• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Exile20

I tried Rainmaker. Straight back to C+. I just give up on Ranked.

Join us

Join the Discord channel to voice chat and squad up easily.

Check the link for details

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174018831

Please quote to see the Discord invitation
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
QUOTE ME!!!
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Geg

Bah, I rolled an ink recovery up in my third slot in the inkvader cap instead of a third quick respawn. Good enough I guess

Also random acts of teamwork with randoms are so nice. A charger I was playing with rolled a splat bomb into an area where an enemy had just destroyed one of my beakons and I was able to swim forward uninterrupted by enemy ink to replace it and we shared a booyah

Violet_0

Banned
Give me yours then because mine just stand there and miss and die.

well, I mainly use chargers myself and I can say from experience that there are lots of fearsome charger players on GAF. I guess it also depends on what rank you are at at the moment, it's one if not the weapon with the highest skill ceiling and requires a ton of practice. Still, a Splatterscope player that goes 2/10 isn't really any worse than a Tentatek player that does the same. I've played a lot of squad battles with other Gaffers and there's generally always a charger in most higher-rank squads regardless of the rotation and game mode, the weapon does have it's place in the game

but tbh I also have the odd game every now and then where I just stand and miss and die, like going 0/6 in a ranked game recently

WALKMAN04

It was a long hard fought journey, but I finally got back to S+, I don't think I'm playing solo any more though I never want to go through de ranking to S again.

Congrats Saro on reaching S+ as well. If I'm correct you were the 8th gaf member to make it which since I dropped below S30 at one point I'm going to count this time reaching S + as another time so I was 3rd to reach it and now 9th. Secured two spots in the top 10 lol.

Geg

It was a long hard fought journey, but I finally got back to S+, I don't think I'm playing solo any more though I never want to go through de ranking to S again.

Congrats Saro on reaching S+ as well. If I'm correct you were the 8th gaf member to make it which since I dropped below S30 at one point I'm going to count this time reaching S + as another time so I was 3rd to reach it and now 9th. Secured two spots in the top 10 lol.

Let's see if I can remember them, there's Daboss, you, James, Ryechu, Goya, Smashley, Saro, Totakeke. I think Red was S+ but did he derank?

So this map is very huge and has many path ways.

As a a side effect it's much easier to cover large amounts of enemy turf and vice-versa without running into anyone.

I absolutely adore the verticality though. I've always loved Splatoon's wall X climbing feature and glad to see it utilized well.

One thing I'm struck by is that a map like Urchin Underpass is possibly only a third of Flounder Heights' size.

It just reinforces the fact that Splatoon developers were true to their word in adding more complex map designs as the community got better.

I really curious about the complexity of their final map added to Splatoon.

WALKMAN04

Let's see if I can remember them, there's Daboss, you, James, Ryechu, Goya, Smashley, Saro, Totakeke. I think Red was S+ but did he derank?
I didn't know totakeke made it so then I guess on my personal list I'm 3rd and 10th, I'm counting red since I'm counting myself twice after deranking

Violet_0

Banned
grats to the S+ rank (*again), WALKMAN and Saro
the last time playing TC in random ranked has made me take another break from the game after driving me mad, I didn't lose too many points but the sense of futility was overwhelming

Geg

I didn't know totakeke made it so then I guess on my personal list I'm 3rd and 10th, I'm counting red since I'm counting myself twice after deranking

I didn't know either until I checked my friend list on the Japanese splatoon site lol. I think that means there's someone I'm forgetting then

WALKMAN04

grats to the S+ rank (*again), WALKMAN and Saro
the last time playing TC in random ranked has made me take another break from the game after driving me mad, I didn't lose too many points but the sense of futility was overwhelming
I was forced to do the majority of my ranking up in rainmaker, so you can only imagine the stupid things people can do with the rainmaker. It was a very frustrating time but I got through it by listening to the peaceful credits music on squid beatz before every game, the only way I could keep myself sane lol

Vylash

okay i love flounder heights, also was trying to join private matches forever but couldn't get in, wish there was spectating

Anyone got any tips on basic Ranked gameplay? I've been watching videos of S+ players to get a feel for how they maneuver and aim, cause it feels like I must be doing something wrong when I'm constantly getting splatted by people I've been shooting even before they've noticed me.

(Sorry if it's been covered elsewhere in the thread)

Gsnap

Anyone got any tips on basic Ranked gameplay? I've been watching videos of S+ players to get a feel for how they maneuver and aim, cause it feels like I must be doing something wrong when I'm constantly getting splatted by people I've been shooting even before they've noticed me.

(Sorry if it's been covered elsewhere in the thread)

I'm no S rank (just a lowly A), but I'd say for me the most important thing is situational aware. Even more so than getting kills. Know the maps and how to get around them. Know when to go in and when to hang back. When an enemy dips into the ink, be able to tell where they're going based on the direction they were when they went into the ink. And try to watch their splashing (though that's a lot harder).

As far as killing enemies, that all depends on your weapons, and is more about raw skill. If the problem is that you can't kill people even when you get the jump on them, part of that may just be that they're really good (as soon as you get hit, you can duck into the ink and swim away if you're good enough), but it also just might be that you need practice. Just like anything, practice is the most important part.

