• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

_Isaac

How are you guys liking the update? Man I wish I could play more but I gotta head out of town to visit my parents these next few days. I am contemplating taking my Wii U.

StAidan

Some stuff regarding this latest update:

Slosher - I played with the new bucket for a while in turf wars, and never got a good feel on how to use it effectively. For some reason it was tough to tell how many hits I'd need to splat someone, but maybe I should have played with it on the test range first.

Private rooms - Not sure I'll use these much, I want money and I want to reach level 50. Seems like the original friend-joining in randoms method will be better for that.

Ranked squads - These have a lot of potential, I think, but my experience with it last night indicated that you're probably better off squadding up with other people of your rank. I was in Totakeke's room (rank S) with a B teammate and a B+ (like me) teammate. Matchmaking seemed inclined to match us up with rank A and S teams, possibly because Totakeke was hosting, but I don't know. I expect we would have been more evenly matched up if we'd been an all B/B+ team.

Also, we got totally decimated by a 3-man squad, which was pretty embarrassing.

On the bright side, I jumped back into random ranked this morning and got some of my B+ points back. :) Went 23/6 in my last round, which beats my previous high k/d ratio of 27/9.

Gsnap

What's the discord server for everyone?

Bucket seems ok. Fairy easy to kill with and coverage is good too. But man it is the opposite of my play style so it'll take some time to get used to. No new gear in my shops as far as I can tell. : /

Geg

Private rooms - Not sure I'll use these much, I want money and I want to reach level 50. Seems like the original friend-joining in randoms method will be better for that.

Yeah I still want to use them for full gaf Splat Zone/Tower Control matches though. Those are a lot of fun

It's more that I actually care about inking turf more in Turf Wars unlike everyone else in GAF rooms. :p
Why are you always killing me then :(

Exile20

What's the discord server for everyone?

Bucket seems ok. Fairy easy to kill with and coverage is good too. But man it is the opposite of my play style so it'll take some time to get used to. No new gear in my shops as far as I can tell. : /

Look at this post for the discord server link, just quote it to see it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174018831&postcount=16932

Please quote to see the Discord invitation
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
QUOTE ME!!!
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Violet_0

Banned
anyone wanna play a few squad battles? We got rebel and me so far. The discord app is pretty neat btw
need one more, pw is 0123

Sinthetic

I would say beat this, but you can't. It's the max it goes to. Probably why I'm the best Aerospray player around.

zk2BdGe.png

ryechu

They should add changes to make joining friends easier. Like if you go to any of the join friend modes, you still be able to see what modes other friends are playing, so you can make an informed decision. That and seeing how many people are in each private lobby and squad lobby so you can see which one you should join.

I keep getting the "Unstable Connection" error. (My wii u has a wired connection.)

My internet has always been pretty crap and someone had to come and fix it just last week. I tried resetting the router/modem and that didn't help.

Is it something on my end? Or is it the Splatoon server?

I'm at a loss at what to do. :/
I have the same problem. My [your] end, caused by the update, affects few people so snowballs chance in hell anyone cares to actually fix it. GG Splatoon.

I tried wireless for laughs and it was just as bad.

So other things I've changed:

The DNS on the Wii U to the google ones. Doing that match 1 went to 18 second before finish :( the nearest I have been by a long shot. That was a one-off though.

Stuck the Wii U right into DMZ. Also failed.

Finally the MTU. Tricky stuff but I've seen it work before in other things.The Wii U seems to default MTU to 1400 for LAN...changing that also fails. It could be because i'm literally poking a stick in the dark but also I can't change the MTU on the router simply because it actually doesn't have a setting on its side (which is really strange).

So, GAF, I've wasted an hour getting nowhere on this shit. I'm out.

Some numbers for geeks re: my connection:
Downstream: 5.805 Mbps
Upstream: 443.9 Kbps
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.0 dB / 22.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 44.7 dB / 26.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.1 dBm / 13.0 dBm
Are these good, bad? It isn't like I can change them or anything.

Totakeke

Some numbers for geeks re: my connection:

Are these good, bad? It isn't like I can change them or anything.

The download speeds are low for a general internet connection, but it doesn't matter for Splatoon. I got a separate 3Mbps internet connection from a different ISP and it works great for Splatoon, Don't think I've had any connection errors that was purely my own so far. I think the main issue is more of the stability of your connection so you want to try to test your packet loss over different regions and see if it's consistent.

