• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Luigi87

Oh god, MGSV comes out tomorrow, so I'm playing a bit of GZ
... The aiming. After Splatoon, this aiming feels so archaic @_@ Nintendo got it right with the motion controls.

Good lord flounder heights and kelp dome are hell for tower control.
Every map can be your favorite or most hated depending on the weapon that you favor. Kelp and Flounder just happen to be my two favorites due to how blaster friendly they are and I hate the Mall and Moray because of how blaster unfriendly they are :lol

Too bad the rotation will change by the time I get home -_-

Gsnap

Oh god, MGSV comes out tomorrow, so I'm playing a bit of GZ
... The aiming. After Splatoon, this aiming feels so archaic @_@ Nintendo got it right with the motion controls.

My buddy comes over sometimes to play splatoon with me. We switch off after every match. He also doesn't use motion controls, so we switch the settings between every match as well.

Well last night, I forgot that he was the last one to play before he left and so I ended up accidentally playing a match with motion controls off.

I felt like I was playing with one arm. It was so bad.

Robotguy

Every map can be your favorite or most hated depending on the weapon that you favor. Kelp and Flounder just happen to be my two favorites due to how blaster friendly they are and I hate the Mall and Moray because of how blaster unfriendly they are :lol

Dome is my favorite map to play blaster on.
A lot of maps I won't even consider playing blaster on if I'm playing remotely seriously.

Doorman

Fortunately for you, you can apparently turn on the game at literally any time and feel secure in knowing that Flounder will be in the rotation! It never leaves! :D

It never leaves.

...It never leaves.

Never. 8|

Dome is my favorite map to play blaster on.
A lot of maps I won't even consider playing blaster on if I'm playing remotely seriously.
It feels like the entire layout was designed with blasters in mind and every model works great there. Those exposed catwalks are like candy >:3
Fortunately for you, you can apparently turn on the game at literally any time and feel secure in knowing that Flounder will be in the rotation! It never leaves! :D

It never leaves.

...It never leaves.

Never. 8|
LOL, we're going to need a support group for Flounder PTSD soon :D

ffdgh

Nah my splash-o-matic is still going strong. It's just sometimes my teammates do the...strangest things.

J@hranimo

Banned
I guess I'm not truly disliking Flounder so much today. TC with the current rotation and using the Splatling is pretty relaxing. Provide support and chill on the sniper perch near your base while ripping up anyone who dares to get near the tower = :) Me.

Robotguy

It feels like the entire layout was designed with blasters in mind and every model works great there. Those exposed catwalks are like candy >:3

LOL, we're going to need a support group for Flounder PTSD soon :D
Dome makes me think I can play Rapid Blaster, then I try it on other maps and find out I can't.

Ahnez

4 B+, 2 A-, 2 A in the room

How the game was:

4 B+ vs 2A-, 2A

wat?

I really need to learn a different weapon for Flounder

ffdgh

Yep, sounds like ranked alright. Have you seen any brushes trying to draw obscene figures instead of painting the zone/tower/rm yet? >.>

Wait what? lol no but I have been squid bagged twice so far tho so that's something,

Edit: Flounder heights refuses to freaking die!.

Ahnez

Five loses in a row

I think I won like 4 times ever in B+

Maybe I'm just unlucky, as always at least half of the room is A- or above
or maybe I should just give up and stay in B lol

Robotguy

Five loses in a row

I think I won like 4 times ever in B+

Maybe I'm just unlucky, as always at least half of the room is A- or above
or maybe I should just give up and stay in B lol
Believe in yourself. Don't let your dream be dreams.

Geg

Current rotation: Moray Towers and Flounder Heights for Turf Wars, Walleye Warehouse and Bluefin Depot for Splat Zones
Next rotation: Urchin Underpass and Saltspray Rig for Turf Wars, Port Mackerel and Flounder Heights for Rainmaker
Rotation after that: Arowana Mall and Flounder Heights for Turf Wars, Bluefin Depot and Moray Towers for Splat Zones

el oh el

J@hranimo

Banned
Current rotation: Moray Towers and Flounder Heights for Turf Wars, Walleye Warehouse and Bluefin Depot for Splat Zones
Next rotation: Urchin Underpass and Saltspray Rig for Turf Wars, Port Mackerel and Flounder Heights for Rainmaker
Rotation after that: Arowana Mall and Flounder Heights for Turf Wars, Bluefin Depot and Moray Towers for Splat Zones

el oh el

Fixed for accuracy, just in case anyone was wondering if certain maps were in ;)

I've only ever used it yesterday, I just used headphones with a mic, just the regular beats headphones that are used for listening to music, worked perfectly heard everything during the matches and my teammates seemed to hear me fine too. I don't think anyone uses the voice chat solely in between matches, just use the text chat if you want to talk after a match.

Edit: I just had one headphone in my ear, so I could listen to the game from the other ear, don't know about for headsets though.

Ah, okay, yeah, the one earpiece thing would work. I just hate earbuds so I usually have over-head ones that don't make one at a time very viable.

My Wii U and PC are both setup at my desk. I use my webcam's mic for voice chat. I feed game audio from the headphone jack on my monitor into the line in on my PC, and set it to play that back. So I get both my game audio and chat audio from my pc. Works alright.

Nice setup! It's a bit too particular to set up for my current scenario -- I don't have PC speakers, I just route everything through the TV but the source can't be the same as the Wii U. Meh, I'll have to figure something out.

Robotguy

el oh el
The miiverse asked for apartments, and they got them. :p
lol

But really, what happened to the B+ population of this game? I have played games where I was the only B+, and everyone else was A- or A
The matchmaking is weird sometimes. I'm S ranks and get put in B+ lobbies sometimes. Why?

