• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Luigi87

Up to B-! Thought I was gonna have another drop when I got into a 3v4, but the two Japanese players I was with just completely handled the enemy team. It may have well been 2v4 <_<

I feel like the time where I feel the need to use Super Jump, my Inkling is basically going "I regret nothing!"

StAidan

Disappointed in only 18 sea snails (Decepticons truly are the bad guys). Mostly use them to add slots to a bunch of my gear, but I decided to try my luck on rerolling with the last 5. And what do you know, I ended up with one of my long-wanted rerolls for my ranked loadout!

b1XB409.jpg

phanphare

Banned
Disappointed in only 18 sea snails (Decepticons truly are the bad guys). Mostly use them to add slots to a bunch of my gear, but I decided to try my luck on rerolling with the last 5. And what do you know, I ended up with one of my long-wanted rerolls for my ranked loadout!

based swim speed up

McNum

Been meaning to get back to Splatton for a while, so I randomly started back up yesterday only be met with a Splatfest. Huh, neat. I'm on Team Dancing, but I am not sure if I am credit to the team. Seems to lose more than win.

I'm looking at what's new in weapons and there sure are a lot of stuff. Inklings have miniguns now? So tempted to build up a defensive build and be Heavy Weapons Squid.

But currently rocking the NZAP89. I love the Sprinkler, and Inkstrike is okay, too. They kind of do the same thing, except getting kills with the Sprinkler is kind of unlikely. If there was a weapon that was Sprinkler/Bubbler, I'd get it, but... there isn't. It's interesting to see just how long the opponent team lets my Sprinklers be, though. They don't seem to realize that as long as it's going, I have claimed all that turf and they have to break it (or me) to not get their work undone. And I start every match by aiming down and tossing a Sprinkler at my feet. There, the spawn point is inked. Go.

Anything else that's good with a Sprinkler? I kind of want to see Saltspray rotate in soon... I get a feeling a Sprinkler on that crane is crazy-good for coverage. But it seems Splatfests lock in the maps.

Also, dinged level 10. Woo. That unlocks pretty much half the game right there, no?

McNum

they upped the level cap to 50 ;p
I noticed. But I mean 10 is where Ranked opens up as soon as the Splatfest ends. Maybe I should go do the Singleplayer bit. I'm getting some snails from this, I'd imagine, since I'm up to Dancing Defender, and might put in another hour, so getting that Octoling armor, if only for the looks, could be nice. Also got a par of shoes that rolled Swim Speed, Run Speed, Run Speed. That seems useful. One more +Speed of either kind and I'm going to be one fast Inkling.

Doorman

Been meaning to get back to Splatton for a while, so I randomly started back up yesterday only be met with a Splatfest. Huh, neat. I'm on Team Dancing, but I am not sure if I am credit to the team. Seems to lose more than win.

I'm looking at what's new in weapons and there sure are a lot of stuff. Inklings have miniguns now? So tempted to build up a defensive build and be Heavy Weapons Squid.

But currently rocking the NZAP89. I love the Sprinkler, and Inkstrike is okay, too. They kind of do the same thing, except getting kills with the Sprinkler is kind of unlikely. If there was a weapon that was Sprinkler/Bubbler, I'd get it, but... there isn't. It's interesting to see just how long the opponent team lets my Sprinklers be, though. They don't seem to realize that as long as it's going, I have claimed all that turf and they have to break it (or me) to not get their work undone. And I start every match by aiming down and tossing a Sprinkler at my feet. There, the spawn point is inked. Go.

Anything else that's good with a Sprinkler? I kind of want to see Saltspray rotate in soon... I get a feeling a Sprinkler on that crane is crazy-good for coverage. But it seems Splatfests lock in the maps.

Also, dinged level 10. Woo. That unlocks pretty much half the game right there, no?

they upped the level cap to 50 ;p

Doesn't mean that you're halfway to unlocking all of the weapons and so forth, but hitting level 10 does open up ranked mode and squads for you, so you're right in that you can start digging further into the real "meat" of the game now.

