• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

I don't remember ever playing with very many Japanese players in MK8, it was mostly a wide spread of players around the world. I guess I never got good enough lol

Wtf is that inkling doing? It's so derpy lol.
You try dancing without bones.

Splatoon apparently requires a higher upload speed than other online games on the Wii U like Mario Kart 8 (this guy claims 0.6 Mbps).
If it is 0.6 Mbps upstream that is basically my problem (kicked from games but only since v2.0.0)...which hopefully will be behind me tomorrow when my connection gets upgraded to something on the scale of 30/10 (from 6/0.4).

Someone tell me that this guy got these abilities legitimately, because I refuse to believe it.
mcwuZNT.jpg

I have two pieces of gear with 3 of the same ability. I rolled them both during the same visit with Spike. It certainly is possible.

But are they brand affinity subs? That's the case being made here. Non-brand affinity triples are beyond rare... except if you're DaBoss. He has some black magic going on there.

Robotguy

I have two pieces of gear with 3 of the same ability. I rolled them both during the same visit with Spike. It certainly is possible.
Most gear has a preference for rolling a certain sub. For the preferential sub the odds of getting 3 of the same are about 1/27. Two of these items have nonpreferential subs with odds of somewhere around 1/4000. It's still possible, but your pretty unlikely to get that through legitimate means. Though, he does have higher chances of getting it if he ordered the gear.

Vecks

But are they brand affinity subs? That's the case being made here. Non-brand affinity triples are beyond rare... except if you're DaBoss. He has some black magic going on there.

My squid girl tunic is a triple special charge up and I only rerolled it once. Besides, maybe the guy has friends that he orders from every day. Spyke will eventually give in.

Robotguy

My squid girl tunic is a triple special charge up and I only rerolled it once. Besides, maybe the guy has friends that he orders from every day. Spyke will eventually give in.
Squid girl has I believe ~1/2700 odds of triple subs vs ~1/4000 for gear that has an affinity.
So this guys is still luckier than you. :p

Most gear has a preference for rolling a certain sub. For the preferential sub the odds of getting 3 of the same are about 1/27. Two of these items have nonpreferential subs with odds of somewhere around 1/4000. It's still possible, but your pretty unlikely to get that through legitimate means. Though, he does have higher chances of getting it if he ordered the gear.
Yeah, this is what I couldn't believe. I can barely get double brand affinity with re-rolls let alone triple non-brand.

Vecks

Squid girl has I believe ~1/2700 odds of triple subs vs ~1/4000 for gear that has an affinity.
So this guys is still luckier than you. :p

Yeah, I know. Just saying that you never know how the rerolls will turn out. Sometimes it just happens. Someone's bound to hit that 1/4000 every once in a while. And with the ordering system, you just need to be persistent with lucky friends.

And actually, if the odds for the preferred brands are 1/27, then I'm incredibly unlucky. I spend almost all my money and sea snails on rerolls and have only gotten it twice.

Robotguy

Yeah, I know. Just saying that you never know how the rerolls will turn out. Sometimes it just happens. Someone's bound to hit that 1/4000 every once in a while. And with the ordering system, you just need to be persistent with lucky friends.

And actually, if the odds for the preferred brands are 1/27, then I'm incredibly unlucky. I spend almost all my money and sea snails on rerolls and have only gotten it twice.
Spyke never delivers from my lucky friends. :(
I haven't been that persistent though.

ChrisD

6/1 with E-Liter Scope! Who cares if it's against randoms on Bluefin Depot, I'm a sucky sniper, so I'll take anything positive! \o/

ChrisD

RG's gold, right? Because that's the tackiest gun in the whole game and I don't care what's said. Silver > Gold any day.
Even in Animal Crossing, where Gold tools have better effects. But I ain't walking around with tacky gold!

RG's gold, right? Because that's the tackiest gun in the whole game and I don't care what's said. Silver > Gold any day.
Even in Animal Crossing, where Gold tools have better effects. But I ain't walking around with tacky gold!
RG's the gold one, yeah. lolRG, MG4lyfe

ChrisD

Callie: "staring into the ocean is so therapeutic"

Marie: "so is therapy..."

lol

Between that and the Pokemon reference for Moray Towers, I don't see how it's even possible to not be #TeamMarie.

Am I correct in assuming that the Custom E-Liter is the better training weapon just because you can't fall back on Splat Bombs?

Geg

If Marie were a real person she'd be impossible to be around due to the waves of negativity and cynicism emanating from her

Between that and the Pokemon reference for Moray Towers, I don't see how it's even possible to not be #TeamMarie.

Am I correct in assuming that the Custom E-Liter is the better training weapon just because you can't fall back on Splat Bombs?
If you want to practice pure sniping, I would recommend Kelp Charger or Kelp Splatterscope. You don't get any fancy bombs to save your ass in close combat, and you're using a Charger with Killer Wail, so you're basically all focused on long ranged combat.

ryechu

If you want to practice pure sniping, I would recommend Kelp Charger or Kelp Splatterscope. You don't get any fancy bombs to save your ass in close combat, and you're using a Charger with Killer Wail, so you're basically all focused on long ranged combat.
Yeah but the kelp chargers don't teach you how to e liter. I do think they are better weapons to start off with however.

