• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

McNum

Question... Are those "SQUID GIRL" items what I think they are? They look familiar. It's gotta be a crossover with that Squid Girl manga, right?

On a related note, I got the dress and the shoes of that, but I don't think I'll be using the dress since I just got a shirt with Ninja Squid. Need the hat still... The shoes on the other hand, I just gave Spyke one of my Splatfest snails. Three slots now, hoping to roll Swim Speed, but it's 10000 points away. I'll go for nearly anything, though, the shoes are great as-is.

So, I want to ask about Ninja Squid, because if it's as good as it feels like, then it's pretty sweet. Squid, break line of sight. Gone. Except if they have the gear explicitly to counter it. It's a great get out of danger equipment, which is important when I'm running a Sprinkler strategy. If I die, it dies, and we give up territory.

Offensively, I can use it to set up Sprinklers everywhere that I can reach from my own color ink, something that's awesome if the spot I need to go is quite exposed, like the center boxes in Walleye Warehouse. Why do people let a Sprinkler sit on top of those? Don't people look up? As contested as that floor is, it just gives me free Inkstrikes unless they destroy it... Honestly, if I saw an enemy Sprinkler there and I have Inkstrike, I'm nuking it. There is no such thing as overkill to get rid of one of those.

NotLiquid

Question... Are those "SQUID GIRL" items what I think they are? They look familiar. It's gotta be a crossover with that Squid Girl manga, right?

Yep

tumblr_nso57zpuxW1u3akyno2_1280.jpg

So, I want to ask about Ninja Squid, because if it's as good as it feels like, then it's pretty sweet. Squid, break line of sight. Gone. Except if they have the gear explicitly to counter it. It's a great get out of danger equipment, which is important when I'm running a Sprinkler strategy. If I die, it dies, and we give up territory.

It got hit by a pretty big nerf so while it's still good for approaching and behind-the-scenes stuff it's really not that great for retreating. Ink Resistance + Ninja Squid used to be one of the only straight up flawless combinations in the early meta and dominated so many loadouts.

McNum

Awesome. I'm gonna go for the full set, just because it's there. I actually saw the hat earlier today, but I had already placed my Spyke order for the day. I'll get it later.

It got hit by a pretty big nerf so while it's still good for approaching and behind-the-scenes stuff it's really not that great for retreating. Ink Resistance + Ninja Squid used to be one of the only straight up flawless combinations in the early meta and dominated so many loadouts.

I did notice some people still saw me. What DO people see when they see a Ninja Squid? It nullifies the ripples, right? I take it that jumping and big splashes are still visible, though. Seems like they should be.

I did notice some people still saw me. What DO people see when they see a Ninja Squid? It nullifies the ripples, right? I take it that jumping and big splashes are still visible, though. Seems like they should be.

Jumping and swimming up walls are still visible. It won't protect you from echolocator, either.

They see what you see.

Ahnez

Awesome. I'm gonna go for the full set, just because it's there. I actually saw the hat earlier today, but I had already placed my Spyke order for the day. I'll get it later.

They see exactly what you see

It only allows you to swim without causing the ripples

And yes, the squid girl costume is awesome! Even the boy can use it lol

McNum

Jumping and swimming up walls are still visible. It won't protect you from echolocator, either.

They see what you see.
They see exactly what you see

It only allows you to swim without causing the ripples

And yes, the squid girl costume is awesome! Even the boy can use it lol
Good to know. "Your opponent sees exactly what you do" is the reasonable assumption, so that's nice that it actually is like that.

So it's not a must have, but until I get something else, it's a nice to have thing. I'll keep my seasnails for something else, then.

The Squid Girl dress is +Damage, though. I don't do a lot of direct fighting, so while fun, it doesn't suit my current loadout. I could get the minigun, though... +Run Speed from the shoes, +Damage from the dress. Heavy Weapons Squid Girl might actually work... Hmm...

Okay. Seriously.

Saltspray Rig is the worst effing map in any multplayer game I've played. This thing needs a redesign like yesterday.

I don't know which is worse the map or the dumb$(*$@(* squids I get teamed up with who've managed to make it to level 30, but are too stupid to realize YOU NEED THE TOP PART.

: head desk :

Luigi87

Okay. Seriously.

Saltspray Rig is the worst effing map in any multplayer game I've played. This thing needs a redesign like yesterday.

I don't know which is worse the map or the dumb$(*$@(* squids I get teamed up with who've managed to make it to level 30, but are too stupid to realize YOU NEED THE TOP PART.

: head desk :

Yeah, during Splatfest, just... yeah...
Future boxes of Splatoon should probably have a sticker on them indicating the need to focus on the upper section of Saltspray.

