• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

RedFyn

What the fuck. I just had an overtime where we actually removed the losing team's control for like half a second, but it apparently didn't "take" because they immediately restored control of the zone, and they won.

I'm assuming that this had to be some kind of lag delay thing, because it was total horseshit.
I thought you had to take back control not just remove theirs.

Anyone?

I thought you had to take back control not just remove theirs.

Anyone?

It's entirely possible that my brain is mixing it up with how tower control works because I prefer it over splat zones, but I thought it was just removing control. Hmm.

Edit: okay I am just sleep deprived

Jintor

It's entirely possible that my brain is mixing it up with how tower control works because I prefer it over splat zones, but I thought it was just removing control. Hmm.

there's a 10 second 'free' window during contested, but if control flips they'll lose

WALKMAN04

In both you need to gain control of the zone/tower to end overtime but you can also win by keeping them out of control for a certain amount of time

Edit: this is the 3rd OT Heng and its around 400 pages if I remember correctly

Africanus

This is true to an extent. Lag can make the weakness of this weapon disappear and I suspect it's probably the reason they're complaining. That or they don't know how to deal with it and rather complain than learn to beat it.

When are we moving to the 3rd OT? Have we come up with a title?

Aye but isn't lag a killer for all weapons haha.

My suggestion:

Splatoon |OT4| It's A Turf War On A Global Scale

Fits the '90s theme.

Jims

I really want to get better with dual squelcher too but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be good at doing. The other long distance weapons are stronger and the short distance weapons are faster. Feels like there's no way to get an advantage with it.

Dual Squelcher is kinda matchup-dependent, to be honest. Watching that team composition part at the beginning is essential. If you see shorter-ranged stuff like Krak-Ons and Aerosprays and Splash-O-Matics, you can usually approach pretty safely and force them to make a move (throw a bomb, etc). Just don't let them run up to you. Against .96 Gals and snipers and stuff, gotta play that stealthy game. It spreads ink incredibly well (useful in Turf Wars and Splat Zones) and shoots fast enough that you can often bunny-hop out of bad situations. Can win scary duels against the rapid-fire stuff too.

It does a little bit of everything well.

Vecks

is it worth buying a lot of clothing/shoes/hats when I'm low level just to upgrade it? or save my money for later on?
It doesn't really make much difference either way. But I'd recommend you save your money for weapons and gear that you want most. The gear will show back up in the shop eventually. So you won't miss anything by skipping now.

DaBoss

So with the August update, will the Splatoon OT be moved to gaming side for a bit? I think the update is big enough to justify it being moved for a while.
holy shit daboss i don't think i've ever laughed so hard in my life

this is like the good old days of spontaneous tf2 punch only battles or spy hide-and-seek
Heh, glad you had fun. It's a lot of fun messing around like this, though I feel bad for my teammates. Though those matches had lots of disconnects, so no big problem.
Can you sell clothes etc that you don't use anymore?
You can't sell anything. You keep everything you buy.

|OT6| Identity Crisis
That's a Michael Jackson c-c-c-c-combo breaker... or is it? :/
Dual Squelcher is kinda matchup-dependent, to be honest. Watching that team composition part at the beginning is essential. If you see shorter-ranged stuff like Krak-Ons and Aerosprays and Splash-O-Matics, you can usually approach pretty safely and force them to make a move (throw a bomb, etc). Just don't let them run up to you. Against .96 Gals and snipers and stuff, gotta play that stealthy game. It spreads ink incredibly well (useful in Turf Wars and Splat Zones) and shoots fast enough that you can often bunny-hop out of bad situations.

It does a little bit of everything well.

I was having a bit more success at the end with bunny hopping but it's pretty hard to avoid the temptation of getting into long range firefights because it feels a lot more powerful than it is. I'm sure if I spend more time with it I'd get used to the range and how many hits it takes to splat and move but it's not as simple as I thought it would be.

Geg

I saw that happen actually haha, it was right after you killed me. He avenged me. :)
Haha actually after watching the playback that was Azure he did that to right after he killed you. He bump killed both of us that last match lmao

I really want to get better with dual squelcher too but I can't figure out what it's supposed to be good at doing. The other long distance weapons are stronger and the short distance weapons are faster. Feels like there's no way to get an advantage with it.

