• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

WALKMAN04

Where did you read that?
In what you posted, I think it was you, it says they don't award points, points are money in this game. That is the way I'm reading it at least.

Edit: I understand this isn't 100%, but it wouldn't make sense to not get experience, but get money.

Totakeke

They do have to set up new points system if ranked modes in private matches gave points off purely on turf inked, as the points will be mostly pretty low. I guess it makes sense that they didn't want to bother implementing a new system.

Well, I'm all for GAF squad battles.

Geg

I do kind of hate how the carbon roller's splash attack is still a one hit kill even though the roll-over isn't. Like for that weapon they nerfed the attack that no skilled player uses and made the one they do even faster

J@hranimo

Banned
I don't get any cash in private matches?! Fuck that. I'll be joining games old school style then (unless it's a tournament or something).

I don't mind this too much. Keeps the focus of winning, especially in the Splatoon Pro Circuit® lol

I guess ranked is gonna be my primary way of getting money now. About 90% of my time is spent with GAF.

But since we'll all be able to form squads to tackle ranked, most of the time should still be with gaf ;)

WALKMAN04

They do have to set up new points system if ranked modes in private matches gave points off purely on turf inked, as the points will be mostly pretty low. I guess it makes sense that they didn't want to bother implementing a new system.

Well, I'm all for GAF squad battles.
Yeah the Gaf squad battles are why I don't really care, I can still get money that way

Crisium

No money for private matches would be stupid. They could just do the C- payout for the ranked modes so good players would never make more money there compared to winning 50% at A or S ranks.

I guess for Turf War there's the risk of 8 friends abusing Kelp Dome as Ink Brushes / Aerosprays and never shooting each other to get more money... but say around a 1000 money cap would be fair (as long as you can see your actual score if over).

Violet_0

Banned
Damage up's only purpose is to negate defence up.

However that is kinda important like for Carbon Rollers, where if they survive the first hit you're going to get a faceful of ink

well rollers have no damage cap so sometimes you will 1-hit someone from a certain distances with Damage Up when you would normally do below 100 damage. Best way to find out if it helps you is to jump around the test area and hit the dummies from various different angles and distances. Anything from 80-99 damage could be a one-hit kill with up to 3 Damage Up mains and 2 subs (+25%)

btw my A+ teams sometimes still force me to go on the tower myself with a damn chargers while everyone is just walking around when I could achieve much more by positioning correctly and hunt down opponents. It's alright when I have the kraken ready but I'd really prefer to not be forced into melee situations with rollers and blasters
So after a few weeks off, its all carbon rollers jumping 1 hit killers.

The fuck is this shit? The range on them is ridiculous.
are we talking about the carbon roller, the roller with the lowest range?

WALKMAN04

well rollers have no damage cap so sometimes you will 1-hit someone from a certain distances with Damage Up when you would normally do below 100 damage. Best way to find out if it helps you is to jump around the test area and hit the dummies from various different angles and distances. Anything from 80-99 damage could be a one-hit kill with up to 3 Damage Up mains and 2 subs (+25%)

btw my A+ teams sometimes still force me to go on the tower myself with a damn chargers while everyone is just walking around when I could achieve much more by positioning correctly and hunt down opponents. It's alright when I have the kraken ready but I'd really prefer to not be forced into melee situations with rollers and blasters
If you used the regular e-liter like a normal person it wouldn't be so bad, plus riding the tower and getting kills as a charger is very satisfying lol

Edit: but you are right there are players, even at A+ who refuse to get on the tower even if they are the only person alive

phanphare

Banned
I guess for Turf War there's the risk of 8 friends abusing Kelp Dome as Ink Brushes / Aerosprays and never shooting each other to get more money... but say around a 1000 money cap would be fair (as long as you can see your actual score if over).

I was kind of looking forward to 1v1'ing someone on Kelp Dome with the understanding that it's for getting as much money as possible

spyke can't keep getting away with it

Timeaisis

I have plenty of money now, I don't care if private doesn't net you it. I just want GAF squad battles.

Speaking of which, squadding up should be fun. I guess come the release we can start playing together and see who fits best together. I do think we should do a small tourney that Saturday to kick things off. It will be light and no one will have much experience playing together yet, but it could be a fun way to get everyone together for squad battles and start learning with team mates.

That being said, I might put something together today or tomorrow for that. If you're interested, let me know. We'd need to make teams beforehand if we're going to do it Saturday, though. So think about who you play with well.

Zing

Banned
I wonder if the developers knew that rollers would transform from the mindless "overpowered" rolling machines into blasters with longer range and spread.

Violet_0

Banned
If you used the regular e-liter like a normal person it wouldn't be so bad, plus riding the tower and getting kills as a charger is very satisfying lol
right right, but I still prefer to snipe them from a certain distance

personally, I find the custom E-Liter loadout better for ranked (or just for me, anyway). I use the normal E-Liter in Turf Wars (because lag kraken still happens, unfortunately) and I really miss those beakons even if they aren't that useful for that mode
Please don't give him any ideas, I like being able to kill him in CQC.
I can't even be mad at you when you bomb rush me time and time again

personally, I find the custom E-Liter loadout better for ranked (or just for me, anyway). I use the normal E-Liter in Turf Wars (because lag kraken still happens, unfortunately) and I really miss those beakons even if they aren't that useful for that mode

So basically my style of hunting you down? =P

Totakeke

Rollers aren't overpowered, just play a Carbon Roller yourself, it's not that easy to dominate games. In fact I think Carbon Rollers are pretty blah unless you're a pro at burst bombs.