And get hooked up to play with gaf. We've got good people who will beat the skill into you by killing you over and over until you learn how to stay alive. I'm in the middle of the learning process right now as well.

I'm no S rank (just a lowly A), but I'd say for me the most important thing is situational aware. Even more so than getting kills. Know the maps and how to get around them. Know when to go in and when to hang back. When an enemy dips into the ink, be able to tell where they're going based on the direction they were when they went into the ink. And try to watch their splashing (though that's a lot harder).

As far as killing enemies, that all depends on your weapons, and is more about raw skill. If the problem is that you can't kill people even when you get the jump on them, part of that may just be that they're really good (as soon as you get hit, you can duck into the ink and swim away if you're good enough), but it also just might be that you need practice. Just like anything, practice is the most important part.

And get hooked up to play with gaf. We've got good people who will beat the skill into you by killing you over and over until you learn how to stay alive. I'm in the middle of the learning process right now as well.

Thanks for the reply! I probably should get with Gaf, though I'm in Japan and play at night generally. Wonder if you guys are active then?

I can certainly see the point about being situationally aware as critical. Curious though - how do you guys usually tell where squids have gone once they dive into the ink? Is everyone's eyes just that good that you can actually see the little wave that displays? :O

Nico_D

Curious though - how do you guys usually tell where squids have gone once they dive into the ink?

I think that depends whether they are defensive or offensive players - do they withdraw or attack. Sometimes the direction of previous movement is enough, sometimes it is just luck.

Gsnap

Thanks for the reply! I probably should get with Gaf, though I'm in Japan and play at night generally. Wonder if you guys are active then?

I can certainly see the point about being situationally aware as critical. Curious though - how do you guys usually tell where squids have gone once they dive into the ink? Is everyone's eyes just that good that you can actually see the little wave that displays? :O

There's people playing at many hours of the day, so I'm sure you'll find time to hook up with some people. Someone linked our discord server earlier in the thread. People are on their almost 24/7.

Well, I'm sure some people are better at seeing the waves, but I'm not. But when somebody dives into the ink there's often a tell about where they went. If they dive left, you'll usually see them sort of moving in that direction before they dive. Though not always. And since they can only dive into their own color ink, depending on how the ink is spread you can logically conclude where they can and cannot have gone. Like if there's a trail of enemy ink leading behind you, and a trail leading off to the left, it's probably best that you check behind you to make sure that they didn't sneak around. Because if they went off to the left they ran away, but if they went behind you, you're dead. Of course, it's not that simple in a real match, but if you can't see the ripples, then you just have to make your best guess based on the layout of the stage and the ink and other factors.

@Nico_D and GSnap

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'm just really gonna have to work on that situational awareness for now. Got myself up to B99 last weekend then had a freefall to B37, and have been going back and forth all week.

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm the worst player in rainmaker. I just can't get the hang of it and tbh I don't think I ever really will.

New stage rotation and then this happens:

VBeIBDy.jpg

I've always preferred Marie but since 2.0 she's lobbing the insults a bit too much. I feel Treehouse has overdone it a bit. I wonder if her recent mean streak is also in the other versions?

Nico_D

Great games, thanks to Robotguy, Padwarrior and Quartz. Especially that one Splatzones comeback was really incredible - so amazing when you're sure you're losing. They really lost it when we kept pushing.

But Nintendo, please, get rid of that god awful color combination of red and cyan. Besides making my eyes hurt (really!), I can't see enemy move in it.

@Quartz: Good luck with that push to S! I'm trying too when Tower Control is on. It's just one match, how hard can it be with randoms?

edit: It's not cyan, it's purple. If it's any consolation, I hardly know colors in Finnish either.

Nico_D

Just a little while more and I can try the new stage.

I think it's one of the best already. I don't know if it's just novelty value but it's really complex in a nice way with multiple ways getting practically everywhere. Up the walls, behind the enemy lines.

Great games, thanks to Robotguy, Padwarrior and Quartz. Especially that one Splatzones comeback was really incredible - so amazing when you're sure you're losing. They really lost it when we kept pushing.

But Nintendo, please, get rid of that god awful color combination of red and cyan. Besides making my eyes hurt (really!), I can't see enemy move in it.

@Quartz: Good luck with that push to S! I'm trying too when Tower Control is on. It's just one match, how hard can it be with randoms?

Serious question, are you colour blind? The combo we were all complaining about was pink vs purple.

And my climb into S ended in sadness. :p

Wiseblade

New stage rotation and then this happens:

I've always preferred Marie but since 2.0 she's lobbing the insults a bit too much. I feel Treehouse has overdone it a bit. I wonder if her recent mean streak is also in the other versions?
She's dismissive in the EU script, but it's not quite as biting. "Big whoop." doesn't carry the same implication of contempt.

Robotguy

I'm playing zones in the mall and it's fine cause nobody really has any motivation to get into your base on zones. Rainmaker and tower control though? Yeah, no.

Nico_D

Serious question, are you colour blind? The combo we were all complaining about was pink vs purple.

Yeah. Pardon my French. I just came to think about it and it's actually purple and not cyan. Stupid idiotic foreigners, learn the language first.(<-- self irony)

Or as Zink deftly put it, "they are Europeans."

edit: And again, as it wasn't "cyan", it wasn't Jeff Vader either. Damn, I think I'm gonna shut up now.

Top Bottom