• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

"snipers are not very good on this map (walleye). Dont try to kill with the squiffer its more for inking."

AHAHA WHAT

Give me the fucking controller, I'll hold Walleye's entire centre by myself!

And I've seen some godly Squiffer-using assassins!

This guy is neither as learned with sniper rifles nor Walleye as he thinks he is.

someday

Banned
http://wikiwiki.jp/splatoon2ch/?%A5%AE%A5%A2%A5%D1%A5%EF%A1%BC%B8%A1%BE%DA

This seems a lot more convincing than the squidboards data, but I'm not sure if any data were fudged. The problem I have with the squidboards conclusion is that they make the claim that some sub abilities have diminishing returns while some dont. The thing is, once people had a greater number of rare gear necessary to test 3 mains + 5 subs etc, there were no "hard caps" in sight, plus the values were much lower than expected according to the diminishing returns rules they set (for example, every main or sub after the first is worth 1/2). It is more likely that due to the uncertainty in the measurement and the fact that some abilities have a more delayed diminishing returns effect (for some abilites 0-2 mains or less is approximate to a linear distribution), they assumed that each ability has different rules depending on the number of mains and subs equiped. The japanese wiki makes the claim that Mains are worth 10 and Subs are worth 3, and it is the total power of all the mains and subs that is applied to a asymptotic curve. The diminishing returns effect depends on the steepness of this curve, all abilities have diminishing returns, and more compelling, they can be defined by a simple, single variable function.

The japanese wiki illustrates basic high school science. You run multiple trials and plot the damn thing and fit a curve.
Wow, thank you. That is a great site!

Luigi87

WVW69iWJQT8aRfAk5g

My latest win, Flounder Heights. I immediately start with going to the right to get up behind the enemy team. I immediately take out all four of them before the Rainmaker shield pops... I then wait for five seconds and notice that no one on my team grabbed the Rainmaker, so have to pick it up to begin advancing it. Just... What the heck <_<

Doorman

To be fair to sniper video guide dude, he does admit during the video that snipers are better used with motion controls and that he doesn't actually use most of them all that much. Silly if he's trying to pass his video off as a major guide but there are some known shortcomings at least.

ChrisD

I've been writing up some weapon guides (In a Meet The ____ TF2 fashion), but am making sure I don't fall into the same trap as what video guy has. Which is to say, I'm making sure I'm just giving basic tips so I don't look a fool. Of course I'm sure it still looks pretty bad. :p

It's mostly just being written so I can let my friends/family read it and figure out a weapon they may prefer, anyways.

I've been writing up some weapon guides (In a Meet The ____ TF2 fashion), but am making sure I don't fall into the same trap as what video guy has. Which is to say, I'm making sure I'm just giving basic tips so I don't look a fool. Of course I'm sure it still looks pretty bad. :p

It's mostly just being written so I can let my friends/family read it and figure out a weapon they may prefer, anyways.

Just talk about the weapons you know how to use. Leave the others to people that can use them, no? I'd never make a video for blasters, for example.

Azure J

"snipers are not very good on this map (walleye). Dont try to kill with the squiffer its more for inking."

But he has a lot of subscribers and 99% of his videos are "Top <insert_number_here> <insert_subject_here>" so he's obviously right.
Kappa

Its a shame that there are people that will actually look to this video for Squiffer help.

That Youtube audience/meta though.

Stillfound it so fascinating that I was being complimented for being better than ZackScottGames the other day I streamed on YT. I was like "who", checked some videos out, and immediately realized that GAF is probably one of the most high quality groups playing this game consistently.

ChrisD

Just talk about the weapons you know how to use. Leave the others to people that can use them, no? I'd never make a video for blasters, for example.

It's YouTube tho. Splatoon video guides are a relatively untapped market, so if you can pass yourself off as somewhat knowledgeable, and throw in at least SOME helpful bits you can rake in the views. I don't have anything to record, and if I did I would make videos only on what I specialize in, but I can't hate the hustle.

In my current case, I don't think I'm even going to touch on Chargers. If my brother/sister asks about it I'll tell him that I just suck at them and he'd be better off making an opinion lol.

Geg

That Youtube audience/meta though.

Stillfound it so fascinating that I was being complimented for being better than ZackScottGames the other day I streamed on YT. I was like "who", checked some videos out, and immediately realized that GAF is probably one of the most high quality groups playing this game consistently.

Haha I remember that. I imagine your stream may have been the first exposure to Splatoon players outside of mediocre big name youtube guys for some of those kids

EDIT: The Krak-On guide made much later isn't much better oh god
Haven't watched it but does he actually mention beakons?

