• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Nico_D

How satisfying when you meet those damn ground fuckers (who celebrate killing me and want to show it to me) and you watch them pump the ground over and over - and then you win.

I don't know, maybe he should've spend the time doing something useful instead?

Nico_D

I must say I´m really not finding any difference in player skill between B+ and A+, save for the rare A+ killing machine that pops up in matches once in a while and dominates everyone.

Thanks for that. Now I've got no incentive to get there.

I didn't know rollers could move that fast.

Are you playing against Red?

Yesterday I got a match of a full A+ squad VS full B+ squad. The B+ team wiped the floor with us A+ so hard...I took the -14 points and left the lobby instantly in shame.

BTW, I was the only one with a positive K/D ratio in my team, the rest had really horrible K/Ds. I must say I´m really not finding any difference in player skill between B+ and A+, save for the rare A+ killing machine that pops up in matches once in a while and dominates everyone.

All I'll say is that the all A+ room I got stuck in as a B+ was some of the most fun I've ever had on ranked.

ryechu

All set for tomorrow!
mnikn0X.jpg

Heres hoping that the new update gives me a hat that matches the amiibo set better than this one, because opening gambit is not the best. Pretty doubtful.

I'm not playing well but I don't feel good and am just blowing off steam.

Taking out your frustration by smacking squidkids around? I had to do that yesterday. Blew up randoms just because. Barely sniped unless Jeff tried to get in my face with an E-Liter. Even then, I barely tried sniping him.

Well that hilarious bloodbath was probably a good place to end for the night. Sorry you got stuck with three randoms against four Gaffers, robotguy. Good games, everyone.

Rize_21

Maybe it's known? found a new way to ninja swim in the lab, move the stick doing circles and go a little slower in the direction you want, have fun.
And good games all :).

i look forward to tomorrows update cant wait to actually do legit all gaf matches instead of jumping threw hoops like we had to when the game first came out >.<

correojon

Well, I think the main difference is mostly in the weaker players: a B+ weak player is much, much worse than a weak A+ player but the difference between a good A+ player and a good B+ player is not that much. Everyone in between is almost the same. The only exception to this I can think of are A+ chargers, in B+ you can find chargers who have no clue what they´re doing, but A+ chargers are truly scary; they move around more so it´s more difficult to evade or surprise them, they use their subs more and better and they almost never miss a shot.

ryechu

Well, I think the main difference is mostly in the weaker players: a B+ weak player is much, much worse than a weak A+ player but the difference between a good A+ player and a good B+ player is not that much. Everyone in between is almost the same. The only exception to this I can think of are A+ chargers, in B+ you can find chargers who have no clue what they´re doing, but A+ chargers are truly scary; they move around more so it´s more difficult to evade or surprise them, they use their subs more and better and they almost never miss a shot.

I think its more accurate to say that B+ players are more inconsistant than A+ players on average. So its not a weak B+, but a B+ player having bad mojo. Azure J,on the otherhand, was, is, and will always be godly.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Splatoon |OT4| Yee Yesshh, Weebee Squueeee

I don't know why I didn't reroll for Damage Up earlier for my gear. I honestly feel unstoppable with my Krakon Roller with the Damage ++ I have for my gear plus my Defense ++. I'm dominating even Carbon Rollers at their range.

And Lol @ people saying the Kraken should be nerfed in the 2.0 Gaming Side thread. It was already nerfed already and if you're using the Kraken to mainly get kills you're doing it wrong. Get the kills if they're right in front of you but I'd rather use it to get to a specific point on the map.

That IGN video with matchmaking has me hyped. SM239, GuySloth, AzureJ, Totakeke, BlueSilver, Ryechu, Blakstatus and all of SplatoonGAF potentially playing on the same against another group of randoms? They're going to lose.

The interesting matches will be in house.

ryechu

Was watching a slosher video. It seems that the weapon has been changed substantially compared to the alpha one the wep file parameters indicate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mqliMPZ69w

In the testing room, you can clearly see the volume of the ink is concentrated along the main arc of the paint. When he shoots it forward it almost leaves like blaster imprint with a thinner trail of paint leading to a rounded splash near the tip. It seems that this main splash does 70, while hitting with the minor splash (the lagging fall-down paint analogous to the nodmg dropped trails of chargers and mini-bullets of shooters) does 40. Since the main splash travels in a parabolic arc, you can potentially aim far or high angle and still hit with the 70 dmg. In other words the dmg does not scale down based on range (unlike rollers) or flight time(shooters). Also, when you kill an enemy the ink ball continues to travel so it splashes a good amount behind them if you kill them point blank, meaning you can just swim right after a kill. A heavy investment in dmg up (3 mains, 2 subs) could make the indirect splash a 2hko, which could be good dealing with multiple enemies in a line. You could aim above all their heads, and opt out of only hitting one with teh direct dmg, and instead hit them all with the falling dmg, like a ghetto inkzooka. We gunbound boys.