Ah, okay, yeah, the one earpiece thing would work. I just hate earbuds so I usually have over-head ones that don't make one at a time very viable.
Nice setup! It's a bit too particular to set up for my current scenario -- I don't have PC speakers, I just route everything through the TV but the source can't be the same as the Wii U. Meh, I'll have to figure something out.
Yeah, it's definitely a solution that's pretty specific to my situation. I don't have PC speakers either. I use headphones. I have a pretty unconventional headphone cable extension solution too, lol.

Doorman

Fixed for accuracy, just in case anyone was wondering if certain maps were in ;)

Bitching about Flounder aside, it's also strange to note that Bluefin Depot appears in ranked twice out of the next three rotations. Their way of distributing map rotations has felt really strange ever since Flounder was brought into things.

phanphare

Banned
holy shit, just played a ranked team that had two killer wails and they would synchronize them. so they'd set off one killer wail and then another one perpendicular to it.

we got the KO though so it must have not been that effective lol

Robotguy

holy shit, just played a ranked team that had two killer wails and they would synchronize them. so they'd set off one killer wail and then another one perpendicular to it.

we got the KO though so it must have not been that effective lol
I've been wanting to try that as an opening strat on Triggerfish. Shoot one down their long hallway at the same time you shoot one down the lateral hallway.
I think you could probably get a team wipe like that fairly easily on Turf War. On the ranked modes it probably wouldn't work since they'd probably had at least one player go the other way around.

Most of the time I think it would be better to set two off parallel to each other, makes it much harder to dodge that way. Since if you're near the middle you have to cover more distance to get out of it.

EulaCapra

I'm finally pretty good with the Bamboozler now! Practice makes perfect and I've accepted my fate that I'll never land two fully charged shots to kill. But how so many people have let me kill them with 3-4 button-mashing shots I'll never know.

It's too bad I'm not seeing more Bamboozlers out there anymore. It's really fun!

They have their moments in turfwar too. Gotta love when the whole team charges head first in towers while I sit back and watch the onslaught lol.
Yeah but it's funny, not frustrating like in Ranked.

GAF TW rooms can be awesome too, unless it's me and 3 randoms VS 4 GAFers which happens a lot and makes me hate life.

Ahnez

After understimating how much it would cost to get all weapons, I decided to actually add the values, and its about 160k to go..

Not that much, but still would take a while if I keep losing in ranked

B+ 7 now lol

The rooms are so unbalanced I usually just lose 5 points per match lol

Really_zpsweyhrr5p.jpg

Oh what the hell man!!!

And no way is Spyke's puck ass going to come through on a single thing :mad:

TrueBlue

For goodness sake.

Every time I get one win away from increasing my rank my team lose and I'm almost always on top with kills. Then I lose a few.

I just want to get to B +!

someday

Banned
Really_zpsweyhrr5p.jpg

Oh what the hell man!!!

And no way is Spyke's puck ass going to come through on a single thing :mad:
I'm confused about the stacking of perks/abilities/skill. I've read that after 3 or 4, there are diminishing returns. Is this true and what is a general rule about how many abilities are useful? Is it different depending on the skill?

I'm pretty new to the game but love it! Thanks for any help you can give.

Luigi87

I'm confused about the stacking of perks/abilities/skill. I've read that after 3 or 4, there are diminishing returns. Is this true and what is a general rule about how many abilities are useful? Is it different depending on the skill?

Edit: Below data sheet is much more useful.

ffdgh

someday

Banned
There are diminishing returns after one.
IE: Say Attack Up sub-ability gives you 10% (I don't know if this is the actual value), every subsequent one would only be half that (so 5% each), so a set of three would be 20%.

... Though I myself was wondering if stacking caps or not.
Thank you!
Thanks, I'll check out the document!

RedFyn

Don't worry about it. Just use what you think will help you. Damage up is only for specific weapons and defense up is enemy weapon dependent. Everything else can be used with any weapon.

Oh and avoid opening gambit. It's only useful in specific builds for ranked. And last ditch effort is really only useful in turf war

SM239

"snipers are not very good on this map (walleye). Dont try to kill with the squiffer its more for inking."

But he has a lot of subscribers and 99% of his videos are "Top <insert_number_here> <insert_subject_here>" so he's obviously right.
Kappa

Its a shame that there are people that will actually look to this video for Squiffer help.

ryechu

Thank you!

Thanks, I'll check out the document!

http://wikiwiki.jp/splatoon2ch/?%A5%AE%A5%A2%A5%D1%A5%EF%A1%BC%B8%A1%BE%DA

This seems a lot more convincing than the squidboards data, but I'm not sure if any data were fudged. The problem I have with the squidboards conclusion is that they make the claim that some sub abilities have diminishing returns while some dont. The thing is, once people had a greater number of rare gear necessary to test 3 mains + 5 subs etc, there were no "hard caps" in sight, plus the values were much lower than expected according to the diminishing returns rules they set (for example, every main or sub after the first is worth 1/2). It is more likely that due to the uncertainty in the measurement and the fact that some abilities have a more delayed diminishing returns effect (for some abilites 0-2 mains or less is approximate to a linear distribution), they assumed that each ability has different rules depending on the number of mains and subs equiped. The japanese wiki makes the claim that Mains are worth 10 and Subs are worth 3, and it is the total power of all the mains and subs that is applied to a asymptotic curve. The diminishing returns effect depends on the steepness of this curve, all abilities have diminishing returns, and more compelling, they can be defined by a simple, single variable function.

The japanese wiki illustrates basic high school science. You run multiple trials and plot the damn thing and fit a curve.

Top Bottom