• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I'm on Team Dancing and have had an awful run today. Teams I've been on had just 1 win out of 13 matches and that one win was the only Dancing vs Dancing match. And it was totally one-sided. I've been playing well and helping the team but it isn't enough.

mrmickfran

Yes, the first match was Cats v Dogs. I didn't say Waterslides v Roller Coasters was the first match, I said it was the first one worldwide where the less popular team won. :p

In North America, it's been, in order:

Cats v Dogs
Waterslides v Roller Coasters
Marshmallows v Hot Dogs
Autobots v Decepticons

That was a case of "Popularity beating win rate". Dogs were more popular but lost the win rate to Cats, but the final results gave Dogs the win.

The only two times prior where the popular vote lost was Coasters vs Slides on July 17th and then North Pole vs South Pole on August 8th. Now Autobots vs Decepticons is the third.
Ahhh, I see, it all makes sense now.

Also, now I know why I missed that Splatfest, that was when I got my Vita :mad:

Nico_D

What I don't get is that there's a lot of Europeans playing Splatfest but I barely meet anyone of them during regular play. Where are they? Why don't I get matched with them?

J@hranimo

Banned
What I don't get is that there's a lot of Europeans playing Splatfest but I barely meet anyone of them during regular play. Where are they? Why don't I get matched with them?

I wish Splatoon showed what country/state you're from like Mario Kart does. I feel like US and EU players just blend in.

ChrisD

I'm ready to play some more tomorrow, I'm kind of scared. I haven't played a game as much as this since Monster Hunter. Have played every single day since the big update, so that's what... Twenty-six days straight? I can't even remember!

Nearly at Dancing King. Had some good teams this morning and a few Dancing vs. Dancing games so my gut feeling is popularity practically even singing wins by a few win %.

I had a hero moment where I managed to get the opponents to waste both a killer wail and an inkzooka and not take me down
a jet squelcher got me though.

Hey european gaffers, was one reason you chose dancing because of the title being Dancing Queen, like that song by Abba?
If they had followed the localisation convention of previous splatfests it would have been eternal dancing girl.

The question is when it will happen, and what will happen if they vote for the other sister, Callie's Team Marie vs Marie's Team Callie?
Someone doesn't read their sunken scrolls or play single player.
They are cousins and also given their grandfather is a cuttlefish they might not even be squids but Cuttlefish Cousins doesn't have the same ring as Squid Sisters.

And here we go again...

These Japanese lobbies are making me nauseous. Is there, like, an official place where I can tell Nintendo that we need region based lobbies? Cuz this shit is fucking infuriating.
You should have been on my old connection if you wanted experiance high latency doom. It really feels like a whole new game now that I don't have to snipe rollers at the edge of the .96 gal range to not be killed by their phantom rolling.

Jintor

Splatfests are so relaxing. Switch to aerospray and endlessly run rings around poor noobs after the hell gauntlet that is s-rank and above

So yeah. Anyone with tips for me on how to deal with chargers with the custom jet?

Been having a lot of trouble with chargers lately when using the custom jet. Don't want to face them head on, but eventually I have to one way or another. I try to flank or strafe to avoid getting hit but that requires me to go the long way around either, which eats up time and I'm not succeeding often enough on ambushes. Requiring a Kraken every time I want to deal with a charger is impractical.

I go for high ground, I hide behind stuff and fire over it to hit with the arcing ink, I sometimes just trade and hope that frees up the pressure on the rest of my team.

Hackworth

I'm on Team Dancing and have had an awful run today. Teams I've been on had just 1 win out of 13 matches and that one win was the only Dancing vs Dancing match. And it was totally one-sided. I've been playing well and helping the team but it isn't enough.
Team Dancing is trash tier
and it took me all day to become the Dancing Queen, young and sweet etc.

jepense

I had a really nice splatfest last night on team dancing. Initially I was in a fairly good team and we won maybe 3/4 games. Then after a while ended up in a team with one player who was much better than me and two bad players, and we lost quite a few matches. Then in the end I got in a very good team. We had a nice distribution of weapons and played our roles correctly. We completely shut down the opponents at least 4 games in a row.

ryechu

So yeah. Anyone with tips for me on how to deal with chargers with the custom jet?

Been having a lot of trouble with chargers lately when using the custom jet. Don't want to face them head on, but eventually I have to one way or another. I try to flank or strafe to avoid getting hit but that requires me to go the long way around either, which eats up time and I'm not succeeding often enough on ambushes. Requiring a Kraken every time I want to deal with a charger is impractical.