Violet_0

Banned
He loves his custom e-liter, doubt anything I say will change his mind. He has fallen into some illusion that it is the better one, for reasons no one will understand.

:mad:
I will prove it to all of you when my connection is not shitty anymore. Custom E-Liter (non-scoped, of course) is the light
So basically my style of hunting you down? =P
indeed! And I totally deserve every single burst bomb death

Naar

so apparently there is a major secret that no one told me about :(

my team stays in our home base in tower control mode in kelp dome after i get on the tower and go into enemy territory without any back up :(

this happens way to often that people keep staying at home base and leave the tower alone and with multiple different teams

someone tell me this super awesome secret please!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Geg

My problem wasn't really with being the only one to ever get on the tower since I think the dual squelcher is well suited for that role, but having at least one person go in front of or alongside me to try to intercept enemies I can't reach instead of going off on side paths to do whatever would be nice. As well as teammates not getting on the tower to continue if I die.

Thinking back to some of my bad matches in tower control there were times when I think I may have jumped the gun on getting on the tower while half my team was still being revived at the spawn point, but I always leave a beakon near the center of the stage if I'm getting on the tower, and some of my worse losses were against teams who were constantly super jumping to the tower to keep it defended and our team pressured, while my team was just spread out all over the place when I was on it.

WALKMAN04

Funny I feel the opposite, when I play custom or something else with beacons all I can think about is that I want bombs.
Rollers aren't overpowered, just play a Carbon Roller yourself, it's not that easy to dominate games. In fact I think Carbon Rollers are pretty blah unless you're a pro at burst bombs.
When I play carbon roller, I consider my main weapon burst bombs although I tried to go away from that the last time I played it, it was when you using it as well, it didn't work out so well. It didn't help that I wasn't really paying attention due to distractions, but I have done well in the past using my burst bombs mostly mindset

noshten

I usually drop down to A/A- when playing with charger, I can see the void in skill level when playing against A+ chargers. At A/A- it appears I have a much easier time getting positive K/D Ratio as well as topping the charts. While at A+ my sub-par charger capabilities ensure a rank down.

Also keep in mind that there are certain rotations which favor different types of weapons.

DaBoss

so apparently there is a major secret that no one told me about :(

my team stays in our home base in tower control mode in kelp dome after i get on the tower and go into enemy territory without any back up :(

this happens way to often that people keep staying at home base and leave the tower alone and with multiple different teams

someone tell me this super awesome secret please!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(
If you stay at home base for 60 seconds, you will summon the mighty kraken, Cthulhoon.

You will automatically finish the match.

Naar

If you stay at home base for 60 seconds, you will summon the mighty kraken, Cthulhoon.

You will automatically finish the match.

but we dont :( bad worshipers? or maybe im a bad sacrifice (thats why they leave me alone right??!?!?!?!?!)?

One of these days, a lurker is going to believe you guys.
heh.png

Playing Octobrush and the Beakon game is quite deadly. It's like, if you place them right and your team uses it then it's awesome but at the same time if you put it in the wrong location they could be jumping to their doom.

Gsnap

Fiiiiiinally made it back to B+

.96 gal deco might have to be my go-to for ranked modes from now on. Splash wall and kraken have basically made the last 8 games I've played.

So after a few weeks off, its all carbon rollers jumping 1 hit killers.

The fuck is this shit? The range on them is ridiculous.
Its range is garbage. If it looks ridiculous then that's just due to lag.
I wonder how this will work. This would work as a good solution to allow friends of friends join, but also be able to control who can join the room.
My prediction: If your friend's in a room, and not just one they made, you can join them. But if there's a password lock, there will be a lock icon to the left of their Mii and you will need to enter a password to get in.

Not predicting any sort of beautiful lobby-like system. Just selecting a friend from a list like you currently do in regular battles.

Geg

The Splatoon tumblr updated with info on squad battles, mostly reiterating what we already know

Squad Battle is one of the new multiplayer modes being added in Splatoon’s August update. From what we hear, it’ll allow friends to play together in Ranked Battles, like they’ve been doing so far with in Regular Battles. Form a squad of two or four players, and get into the action!

When forming a two-person squad, you’ll be paired with two more players who’ve done the same, and face off against a team of two two-person squads. That’s a lot of twos! The other pair you and your opponents are matched with are random, but they should be a similar rank.

If you form a full-on four-person squad, you’ll be matched up against another foursome of similar rank.

What’s more, you can also form squads of three players, but these will work like four-person squads. You won’t get a handicap, but this is a great challenge for a group of three who think they’ve got what it takes. Oh, and by the way, you’ll still earn points and have your rank affected during Squad Battles. Just a lil something to think about before heading out with a team of three!

Ahnez

Squids, please recommend ~3 weapons for me to learn

My current mains are the custom Jet Squelcher and the tentatek Splattershot

I can't really choose by myself lol I never like a weapon at first

Also.. You can create a ranked lobby and manage the teams just like in the unranked ones, right? I think it would be much less frustrating to lose points play against gaf than losing points playing against randoms without trusting your team

Heng

Squids, please recommend ~3 weapons for me to learn

My current mains are the custom Jet Squelcher and the tentatek Splattershot

I can't really choose by myself lol I never like a weapon at first

Also.. You can create a ranked lobby and manage the teams just like in the unranked ones, right? I think it would be much less frustrating to lose points play against gaf than losing points playing against randoms without trusting your team
Rapid blaster.

Being serious, try N-zap, Dual Squelcher, or Splat-o-matic.

Top Bottom