• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Hackworth

This happened with a random rank A guy got put in my rank B room, he seemed to spend most of the time painting the ground around the middle of the skatepark instead of protecting the tower. Thankfully he wasn't on my team lol
Apparently 4chan /v/ figured out a way to reset points after a game so there are a few channers with A ranks because they don't register losses on their account.

atr0cious

Apparently 4chan /v/ figured out a way to reset points after a game so there are a few channers with A ranks because they don't register losses on their account.

Why are so people worried about rank in a game they objectively suck at so much that they have to find an obtuse way to game it. Here's an idea: play a game because it's fun to you. If it 's not fun, you should probably try something else.

Ozium

Team cat is delusional, and came out with less snails

So silly

Team Cat won more matches with less people. This is not a delusion. This is a fact.

The fact that Team Dog props up their trumped-up "win" as a major victory is what is delusional.

NeoRausch

Team Cat won more matches with less people. This is not a delusion. This is a fact.

The fact that Team Dog props up their trumped-up "win" as a major victory is what is delusional.

Dog won by the rules. End of the story.

Team rock yo!

My team barely lost on Tower Control Mall, keeping the tower on the enemy side while defending and them having no points until overtime, and then....

HYpnZ41.jpg

They pushed against us hard.

I'm not even mad.

Doorman

Why are so people worried about rank in a game they objectively suck at so much that they have to find an obtuse way to game it. Here's an idea: play a game because it's fun to you. If it 's not fun, you should probably try something else.

What I don't understand with people and the ranked matches in this game is that the rating isn't like CoD levels...it's not supposed to represent an endpoint, it's just a grade being attached to your perceived skill level averaged out over the matches you play. It's designed to match you up with players of comparable skill level so that games feel more even. If you get better, your rank will move up and you'll play better competition. The primary reward is still supposed to be the fun of the game itself, and of course the drive to improve.

tl:dr; I think people take building their ranking up more seriously than they should.

Zero²

Wow way to take a game way too seriously, all this for just 4 SSSs? Relax lol

Ozium

next time you team dog people win a ranked or turf war game by 1% please promptly shut your wii u off before you get your rank or cashmoney points

Did a couple rounds with GAF. They were on Port.

I haven't played on that stage in a long fucking time due to it not being on rotation so I forgot how bad I am with the Jr. on that specific stage.

phanphare

Banned
Did a couple rounds with GAF. They were on Port.

I haven't played on that stage in a long fucking time due to it not being on rotation so I forgot how bad I am with the Jr. on that specific stage.

I can attest that the spattershot jr on port in a GAF room is a bad time

Hackworth

How prevalent is this, and how easy is it to perform?

I'd post something on the matter to miiverse or to sent to nintendo's twitter with what you know.
Don't know how prevalent it is, and I also don't remember exactly how it works (also can't check /ink/ because filters), but it's something like this:

Back up data whenever you win.
When you lose a game, replace Wii U data with the backup.

That way your rank won't go down, because ranking data is apparently stored on the local console rather than a central server or whatever.

Ansatz

What I don't understand with people and the ranked matches in this game is that the rating isn't like CoD levels...it's not supposed to represent an endpoint, it's just a grade being attached to your perceived skill level averaged out over the matches you play. It's designed to match you up with players of comparable skill level so that games feel more even. If you get better, your rank will move up and you'll play better competition. The primary reward is still supposed to be the fun of the game itself, and of course the drive to improve.

tl:dr; I think people take building their ranking up more seriously than they should.

Those who are scared of playing ranked because their favorite weapon isn't as effective on a particular map/mode are not going to keep up competitively with this mindset and derank when they eventually play again. A+ is only a measure of current form, you won't remain up there forever unless you keep playing. When tower control launched it was sleep time for us in Europe so when I finally got a chance to try it out I actually dropped to A 20 before I got the hang of it, then got back to A+ 99 once everything clicked. Just a couple of hours late to the party was devastating.

Btw I love how there's no equivalent bullshit mechanic in Splatoon like Mario Kart 8's firehopping that has nothing to do with the game itself. If it was only about drifting and item management I would still be playing MK8 online.

phanphare

Banned
Don't know how prevalent it is, and I also don't remember exactly how it works, but it's something like this:

Back up data whenever you win.
When you lose a game, replace Wii U data with the backup.

That way your rank won't go down, because ranking data is apparently stored on the local console rather than a central server or whatever.

I don't understand why anyone would do this

like, great you're a higher rank than you should be

but that means every time you play in ranked you're going to be the worst player in your match most likely which will probably cost you a lot of matches and make things less fun

fred

Tbh I wouldn't have given a monkey's if us rockers had missed out on Super Sea Snails due to being less popular. The best thing about Splatfest (imo) was that it was FUN. But then I'm an old git so perhaps this fun thing is more important to me at my age lol

Seeing less people rage quitting because you got 2 points from scoring over 400, seeing the maps lit up, the gig in the Plaza and the fact that Nintendo offered a new levelling system for us level 20 players a chance to level up again.

I think it was fantastic entertainment and won't hesitate to join all of the future ones, win or lose.

phanphare

Banned
Tbh I wouldn't have given a monkey's if us rockers had missed out on Super Sea Snails due to being less popular. The best thing about Splatfest (imo) was that it was FUN. But then I'm an old git so perhaps this fun thing is more important to me at my age lol

Seeing less people rage quitting because you got 2 points from scoring over 400, seeing the maps lit up, the gig in the Plaza and the fact that Nintendo offered a new levelling system for us level 20 players a chance to level up again.

I think it was fantastic entertainment and won't hesitate to join all of the future ones, win or lose.

yeah for sure. I had a good time and even being on the losing team I got 10 sea snails out of it. so 300k worth. I also didn't even make it to the highest rank because it was July 4th.

as weird as it may sound the highlight for me was the "live" version of the under 1 minute song. that was a great touch.

Hackworth

@fred: yeah, the night maps with the glowing ink looked amazing. Kinda wish we'd had a few games with different ink colours but it was still cool.

Seriously Splatoon has the best graphical and sound design of any game I've played recently. There's probably stuff I don't consciously notice but it all comes together really well.

Who won in Europe SplatFest?
Team Pop. Don't listen to the lies of the Rockers, they all worship Bigfinzebub.

I don't understand why anyone would do this

like, great you're a higher rank than you should be

but that means every time you play in ranked you're going to be the worst player in your match most likely which will probably cost you a lot of matches and make things less fun

The backup also saves your money that way, so you don't have to waste all your snails and money on bad rerolls.

Jintor

Rock won 170-140

I don't know how I feel about splatfests right now. They really need to tweak it. Like, a lot.

Also EU miiverse art really really sucks. There were only two good pictures in my plaza and one of them was mine :T

ryechu

Those who are scared of playing ranked because their favorite weapon isn't as effective on a particular map/mode are not going to keep up competitively with this mindset and derank when they eventually play again. A+ is only a measure of current form, you won't remain up there forever unless you keep playing. When tower control launched it was sleep time for us in Europe so when I finally got a chance to try it out I actually dropped to A 20 before I got the hang of it, then got back to A+ 99 once everything clicked. Just a couple of hours late to the party was devastating.

Btw I love how there's no equivalent bullshit mechanic in Splatoon like Mario Kart 8's firehopping that has nothing to do with the game itself. If it was only about drifting and item management I would still be playing MK8 online.

but 200cc makes firehopping irrelevant

Top Bottom