• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

EulaCapra

Been trying to use the brush weapons lately, but I just can't get the hang of it. I think one problem is that I'm not sneaky enough, cause sometimes I pounce as soon as I see someone even though I'm not close enough.

Does anyone have any tips for being a speedy brush ninja?
Hit and run and tap ZR as fast as you can! Seriously, run for your life if you're spotted and you think you'll be outranged. Just circle back and try again. And zigzag for your life! Never go in straight lines when inking. Most chargers will have a hard time far away or closeup getting a kill shot. I'm usually the one to make a suicide path and sneak attack the snipers later on.

You can try to pop out of your ink and strike when the enemy gets close, but most of the time, I keep my distance and make sure the enemy are distracted shooting at something else and then I gun it and strike from behind or their side.

atr0cious

Been trying to use the brush weapons lately, but I just can't get the hang of it. I think one problem is that I'm not sneaky enough, cause sometimes I pounce as soon as I see someone even though I'm not close enough.

Depending on the brush, you really have to know your exit strategy. Practice swinging before transitioning into a roll for a fast get away. It's the difference between good and great brush users.

correojon

The most important thing is to know your range. If an enemy spots you outside your range don´t try to attack him, take a detour and make him loose sight of you so you can close the distance and attack unseen. A few times I´ve been able to zig zag around an opponent in an open space and get him, but if the opponent is any good you will fail more times than win.

Always know how much ink you have before running, you don´t want to start crossing through and enemy controlled area only to get stuck in the middle of it with no ink.

Run away: brushes are great to create chaos, so if an enemy is giving you trouble just run away. You may get another chance to get him but anyway he´ll loose some time trying to find you. It´s much better for the team that you run away and continue creating chaos than to die in a double splat because you pushed too much.

Don´t underestimate the power of the brush in high places: Moray Towers, the appartments, the catwalks at Kelp Dome are all great places to use height to your advantage, both to spread ink in a wide area or to get some kills. Also, throwing ink above obstacles and walls works sometimes.

Good luck, it´s a somewhat tricky weapon to master but it´s really really fun once you do.

B_Bech

Remember brushes are stealth and support weapons. While they are great at killing--especially the octobrush-- you aren't going to have a good time if you constantly attack from the front. It's good to get the jump on enemies, sometimes literally. Also, if you see an area covered in enemy ink, you better not jump right in. Despite your mobility, you always need to have an escape route if you are pinned down. If you use the Octo, a DMG UP main ability is handy, and ink resistance is invaluable. Ink saving/refilling abilities are a boon, as well as swim speed.

Rize_21

Another cool video by Whitehawke, it's mostly custom e-liter and some octobrush gameplay during the US Splatfest, really enjoyed his explanations and learned some new tricks too.

NotLiquid

CNuqSHVUYAA2M7p.jpg

Officially licensed Squid Charms! They're releasing in December and are already up for pre-order on AmiAmi.

Another cool video by Whitehawke, it's mostly custom e-liter and some octobrush gameplay during the US Splatfest, really enjoyed his explanations and learned some new tricks too.
I never considered a beacon could be used as I am trying to destroy it. Maybe I should leave those to bombs or sprinklers.

The Port Mackrel strategy was also good.

correojon

I never considered a beacon could be used as I am trying to destroy it. Maybe I should leave those to bombs or sprinklers.

The Port Mackrel strategy was also good.

When I die I always check my beacons to see if an enemy is headed towards one. If so I wait a bit before jumping there, so the enemy can destroy it and go on. That way when I land I can surprise him.

Also, when I jump to a beacon I instantly put down another one in the same exact spot, so if the enemy is looking at the map they won´t see someone has jumped there. This is not necessary most times, but helps a lot when you place beacons next to the enemy base or in hot zones.

Geg

Yeah usually I'll try to jump to a beakon before they get to it if I see an enemy heading to destroy one, but sometimes I misjudge the time it'll take to get there and I'll get there while they're still shooting it and die. Intercepting them before they reach it usually only works against rollers. Otherwise, yeah, jumping to one right after the enemy destroys it is usually a good way to ambush them, because most people just leave after they've destroyed it.

One person did surprise me during splatfest; I saw their ink trail going to the beakon and was going to jump to it to ambush them after they destroyed it, but I noticed as I was jumping that the ink trail just went up to the beakon and stopped, because they were camping waiting for me to jump to it. Fortunately the ink around the beakon was still my color so I was able to swim away as soon as I landed, turn around, and start shooting at them.

J@hranimo

Banned
Guess they aren't doing something about the rollers. Just wish they would pull back on the distance or atleast gave them a jump lag so they aren't jumping crazy if they miss.

jumpy dynamos are the worst

Rollers are really interesting in this game.