I go for high ground, I hide behind stuff and fire over it to hit with the arcing ink, I sometimes just trade and hope that frees up the pressure on the rest of my team.

i dont think squelchers are good against chargers besides the squiffer and maybe the bamboozler, at least not head on. You can pick off perched splat chargers and e liters after they've fired their shot at something else but they will always win in a frontal battle. Burst bombs are also good at high ground chargers but dont get into an alleyway where a charger can peek shot you. Its pretty satisfying to lob two burst bombs directly on top of a chargers head and kill them.

There were so many...bad....players. It made me question whether they were kids that never got better or just regular players that never got better lol.

I feel that describes the EU Splatfest right now, after getting disconnected from my really good team halfway through the final rank I ended up having to grind the last 60 points out 2 at a time because we lost every single game after that. It was absolutely hopeless, every Dance team was all level 35-45 players that were perfectly synced, every Sing team averaged below level 20 and didn't even attempt to ink ground.

There is only so many times you can stare at the final map to see 3 teammates in the enemy base and the only ground inked being what you'd managed to scrape in the last 30 seconds yourself. I never again want to get max Splatfest rank.

Jintor

EU Splatfests:

- Australians lag the fuck out
- Doesn't matter because opposing team almost always gets steamrolled
- I won 15 matches in a row just causally aerospraying around and not bothering with anything like 'tactics' or 'using my special much'

Going through the 2015 Nintendo Company guide I noticed something:
nintendo_company_guide_2015_42.JPG

We could have known months ago about the inkling flat feet :(

In other news Splatfest done and I got my first three identical subs:
WVW69iVysew_uk2b7_

Flair was around +11 so not the greatest of win ratios. 18 or 22 shells is the important part.

NotLiquid

I'm starting to feel that the comfortable majority of these Splatfests are usually the ones that lose the most.

In which case Team Singing is fucked.

Nico_D

There is only so many times you can stare at the final map to see 3 teammates in the enemy base

Yes! Yes! This exactly!

Like what the fuck are they doing there? Are they asking for a medal for getting there? All around the map there's wrong colored ground and they just want to stay at the enemy base fighting.

Jintor

the problem is all of your teammates are thinking "oh yeah we gotta hold enemy to spawn everybody else will cover the rest"

Wow, the results of the NA Splatfest went completely opposite my predictions. The headcount in my plaza through the day ended up being 201 Decepticons - 180 Autobots. (admittedly I started counting those but realized that would skew the numbers - not that it mattered here). That's not counting me or the players from my previous match. And then this was the first Splatfest where I had a losing record. In previous ones I'd have at least a 2 to 1 Win-Loss ratio (sometimes close to 3). This time it was just under 50%.

GGs though, Autobots!

Nico_D

the problem is all of your teammates are thinking "oh yeah we gotta hold enemy to spawn everybody else will cover the rest"

Oh shit! So I was the one who fucked up for not first killing all four of them alone - along with possible beakons - so my eternally wise team mates could hod them hostage at the spawn.

Dammit! When will I learn?

NotLiquid

The Bamboozler feels like it drains ink faster than the Splattershot Pro. Fun weapon though.

Also I switched over to an Inkling Boy for the first time ever. What is this sensation

Jintor

Oh shit! So I was the one who fucked up for not first killing all four of them alone - along with possible beakons - so my eternally wise team mates could hod them hostage at the spawn.

Dammit! When will I learn?

gotta develop those psychic powers brah

really though your teammates gotta learn map awareness

And yet they never realise that they're not actually spawn killing anyone since they left two dudes to run wild and everyone is super jumping to them...

Razmos

The amount of lag in this splatfest is ridiculous. Also a crap ton of connection errors that keeps kicking me out of the lobby

Rize_21

If you want to pass a Splatfest in a breeze, join Marie.
If you want to have a lot of headaches, hate everyone and your cat, join Callie.

Razmos

When does the EU splatfest actually end? Feels like it jsut keeps going on lol
In about 4 and half hours. It only lasts 24 hours.

Anyway, 5 or 6 failed attempts to get into a match due to connection errors, I finally get in one just for one of my teammates to disconnect after about 30 seconds and then it was just a match of us getting rolfstomped. Fun!

In about 4 and half hours. It only lasts 24 hours.

