• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

RagnarokX

But statistically, the side with more people would have more poor players and 100% of their battles wouldn't be against the opposing team.

So the wins percentage difference should have been much greater if Team Cat was good, but here we see the lowest percentage difference possible that was most likely rounded up/rounded down to have a winner (51% vs 49%).

Team Cat stay losing.
Since the teams were essentially random because whether you like cats or dogs should have no correlation with player skill then both teams should have proportionally the same amount of good and poor players. Team Dog would have had a greater number off good players in addition to having a greater number of bad players. If there were 100,000 voters and half of them were good players, then that would still give Dogs 31,000 good players against 19,000 good Cat players. Plus you didn't have to battle to vote, and more skilled players were probably more likely to battle; especially considering it was a national holiday. With fewer players, individuals from Team Cat would have had to put in a lot more effort than individuals from Team Dog needed to put in and there were more chances for cat players to end up with less than full teams.

RagnarokX

Ugh that feel when you splat there whole team but your three other teammates don't go on the point.

Hey, last week I took the top of Saltspray Rig and defended it by myself for like 3 minutes straight spamming the shit out of "C'MON!!" as the other team sent multiple people after me and when I finally got splatted I look at my team and they were meticulously painting every pixel of our own base...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hey where's that chart or whatever that shows when stacking specific perks becomes ineffective? I wanna know if the ink savers I have on here are redundant.

Anyone? I know I saw it in one of these threads but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Totakeke

Since the teams were essentially random because whether you like cats or dogs should have no correlation with player skill then both teams should have proportionally the same amount of good and poor players. Team Dog would have had a greater number off good players in addition to having a greater number of bad players. If there were 100,000 voters and half of them were good players, then that would still give Dogs 31,000 good players against 19,000 good Cat players. Plus you didn't have to battle to vote, and more skilled players were probably more likely to battle; especially considering it was a national holiday. With fewer players, individuals from Team Cat would have had to put in a lot more effort than individuals from Team Dog needed to put in and there were more chances for cat players to end up with less than full teams.

I was with you until the last part. The amount of effort is the same because Team Dog doesn't decide who they fight against. An individual in team cat would have higher effect on his team's overall efforts yes, but that's it. Unfortunately being in a team has colored your squid lenses.

i slept through splatfest, rip me

but it seems like it wasn't that great, anyway? lots of technical issues?

If you mean getting 720k cash worth of rerolls isn't great... then the matchmaking wasn't great and there was mostly blowouts.

Geg

More connection errors and disconnects than usual yeah. And starting games without a full 8 players

Team cat getting robbed is also something I count as a technical issue

NotLiquid

Sometimes teams wouldn't match up and when that happens the teams end up facing one another. Every once in a while there'd be a person who disconnects before the round starts and very rarely there'd be four people facing down one lone person.

But overall it was fairly decent and fun. It definitely felt like there was some more challenge than usual at times.

phanphare

Banned
I was with you until the last part. The amount of effort is the same because Team Dog doesn't decide who they fight against. An individual in team cat would have higher effect on his team's overall efforts yes, but that's it. Unfortunately being in a team has colored your squid lenses.

yeah basically what I'm getting from splatfests is that the win % will always be very close because both teams should be evenly matched for the matches that count

DaBoss

You're right. I was mostly just joking around just to say "stay losing" lol.
Anyone? I know I saw it in one of these threads but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
I don't know about a chart, but this thread has a bunch of info: http://squidboards.com/threads/hard-data-gear-abilities-percentual-effects.2904/

Ansatz

Votes: Rock 64% - 36% Pop
Battles: Rock 53% - 47% Pop

Total: Rock 170 - 130 Pop

Oh yeah! I'm actually more of a pop dude but I pick the side I think will win :p

NotLiquid

x444k0o.jpg

There it is

Geg

It's been an hour since the end of europe's splatfest right? The results should be in now

edit: So America continues to be the only filthy Marie traitors

Neol

Hey, last week I took the top of Saltspray Rig and defended it by myself for like 3 minutes straight spamming the shit out of "C'MON!!" as the other team sent multiple people after me and when I finally got splatted I look at my team and they were meticulously painting every pixel of our own base...

Its pretty frustrating. Like in a lot of other games people just don't map awareness and just end up doing there own thing or blindly charging in.

Lots of comm errors and weird matchmaking issues but in the end free sea snails are nice.

RagnarokX

If you mean getting 720k cash worth of rerolls isn't great... then the matchmaking wasn't great and there was mostly blowouts.

No, I mean that with fewer players Team Cat players had to play in more matches. Team Dog had more people to keep the fight going and Team Cat had fewer good players to spare. We were more likely to get less than full teams against full teams.

BooJoh

That doesn't make any sense. So they add the two categories together for the final result? Battles will always be roughly a 50/50 split so that basically means the most popular team wins in that case.

The final results are Popularity% + (2 x Battle Wins%)

Dogs won 160 to 140, so cats would've needed 49% of the popular vote or... I think 57% battle wins.

Seems likely that the popular vote will always be the deciding factor unless they get really close like 49/51 on popularity.