McNum

Future boxes of Splatoon should probably have a sticker on them indicating the need to focus on the upper section of Saltspray.
The upper section you mention is the one with the shipping containers and crane, right? Seems so obvious that this big flat area is the kingmaker of the round. Win that, and you have a huge advantage as long as you don't lose everything else.

The thing that bugs me, is even if you do know that...you basically spend 3 minutes defending that middle platform. So, it's just boring as all hell. The map is shit tier. It makes me long for Arowana Mall. That's got a massive choke point too, but you still have some flanking routes. With Saltspray, you have none, really.

I know I've bitched about this enough, but man I wish they balanced teams based on weapons a bit. I use the Aerosrpay and was on a team with three E-liters. The other team had four rollers. The game knows what weapons you're using since you can't change them without exiting completely, so why can't they balance things just a bit better?

The upper section you mention is the one with the shipping containers and crane, right? Seems so obvious that this big flat area is the kingmaker of the round. Win that, and you have a huge advantage as long as you don't lose everything else.

Right. Instead, people seem to focus on that stupid patch near spawn. You're never going to hold that an entire match. You don't need to hold it. You need the middle and upper section. where all the crates are. People who have obviously invested time in the game should know this by now. This is the oldest map. It's the one we had in test-fires.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I'm a little drunkish at the moment.

Geg

I love defending the middle & top area on Saltspray, that's where I'm really in my zone. As long as we can get control if it I can just chill out and kill anyone who makes it through my teammates.

J@hranimo

Banned
Rerolled that Defense Up Takaroka hat.

Got 3x Bomb Range Up.

Jahra told me to keep so I am. So 2x snails to upgrade it and then one more to reroll its godawful sub distribution. I guess I'm satisfied with this use of my snails.

*Thumbs up*

Yeah like I always keep any 3 sub ability gear cause the RNG is unforgiving. You never know when that may be the combination for a loadout in the future.

Luigi87

The thing that bugs me, is even if you do know that...you basically spend 3 minutes defending that middle platform. So, it's just boring as all hell. The map is shit tier. It makes me long for Arowana Mall. That's got a massive choke point too, but you still have some flanking routes. With Saltspray, you have none, really.

I know I've bitched about this enough, but man I wish they balanced teams based on weapons a bit. I use the Aerosrpay and was on a team with three E-liters. The other team had four rollers. The game knows what weapons you're using since you can't change them without exiting completely, so why can't they balance things just a bit better?

You are definitely right about that.
Though I was burning out on it during Splatfest...

McNum

Just curious, if you have all of the upper area and none of the rest, expect your spawn area, do you win?

Also, just had a funny idea. If I can toss a Sprinkler juuuust right, I can steal the enemy spawn area if I time it right...

Robotguy

For anyone that is interested GAF team NSTC has made it to losers round 6 in Booyah Battle, which is apparently top eight.
(dunno how this double elim stuff works, lol)
Currently awaiting our next opponents.

Still loving the Nozzlenose D. I think I might switch back to using the regular one for Tower Control, because I think disruptors and wail work well against people on the tower/heading to the goal, but I have a new main for Turf War now.

Anyway, yeah, I think Saltspray has slowly devolved into my least favorite map for Turf War now. I like the vertical aspects of it, but it is the only map I can think of where you can ignore huge parts of it and still win. It really is like an unofficial Splat Zone.

ffdgh

Just curious, if you have all of the upper area and none of the rest, expect your spawn area, do you win?

Also, just had a funny idea. If I can toss a Sprinkler juuuust right, I can steal the enemy spawn area if I time it right...

Probably not a guaranteed win but it's still around 90%.
And Yeah you can toss a sprinkler up there....with a suicide jump lol.

ryechu

Still loving the Nozzlenose D. I think I might switch back to using the regular one for Tower Control, because I think disruptors and wail work well against people on the tower/heading to the goal, but I have a new main for Turf War now.

Anyway, yeah, I think Saltspray has slowly devolved into my least favorite map for Turf War now. I like the vertical aspects of it, but it is the only map I can think of where you can ignore huge parts of it and still win. It really is like an unofficial Splat Zone.

I'm fine with it being similar to splatzones. The problem is the northern area has only one entrance. I'd imagine agasint an organized team, getting past the T shaped block (which isnt necessary to gain control of the splatzone), would be nearly impossible if the enemy is guarding the north.

I don't have much experience vs Nozzlenose so I lose a lot of the 1v1s i've been in against them lately. I need to understand that it has a longer reach than my Octoshot.