As for sprinklers, you seem to have the right idea of it already. Good enemies won't ignore them for long, so scoping out areas that make them a little harder to reach can help. They can also be handy as baits or used for misdirection, pulling an opponent's aim away from you long enough to get the drop on them.

Regiruler

Not playing because my console back home but holy shit that's a huge gap in wins for the NA splatfest. I don't think any other splatfest has had that big of a difference in wins yet.

Even under the old distribution, that would have been a clear win

Doorman

Boy the devs sure seem to like Flounder Heights, eh? I recall it still showing up in the rotation even after its introductory 24 hour period. It was in the splatfest yesterday, as soon as the splatfest ended it was back on Turf War. I checked in just after 9 this morning and it was on for Turf War again, and now it's on as part of the ranked rotation.

How many times since its introduction has Flounder not been one of the four potential maps? It just never seems to go away.

taparoo

Yeah I picked decepticon because I figured with them being "bad guys" a higher percentage of noob players would end up being autobots because they are simple minded and don't want to be "bad". Sorry if my logic offends =)

McNum

Doesn't mean that you're halfway to unlocking all of the weapons and so forth, but hitting level 10 does open up ranked mode and squads for you, so you're right in that you can start digging further into the real "meat" of the game now.

As for sprinklers, you seem to have the right idea of it already. Good enemies won't ignore them for long, so scoping out areas that make them a little harder to reach can help. They can also be handy as baits or used for misdirection, pulling an opponent's aim away from you long enough to get the drop on them.
I also use it when I come to a fork in the path and both sides need to be inked. Throw Sprinkler one way, go the other. All that matters, at least in Turf War, is that the ground is more my color than their color. I will of course splatter targets of opportunity, but I'll rather run and keep the Sprinkler going if you see me.

It's gonna come down to learning the maps well enough. As it should be for an arena shooter, really.

Anyone else tired of splatfests? I got a bunch of shells that are worthless to me since spyke never comes thru. and I don't get to keep the cool shirts (don't know why).

je_ssi e

Boy the devs sure seem to like Flounder Heights, eh? I recall it still showing up in the rotation even after its introductory 24 hour period. It was in the splatfest yesterday, as soon as the splatfest ended it was back on Turf War. I checked in just after 9 this morning and it was on for Turf War again, and now it's on as part of the ranked rotation.

How many times since its introduction has Flounder not been one of the four potential maps? It just never seems to go away.
Too bad they don't share the same love for Camp Triggerfish.
It hasn't appeared on the Turf War rotation in weeks!

Ulysses 31

Anyone else tired of splatfests? I got a bunch of shells that are worthless to me since spyke never comes thru. and I don't get to keep the cool shirts (don't know why).

If you really want to ensure to get a certain roll, have a decent amount of reroll money/shells and back up your game. Visit Spyke and you if you don't like the outcome, overwrite your game with the back up and try again. >.>

WALKMAN04

Not exactly the 99.99% win percentage I predicted for us decepticons, but it is a new record so I'll take it. I wish we could keep the shirts as well, especially since they are limited time only, I really liked the way they look and now we won't see them anymore, such a shame I've liked every Splatfest shirt I had so far.

Heng

Thanks...Japanese players are beyond what I can manage.

Back to turf war. /scrub
I wouldn't recommend giving up on a mode because it's overwhelming. Try to squad up with gaf members or join their private lobbies; you'll pick up some of their strategy if you play long enough and you'll probably get better advices after a few games. If you can do well in gaf room, you'll probably do just fine in random ranked modes.

Not exactly the 99.99% win percentage I predicted for us decepticons, but it is a new record so I'll take it. I wish we could keep the shirts as well, especially since they are limited time only, I really liked the way they look and now we won't see them anymore, such a shame I've liked every Splatfest shirt I had so far.
I think it would be pretty cool to let the winners of each splatfest keep their shirts as a trophy. It would make me actually want to participate in splatfest.

Luigi87

I swear if there was a counter for suicides self-destructs
It's a Nintendo game!
, mine would be pretty high due to Bluefin Depot.

