• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Doorman

2.1.0 is coming out soon, but from the Japanese tweet/machine translation it looks like it's all just bug fixes: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index.html

Running through a bit of quick Google Translate, it sounds like they're fixing the map jump glitches, something about the movement or camera while rolling that they changed and are now reverting back to the way it worked in 1.3.0, fixing the fact that bomb explosions against a splash wall can still damage someone standing behind it, and tweaking a thing in tower control where a team's counter would get bumped in the event of breaking ties.

And a few general quality fixes, of course. Primarily minor stuff but it's nice to see that they really are continuing to support and tweak the game even after the August blowout.

atr0cious

Anyway, yeah, I think Saltspray has slowly devolved into my least favorite map for Turf War now. I like the vertical aspects of it, but it is the only map I can think of where you can ignore huge parts of it and still win. It really is like an unofficial Splat Zone.
Ugh, I had teammates that did this during splatfest, thinking the middle is all that matters, literally just chilling up there while the other team paints everything else. Then when they finally notice, they all go down at the same time while the other team rotates up top and wins. I feel only a few really understand that map. Daboss is the teammate to have on the rig.

Geg

More patch notes:

-Apparently version 2.0 created some problem with rollers raising the roller while moving, and they're changing it back to the way it was in version 1.3
-There was a bug where if you throw a bomb while running into a splash wall, it will damage the opponent on the other side, and that's been fixed. Not dropping the splash wall HP though...
-Some bug fixes regarding the counter in tower control, I don't really understand it though. One of them seems to be about how the numbers change in weird ways if one team gets off the tower in a place where it's tied with the other team and causes the other team's score to change

Doorman

More patch notes:

-Some bug fixes regarding the counter in tower control, I don't really understand it though. One of them seems to be about how the numbers change in weird ways if one team gets off the tower in a place where it's tied with the other team and causes the other team's score to change

Yeah, I know I've seen this happen before but I can't remember the exact situation. I think, like, if the tower stops right on a tie, regaining control causes the other team's counter to back up by 1 or something strange. It's never made sense why it ever happened in the first place.

WALKMAN04

James, Robotguy, Walkman, and Master A1 made it to like the top 5 or 6 in the booyah battle tournament before being eliminated, good job guys

Congrats to NSTC for the good performance. The matches against SS-S were all pretty frantic and fun to watch.
Thank you guys for watching, as well as everyone else who watched, we were all dead tired by the end but we put up a good fight to SS-S, I'm sure they were a bit tired too, I would love to play them again though even if it ends up being the same result, it would be fun.

Edit: based on what is translated by Geg, I will say what I think they mean. Sometimes in tower control if there is a direct tie between teams, then the team that had the lead first is supposed to have the lead either by raising the counter of the team that just got to the tied number, the team that was previously losing, or by lowering the counter of the team that was winning so that they have a 1 point lead for them either way. However I have run into an instance where the team that previously had the lead gets their counter raised by 1 putting them behind now, so either they are changing it so that the team that held that lead for longer is still in the lead doesn't get their counter changed at all or they are making it so that they always get a 1 point lead in the case of a tie.

L95

More patch notes:

-Apparently version 2.0 created some problem with rollers raising the roller while moving, and they're changing it back to the way it was in version 1.3
I've had this problem, if it's what I think it is, nothing gamebreaking, but was annoying lol

Luigi87

Back to C+ after a losing streak... Sigh >_<

Lost more... One right at the end, where I went 29/8... Why do people feel it's a great idea to go in one by one and die rather than work as a team?

Crayolan

Yeah, I know I've seen this happen before but I can't remember the exact situation. I think, like, if the tower stops right on a tie, regaining control causes the other team's counter to back up by 1 or something strange. It's never made sense why it ever happened in the first place.

I always assumed it was in place to prevent ties. Makes more sense than leaving it up to some nebulous secondary criteria which no one will be able to figure out.