Edit: Or since the splash continues on if it kills, you can lob a shot over their heads with no dmg up and do 40 dmg to everyone, and then shoot a direct splash at the first guy and itll bulldoze through all the enemies since each one would be below 70 hp. Weapon seems deeper than I first imagined.

How satisfying when you meet those damn ground fuckers (who celebrate killing me and want to show it to me) and you watch them pump the ground over and over - and then you win.

I don't know, maybe he should've spend the time doing something useful instead?

There are some people whose combination of play style, weapon choice, ability/lack of ability, lag and luck mean that I will gladly sacrifice a match now and then just to hunt them down and squidhump their splatted remains.

ryechu

I don't know why I'm doing all this latenight analyses, but after looking at the renders for the gatling and the slosher, I figured out that there are weapon brands. There are currently several weapon companies in the game, and all of the weapon designs follow the signature design of their manifacturing company. The names are all in the inkling language but I'm going to give them names that make sense

Splat- The ubiquitous starting weapon set. Its aesthetic is light green, dark green and red, toy-like weapon designs. Examples include the splattershot, splat charger, splat roller, splattershot pro and jr, inkzooka, splash wall, inkstrike, splat bombs. You can see the company name in inklish in the corner. The alternate sets of these weapons are made in collaboration with clothing brands we know and love.
468px-Tumblr_nl0gy4twVY1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
latest

Deco- This brand's weapons have the deco moniker for their alternate sets. This also is the brand that makes the two new classes. The aesthetic is black, with carbon fiber or otherwise high quality plastic in bright accent colors, giving it a slick, state-of-the-art look. Examples include the Heavy splatling, slosher, carbon roller, .52 gal, .96 gal, rapid blaster, seeker
CJSzrMWWwAAnrn-.jpg
latest
elI4CiW.jpg
250px-Seeker1.png

Dolphin (Hard to name, the nozzlenoses are called L3 nozzlenose D and have the brand logo, a dolphin, on them)- Household, water based appliances. Examples include the sprinkler, squiffer and nozzlenoses.
tumblr_nmwsm599cI1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
250px-Item_img_sub04.png

img_l3nozzlenose.jpg

Custom- Aesthetic: metal. Theme: Power. Examples include the squelchers (power tools), ,E liter (gas pump), killer wail (speakers), blaster (A grill or a stove), Suction bomb (called cubane bomb in japan, after a chemical fuel).
latest
latest
SuctionBomb.png

Neo- Futuristic

CHTMx8WUwAAWaZ2.jpg
latest

Nouvaeu- Art
hqdefault.jpg

latest

Cuttlegear- Hero weapons - Aesthetic is based on the firefly squid

Ammoknights- Theme=meme, The "non-detrimental" weapons and "Why does this roller outrange a squelcher." Aesthetic- Sheldon likes his stainless steel and the extent of his above average intelligence is spray painting it golden.

Nintendo made the nzaps. And the bamboozer is a 100 year old weapon. Its alternate style has the squid beak splatoons logo!

They put a lot of work into the design of the game. Whats your favorite weapon company?

correojon

I don't know why I'm doing all this latenight analysis, but after looking at the renders for the gatling and the slosher, I figured out weapon brands. There are currently several weapon companies in the game, and all of the weapon designs follow the signature design of their manifacturing company. The names are all in the inkling language but I'm going to give them names that make sense

Splat- The ubiquitous starting weapon set. Its aesthetic is light green, dark green and red, toy-like weapon designs. Examples include the splattershot, splat charger, splat roller, splattershot pro and jr, inkzooka, splash wall, inkstrike, splat bombs. You can see the company name in inklish in the corner. The alternate sets of these weapons are made in collaboration with clothing brands we know and love.
468px-Tumblr_nl0gy4twVY1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
latest