Maybe http://www.pingtest.net/?

Slosher - I played with the new bucket for a while in turf wars, and never got a good feel on how to use it effectively. For some reason it was tough to tell how many hits I'd need to splat someone, but maybe I should have played with it on the test range first.

From what I could tell in the test range it does a flat 70 damage regardless of distance, so it'll always be a 2 hit kill.

Totakeke

Ranked squads - These have a lot of potential, I think, but my experience with it last night indicated that you're probably better off squadding up with other people of your rank. I was in Totakeke's room (rank S) with a B teammate and a B+ (like me) teammate. Matchmaking seemed inclined to match us up with rank A and S teams, possibly because Totakeke was hosting, but I don't know. I expect we would have been more evenly matched up if we'd been an all B/B+ team.

Also, we got totally decimated by a 3-man squad, which was pretty embarrassing.

On the bright side, I jumped back into random ranked this morning and got some of my B+ points back. :) Went 23/6 in my last round, which beats my previous high k/d ratio of 27/9.

Haha, I don't think anyone in particular is the host, it might be because of me that we're getting high ranked teams, or it could be just matchmaking for squads is more difficult especially if there's only finite amount of squads you can get matched with at one time.

Three of us were also on discord with voice chat and it was pretty difficult for me to play well because of my sound setup. My laptop speakers were not loud enough so I had to turn down my headphones volume which was connected to the Wii U. Without clear sound cues and using voice chat for the first time in Splatoon made it a bit hard to focus and play well. I had to juggle between what I usually do and what my team mates were telling me through voice. It was a bit disorientating.

You did well with the brush though. :)

StAidan

From what I could tell in the test range it does a flat 70 damage regardless of distance, so it'll always be a 2 hit kill.

Yeah, I was confused because that's what I read in the thread prior to the patch, but I had instances where I could clearly hear (and see) 2 hits register, but a third hit was necessary to finish them off. (And in some of those cases I couldn't get the third hit in before being splatted.) Maybe some of those folks had a bunch of defense up perks? I didn't think to look at that at the time.

javac

Jesus I thought that I played this game quite a bit, some of the numbers here are insane.
People who can utilize the bucket effectively are tough opponents, but I can't get the hang on using it honestly. I'm warming up the the Splatling.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Anyone playing Turf Wars right now and want to Friend up? NNID: adamsantos

... So are there new weapons every time you Level up? Or every 5 you just get a new piece of equipment? I guess nobody knows at this point.

Geg

I sit too far away from my computer and don't have a mic of any kind aside from the wii u gamepad so if I ever go into squads with anyone I won't be able to voice chat

Jonke

Neo Member
Been using Discord for quite a while, it's a really nice application.

Today's work hours have been painful to go through. I want to play but my train is not fast enough. ;-;

StAidan

Haha, I don't think anyone in particular is the host, it might be because of me that we're getting high ranked teams, or it could be just matchmaking for squads is more difficult especially if there's only finite amount of squads you can get matched with at one time.

Three of us were also on discord with voice chat and it was pretty difficult for me to play well because of my sound setup. My laptop speakers were not loud enough so I had to turn down my headphones volume which was connected to the Wii U. Without clear sound cues and using voice chat for the first time in Splatoon made it a bit hard to focus and play well. I had to juggle between what I usually do and what my team mates were telling me through voice. It was a bit disorientating.

You did well with the brush though. :)

Yeah, with a little more time it might be easier to pick out why the matchmaking did what it did, I'm definitely just speculating at this point.

I guess if I want to team up with GAF in ranked though, I'd probably better find a decent headset or something. Teams could be at a disadvantage when only 2 or 3 members are in voice chat. Don't think my wife will let me spend any more money this month (I already bought an Elgato), maybe that will give me time to find something with a good balance of quality and affordability.

And thanks, Octobrush is my new favorite in ranked, kind of funny since my first round with it was accidental, but I haven't brought anything else into ranked mode since then.

I won't be able to play too much tonight and I did not play too much yesterday, but I have to admit I love what they did to Saltspray Rig Tower Control.

Exile20

Is there an English version of that statistics website yet? I can't understand how to navigate it in Japanese.

None yet, it is weird there is no english version. There doesn't seem to be much words so it shouldn't take long. I am sure it will happen soon tho.

Top Bottom