Robotguy

Ah yeah maybe, I don't have any actual experience with the Jet.

Maybe robotguy can give some better advice once he finishes the tournament matches
It's pretty hard to take down snipers with the custom. If they're good they can pick me off before I can kill them even if sneak up on them. The standard is better for that because the splash wall can prevent them from taking me out, and it has inkstrike to attack perches. But they can often escape off their perch before I take them down, and I don't like using inkstrike, lol.

PBalfredo

What the fuck is the purpose of the Damage Up modifier? As far as I can tell, you can't actually use it in any meaningful way. You can't make the Zapper a three-hit-kill, and you can't make the L-3 a one-burst-kill, because even if you stack three main Damage Up icons on your gear, your three shots cap at 99.9 which still makes either weapon a four-shot-kill, just as if you didn't have any Damage Up at all!

Pikma

Banned
What the fuck is the purpose of the Damage Up modifier? As far as I can tell, you can't actually use it in any meaningful way. You can't make the Zapper a three-hit-kill, and you can't make the L-3 a one-burst-kill, because even if you stack three main Damage Up icons on your gear, your three shots cap at 99.9 which still makes either weapon a four-shot-kill, just as if you didn't have any Damage Up at all!
I like it better that way, I wouldn't like to see people abuse it.

Robotguy

James, Robotguy, Walkman, and Master A1 made it to like the top 5 or 6 in the booyah battle tournament before being eliminated, good job guys
Yeah, top six. Thanks Geg.
Congrats to NSTC for the good performance. The matches against SS-S were all pretty frantic and fun to watch.
Thanks.
Yeah, the SS-S matches were good. Pretty good match up. I think if we had actual practice together we might have been able to take them.

I'm kinda surprised that we did better VS SS-S than VS ChokeSquad though.

It's most useful for reducing the charge to kill time required for chargers. It's also useful sometimes for attacks that have AOEs. In many situations getting 99.9 damage is sufficient to get the kill, cause if they touch your ink on the ground at all they take damage and die. Custom Jet Squelcher unlocks a 1 bomb 1 shot combo at 2 DMG up main. Other weapons may have similar niche uses that I'm not as versed in. DMG is weird because it went from being considered useless to being one of the most popular perks as the meta evolved to this point.

ChrisD

You know, I've done a lot of calculating and testing. I think I can safely say that the Lag-Pan 3000 R(ange) is probably the best wep in the game. Now hear me out! I know, I know, the game is relatively balanced. But I'm telling you, once people realize the potential the weapon has due to it's capability to shoot around walls and kill you in one shot actually landing on your screen, I can see it going far. Can definitely tell why it's a restricted weapon for most player.

I already miss Splatfest

WALKMAN04

Most shooter weapons don't need damage up, outside of like the .52 gal and maybe some others because 1defense up main on your opponent turns it from a 2 shot weapon to a 3. Damage up is mostly used for rollers, chargers, and blasters.For rollers and blasters it makes the damage done from indirect hits and hits that wouldn't normally 1 hit kill into 1 shot kills, basically with the flick of a roller you have a longer 1 shot kill range and with a blaster you can turn indirect hits into 1 hit kills and 3 shot indirect kills into 2 hit kills. For chargers damage up allows you to 1 shot kill without fully charging or even charging for long really, this allows you to kill when you have a good shot rather than charging fully then going for a shot. Damage up is actually incredibly useful, not really for most shooters but it's possible the nozzlenose was using it for their burst bombs as that really helps burst bombs as well. Hope this helps you.

WALKMAN04

Thanks.
Yeah, the SS-S matches were good. Pretty good match up. I think if we had actual practice together we might have been able to take them.