Although they are our version of "shotguns" with their one-swing kills, the mechanic of swimming around in ink and sometimes not being able to tell where they all almost always equals a guaranteed kill for them. That coupled with good 'ol lag equals complete nonsense lol. Only weapons imo that can counter them to some extent is the Jet Squelcher and the Gal weapons.

Exile20

Rollers are really interesting in this game.

Although they are our version of "shotguns" with their one-swing kills, the mechanic of swimming around in ink and sometimes not being able to tell where they all almost always equals a guaranteed kill for them. That coupled with good 'ol lag equals complete nonsense lol. Only weapons imo that can counter them to some extent is the Jet Squelcher and the Gal weapons.

I am fine with the concept of the roller, but man the distance is just too much, suppose to be shotgun type weapon but they have extreme range.

The dynamo is just crazy with the range and paint area.

Remember the days when all they did was roll? The good old days.

Honestly just can't enjoy ranked mode at the moment in my squad cos the S rank Japanese folk are just too obscenely good.

Splatfest is where you take a break.

Nico_D

Honestly just can't enjoy ranked mode at the moment in my squad cos the S rank Japanese folk are just too obscenely good.

Without the benefit of lag many Japanese S teams aren't as great as they seem to be. Of course there's some insanely good Japanese teams too but also many of them seem better than they actually are.

Here's hoping the update brings some changes to the matchmaking.

JonnyKong

Jesus fucking Christ, I'm so sick of inkwalls and jumping rollers. I need to take a hiatus from this game, it just isn't all that fun right now.

WALKMAN04

Geg, robot guy, James and Walkman may find this an interesting topic
http://squidboards.com/threads/is-the-dual-squelcher-simply-a-better-n-zap-85.7073/
Yeah I have talked a little with James about this before and he says that he finds himself trading less when playing dual squelchers than nzap, I do agree with what some of those people said the squelcher is definitely more suitable to defense than the nzap, but they both have their place.
Call me crazy then. Not extremely fond of the weapons coming with them.
The .96 with wall and kraken is probably becoming the most used weapon, and it deserves it. A very solid loadout, great weapon, great sub, and great special. I think that instead of people calling the tentatek the best weapon that everyone will jump on the .96 now.

Gsnap

The .96 with wall and kraken is probably becoming the most used weapon, and it deserves it. A very solid loadout, great weapon, great sub, and great special. I think that instead of people calling the tentatek the best weapon that everyone will jump on the .96 now.

It's true. It's a really good combination. I'd probably prefer another special just because kraken isn't my favorite, but I can't deny its usefulness.

nom

Geg, robot guy, James and Walkman may find this an interesting topic
http://squidboards.com/threads/is-the-dual-squelcher-simply-a-better-n-zap-85.7073/

Yeah I'm still switching between them, I love the manoeuvrability of the N-Zap but for me I just end up trading kills. A lot of the time I feel it's my internet connection, but I might just need to change the way I play it.

At least with Duel Squechler you have more room to back away with the range, added bonus that you have better special options (killer wail > ink strike) which helped a lot in the tournament last night.

2.1.0 is coming out soon, but from the Japanese tweet/machine translation it looks like it's all just bug fixes: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index.html

There's got to be more than bug fixes, it's apparently a 600mb patch, according to Nintendolife.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ix_some_bugs_and_cut_off_some_handy_shortcuts

Even if it includes all the previous data, my current splatoon update file is 286mb, so 300mbish of new stuff. More stages and weapons on the way I guess.

Maybe they're happy with the weapon dynamic or expect the upcoming weapons to cause a shift in the game rather than nerfing stuff now.

What weapons had Splash Wall before the 96 Deco anyway? The ones that come to mind are the 52 Gal and the Jet.

52 Gal was always pretty popular, but I guess it was overshadowed by 52 Deco for awhile. Seekers AND inkstrike? Folks liked that loadout more than Splash Wall and Killer Wail, and Killer Wail used to be considered a rather sub-par special. That might change if Splash Wall usage starts increasing, as it's one of the few offensive specials that can pierce through Splash Walls.

Jet is kind of in a weird place and I think Custom Jet has so much more flexibility over it. Inkstrike was popular but I guess the slow kill speed, intense ink consumption and Splash Wall makes the Jet difficult to use well, so nobody really jumped on it. Even with Splash Wall being popular, I don't think the normal Jet usage is going to increase that much. The longer range on Jet Squelchers help against Gals, but the 96 Deco itself has a Splash Wall so it doesn't care that much.

Specifically about the 96 Deco, the main weapon and sub weapon by themselves are already great together, it really doesn't matter what the special is. Tentatek has a decent loadout but it really needs Inkzooka to fight Chargers.

WALKMAN04

Yeah I'm still switching between them, I love the manoeuvrability of the N-Zap but for me I just end up trading kills. A lot of the time I feel it's my internet connection, but I might just need to change the way I play it.

