• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Gsnap

that's kind of cool. seems like everyone in a room won't have to have everyone else on their friend list. seems like the equivalent of the Mario Kart 8 tournaments where you have to enter a code in.

Yeah this should be a good thing. Lots of people on gaf have full friends lists, but now we can all still play together I guess?

phanphare

Banned
Yeah this should be a good thing. Lots of people on gaf have full friends lists, but now we can all still play together I guess?

yeah that's what it seems like

and yeah I actually had to delete a few people from my friends list yesterday because of Splatoon ;p

never once did I think I'd get anywhere close to the limit because I'm not usually one for online gaming. they got me good with this one lol.

J@hranimo

Banned
Wait...

Kk7FojH.jpg

what? Sounds to me that private matches are actually more like public rooms in other multiplayer games? So we don't need to add anyone to the friend's list? But how does one search through rooms? What.

Ahh the plot thickens! This is good though with our ever growing friends lists to be able to play with many people.

Wait...

Kk7FojH.jpg

what? Sounds to me that private matches are actually more like public rooms in other multiplayer games? So we don't need to add anyone to the friend's list? But how does one search through rooms? What.

MotherOfGod.jpg

Also shoutouts to Azure (of the J variety) joining my room and having his team dominate mine. Gonna stick to chargers in turf wars until I get decent.

I have to say though, switching to charger for a little bit makes me appreciate the gyro controls even more.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wait...

Kk7FojH.jpg

That's great. It means that there is no need to update friends lists and the GAF room(s) can be kept alive for all the timezones.

Naar

just venting here............

how the fuck can i go from winning 15 games in a row in ranked (B/A) then lose 15 in a row then win 15 in a row then lose 15 in a row -.-

I ranked up and de ranked so many times in the last 5 days. I dont get it! I literally went from A- to B- then back up to A and now 1 loss away from B+

its bad enough that i always play with lag and no matter who i join (NA or JP) i will always be about 1 second behind the action :\

Jintor

just venting here............

how the fuck can i go from winning 15 games in a row in ranked (B/A) then lose 15 in a row then win 15 in a row then lose 15 in a row -.-

I ranked up and de ranked so many times in the last 5 days. I dont get it! I literally went from A- to B- then back up to A and now 1 loss away from B+

its bad enough that i always play with lag and no matter who i join (NA or JP) i will always be about 1 second behind the action :\

it just means you've found your equilibrium. i dominate b+ but get rekt in A-

DaBoss

Wow, that killed with two indirect flings.
Wait...

http://i.imgur.com/Kk7FojH.jpg

I wonder how this will work. This would work as a good solution to allow friends of friends join, but also be able to control who can join the room.

Jintor

Thats what i thought at first, but i would dominate the A rank and got up until 90 points (1 win away from getting A+) then the losing streak happened -.-

it just means your equilibrium is that range. I'm probably equilibrium the entirity of A- all the way up and down

Zing

Banned
Thanks for that tip. I turned down the camera sensitivity when I first started, but now I should raise it up a little. Works the same with the sticks. I am just not a fan of motion with having to move around the gamepad >_>
Once you are used to it, you won't even realize that you are moving it. Imagine someone saying, "I am not a fan of having to move the mouse."

I also use maximum sensitivity. It's virtually required if you use a roller or brush.

Naar

it just means your equilibrium is that range. I'm probably equilibrium the entirity of A- all the way up and down

I honestly think its the maps. Some maps i dominate in and others i suck. lets hope the new map rotation in a few minutes gets me good maps :p

Thats what i thought at first, but i would dominate the A rank and got up until 90 points (1 win away from getting A+) then the losing streak happened -.-

I'm a solid B+ player but I've managed to hit A+ once and I am currently paddling in A. My worst losing streak took me from A+ 80 right down to B 0. I felt like taking a shit on a rainbow. Ranked has some bullshit to it:

- Sometimes you and your team just don't sync. Maybe you're not the type of person to hold the tower down in Tower Control for example; you prefer to kill off the enemies that try to claim the tower from the sides. Your teammates could be the exact same way of playing and you'll have the problem of no one wanting to go on the tower.
- Sometimes your enemy team syncs too well. They somehow have a role for each team member and you'll just get murked. May as well put your gamepad down and file your taxes for next year.
- Lag. Comm Error. Unstable Connections. Disconnects.
- It could also not be your day. I've personally found that taking a break does help when you're on a big Brock Lesnar sized losing streak.

Neoxon

Wait...

Kk7FojH.jpg

This could indirectly alleviate the issue of having your friends list be maxed out.

Geg

I honestly think its the maps. Some maps i dominate in and others i suck. lets hope the new map rotation in a few minutes gets me good maps :p

Yeah back when I played ranked more often I would only go on maps I knew I played well on. I still have zero experience on certain maps in some modes

Someone created a mock-up of what the redesigned map may look like.
Yeah that definitely looks like it would have two spatzones on each side instead of one in the middle. Damn, urchin underpass splatzones was one of the ones I was best at too

Zing

Banned
Ranked is a lot of fun for me. I don't concern myself with wins or losses. I treat it the same as turf wars, trying out new gear, filling slots, etc. I am (usually) rank A+, and almost every match is a good game. I have learned a lot of new tactics and skills at the higher ranks and play ranked almost exclusively now. I believe those who shy away from ranked are doing themselves a disservice.