It's best used defensively rather than offensively, but it can be effective at breaking through the enemy's territory too depending on the weapons the enemy is using. I love pressuring chargers with it. Some of my highest kill counts in matches come from defending the middle of walleye warehouse or the north areas of saltspray rig from invading enemies.

I'm kind of helpless and am nothing more than a distraction/decoy if I rush into enemy territory without anyone in front of me, and I still get my ass kicked by faster, sneakier weapons like the brushes and splash/sploosh-o-matics but the faster fire rate and lower ink consumption than the splattershot pro and .96 makes me prefer it to them, and makes it more useful offensively than the jet squelcher in my opinion. Also beakons are great and I love them.

But if you're not comfortable using it then just move on to something you do like. I don't really know if I can give you any tips other than make use of the range as best you can. Let your teammates with the shorter range & melee weapons be the one to break into enemy territory and support them from behind the best way you can. If you do have to be the one to go in try to spread your ink around you as much as possible and keep an eye on your surroundings for ambushes.

WorldStar

Banned
been using nothing but the roller since i bought the game, which was like a week ago

already put tons of hours in, but cant stop using the roller. i like it too much.

are the unlocked gear you get from single player significant enough to warrant rushing through the single player so you have an advantage in multiplayer?

Jintor

been using nothing but the roller since i bought the game, which was like a week ago

already put tons of hours in, but cant stop using the roller. i like it too much.

are the unlocked gear you get from single player significant enough to warrant rushing through the single player so you have an advantage in multiplayer?

they're all just different combos of already-existing weapons with different subs and specials.

It's best used defensively rather than offensively, but it can be effective at breaking through the enemy's territory too depending on the weapons the enemy is using. I love pressuring chargers with it. Some of my highest kill counts in matches come from defending the middle of walleye warehouse or the north areas of saltspray rig from invading enemies.

I'm kind of helpless and am nothing more than a distraction/decoy if I rush into enemy territory without anyone in front of me, and I still get my ass kicked by faster, sneakier weapons like the brushes and splash/sploosh-o-matics but the faster fire rate and lower ink consumption than the splattershot pro and .96 makes me prefer it to them, and makes it more useful offensively than the jet squelcher in my opinion. Also beakons are great and I love them.

But if you're not comfortable using it then just move on to something you do like. I don't really know if I can give you any tips other than make use of the range as best you can. Let your teammates with the shorter range & melee weapons be the one to break into enemy territory and support them from behind the best way you can. If you do have to be the one to go in try to spread your ink around you as much as possible and keep an eye on your surroundings for ambushes.

Hmm, I think that was my problem at first. I kept trying to rush people with it instead if downing them in ink from afar. I have a better idea now of what I need to work on with it so thanks for the tips!

Geg

Hmm, I think that was my problem at first. I kept trying to rush people with it instead if downing them in ink from afar. I have a better idea now of what I need to work on with it so thanks for the tips!

Ha that was my exact problem with it when I first started out with it. I remember match after match of rushing to the center of arowana mall at the beginning and getting destroyed by faster, shorter range weapons.

Heng

Edit: this is the 3rd OT Heng and its around 400 pages if I remember correctly
Holy shit, what happened to OT2? Was I just not paying attention? Lol...

is it worth buying a lot of clothing/shoes/hats when I'm low level just to upgrade it? or save my money for later on?
Mmmm... tough call, I'd say buy gears. Coins are only used to add slots to gears, rerolls, buying gears, and buying weapon. If you were to buy it now, you can still save up more coins when you hit 20.

Azure J

Casually dropped 30K on Spyke's lap, gave him a top I liked but never really did much with, and told him "Surprise me."

wiiu_screenshot_tv_011ppm1.jpg

XqHYd8J.gif

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Kind of annoying... I'd suggest we try a new lobby, but since they don't let you back out for some reason...

EDIT: Well, it looks like the timer's going to run down.

EDIT 2: Gonna try joining Azure J.

Top Bottom