• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

Dammit, next rotation is tower control on arowana mall and flounder heights. I may just wait til tomorrow to try for A+ unless I can get a good squad together

Also the site is only showing this rotation and the next, not the one after. I guess because of Japan's splatfest?

Thank you, Rainmaker Flounder Heights!

Even if I cheesed it by camping in that alleyway, right side of spawn for the last minute with it for both games.

PFPR55C.png

noshten

I just played my first game on the new map, I'm loving it all that verticality and platforming is kinda of just awesome. This is what I really love about the multiplayer they need to have other aspects of the single player in maps. Make movement more important than just shooting. As a Charger you need to get up high but danger lurks everywhere. For Rollers this map will just be a bloodbath - there isn't another map that has so many places to hide in.

Thank you, Rainmaker Flounder Heights!

Even if I cheesed it by camping in that alleyway, right side of spawn for the last minute with it for both games.

That ain't cheese - players should react to those type of tactics and adapt to them. If they can't do that than obviously you have a legit strategy. Being sneaky is really important in Splatoon

Gsnap

So far my favorite thing about the new map is when you're on top of a structure and somebody starts shooting at you, so you jump off and while you're falling you shoot straight at the wall creating an instant path to get back into the fight without them even realizing it.

JonnyKong

Jeez Louise, one game away from ranking up and I get put with a team who instead of moving forward with me whilst I hold the rainmaker, actually turn around and start painting behind them WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

phanphare

Banned
Jeez Louise, one game away from ranking up and I get put with a team who instead of moving forward with me whilst I hold the rainmaker, actually turn around and start painting behind them WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

"don't go towards the goal, that's exactly what they'll be expecting!"

ChrisD

"don't go towards the goal, that's exactly what they'll be expecting!"

"And whatever I do, make sure I don't beat out their distance by making one more step forward; that's asking for death!"

I hate when all you have to do is beat their distance to win. It should be so easy. But it's... not.

ChrisD

Didn't know the Testfire was going. I popped in for two rounds just to screw around with the Charger (since I'm on their same level with it). I saw Rollers who never quit rolling, and three of the laggiest suckers I've ever seen. I'm talking lag enough to drive anyone away from buying the game. Hopefully nobody gets bad enough luck to run into that more than once so their experience isn't skewed.

Edit: did another. A laggy player and a troll on our side who got 5 points by hitting the same place behind the spawn to prevent any AFK kicks. This isn't going to help sell to anyone if there's more like them. :

I had that happen to me on Moray Towers. They didn't just paint though. We had a solid lead with a minute left. A teammate grabbed the Rainmaker and decided that instead of taking it forward, they would try to hide deep on our side. The carry timer elapsed (probably accelerated), they got splatted, and the enemy team overran us to get an easy knockout victory.

I can see taking it to the neutral area at the top of Saltspray Rig to keep it out of play when you have a lead but there is zero reason to take it closer to your goal.

Vecks

So you guys still use that chat website where the room expires every 24 hours? If so, what's the link?

Check the lower part of the 2nd post of this thread for the Discord app info. And the room doesn't expire every 24 hours. Originally the password did, but I think they changed it so it doesn't anymore.

Malus

Had a match in Walleye where I cleared most of the enemies and created a path through the middle, only to find the Rainmaker and co. struggling to make it through a side path before eventually losing it. Later I had the Rainmaker and while my team was clearing a way through the side path I ran into the middle and got slaughtered.

WE NEED A TEAM BUILDING EXERCISE

Azure J

Alright, what happened?

Horrible night, horrible day, horrible decision to play ranked because "everyone and the brother is a fucking god and S+ all of a sudden", horrible lack of a gameplan, horrible four splash wall 96 deco team, horrible flounder heights shenanigans, horrible GAF Team Bravo shitting on my head and then making a horrible set of decisions in the match where I was A+ 0.

All in all, a terrific situation.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Have one spot open in ranked with Azure and Blakstatus. We need to get Azure back to an A+.

Totakeke, robotguy and Sendou are partially responsible for that beat down they gave us on Flounder Heights

Horrible night, horrible day, horrible decision to play ranked because "everyone and the brother is a fucking god and S+ all of a sudden", horrible lack of a gameplan, horrible four splash wall 96 deco team, horrible flounder heights shenanigans, horrible GAF Team Bravo shitting on my head and then making a horrible set of decisions in the match where I was A+ 0.

LMAO. We were doing pretty good when we had DaBoss as our roller. Do we always want to take the Rainmaker on the side of Walleye Warehouse to their ramp?

Geg

There was that one cool match where you beat the SND guys though.

