• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Geg

Can't believe we won that one

I also can't believe I couldn't kill totakeke even when he failed to hit me twice

Crisium

Our opponents are going to ban skatepark so fast

There was some discussion of a GAf tourney, but so far no one has stepped up to try to get one actually organized. It would probably be best to wait until a while after the update to organize one anyways. The squidboards tourney is too soon IMO.

So far users who have expressed interest are myself, RedFyn, Blak_Status, Totakeke, Timeasisis, Azure J, Gsnap, and J@hranimo. So it looks like we'll probably end up with at least 2 squads. Think I'll probably create a google spreadsheet or something for people to sign up on/ indicate their preferred weapons/ whatever else might be relevant soon. Should be useful for trying to form well rounded teams I suppose.

I posted yesterday I am down for Gaf tourney. Still am. :D

Gsnap

tournament question. Doesn't need a real answer. It's just something to consider in these early days.

Basically... How do you guys think things should be handled as far as modes and maps? Should we incorporate multiple modes? Multiple rounds per mode? Should maps be counter pick? What maps would be considered neutral? Should people be able to back out and change weapons depending on the counter picks?

Obviously we might not be able to answer these questions right now, but I think it'll still be fun to brainstorm.

Totakeke

tournament question. Doesn't need a real answer. It's just something to consider in these early days.

Basically... How do you guys think things should be handled as far as modes and maps? Should we incorporate multiple modes? Multiple rounds per mode? Should maps be counter pick? What maps would be considered neutral? Should people be able to back out and change weapons depending on the counter picks?

Obviously we might not be able to answer these questions right now, but I think it'll still be fun to brainstorm.

Just to be clear, robotguy is getting people for the squidboards tournament which already has rules.

http://squidboards.com/threads/ink-or-sink-tournament.3564/

Totakeke

Yeah.

But I figured gaf would hold a few tournaments of its own eventually and was wondering what people thought.

Personally I think it'll depend a lot of whether people can find setups to really cheese the modes. Like multiple inkstrikes on turf wars may make turf wars not so interesting. Otherwise I think all modes are viable at the moment.

Gsnap

Just to be clear, I'm seeing who would be interested in joining gaf squads for the squidboards tourney Totakeke just posted. Are you interested in that, or just future GAF tourneys?

I am interested in being a part of the squidboards tournament. I'll have my work schedule soon enough to be able to give you my available dates and times.

But all I was doing was wondering what people's opinions were on how a tournament should be handled. Just brainstorming. For fun and for the future.

For instance, it doesn't look like squidboards put a lot of thought into the maps. It's just divided by the maps we had from the beginning and the maps we got later. Which is fine for these early days, but probably won't end up being the best solution over time.

Totakeke

I am interested in being a part of the squidboards tournament. I'll have my work schedule soon enough to be able to give you my available dates and times.

But all I was doing was wondering what people's opinions were on how a tournament should be handled. Just brainstorming. For fun and for the future.

For instance, it doesn't look like squidboards put a lot of thought into the maps. It's just divided by the maps we had from the beginning and the maps we got later. Which is fine for these early days, but probably won't end up being the best solution over time.

I think all maps should be played and viable, the bigger question to me is how to handle weapon and gear loadouts which can be ripe for counterpicking. Locking in the winning team into their previous game's weapons doesn't quite work either. I don't know how other multiplayer shooters handle tournaments but should at least start looking there.

Robotguy

Yeah, I know you're interested, was asking Crisium.

I'm not a huge fan of how squidboards is handling maps, and especially not how they're handling game modes. Game modes rotate each round, which means you only play each opponent in one mode. I think if we're going to switch modes during the tournament you should have to play every opponent on every mode that's included in the tournament. I don't really know what I specifically I would do differently map wise other than eliminate the arbitrary restriction of playing one of the first five maps for the first match. In general I think that the map rules should encourage as much map diversity as possible.

Gsnap

I think all maps should be played and viable, the bigger question to me is how to handle weapon and gear loadouts which can be ripe for counterpicking. Locking in the winning team into their previous game's weapons doesn't quite work either. I don't know how other multiplayer shooters handle tournaments but should at least start looking there.

Yeah, that's a difficult issue. There's way too much variation, and a lot of people won't have their "perfect builds" ready any time soon, while some will.

Yeah, I know you're interested, was asking Crisium.

I'm not a huge fan of how squidboards is handling maps, and especially not how they're handling game modes. Game modes rotate each round, which means you only play each opponent in one mode. I think if we're going to switch modes during the tournament you should have to play every opponent on every mode that's included in the tournament. I don't really know what I specifically I would do differently map wise other than eliminate the arbitrary restriction of playing one of the first five maps for the first match. In general I think that the map rules should encourage as much map diversity as possible.

You only play one team in one mode? That's weird. The way I read it it sounded like you played each team in each mode.

And yeah, for now I think all maps should be available with losers being able to counterpick whichever map they want, possibly allowing winners to ban a few picks. I think squidboards has half the right idea, but cutting the maps in half just doesn't make sense right now since the game hasn't been played long enough to declare certain maps unfair or bannable or whatever. As it stands all maps are on even ground.

Geg

Ugh I'm watching splaticus's vod of my matches and god my aim with the killer wail was awful in some cases. I'm aiming downward without realizing it

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Just to be clear, I'm seeing who would be interested in joining gaf squads for the squidboards tourney Totakeke just posted. Are you interested in that, or just future GAF tourneys?