At least with Duel Squechler you have more room to back away with the range, added bonus that you have better special options (killer wail > ink strike) which helped a lot in the tournament last night.
Learn the name of the weapon you are playing, no wonder we came in 5th in the tournament, it's dual squelcher not duel, unless it's somehow different in the European version.

Those good old days when no one is using walls and no one knows how to deal with it. :p

After port, tower control, .96 deco and splatling the wall user base increases a lot, but somehow most of the walls I met are still .52.

Robotguy

What weapons had Splash Wall before the 96 Deco anyway? The ones that come to mind are the 52 Gal and the Jet.

52 Gal was always pretty popular, but I guess it was overshadowed by 52 Deco for awhile. Seekers AND inkstrike? Folks liked that loadout more than Splash Wall and Killer Wail, and Killer Wail used to be considered a rather sub-par special. That might change if Splash Wall usage starts increasing, as it's one of the few offensive specials that can pierce through Splash Walls.

Jet is kind of in a weird place and I think Custom Jet has so much more flexibility over it. Inkstrike was popular but I guess the slow kill speed, intense ink consumption and Splash Wall makes the Jet difficult to use well, so nobody really jumped on it. Even with Splash Wall being popular, I don't think the normal Jet usage is going to increase that much. The longer range on Jet Squelchers help against Gals, but the 96 Deco itself has a Splash Wall so it doesn't care that much.

Specifically about the 96 Deco, the main weapon and sub weapon by themselves are already great together, it really doesn't matter what the special is. Tentatek has a decent loadout but it really needs Inkzooka to fight Chargers.
Yeah, we started running killer wail more after struggling with splashwalls.

ChrisD

CNuqSHVUYAA2M7p.jpg

Officially licensed Squid Charms! They're releasing in December and are already up for pre-order on AmiAmi.

Want to pre-order the full set, but $55 for charms is just so much in December. Hope these don't get scalped, I'd like to pick up at least a few after
spending all my money for others' presents at
Christmas.

Learn the name of the weapon you are playing, no wonder we came in 5th in the tournament, it's dual squelcher not duel, unless it's somehow different in the European version.

lol

Totakeke

Widespread splash wall use is definitely more recent, maybe since the august update since teams could get together. It's definitely better with longer range weapons, but I remember I had to advocate why splash wall was good and why .52 gal is better than the .52 gal deco but the latter was way more common in the beginning.

ChrisD

Flounder in rotation again. Boy am I glad Camp Triggerfish gets this same treatment!... wait..

At least rotation is in eight minutes. :\

I'm wondering if Inkstrike will also see a resurgence in the near future. It's not good if players just fire them off in random places for coverage, as that ends up being easy to clean up and becoming free meter. But if fired close to where fights are happening, then the enemy will have to worry about fighting your team and dealing with the dead zone created by the Inkstrike.

Inkstrike also doesn't care about Splash Walls, but it isn't as lethal as Killer Wail.

The .52 deco was more popular because inkstrike was the king of splat zones.
Agreed, that was certainly the common sentiment, but I don't know how common that is today. It seems that players have worked out that it's possible to fire into the Inkstrike to prevent the zone from being stolen.

and seekers are awesome
Seekers have had a bit of a fall from grace as well, or at least I'm not seeing them all that often these days despite them being really annoying on Port :p

The weapons with Seekers are currently the Aerospray MG and the 52 Deco right? Aerosprays aren't spoken of highly these days when it comes to modes besides Turf Wars.

RedFyn

Seekers were annoying. The aero meta days were the worst. Seekers and mines everywhere.

That's why I said was. The inkstrike isn't viewed the same anymore. It absolutely could come back, it just depends on how the meta shifts.

Robotguy

I'm wondering if Inkstrike will also see a resurgence in the near future. It's not good if players just fire them off in random places for coverage, as that ends up being easy to clean up and becoming free meter. But if fired close to where fights are happening, then the enemy will have to worry about fighting your team and dealing with the dead zone created by the Inkstrike.

Inkstrike also doesn't care about Splash Walls, but it isn't as lethal as Killer Wail.

Agreed, that was certainly the common sentiment, but I don't know how common that is today. It seems that players have worked out that it's possible to fire into the Inkstrike to prevent the zone from being stolen.

Seekers have had a bit of a fall from grace as well, or at least I'm not seeing them all that often these days despite them being really annoying on Port :p

The weapons with Seekers are currently the Aerospray MG and the 52 Deco right? Aerosprays aren't spoken of highly these days when it comes to modes besides Turf Wars.
I want to try using inkstrike to cover for people superjumping into a location. Need voice chat and good coordination for that though.

phanphare

Banned

yeah they have

even with saying that I haven't used the .52 gal deco in weeks, maybe months

Top Bottom