*Thumbs up*

Yeah like I always keep any 3 sub ability gear cause the RNG is unforgiving. You never know when that may be the combination for a loadout in the future.
Triple Defense Up is the shit, and Bomb Range Up is the shit, and this hat's look are the shit, so I'm actually growing to really like this hat. It's also my first perfect hat in general.
Probably not a guaranteed win but it's still around 90%.
And Yeah you can toss a sprinkler up there....with a suicide jump lol.
Yeah, general strat for the last 30 seconds or so is:

-If you have the top: Have a couple people stay there to stop an invasion, have a couple others go spread some ink.
-If you don't have the top: Paint everything else but the top and then go for a last-second push to get the win.

But the first strat is much easier to pull off with random teammates so it's the preferred situation to be in.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

You didn't get the memo?

Saltspray is now officially called The Salts

I think it's time for a Splatoon break.

My boyfriend just came in from work to find me banging my head against my Gamepad and screaming "You mutha effing squids. Take the mutha effing top witcha g-d roller scrub self."

I lost a match. I had three rollers who managed 440p between the three of them.

Not my proudest moment.

Geg

James, Robotguy, Walkman, and Master A1 made it to like the top 5 or 6 in the booyah battle tournament before being eliminated, good job guys

Jims

Spent my Splatfest snails. Ended up just rolling a bunch of stuff once or twice, trying to settle on doubles. Spyke was actually pretty kind for once and gave me 2 triples. Pilot Goggles and Camo Zip Hoodie. Now up to a big whopping 3 triples.

HQoE0XX.jpg

I legitimately don't know what to do with the Pilot Goggles, though. What goes well with running and throwing bombs really far? When are you ever just walking forward and throwing bombs? Maybe Slosher + Burst Bombs? The new Nozzlenose + Burst Bombs?

Just use that entire set with anything with a throwable bomb because it would both work well and oh my god that set looks so. Fucking. Amazing.

Doorman

James, Robotguy, Walkman, and Master A1 made it to like the top 5 or 6 in the booyah battle tournament before being eliminated, good job guys
Congrats to NSTC for the good performance. The matches against SS-S were all pretty frantic and fun to watch.

Spent my Splatfest snails. Ended up just rolling a bunch of stuff once or twice, trying to settle on doubles. Spyke was actually pretty kind for once and gave me 2 triples. Pilot Goggles and Camo Zip Hoodie. Now up to a big whopping 3 triples.

I legitimately don't know what to do with the Pilot Goggles, though. What goes well with running and throwing bombs really far? When are you ever just walking forward and throwing bombs? Maybe Slosher + Burst Bombs? The new Nozzlenose + Burst Bombs?

Technically you get less of a return on the burst bombs with ink saver (since it works as a percentage of ink saved and burst bombs already have the lowest ink-usage for a sub), but that set looks like it'd work really well with either version of Nozzlenose. I love chucking disruptors around to throw off people's mobility and allow you to get yourself into the L-3's optimal range. Might work decently for the Tentatek/Octoshot too if you like using suction bombs to help redirect enemy movements and still have enough ink to shoot.

DaBoss

2.1.0 is coming out soon, but from the Japanese tweet/machine translation it looks like it's all just bug fixes: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index.html
Seems like they're fixing both the Arowana Mall left hallway wall glitch and the Camp Triggerfish middle jump. I wonder if they fixed the Arowana Mall tree glitch.
...I have no idea what i'm doing on towers for turf war...
I can't imagine what it is like for you. You have to take this all in at once while most of us who have been playing since launch have gradually played through it all.

Geg

2.1.0 is coming out soon, but from the Japanese tweet/machine translation it looks like it's all just bug fixes: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index.html

They're fixing both the Arowana Mall bug that lets you get up to the enemy's side through the impassable wall, and making it so it's impossible to jump to the enemy's side in Camp Triggerfish. I wonder if that's why it's been missing from turf war and splat zones recently. But if that were the case they'd take out arowana mall too

RedFyn

They're fixing both the Arowana Mall bug that lets you get up to the enemy's side through the impassable wall, and making it so it's impossible to jump to the enemy's side in Camp Triggerfish. I wonder if that's why it's been missing from turf war and splat zones recently. But if that were the case they'd take out arowana mall too
Well its not as big of an impact on mall as it is on camp.

Had rainmaker been on mall? That's the only one that's heavily impacted.

ffdgh

Seems like they're fixing both the Arowana Mall left hallway wall glitch and the Camp Triggerfish middle jump. I wonder if they fixed the Arowana Mall tree glitch.

I can't imagine what it is like for you. You have to take this all in at once while most of us who have been playing since launch have gradually played through it all.

It's a process. A very painful process full of falling to my death a few times.

Top Bottom