Has Gaf actually formed some teams yet? I'm not particularly fond of their rule set, but I wanna see who's interested in joining so far out of the people here haha

Robotguy

Yeah, that's a difficult issue. There's way too much variation, and a lot of people won't have their "perfect builds" ready any time soon, while some will.

You only play one team in one mode? That's weird. The way I read it it sounded like you played each team in each mode.
Well, that's how I read it at least:
Each set in rounds prior to Finals will be played as best of five. Each round of the tournament will feature a different mode in this order: Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control
Except in Finals, where you can play anything in any order depending on how the teams pick.

Has Gaf actually formed some teams yet? I'm not particularly fond of their rule set, but I wanna see who's interested in joining so far out of the people here haha
We don't have teams yet, but people who I've seen express interest so far are me, RedFyn, Black_Status, Totakeke, Timeasisis, Azure J, Gsnap, J@ranimo, PreyingShark, Jims, Crisium, and atr0cious.

Africanus

Well, that's how I read it at least:

Except in Finals, where you can play anything in any order depending on how the teams pick.

We don't have teams yet, but people who I've seen interest so far are me, RedFyn, Black_Status, Totakeke, Timeasisis, Azure J, Gsnap, J@ranimo, PreyingShark, Jims, Crisium, and atr0cious.

I will remember this affront to my skill Robotguy.

Totakeke

Also again to be clear on the Squidboards tournament, each round is a best of five and the two teams have 48 hours from the start time of the tournament (August 7th 6 AM(?) EST) to finish a round so no one needs to take Friday off to play. Based on that the tournament may play throughout the whole week or more since each round could potentially take 2 days to finish. Format is double elimination playoffs similar to the FGC tournament structure.

No clue how the game mode rotation will work since doesn't the losers and winner brackets are technically in different number of rounds? I think they'll figure out things eventually.

Good games, GAF. If anyone needs a long-ranger (Squelchers, Splattershot Pros, .96 Gal) for a squad down the line, hit me up.

I think I'm just going to specialize in the long-ranged weapons, since I enjoy the zoning game more than the close-up agility-based stuff. That's why I play Yoshi in Smash and not Diddy Kong. :p

(Although I hate defensive characters like Rosalina, so go figure.)

After playing Custom Jet Squelcher against GAF for the first time, I'm not sure how I feel about it. When the room has no snipers (like the recent GAF room), it becomes the ultimate camping and zoning tool. But at the same time, I feel really defenseless when someone gets in close. It's one of the slowest killing weapons in the game. When there actually is a sniper, I don't feel like it's fast enough to take them out efficiently.

Keeping a Kraken for the very end seems to be the key in close matches. We actually lost that one Moray match because SM239 and someone else (splatacus?) rushed me down in the last 20 seconds and took over our ramps. If I hadn't used the Kraken a little earlier, I could've stopped 'em. Oh well, live and learn.

Haha, yeah. I thought we were losing so I was going for the SPITE SPLAT at the end. :p
You need to start throwing Burst Bombs when enemies are nearby. I need to make that a habit myself, but Burst Bombs will help you a lot with fast kills in close quarters.

I don't think you want to be holding onto Kraken too long. Use it when you feel you are under fire or if you and an enemy manage to get close enough to each other. You definitely want to use the end of the Kraken to get back to safe territory though. Going too deep with the CJS will get you in trouble.

I want to say the CJS, like the 96 Gal Deco, can probably rely more on the main weapon and sub weapon than on the special. However I haven't found a good way to deal with short distances around corners; the only good options are to either spec for 1 shot 1 bomb and have good accuracy, or use the Kraken.

First round:
Standalone RNG picks from the maps that aren't considered to be stupidly biased towards certain weapon types (so not Arowana Mall)

Person who used RNG tells everyone what the map is.

Both teams pick weapons independently.

Second round and beyond:
Loser picks maps (from entire selection)
Winner picks weapons, tells the losers
Losers pick their weapons

Gear would be a nightmare and isn't too important, just keep it at weapons and then you can rip off of Smash Bros IMO

Totakeke

First round:
Standalone RNG picks from the maps that aren't considered to be stupidly biased towards certain weapon types (so not Arowana Mall)

Second round and beyond:

Gear would be a nightmare and isn't too important, just keep it at weapons and then you can rip off of Smash Bros IMO

Hmm sounds good, I think people can just choose whatever gear they wish to keep an element of surprise. Disagree on Arowana Mall though, people should set up their teams to have a good mix to account for all maps at start. :)

Gsnap

First round:

Second round and beyond:

That doesn't sound too bad. It'll take a while before we can decide which maps are banned from neutrals, if any.

HeroR

Trying out the Charger. It's a fun weapon, but it feels more team depended than the others. I can usually handle a bad team, unless they really suck. I usually use an Areospary btw. But with the Charger, I feel completely helpless if my team sucks.

Then again, it may get better the more experience I gain experience.

atr0cious

Great games again to everyone who came by and hung out or played on my stream, while I had a complete mental break trying to play tonight, especially when grabbing a rapid blaster. Fortunately, I didn't end the night on a sour note, finally figuring out the recipe to the OPness and stream rolling the rest of the night. Literally the game after Heng went to bed, I went 11-0 and never looked back. Which was bittersweet, because he forced me to use the damned thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
the august update is next week, right?
That's it, and we need a big post/thread describing the overall contét available after this update. How many maps, weapons, what game modes etc. will there be? What will be part of a future update, compared to what was promised in previous Directs?

Azure J

OK, so it seems as though I had an amazing set of bad timing just now what with family errands, the internet dropping and everything going to hell mid match. I'll call that the end of my stream for tonight and get to highlighting before signing out for bed. It was fun guys.

Top Bottom