It's most useful for reducing the charge to kill time required for chargers. It's also useful sometimes for attacks that have AOEs. In many situations getting 99.9 damage is sufficient to get the kill, cause if they touch your ink on the ground at all they take damage and die. Custom Jet Squelcher unlocks a 1 bomb 1 shot combo at 2 DMG up main. Other weapons may have similar niche uses that I'm not as versed in. DMG is weird because it went from being considered useless to being one of the most popular perks as the meta evolved to this point.
Technically it's either since another team lost at the same round as us, so we we finished 5th/6th in the tournament
Walkman why does this seem to keep happening with you
The funny part is that I remember going back and changing 1 from shit to shot, guess I missed another one lol. It's not my fault though, o and i should not np be that close on the keyboard, I should start a movement to change it or something

Robotguy

Technically it's either since another team lost at the same round as us, so we we finished 5th/6th in the tournament

The funny part is that I remember going back and changing 1 from shit to shot, guess I missed another one lol. It's not my fault though, o and i should not np be that close on the keyboard, I should start a movement to change it or something
Time to go dvorak

Yeah, pretty much the only situation that damage up doesn't help with is reducing the number of hits to kill for shooters. Which is fine, because it'd be overpowered as hell if that were possible. The fact that damage is capped for shooters caused most folks to write it off early on, but over time the community has found lots of use for damage up.

Even for shooters, damage ups are helpful in 2 ways:
1. Reducing damage drop-off for shots from a longer distance.
2. Better guarantee of finishing off weakened targets.

Totakeke

It's because you guys were getting pressured hard by splash walls and did not have killer wail isn't it? The last game when you guys started to use it, it became much more of a fight. And after that it became an essential part of your arsenal.

Certainly didn't expect all games to be tower control though. :/ If I played I would definitely have argued for rainmaker. :p

Robotguy

It's because you guys were getting pressured hard by splash walls and did not have killer wail isn't it? The last game when you guys started to use it, it became much more of a fight. And after that it became an essential part of your arsenal.

Certainly didn't expect all games to be tower control though. :/ If I played I would definitely have argued for rainmaker. :p
Hmm, yeah. That's true.
Should have just played turf war.

Doorman

I felt a weird combination of humor and anger during the last splatfest, any time I saw somebody using an Aerospray with damage ups as a main gear attribute. Literally the most useless time to ever have it on.

Then again I guess I can't really fault most people for not necessarily knowing about the hard shots-to-splat cap. A person just casually picking up the game would probably assume that it does have more of an impact than it really does, and so long as they get high inking scores, they probably assume it's effective.

You know, I've done a lot of calculating and testing. I think I can safely say that the Lag-Pan 3000 R(ange) is probably the best wep in the game. Now hear me out! I know, I know, the game is relatively balanced. But I'm telling you, once people realize the potential the weapon has due to it's capability to shoot around walls and kill you in one shot actually landing on your screen, I can see it going far. Can definitely tell why it's a restricted weapon for most player.

I already miss Splatfest
Strangely, I encounter a lot more Lag-Pan 3000's during Splatfests than when I'm playing in a room full of Japanese players. >_>

I don't understand the roller change. Hopefully preyingshark can help translate
Pretty sure it's saying that there was an issue where the animation for raising your roller while moving was changed completely in 2.0 and that it was fixed by reverting back to what was used in 1.3.

EDIT: I'm tired. Let me check what this phrase means more but I believe it's just saying that the camera was fucked up in 2.0.

Geg

I just wanted SM to know I trolled a Sploosh user super hard in random turf wars by shooting him as he came down to his beakon and put my own there in its place
Keepo

SM239

I just wanted SM to know I trolled a Sploosh user super hard in random turf wars by shooting him as he came down to his beakon and put my own there in its place
Keepo

Lord have mercy on the next CDS user I run into when I'm using the Sploosh. Which might actually end up being you.
Kappa

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Thank you guys for watching, as well as everyone else who watched, we were all dead tired by the end but we put up a good fight to SS-S, I'm sure they were a bit tired too, I would love to play them again though even if it ends up being the same result, it would be fun.