Also I thought playing LoL made me salty (specifically self-mutterings, I don't call out other players), but sometimes Splatoon can make me really
sea
salty... Sleep helped!

Lucky rerolls, I tried getting 3 swim speed ups on those shoes, and all I got was this:
ouDxlRX.png

My escape tactics by faster swimming speeds and super jumps, ruined.

Someone doesn't read their sunken scrolls or play single player.
They are cousins and also given their grandfather is a cuttlefish they might not even be squids but Cuttlefish Cousins doesn't have the same ring as Squid Sisters.
That is true, but they're labeled as sisters in their music group, so it makes sense in the context for the sake splatfest, outside of it, nope, you're right then.

It's like Wario and Waluigi being labeled as the Wario Bros. despite the Mario games never saying that they are.

ChrisD

All of my Snails are going to be for opening slots. Not even spending three on re-rolls this time. I want a bigger wardrobe to choose from, one that isn't restricted to my select three slot items.

atr0cious

I hate Spyke so much, ruined my shoes. Today is gonna be one of the last days I play this game for a little bit. Gotta go wallow in TPP for a while. Hopefully the player pool will have evolved past aerosprays by the time I come back.

Geg

So yeah. Anyone with tips for me on how to deal with chargers with the custom jet?

Been having a lot of trouble with chargers lately when using the custom jet. Don't want to face them head on, but eventually I have to one way or another. I try to flank or strafe to avoid getting hit but that requires me to go the long way around either, which eats up time and I'm not succeeding often enough on ambushes. Requiring a Kraken every time I want to deal with a charger is impractical.

I go for high ground, I hide behind stuff and fire over it to hit with the arcing ink, I sometimes just trade and hope that frees up the pressure on the rest of my team.

With the dual squelcher when fighting against chargers I try to swap from stealthy to hyper aggressive on a dime. Wait for for them to fire a shot, then pop when I'm within range and don't stop pursuing them until one of us is dead. This should be easier for you as a jet squelcher because you can hit snipers on perches that I can't, though the slower fire rate may be a problem.

I don't really agree with ryechu when he says they're not good against chargers, I feel they're the perfect weapons for pressuring them. A lot of practice and skill at predicting when they're going to snap the laser to you and dodging shots helps a lot in head on fights.

Nico_D

Let's see now. Is that... wait... a fourth Splatfest win for me? Noooo... It can't be.

Well, I'm going to sing on my way to Spyke's now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Woo. Singing won! Shame I only got up to Champion as I was out all day. But at least my contribution was basically straight wins.

If you've ever been in a club you know most people can't actually dance whereas everyone loves singing in the shower. Using a nanogram of logic would have helped you pick the right team.

Ahnez

With the dual squelcher when fighting against chargers I try to swap from stealthy to hyper aggressive on a dime. Wait for for them to fire a shot, then pop when I'm within range and don't stop pursuing them until one of us is dead. This should be easier for you as a jet squelcher because you can hit snipers on perches that I can't, though the slower fire rate may be a problem.

I don't really agree with ryechu when he says they're not good against chargers, I feel they're the perfect weapons for pressuring them. A lot of practice and skill at predicting when they're going to snap the laser to you and dodging shots helps a lot in head on fights.

I agree with this.

The jet is my main weapon, and it can be very useful against chargers

To pressure chargers, you have to know very well your max range. Wait for them to shot and just then start shooting. But because of the very slow firing rate, you MUST NOT miss a single shot. Also, don't give away your position unless you're sure they are in your range

Five shots from the jet are still faster than a full chage from splat chargers or e-liters - the only chargers that can outrange you. Even if you also get splatted, you at least can reliably take them with you

Geg

lol Singing instantly beats the Decepticon's record for highest Splatfest win rate.

Damn you for conspiring against us sweet innocent chargers.

That might work. Or it might not. You are welcome to try.
A good charger can potentially be the deciding factor in whether their team wins or loses; taking you guys out is always priority #1.

Top Bottom