That's something.

:(

The .96 gal deco quadruple splash wall team was pretty funny though

Totakeke, robotguy and Sendou are partially responsible for that beat down they gave us on Flounder Heights
Sendou was on Azure's squad earlier in the day too! Then he turned traitor.

Azure J

LMAO. We were doing pretty good when we had DaBoss as our roller. Do we always want to take the Rainmaker on the side of Walleye Warehouse to their ramp?

Either we take it to their ramp then immediately platform up the box on the right and onto the upper lip of the stage and skip the pit right below their spawn or we come around from the rightmost block onto the metal walkway.

Ahnez

I'll finally be able to get my revenge for all that MK7, MK8, and KI:U abuse. *sniff sniff*

Grind harder! Its the best way to avoid being abused in KI:U lol

Also, I finally played Flounder Heights. Its awesome! But I have no idea what I was doing

So many paths lol

Crayolan

Got back from vacation today, new map is pretty cool.

Also I got a new unintentional outfit in my shops upon returning:
Ght9YKf.jpg

I call it the Chinese Take-out Employee-I mean stereotype.

Have one spot open in ranked with Azure and Blakstatus. We need to get Azure back to an A+.

I'll join up if you don't have someone already. I wanna try out ranked Flounder Heights before it disappears from the rotation, but I don't wanna risk my S already.

Me? I made sure to avoid others...eye track hax withstanding.
And you deserved those reverse triple reds. :p
You fuck THIS GAME Let the salt flow lol

Tips:

-Use damage ups with chargers. You can then OHKO with only partial charges.
-If you use a charger don't aim at somebody until you're ready to shoot. Otherwise they'll see the laser and run.
-Lag is a PITA brace yourself
-Jumping with rollers is highly recommend.
-And don't roll at people with rollers that's dumb, the flick is what makes rollers good, not the roll.
-Look for glitter to see if somebody has their special. This will help you avoid getting owned by krakens.
-In Turf Wars, only super jump if it's either to a beacon, you have stealth jump, you're jumping back to your base, or the enemy team is dead.
-You can cancel bomb throw animations into firing/flicks.
-Using 3 Defense Up mains is a good strategy. It also makes you a douchebag.

ffdgh

You fuck THIS GAME Let the salt flow lol

Tips:

-Use damage ups with chargers. You can then OHKO with only partial charges.
-If you use a charger don't aim at somebody until you're ready to shoot. Otherwise they'll see the laser and run.
-Lag is a PITA brace yourself
-Jumping with rollers is highly recommend.
-And don't roll at people with rollers that's dumb, the flick is what makes rollers good, not the roll.
-Look for glitter to see if somebody has their special. This will help you avoid getting owned by krakens.
-In Turf Wars, only super jump if it's either to a beacon, you have stealth jump, you're jumping back to your base, or the enemy team is dead.
-You can cancel bomb throw animations into firing/flicks.
-Using 3 Defense Up mains is a good strategy. It also makes you a douchebag.

Thanks!
I have no ****ing clue what i'm reading for most of this.
I'll admit I enjoyed running into other rollers and killing them/myself. I'm a horrid sniper

Thanks!
I have no ****ing clue what i'm reading for most of this.
I'll admit I enjoyed running into other rollers and killing them/myself. I'm a horrid sniper
You'll understand them when you get the game. lol

Also do single player first because some weapons not only require you to be at the right level but also require you to have beaten a certain boss. It will also improve your aim and movement. But here are some hopefully clearer roller tips:

-When you see enemy ink, flicking over it is a good idea to flush out enemies who might be hiding there. If you try to roll you'll sometimes get ambushed and die.
-There is a map called Blackbelly Skatepark. To the right of where you spawn there will be a halfpipe. That's where you use killer wails.
-Try to get the game before the Splatfest next Saturday. The skill level in those is mostly very low. You'll fit right in and earn Super Sea Snails to upgrade your gear.
-Walk into my roller.

But for the most part you throw Suction Bombs towards problematic people and flick things to death. Rolling's good for coverage but you should only do it when you feel safe since you're an easy target for good players when you roll.

EDIT: And of course you start with the Jr. and that's straightforward. Spray ink everywhere -> swim -> spray ink everywhere -> swim -> Pop bubbler for cheese KO -> spray ink everywhere -> swim etc.

Blues1990

I'm struggling to find the right abilities for my character build. I keep getting to 90, but after a nasty setback, I'm seriously considering revamping everything. Any tips?

aTIkTER.jpg

noshten

I'm struggling to find the right abilities for my character build. I keep getting to 90, but after a nasty setback, I'm seriously considering revamping everything. Any tips?

