than jump to it, in most cases do not place a beakon.

- Place beakons in sheltered areas. Behind objects, in a corner between to walls, under an object. If a beakon is out in the open, all you've done is waste ink you could have painted on the ground.

- Be creative! Think of places an enemy won't easily reach but also allows you easy access into their area.

I use my three beakons like this. One for my turf, the 2nd for the mid-point of the battleground, and the third deep in enemy territory.

I commonly act as the decoy on my team, attracting one or two foolish enemies in my direction as the rest of my team presses on. Set a beakon somewhere in a vast sea of enemy ink, jump there, and act as obvious as possible while activating the Kraken if I get surrounded.

Effective beakon usage can turn around a game! More than anything NEVER place a beakon on the spawn point.

Robotguy

Are you going to be the leader and organize everyone?
I guess I will unless someone else wants to do it, but I kinda prefer not to do avoid leadership stuff when possible.

Yeah. My main thing is time. I have every saturday and sunday off. But we need to set time in advance. If it's just "Hey, tourney this weekend!" last minute stuff then I probably won't be able to do it.
The squidboards tourney starts August 7th at 5:00 EST. Each round lasts for 48 hours, teams have to schedule their playtimes during each 48 hour window based on their availability. I'm assuming that each round starts immediately after the preceding round, which means most of the matches would fall during the week sometime. But since the squidboards rules support squads of more than 4 squids and player rotation between rounds you could possibly play just during the weekends and switch with someone during the week.

No idea what the schedule for any future gaf tournaments will look like.

Gsnap

I guess I will unless someone else wants to do it, but I kinda prefer not to do avoid leadership stuff when possible.

The squidboards tourney starts August 7th at 5:00 EST. Each round lasts for 48 hours, teams have to schedule their playtimes during each 48 hour window based on their availability. I'm assuming that each round starts immediately after the preceding round, which means most of the matches would fall during the week sometime. But since the squidboards rules support squads of more than 4 squids and player rotation between rounds you could possibly play just during the weekends and switch with someone during the week.

No idea what the schedule for any future gaf tournaments will look like.

Interesting. I guess it makes sense to break things up like that.

Robotguy

No joke I started being able to recognize and read katakana really well within like a year of watching anime as a young teen.

I mean uh serious Japanese lessons
The only reason I remember any Japanese from my actual Japanese classes is because I watch a shitton of anime. I forgot most of my katakana/hiragana because screw trying to read stuff that's on screen for like 2 seconds when I already have to read subs.

Oh yeah we totally need an echolocator for the team, just to avoid roller shenanigans which can easily break a team apart. Robotguy probably has that covered though.

I'm in one.
Yeah, we're going to want to think some about what specials we want to have on the field. Pretty good chance I play Dual Squelcher for echolocation. Though I might want to switch based on level. Though it's looking like we'll probably have more than one gaf squad so we'll probably need someone with echolocator for the other squad(s). But it's probably not too hard to find someone willing to play DS/.96/N-zap/E-liter.

Totakeke

I actually don't have you added. D: my NNID is the same as my username when you get the chance.

Added you.

The only reason I remember any Japanese from my actual Japanese classes is because I watch a shitton of anime. I forgot most of my katakana/hiragana because screw trying to read stuff that's on screen for like 2 seconds when I already have to read subs.

Yeah, we're going to want to think some about what specials we want to have on the field. Pretty good chance I play Dual Squelcher for echolocation. Though I might want to switch based on level. Though it's looking like we'll probably have more than one gaf squad so we'll probably need someone with echolocator for the other squad(s). But it's probably not too hard to find someone willing to play DS/.96/N-zap/E-liter.

Hmm, I can go Tentatek Splattershot/Dual Squelcher/Splatterscope/E-Liter/Dynamo Roller/Rapid Blaster. My charger isn't as consistent and the last two I need more practice. Three of those have echolocator.

Geg

I'll never understand rollers who turn to run in the opposite direction when you confront them rather than at least swim away in their own ink

I played a game with phanphare just now and most of my 9 kills were on rollers like that

J@hranimo

Banned
For Splatoon 2:

...they better not pull this "lol no party matchmaking until later!" crap again. All it takes is one incompetent player to screw us all over.

I knew I couldn't trust a .96 Gal player named "More LAG"

/salt

Jims

Good games, GAF. If anyone needs a long-ranger (Squelchers, Splattershot Pros, .96 Gal) for a squad down the line, hit me up.

I think I'm just going to specialize in the long-ranged weapons, since I enjoy the zoning game more than the close-up agility-based stuff. That's why I play Yoshi in Smash and not Diddy Kong. :p

(Although I hate defensive characters like Rosalina, so go figure.)

After playing Custom Jet Squelcher against GAF for the first time, I'm not sure how I feel about it. When the room has no snipers (like the recent GAF room), it becomes the ultimate camping and zoning tool. But at the same time, I feel really defenseless when someone gets in close. It's one of the slowest killing weapons in the game. When there actually is a sniper, I don't feel like it's fast enough to take them out efficiently.

Keeping a Kraken for the very end seems to be the key in close matches. We actually lost that one Moray match because SM239 and someone else (splatacus?) rushed me down in the last 20 seconds and took over our ramps. If I hadn't used the Kraken a little earlier, I could've stopped 'em. Oh well, live and learn.

lol Jim, did you actually run after me to use your Kraken

Haha, yeah. I thought we were losing so I was going for the SPITE SPLAT at the end. :p

ryechu

wow i don't fucking believe this game sometimes, pinged a sniper 3 times with indirect luna hits and he shrugged it off somehow without any defence ups

If your shots hut a surface before popping it releases a blast that does 25 dmg. If your opponent wasn't visibly lagging it was you missing

Jintor

If your shots hut a surface before popping it releases a blast that does 25 dmg. If your opponent wasn't visibly lagging it was you missing

that's what i get for relying on indirect blasts so much

here's a hot secret gaf: i can't aim for shit

Top Bottom