ChrisD

I dub this Normal Stage rotation (Moray, Saltspray) the, "Find your IQ Test"

Do you not cover in the ramps on Moray before running head first into the Sniper's den? Do you not leave the bottom part of Saltspray the entire game and still manage to lose it in the end? Yay,, you're IQ isn't the good!

Geg

I dub this Normal Stage rotation (Moray, Saltspray) the, "Find your IQ Test"

Do you not cover in the ramps on Moray before running head first into the Sniper's den? Do you not leave the bottom part of Saltspray the entire game and still manage to lose it in the end? Yay,, you're IQ isn't the good!

Going back to having to play on Saltspray Rig with randoms during the second Splatfest after being spoiled by gaf was a fucking challenge

ChrisD

Going back to having to play on Saltspray Rig with randoms during the second Splatfest after being spoiled by gaf was a fucking challenge

I've never even played in a GAF lobby and this is still freaking ridiculous. Much worse than usual.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, as I've tried searching but my google-fu is failing me..

I'm having issues with disconnects ONLY when my friend tries to play on his Wii U at the same time(same house). If only one of us are playing the connection is solid with no issues.

Could it be the router that is failing, or are there any other options I could look into before tossing money at it?
Ideally one of you should become the host of the match, but I have no idea how the game selects the host (maybe it picks the fastest connection?).

If no one of you is hosting, then it makes sense. It doubles the upload requirements and that taxes slow connections. Post a result: www.speedtest.net

Also, try this: start a private match where one of you is the host. You should see zero disconnections, because all packets are routed locally (192.168.x.x LAN IPs).

You try dancing without bones.

If it is 0.6 Mbps upstream that is basically my problem (kicked from games but only since v2.0.0)...which hopefully will be behind me tomorrow when my connection gets upgraded to something on the scale of 30/10 (from 6/0.4).
You're doing yourself a huge favour (not just in Splatoon, unless you don't play other online games). Uncharted/TLOU MP also require at least 1 Mbps, or else you get the white plug of doom.

0.6 vs 10 Mbps upstream is night vs day.

mrmickfran

~Rainmaker in Bluefin depot~

*Times running out with enemy ahead in distance*

*I secure the rainmaker and the enemy's base is in my sight*

*ALMOST THERE!!!*

*Transforms into squid right above the metal fence, which leads me to my death*

*Leaves room in shame*

Ahnez

~Rainmaker in Bluefin depot~

*Times running out with enemy ahead in distance*

*I secure the rainmaker and the enemy's base is in my sight*

*ALMOST THERE!!!*

*Transforms into squid right above the metal fence, which leads me to my death*

*Leaves room in shame*

You should really be ashamed

No, I'm kidding :p

I managed to fall in the water more than 4 times today in triggerfish TC because I would try to jump on the tower while shooting (Using the Jet Squelcher, that drastically reduces your movement speed while shooting)

So its okay lol

So I'm playing Rainmaker on Underpass. Enemy team carries it just short of the metal mesh wall leading to the ramp up to the base. We splat them all and stop them. I was already on the ramps near the middle so I decided to start inking a path to their side, trusting my teammates to take out the shield and carry it forward and use the path I was making.

Well, they took out the shield... and then all three of them went out to the middle. Not one of them took the Rainmaker. It sat there for 15-20 seconds left behind. I had to go all the way back to our side and carry it. But by then they had already gotten themselves splatted and I was an easy target.

Needless to say, we lost. After that I think the randomness of Splatfest will be welcome.

Azure J

OK, so I finally bit the bullet and started a Restreamer account to stream to both twitch and YouTube.

Twitch Link
Youtube Link

Anyone want to be a dear and tell me if there's any audio/visual errors when I hop on the mic? I don't know how Restreamer handles audio between the two services.

Anony

3 game losses in a row and ranked down

1 was legit loss
1 unstable connection 10 secs into the game
1 3vs4 cuz someone else got d/c

fuck this game

I've been playing this game with friends for a while, but for some reason I haven't thought of playing with GAF. So, would anyone like to add me? :D I mostly play Turf War; Ranked got too frustrating for a while there. I also don't really have a set time I play, but I'm PST time zone if that helps.

I'll add my Nintendo ID to my profile on here right now.

I'mma try to be more active in this thread. I've never played with gaffers before, but it seems like you guys have a fun time in here.

just bought this and have been playing for like two hours, how do you unlock new stages? and what is that autobot event?

Stages rotate every 4 hours, the transformers event is splatfest, you vote for something, play during a 24hr period, and get rewards based on your performance.

J@hranimo

Banned
In roughly two hours there will be a Splatfest where you can choose a team and there will be a 24 hour rotation of Turf Wars on 3 maps. There's different music and the maps are at night. After the 2 hours are up depending on the rank you get you get these items called "Super Sea Snails" which helps you better your gear without spending 30K money on it.

That should cover it...also new weapons hype!

Luigi87

As I slowly work up through C-rank with Rainmaker, I already am noticing people who:
A. Think the game is still Turf Wars and are on the enemy territory spreading ink, ignoring the Rainmaker. (I understand clearing a path for the Rainmaker, but this wasn't, lol)
B. Get the Rainmaker and only focus on its weapon and not advancing it... When your team is behind in distance.

And then Callie and Marie interrupt my matches announcing the new weapons D=

Top Bottom