I tend to think that a lot of weapon/sub/special combinations require different game play and clothes on different maps and modes. To rank up you either adapt to the different maps/modes based on perhaps a few different weapons that work in that particular mode. I for example am not good with a charger in Rainmaker and know it would cause me to rank down, so I haven't played more than a few games with a charger in that mode. On tower defense I prefer to play charger or roller but as a roller tend to be doing a lot of supporting duties around the map with beacons and when needing to enter the fray I do. This is very different to how I play Splatzones/Rainmaker with Roller where I tend to vary from hyper aggressive or very sneaky depending on the match.
So overall I'd recommend you find what type of game play and weapons you prefer to play for each mode and how to adapt them to the mode in question. Different people have different preferences and a lot of weapons are viable it's all about you finding the right play style and gear to go along with it.

Some tips that might help:
- don't super jump to your suicide( if there is any enemy ink movement direction just walk)
- use beacons
- try to get an idea of what abilities opposition has as far as subs/gear abilities/specials
- always stay at least a few second after a kill awaiting someone to land, you refill your ink and possibly ambush someone with Ninja Jump
- try to never stand in front of a team mate
- if a krak-roller, e-liter, octobrush hair glows proceed with caution and keep your distance
- use walls to hide
- subs are a difference between wins and loses, so find the subs that best suit your playstyle.
- walls, mines and disrupter can be very scary on tower control
- tower moves faster the more people there are on it, after a teamwhipe go on the tower and hit "cmon"
- if using a gun making a path to escape is key - any close range combat against a roller is at the very least a trade
- you can try and super jump back to base or a team mate if you're running into a corner
- chargers can be used to cut of escape paths and not just sniping
- dynamos should only be approached from the back or sides and only while they are occupied
- cold blooded makes one special useless, thus I feel for any map that allows a lot hiding you can bet someone bought the Echolocation
- if you are dying a lot Comeback is a great ability especially coupled with Quick Respawn, sometimes you die the most but contribute to your teams success
- don't follow your whole team into a wipe situation - if one or two team mates die it's better to hide for a bit and ambush someone rather than die to them
- there is always natural born killers, who will play out of their minds certain games if someone in your room is doing this consistently don't stay in the room

Just snagged this today. Am I crazy for liking the motion controls?

I don't think you'd hear a bad word about gyro from any of the regulars, personally I love the control method for this game it's just intuitive. A lot of thought went into how to control best and gyro is like second nature once you get used to it.

Oh and fuck the motion controls. Garbage.

Everything else is an opinion and you know whatever but this flat out wrong - if you don't enjoy motion controls turn them off but in no way are they garbage. I'm sure there is a lot of good players that got to S+ without motion controls. Personally I cannot even imagine how people play without gyro.

braves01

Banned
Just snagged this today. Am I crazy for liking the motion controls?

I actually think most people (myself included) use the motion controls. I tried switching to stick but it seemed worse, like there's some inertia to aiming or something. IDK, point is prefer motion controls.

TI82

Banned
Finally got this today from the KMart price match. Thoughts:

Really great game with some really not so great problems.

Pros: Fun, quick gameplay. Matches are over before they get stale, now I've only played turf war so maybe this isn't true for the other modes.

Love the 90s motif. Very "rad" with the bright colors and silliness

Great music!

Funny characters and storyline so far

Cons: Aliasing, this is a problem with every Wii U game though

The level system is just... idiotic. two levels every couple hours? Really? So depending on my schedule I might not ever see all of the levels in the game?

framerate in inkopolis is just baffling, not much is going on there so why is it so bad?

Those ink sisters are the worst. Absolutely the 1000% worst.

Stability is a problem. My first match was cut short 10 seconds in because someone dropped out? Why didn't it migrate hosts? My second match I spent 5 minutes just waiting for a lobby to fill which is surprisingly long for a game with its sales. Other matches had random lag but it wasn't horrible.

Smash amiibos should unlock a little shirt or something for the characters, big missed opportunity

Oh and fuck the motion controls. Garbage.

Overall, I'm pleased with this game for $30. For $60 I would feel ripped off but for $30 its a good game. Not sure how the lasting effect will have on me, but so far I'm a fan. Love the roller especially. Not sure if I just got lucky but the player skill level also seems really low, for a literally brand new player to be consistently scoring #1 on winning team/in whole game is just... not good lol.

Here's a pic of me relaxing in inkopolis.

bart64

Banned
Oh no you didn't! It's funny becuase we all felt like this at first, but there are things you said that you will want to take back pretty soon.

Top Bottom