I've wished I had the ability to record my games before, but Splatoon really makes me wish I could justify the cost and time, heh. My favourite--and best-- match of all time was a Turf Wars match where I was playing Hero Charger and I managed to hold the entire bottom-left part of Bluefin all by myself for the whole three minutes. I survived front attacks and sneak back attacks the entire time, and at the end of the match, the part I was guarding was the only part of the map in our colour. We lost, but it was a personal victory.

Oh how I wish I had a recording of that match!

ffdgh

3 rainmaker battles...one player simply stayed at the beginning doing whatever....and another just sat at the start of flounder heights while using a charger and not hitting anything.

...That's enough ranked battle for tonight.

I'm going to ask this for the 100th time but what is the point of having ranks if random ranked makes mixed lobbies anyway?

This game has no mode to allow you to play with people in the same rank as you so there may as well not be ranks at all, just let everyone go by their general turf war levels.
3 rainmaker battles...one player simply stayed at the beginning doing whatever....and another just sat at the start of flounder heights while using a charger and not hitting anything.

...That's enough ranked battle for tonight.
I just spent the last 90 minutes bouncing between A60 to A70 and back. I feel like I need to take off a week but I'm leaving for a month soon and won't be able to play :/

RedFyn

I'm going to ask this for the 100th time but what is the point of having ranks if random ranked makes mixed lobbies anyway?

This game has no mode to allow you to play with people in the same rank as you so there may as well not be ranks at all, just let everyone go by their general turf war levels.
In my exoerience ranked is pretty good about keeping s players together. Most of my matches are S with the occasional S+ and As. What rank are you?

Geg

I've wished I had the ability to record my games before, but Splatoon really makes me wish I could justify the cost and time, heh. My favourite--and best-- match of all time was a Turf Wars match where I was playing Hero Charger and I managed to hold the entire bottom-left part of Bluefin all by myself for the whole three minutes. I survived front attacks and sneak back attacks the entire time, and at the end of the match, the part I was guarding was the only part of the map in our colour. We lost, but it was a personal victory.

The last three Splatfests have each had one match I really wish I had a recording of; all three were those rare times where I was without a doubt responsible for carrying my team to victory. Two of them were 3v4s, while the third was a 4v4 but my teammates were Autobots and thus terrible and useless

In my exoerience ranked is pretty good about keeping s players together. Most of my matches are S with the occasional S+ and As. What rank are you?

I fell all the way back to A rank from S. I started out tonight at A12 and worked my way quickly to A70 in like 6 matches but then like clockwork the matchmaking started putting me into mixed lobbies with A+ to S+ and conveniently putting them all on the other team.

I wasn't on a single bad team the entire night but sometime you could just feel the exasperation when the match started and we saw what we were up against. I grinded through this before but it just feels like an unnecessary way to make ranks take longer than they need to.

The last three Splatfests have each had one match I really wish I had a recording of; all three were those rare times where I was without a doubt responsible for carrying my team to victory. Two of them were 3v4s, while the third was a 4v4 but my teammates were Autobots and thus terrible and useless

I was reading like "uh-huh, uh-huh, yep," and then I got to the bold and just started laughing.

Robotguy

Splat Roller guide

Hey Red apparently we're playing the Splat Roller wrong because we actually kill people. Also we shouldn't use suction bombs very often. This is week 1 video but come on...

EDIT: The Krak-On guide made much later isn't much better oh god
Why even make tutorials in week one?
I mean except for getting views by being first of course.

Disrespect rolling is a legit strategy in some situations though. I try to make good use of it against Azure.

Yeah, splatoon made me buy a capture card. Never had a strong desire for one previously.

I really want your secret DaBoss on getting blessed orders from Spyke.

I'm going on I don't know how many weeks now where I order from him every day I still haven't gotten a single perfect order yet :/

Luigi87

Splatoon really, really makes me wanna buy an Elgato HD60, and I totally would, except with all the other games coming out in September that I'm buying (five total), it would be irresponsible of me to >_<

The decepticons just kept flooding into the middle platform of Saltspray and I had to keep taking them out. My teammates were completely incapable of stopping them :(

I played ambush Sploosh like that entire Splatfest except for maybe two matches.

I had teammates that actually used my beacons! It was amazing!

Jims

I just wish Splatoon had an upload feature like Mario Kart or (now) Smash. My YouTube channel isn't gaming-related, but I wouldn't be able to resist annoying subscribers with random Splatoon match uploads. Don't wanna buy a capture card to do a couple random gameplay/commentary videos.