Naar

I'm a solid B+ player but I've managed to hit A+ once and I am currently paddling in A. My worst losing streak took me from A+ 80 right down to B 0. I felt like taking a shit on a rainbow. Ranked has some bullshit to it:

Sometimes you and your team just don't sync. Maybe you're not the type of person to hold the tower down in Tower Control for example; you prefer to kill off the enemies that try to claim the tower from the sides. Your teammates could be the exact same way of playing and you'll have the problem of no one wanting to go on the tower.

I totally agree with this. so many times i play with people that DO NOT want to go anywhere near the tower which causes the tower to stay in its place even if all other 4 team members are currently dead and respawning.

I notice this because many times i manage to kill 4 enemies with 1 bomb (but i end up dieing and when i look at the map my team is just standing near the tower and the tower only moves after i respawn and run back to it -.-)

this can be a huge advantage for the team to move forward and gain points, but nope! They rather run around the tower and wait for the enemy to come claim the tower again

This update cant come soon enough and hope to play with friends and communicate

Geg

Ranked is a lot of fun for me. I don't concern myself with wins or losses. I treat it the same as turf wars, trying out new gear, filling slots, etc. I am (usually) rank A+, and almost every match is a good game. I have learned a lot of new tactics and skills at the higher ranks and play ranked almost exclusively now. I believe those who shy away from ranked are doing themselves a disservice.
Yeah but I think playing with gaf has also helped me with learning new tactics and playing smarter, and unlike ranked matches I don't feel angry or frustrated when I lose. Most of the time.

Jintor

i still think team composition is still a major fucking problem in ranked. that shit's important, but if load battle and see everyone else is also holding rollers, i know we're hosed

Naar

i still think team composition is still a major fucking problem in ranked. that shit's important, but if load battle and see everyone else is also holding rollers, i know we're hosed

I was in moray towers in tower control with 3 rollers vs 3 snipers :x

J@hranimo

Banned
What I just realized is that while we'll be getting Urchin Underpass V.2, the original one may still be in single player despite those small changes.

Gsnap

Looks like two splat zones for the new underpass if that mockup is accurate.

Should be similar to triggerfish, just with more ways to get to the other zone.

Wait...

Kk7FojH.jpg

Hopefully so. I know most people here have full friendlists so it'd be really difficult to actually get into an active GAF room, this would get rid of the problem entirely. It'd also make viewer battles on Twitch and such a lot simpler.

Geg

Does damage up help dual squelchers?

Not really, it's capped at 33.3 damage per hit and already does like 29 or 30 per hit.

It could be helpful against enemies using defense ups, because I think enough defense ups turns the dual squelcher from a 4-hit-kill weapon to a 5-hit-kill weapon

Jintor

Damage up's only purpose is to negate defence up.

However that is kinda important like for Carbon Rollers, where if they survive the first hit you're going to get a faceful of ink

Not really, it's capped at 33.3 damage per hit and already does like 29 or 30 per hit.

It could be helpful against enemies using defense ups, because I think enough defense ups turns the dual squelcher from a 4-hit-kill weapon to a 5-hit-kill weapon

Damage up's only purpose is to negate defence up.

However that is kinda important like for Carbon Rollers, where if they survive the first hit you're going to get a faceful of ink
Thanks!

Zing

Banned
Yeah but I think playing with gaf has also helped me with learning new tactics and playing smarter, and unlike ranked matches I don't feel angry or frustrated when I lose. Most of the time.
That is true for full GAF games. Otherwise, they are much more frustrating than ranked. Ranked is actually relaxing, since everyone knows how to play.

Zing

Banned
I am A+, and yes, you are right. It wasn't until A that I felt this way.

Although, I suspect a large lart of that feeling came from my own confidence and ability to better work as a team as I got experience.

Yeah at A+ mostly everyone knows what they are doing, but you do run into the occasional person that just has no idea what to do.
Me with the Octobrush.

Naar

That is true for full GAF games. Otherwise, they are much more frustrating than ranked. Ranked is actually relaxing, since everyone knows how to play.

I wish i played with the teams you got then! mine feel like they dont know what to do at A rank

WALKMAN04

Seems private rooms don't offer any money as expected, kind of sucks but understandable.

Yeah at A+ mostly everyone knows what they are doing, but you do run into the occasional person that just has no idea what to do.

J@hranimo

Banned
I am A+, and yes, you are right. It wasn't until A that I felt this way.

Although, I suspect a large lart of that feeling came from my own confidence and ability to better work as a team as I got experience.

Ok I thought so.

I wish I had more time to invest in ranked every day :( If I did I'd be A- by now. B+ is such a struggle, but I'll get out eventually.

StAidan

Yeah, I'm gonna want that level 50, not to mention my money, so I guess my time in private rooms will be pretty limited.

Geg

The tweet in Japanese uses the terms for level and rank. Nothing about money, but I'm assuming if you can't level up or raise your rank there's probably no money rewards either

Top Bottom