Thanks.

Congrats btw guys! I missed the last couple of matches, so I'll go watch that soon for some studying on strategies and match ups. You guys did great though! Too bad the tournament took so long that it drained much of your guy's energy. Always next time

forgot to mention

eff team decipticon

ultra_magnus_with_matrix_by_zaksblood13.jpg

Open, dammit!

Robotguy

Congrats btw guys! I missed the last couple of matches, so I'll go watch that soon for some studying on strategies and match ups. You guys did great though! Too bad the tournament took so long that it drained much of your guy's energy. Always next time
Thanks Mellopillow.
It was particularly hard on Master AI and James since they're in Europe.
But I'm PST and it wore me down a lot too. Specially since I most of my time between matches/ rounds coordinating with the other team.

BTW, the tourney just ended like minutes ago. Squid Squad Spades takes home the gold.
Not a bad team to get eliminated by.

I don't understand the roller change. Hopefully preyingshark can help translate
Got it for real this time. It's just talking about a graphical glitch. What Google Translate translates as "the movement of the screen" is &#30011;&#38754;&#12398;&#21205;&#12365;, which basically actually means, "What is being displayed on the screen over a duration of time." So it's saying that what's shown on the TV/monitor when you raise the roller while moving with it was changed in 2.0 and in this patch it's being back to how it was in 2.1. Dunno the specifics but it's likely something minor if we didn't notice it.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Thanks Mellopillow.
It was particularly hard on Master AI and James since they're in Europe.
But I'm PST and it wore me down a lot too. Specially since I most of my time between matches/ rounds coordinating with the other team.

BTW, the tourney just ended like minutes ago. Squid Squad Spades takes home the gold.
Not a bad team to get eliminated by.

I could imagine. Last time I checked the stream, it was almost 2am for James, and you guys still did a couple of matches! That's rough. But yea, it's good knowing you gave the winning team a run for their money though. I just watched the matches against the SS-S team and it looked like they just had better communication and coordination. It's alright though, they play alot together so it makes sense haha. Means we just need more time together too!

What the fuck is going on with the map rotation

IF you really really want, and you really really hate yourself, you get to pay 12 hours of Splatoon on Saltspray. Yay! /s

Earlier, when I was raging, my boyfriend asked me if it was absolutely necessary that I get this upset with the game. I took a shower and came back to find him playing and yelling at some kid who was inking over his own ink the entire match. I think I've converted him to the cult of Splatoon.

Except he's a scrub kid, not a squid kid

Robotguy

I could imagine. Last time I checked the stream, it was almost 2am for James, and you guys still did a couple of matches! That's rough. But yea, it's good knowing you gave the winning team a run for their money though. I just watched the matches against the SS-S team and it looked like they just had better communication and coordination. It's alright though, they play alot together so it makes sense haha. Means we just need more time together too!
This team didn't play together as a whole until about 2 hours before the tournament start, so, yeah we could definitely use a lot of work on communication/coordination/strategy. We'll definitely work on getting more team play time in. Walkman is going to try to set up friendlies with SS-S sometime soon, so that should help.

That's why we tried (and succeeded) in going Tower Control for every single match, so we wouldn't have to worry about strategies for the other modes.

I'm glad there aren't any more open tournaments for a while though, lol.

Been trying to use the brush weapons lately, but I just can't get the hang of it. I think one problem is that I'm not sneaky enough, cause sometimes I pounce as soon as I see someone even though I'm not close enough.

Does anyone have any tips for being a speedy brush ninja?

I had a very weird thing happen to me during the Splatfest.

There was a Krak-On Roller user on the enemy team. He morphed out of his ink right in front of me, flicked his roller right in my face, and I didn't die. He then proceeded to get splatted.

I figured if Splatoon had mics, I would have heard him flip his lid at that.

On a Splatfest related note, I am now 0-4 for Splatfest. I sure can pick em'~

Top Bottom