Bah, Nintendo. And on such a good spectator game, too.

Azure J

Interesting to see so many SplatGAF regulars admit that it was Splatoon that made them take the plunge on video capture equipment. Seriously, the game has too many awesome little moments/interactions for it not to have spectator modes and multi-POV replays and a large reason why I picked up my gear was because of that.

ChrisD

Interesting to see so many SplatGAF regulars admit that it was Splatoon that made them take the plunge on video capture equipment. Seriously, the game has too many awesome little moments/interactions for it not to have spectator modes and multi-POV replays and a large reason why I picked up my gear was because of that.

How much was your gear in total? I'd love to record matches and commentate, but it seems like there's much more you need past a capture card. It would be cool to record, for one, and there are so many great moments. But watching/listening to one's comments is one of the main things I'd like to do, as it gives a peak into your own thought process.

Robotguy

"You do have a squid beakon that you can throw around, and it'll probably tell you where your opponents are." Oh god wtf. Am I hearing it wrong?
I actually want a sub that does this now.
Place it on the map and it flags anyone in the vicinity.

Azure J

How much was your gear in total? I'd love to record matches and commentate, but it seems like there's much more you need past a capture card. It would be cool to record, for one, and there are so many great moments. But watching/listening to one's comments is one of the main things I'd like to do, as it gives a peak into your own thought process.

Well I got lucky and had a pair of old USB Headphones/Mic lying about so really all I got was the Elgato 60 for video capture. Anything else is purely extra.

B_Bech

Shoutouts to Red, Robot and Teemu for some intense squadding. Also another rowdy shout to my favorite Australian Toadsili, in addition to Zing and Evil Mario. Those were pretty memorable Rainmaker matches. (Especially the stalling on Port Mackerel struggle)

GeneralSmiley

Neo Member
I made it to A- today, which I know isn't particularly impressive especially now there is an S rank but I fought hard to get there and was so pleased with myself. The sense of reward I get with this game is wonderful but conversely the frustration of losses (in ranked at least) is crushing.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
I just wish Splatoon had an upload feature like Mario Kart or (now) Smash. My YouTube channel isn't gaming-related, but I wouldn't be able to resist annoying subscribers with random Splatoon match uploads. Don't wanna buy a capture card to do a couple random gameplay/commentary videos.

I'd like to echo this thought that a Spectator/Replay mode would be amazing to have at this point, especially since the addition of squads, as well as given things like the upcoming tournaments in Japan. If they do ever implement such a feature, they need to avoid the 3 minute time limit ala Smash 4 for Ranked games.

Shoutouts to Red, Robot and Teemu for some intense squadding. Also another rowdy shout to my favorite Australian Toadsili, in addition to Zing and Evil Mario. Those were pretty memorable Rainmaker matches. (Especially the stalling on Port Mackerel struggle)

Big shoutouts to all of you guys today! We definitely got better after a few crushing losses to start off with, and it was all great fun. So much so, I barely realised how much time went by. SplatGAF is always a blast!

Poor Red didn't get to hear my accent, though. :p

Nico_D

I made it to A- today, which I know isn't particularly impressive especially now there is an S rank but I fought hard to get there and was so pleased with myself. The sense of reward I get with this game is wonderful but conversely the frustration of losses (in ranked at least) is crushing.

Congrats!

Get in squads with gaffers. Although that could mean getting a lot of S' on opposite side, depending on who you play with.

I'm finally pretty good with the Bamboozler now! Practice makes perfect and I've accepted my fate that I'll never land two fully charged shots to kill. But how so many people have let me kill them with 3-4 button-mashing shots I'll never know.

It's too bad I'm not seeing more Bamboozlers out there anymore. It's really fun!
I'm probably going to be shouted down for this (but thats okay it means I'll have learned something) but my feeling is they are that odd rapid charger niche like the squiffers and the bucket offers a similar thing to those though it can't melee like those can.

Also a lot of people are waiting on the other version of it
with disruptor/echolocate

I'm confused about the stacking of perks/abilities/skill. I've read that after 3 or 4, there are diminishing returns. Is this true and what is a general rule about how many abilities are useful? Is it different depending on the skill?

I'm pretty new to the game but love it! Thanks for any help you can give.
Regarding that Japanese site earlier. Main=10. Sub=3. I think many US places had taken main to be 1 and sub to be 1/3 which might explain some discrepancies.

Top Bottom