Totakeke

No, I mean that with fewer players Team Cat players had to play in more matches. Team Dog had more people to keep the fight going and Team Cat had fewer good players to spare.

If team cat only played one match, team dog would only have one team cat vs team dog match too. The number of matches doesn't matter, it's how you do when you're in them that counts.

Jonke

Neo Member
We lost but it was fun regardless. Had no disconnect, no wait time, actual Pop vs Rock matches all the way through. Got nothing else to say than nice fighting Team Rock. :)

I played enough to essentially get to Eternal 3 times and i will say that i had one of the better experiences with Regular (random) than i had since release.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No surprise really.

They need to fix the lag. Can't believe matches with locals were worse than those with Japan.

Well I just hope the game gives me my reward when I get back home in two weeks time.

DumbNameD

Yeah, because I can totally learn a game mode that's a blowout loss every time. Win or loss, I get less than a minute of experience.
Don't forget that you can recon a map by pressing Y during the mode select screen. It can give some familiarity with map layouts, pathway possibilities, and victory conditions.

Codeblue

It wasn't unplayable and the whole atmosphere around the thing was a lot of fun regardless of which team you were on. You should try to make the next one.

My dog bit through my gamepad charger fml

Another strike against dogs >.>

Mine got caught and shredded in a vacuum cleaner and I was able to cut the chewed up ends and splice them back together with some electrical tape. It's a lot shorter but it's been like that for a couple of years now. Probably shouldn't attempt it unless you've done that kind of work before though.

R.D.Blax

Team Marie forever, you all Team Rock cheated !

By the way, I remember seeing a ranking of the top player in each team for the first Japan splatfest. Is it still a thing ?

daydream

Banned
It wasn't unplayable and the whole atmosphere around the thing was a lot of fun regardless of which team you were on. You should try to make the next one.

yeah, i will. just super busy atm

definitely would have appreciated the rerolls but on the other hand, i don't know where the "meta" is right now so i'll probably post my gear in here at some point and ask for some criticism/suggestions

Jims

I was thinking about the statistics and ended up concluding that the minority edge is probably about 1-2%, tops. WALKMAN04 reported getting "less than 5%" games against other Dog Teams, so even if you estimated liberally and said 10% of the total games were Dog v Dog, the lost time by the best team-carrying Dog players is pretty small (in terms of the total percentage of games played).

If, for example, there were an even distribution of skill between both teams, both teams are going to have a very small group of Uber Players who will win, for an extreme example, all 100% of their games. This number is obviously going to be the smallest part of the bell curve. If it were significantly larger, then Uber players would see other Uber players more frequently and not win such a high percentage. So let's say 5% of the userbase on each team.

The Cat Team obviously gets all 5% of those Uber wins. The Dog Team only 4.5% (because they waste 10% of their total time). They lose half a percentage point advantage.

Going down the rest of the bell curve to people who win, say, 80% and then 70% of the time, and Dog Team theoretically loses another percentage point in the aggregate. Obviously, we're just making up percentages here, so your view of what would be the correct answer would vary. It will still be like 15% player base * 70% wins * 10% Dog time loss = 1.5%. Some kind of number like that.

The large majority of the playerbase (even 50-60% of it) probably doesn't matter because it will be a wash of average players versus average players. That giant pool is just determined by random variance. The time loss disadvantage is primarily going to affect the higher level players.

Cats probably lose some percentage from the higher number of incomplete Cat teams I had been hearing about. Just anecdotal, but I feel like there would be more incomplete Cat teams than Dogs. Not sure what that percentage loss would be.

I was wrong earlier when I said the Cats had to win 61% of the matches. It was actually around 56-57%. Cats lost by 20. Needed to gain 10 points (5% wins), and Dogs would need to lose 10.

So, yeah, I would guess that the Cat Team had about a 1-2% theoretical matchmaking edge. So ending up around 51-49 is about right. The whole logic of the matchmaking is extremely confusing, so I probably missed something in reasoning through it. It was interesting that the European one ended up with the minority team losing battles as well, so maybe there actually isn't an edge? It depends on the random distribution as well. I feel like the minority team would have a battle advantage, though, albeit a very small one.

EulaCapra

Just turned it on today.

Popularity: Cats 38% vs. Dogs 62%. No surprises there.
Wins: Cats 51% vs. Dogs 49%. The fuck!?
Total results: Cats 140 vs. Dogs 160. Dogs win but the hell do these final numbers mean?

I'm just happy I got my 24 Super Sea Snails as Dog Queen.

Jackano

As predicted rock won by a decent margin.
I got my sea snails, all 24 of them!

Spike only wants "what's inside, can keep the shell". :s

Sendou

Just turned it on today.

Popularity: Cats 38% vs. Dogs 62%. No surprises there.
Wins: Cats 51% vs. Dogs 49%. The fuck!?
Total results: Cats 140 vs. Dogs 160. Dogs win but the hell do these final numbers mean?

I'm just happy I got my 24 Super Sea Snails as Dog Queen.

38+51*2=140

62+49*2=160

Totakeke

I wonder if they didn't count the matches that didn't involve full teams at both sides, otherwise it would mean team cat actually won considerably more amount of fair matches.

Top Bottom