Deco- This brand's weapons have the deco moniker for their alternate sets. This also is the brand that makes the two new classes. The aesthetic is black, with carbon fiber or otherwise high quality plastic in bright accent colors, giving it a slick, state-of-the-art look. Examples include the Heavy splatling, slosher, carbon roller, .52 gal, .96 gal, rapid blaster, seeker
CJSzrMWWwAAnrn-.jpg
latest
elI4CiW.jpg
250px-Seeker1.png

Dolphin (Hard to name, the nozzlenoses are called L3 nozzlenose D and have the brand logo, a dolphin, on them)- Household, water based appliances. Examples include the sprinkler, squiffer and nozzlenoses.
tumblr_nmwsm599cI1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
250px-Item_img_sub04.png

img_l3nozzlenose.jpg

Custom- Aesthetic: metal. Theme: Power. Examples include the squelchers (power tools), ,E liter (gas pump), killer wail (speakers), blaster (A grill or a stove), Suction bomb (called cubane bomb in japan, after a chemical fuel).
latest
latest
SuctionBomb.png

Neo- Futuristic

CHTMx8WUwAAWaZ2.jpg
latest

Nouvaeu- Art
hqdefault.jpg

latest

Cuttlegear- Hero weapons - Aesthetic is based on the firefly squid

Ammoknights- Theme=meme, The "mondetrimental" weapons and "Why does this roller outrange a squelcher." Aesthetic- Sheldon likes his stainless steel and the extent of his above average intelligence is spray painting it golden.

Nintendo made the nzaps. And the bamboozer is a 100 year old weapon. Its alternate style has the squid beak splatoons logo!

They put a lot of work into the design of the game. Whats your favorite weapon company?

Awesome post. It´s details like these that show how much love got put into the game. Splatoon´s maps remind of MK8 tracks in that sense: every track in MK8 is brimmed with little cool details and Splatoon´s maps don´t fall behind, you can play the same map for the 200th time and discover something new if you look with care.

I never even realized there were unnamed weapon brands along with the clothing brands. Now I want them to get official names. I like the look of the "futuristic" ("Neo") ones and the Deco ones.

Good post, ryechu.

StAidan

Since it's gonna be a little bit before I start putting up highlights, allow me to say the following in (late) celebration:

A + B O Y S

SO FRESH! Congrats, that round you brought in the Splatterscope was a great watch, I missed the A+ event but I'm sure I'll see it in your highlights.

Geg

Oh yeah I didn't even realize those were new. Hopefully they've got a better main ability than the tinted shades

ryechu

Some pics of some of the new gear, sorry if its old:
Nice.

Someone should do a clothing brand analysis. On the top of my head, firefin is bape, zink is nike, tentatek is adidas, krakon converse, inkline is rei, forge is high quality, expensive shit.

besides that splash mob seems preppy, zekko, 90s retro, takoroka is like 00s suberbia, skalop does lids.

And squidforce, for being the fucking espn for the splatoon sport should have way more clothing options than one headband and zero shoes.

Africanus

Red has to be the most experienced roller I've faced outside of myself.

It's not fair, especially when you're using a dynamo versus a Krak-on. That wind-up is a killer in two ways.

Zing

Banned
I disagree with his statement strongly. There is a large and noticeable gap in performance between B+ and A/A+. I have been A+ (admittedly dropped to high A currently) for a few weeks and I can immediately tell when I am playing with B's. The game is most fun for me when everyone is A+.

Geg

Splatoon sales in Japan are up 16% last week over the week before. This week has both the second testfire and the August update so expect them to be even higher.

Speaking of the August update I can't believe it's already happening tonight

StAidan

Grr, I've gotten to B+ 90 twice now and both times the matchmaking turned immediately against me. My pre-work rounds this morning ended like this:

- Matched against a team of A+
- Splat Zones / Walleye Warehouse
- Took the early lead, then lost control with 70 on the clock
- I had to spend most of my time on the enemy side of the zone because my teammates wouldn't approach
- Even when I wiped out all 4 enemies in a 5-second span (but was splatted in the process), my teammates failed to take control of the completely uncontested zone, preferring to ink the side areas instead

Upon losing to a knockout and seeing the match summary, my team's k/d looked like this: 14/7, 3/8, 2/10, 1/12

Ranked mode is such an exercise in frustration, but I'm determined to take my Octobrush to A+.

Top Bottom