Anyway, 5 or 6 failed attempts to get into a match due to connection errors, I finally get in one just for one of my teammates to disconnect after about 30 seconds and then it was just a match of us getting rolfstomped. Fun!
Yo thanks, I thought it had already been on for a few hours when I joined yesterday but it seems like I actually joined at the start.

rrs

Cool, the team I picked won for once. Sadly didn't get much for points due to having losing connection for no reason and paired against level 30s while not being so level 30

A reconnect option would be very nice, nintendo

Razmos

On like a 6 match losing streak now. Dancing is definitely going to win for matches won, judging from how piss poor my teammates usually are and how the other team seems to always have the lag advantage.

I'm starting to feel that the comfortable majority of these Splatfests are usually the ones that lose the most.

In which case Team Singing is fucked.
If you think about it a perfect player in a perfect team will take around 40 matches to max out while a weak player could take nearly 100 (if not more due to failing the 400p inked sympathy points) so weak players will be around for longer.

That does make some assumptions such as when does the perfect team start playing (and thus finish).

braves01

Banned
0-1, had to go autobot

And I spent most of my time screwing around with different guns and gear I'm not comfortable enough with to use in ranked. I guess I was part of the problem, lol.

Heng

...Any tips on splat zones? This is a headache.
Don't die inside the splat zones is the most important tip. Inking area around the splat zone is also really useful because it gives you mobility and can help you easily tell where the enemies are coming from. Don't just try to hold the splat zones, try to hold areas that give you advantages, like the upper area of Saltspray or the sides of Warehouse.

Staying alive is the most important thing, the only way I would say dying is appropriate is either killing someone with good killing power (dynamo rollers come to mind) and try not to trade unless you have more teammates around the splat zone than they do. Another good reason to risk your life is if the time is about to run out and you have to paint the zone to get into overtime. That said, killing people should be your #1 priority if you're holding the zone.

Too often have I seen my teammates try to cover the zone while the enemy is also ink the zone, and even worse, they tried to out paint a sprinkler instead of destroying it. Do not ignore sprinklers; find a good place to take it out that would make it hard to sneak up on you and then take it out. You may fall into their trap if you try to destroy it standing out in the open.

Do not expect to have competent teammates. If you see a beacon on your map, take it out yourself. This applies to enemies trying to flank you guys as well. If you depend on your team to do that, then you should prepare to lose. If you have competent teammates, they'll see you going after the beacons or flanking enemies and will decide to hold your area. Also watch your map during downtime, try to see if there's any beacons on the map or where enemies are trying to push their way towards the zone. You can either flank them or take them head on.

Doorman

Yooooooooooo I finally woke up and checked the splatfest results and I was quite surprised! Way to go, evil brethren. I think I eventually wound up with a positive win/loss, but it wasn't some massive number so I don't feel like it was much of a contribution.

Totally anecdotal, but I think in large part this might have come down to some of the high-level Decepticon players simply wanting the win more. During my later matches of the night I was bumping into quite a few people who were already Decepticon Queen/King rank that were still playing, while it seemed like only a couple of Auto Q/Ks stuck around. I think anyone on Team Decepticons kinda knew we'd lose out on the popular vote so it provided some extra motivation to gun for a high winning percent.

I assumed that popularity would win out in the end with this one, but I'm glad it didn't. Perfect splatfest record remains intact!
Now to blow all these snails on crappy re-rolls.

DaBoss

Not surprised to see Decepticons win this by the biggest win percentage gap in a Splatfest ever. It really felt like Decepticons were stronger overall.

I wonder when an NA Splatfest will have the most popular team with a higher win percentage. That has happened at least once in the other regions' Splatfests.
3-1 for me now.

Dogs/Slides/Mallows/Decepticons.
This is my exact same line of thinking.
Me too!

Razmos

So, when are we gonna be able to buy Callie and Marie's outfits?

Or do you think those will be the rewards for level 55-100? :p

On like a 6 match losing streak now. Dancing is definitely going to win for matches won, judging from how piss poor my teammates usually are and how the other team seems to always have the lag advantage.

I did my entirety of ranking up with only 5 losses, so yeah. Go team dancing >:)

Ahnez

We won yay

Well, just got 4 loses in a row and ranked down to B, and then won 4 times in a row, going back to B+

That doesn't feel balanced at all lol

So, when are we gonna be able to buy Callie and Marie's outfits?

Or do you think those will be the rewards for level 55-100? :p

Imagine the madness to reach level 100 lol

if they keep the +24p / level, kevel 99 -> 100 will be 1920p

And 66600 for 50 -> 100, while 20 -> 50 is 11160

Who needs a social life after all

Top Bottom