• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Luigi87

When you wake up, play, and lose four in a row via Knockouts (one was a -15, oi), that's the universe telling you to go back to sleep...

Nico_D

I'd like to have those. And the plush toys too. A bit girlish of me but who cares. I want, I want, I want and I'm going to lie here on the floor until I get one!

I'd like to have those. And the plush toys too. A bit girlish of me but who cares. I want, I want, I want and I'm going to lie here on the floor until I get one!

I wouldn't consider this "girlish" unless your definition is literally "anything not stereotypically manly." Which is a terrible definition.

And I've got a few cushions on preorder because they look amazing.

Now someone tell me how to get these keychains.

B_Bech

You worry about coming across as girlish to a forum full of people that prefer to use the girl option in Splatoon? Don't worry about it, man. Abandon those gender associations! :p

Gsnap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqi87KPOTWg

oh no. I've been using a novelty weapon this whole time.

It's funny that this guy admits that motion controls are better but still refuses to use them.

Oh god, he also complained that the opponent didn't come out when he was basically flashing his laser sight making it obvious he was there.

I mean, I get it. I was kinda at the same place this guy was a long time ago (still am with some weapons *cough*bamboozeler*cough*). But every time I was ignorant about something I at least come on here and ask about it. Instead of making videos like I actually knew what I was talking about.

StAidan

Interesting to see so many SplatGAF regulars admit that it was Splatoon that made them take the plunge on video capture equipment. Seriously, the game has too many awesome little moments/interactions for it not to have spectator modes and multi-POV replays and a large reason why I picked up my gear was because of that.

I'm in kind of a rough position at the moment because I bought an Elgato for Splatoon, but the only computer I can use it with is a laptop that my wife uses until she goes to bed, lol. So as it turns out, most of my best matches have still happened while I can't use the Elgato.

I'm saving up for a real capture machine, but probably won't be able to get it until Decemberish at the earliest :(

phanphare

Banned
yeah I've also been very close to buying a capture card specifically for Splatoon. it's something about this game in particular because I've never even thought of streaming before, let alone come this close to pulling the trigger. it will probably be a 2016 purchase though. funds are tight for the rest of the year.

I toasted up some squidbread.

pLdMT92.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Those plush toys came out in July and have sold out on sites like AmiAmi. There's a new set of colours coming out in October (Pink, Purple, Blue and Cyan).

J@hranimo

Banned
yeah I've also been very close to buying a capture card specifically for Splatoon. it's something about this game in particular because I've never even thought of streaming before, let alone come this close to pulling the trigger. it will probably be a 2016 purchase though. funds are tight for the rest of the year.

This has definitely been a thought for me as well. Not too sure how well my laptop will handle it though but I guess if I can stream Pac-man Championship Edition through OBS then it could be possible lol.

L95

I'm not really a fan of the bunnies, but maybe I'd have a different opinion if I hadn't played as a squid this whole time :B

I do prefer the ocean themed shopkeepers, though, instead of land animals. (Crocodile is pretty spiff though)

Gsnap

Yeah, I'd probably be ok with rabbits if I never knew about squids. But the squids just make a really cohesive game.

DaBoss

I have an old capture card I used to record older games (it uses composite and S-Video). I could use it with the Wii U, but I'd rather not.

If I wanted to get one, I would just go for one that would be more future proof (HDMI and 60fps).

Though the thing that makes me want to stream is my connection upgrade from a week or two ago that gives me a 10Mbps upload.

4628052469.png

I think I'll stay at A+ forever. :|

Also about Flounder Heights, some data shows that there's no Camp Triggerfish in regular battle and Splat zone since Aug 1st. Maybe Nintendo just replace those spots with Flounder Heights. Camp Triggerfish should show up again after tomorrow's update.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I have an old capture card I used to record older games (it uses composite and S-Video). I could use it with the Wii U, but I'd rather not.

If I wanted to get one, I would just go for one that would be more future proof (HDMI and 60fps).

Though the thing that makes me want to stream is my connection upgrade from a week or two ago that gives me a 10Mbps upload.

4628052469.png

How much does capture card that does HDMI and 60 fps cost?

Geg

I love it when my team gains control of the middle of walleye and my other teammates push forward toward their spawn area, because then I just get to chill out on the center boxes and take out anyone who makes it past them

Nico_D

There's one squad going on, can we get another?

Edit: I have a twin squad with Jeff. That can be turned into quad if there's enough interest.

Tijmen

I can't get the game to go online. Everything else on Wii U is working fine (e.g. eShop, browser, Mario Kart 8, ...). Help me out, please! I need to get my splat on. I'm from Europe by the way!

Capra

Here's a bunch of concept art from back when they were still thinking about rabbits being the main characters

Cool! Maybe later on after they make Octolings playable they'll continue to add new races every so often. It'd be neat if they brought the rabbits back, even if it'd be weird at first introducing land mammals to the game.

Shapeshifting rabbits from the moon wielding bamboozlers and bamboo-brushes. If you think about it, it really wouldn't be too out of place for this universe.

Cool! Maybe later on after they make Octolings playable they'll continue to add new races every so often. It'd be neat if they brought the rabbits back, even if it'd be weird at first introducing land mammals to the game.

Shapeshifting rabbits from the moon wielding bamboozlers and bamboo-brushes. If you think about it, it really wouldn't be too out of place for this universe.

I'd really rather we keep the game ocean-themed.

Judd excepted.

Ahnez

Well, after a few hours, I'm back to B+30 ..

At least I got around 60k doing this

And the .96 deco is soo good lol

Doorman

Splatoon topic dropping to page 2? I'll not have it!

Do any of the SplatGAF-elite folks use the Slosher as a main weapon? I tried it a few times shortly after it released and kinda wrote it off, but after a particularly bad early stretch during the last Splatfest, I tried it again on a "fuck it, I'm sucking right now anyway" whim and found myself actually doing halfway decent with it. I might just chalk it up as lower level competition but I found that suddenly I was doing a lot better getting splats with it than I ever had during my early tests. Are there any particularly important strategies to keep in mind aside from the knowns of attacking behind/around cover, and adding a damage up to build the quick burst bomb-to-slosh 2-hit combo kill?

Probably going to toy around with it some more tonight, regardless, but I hesitate to try bringing it into ranked rooms unless I feel like I actually know what I'm doing with it.

Heng

Splatoon topic dropping to page 2? I'll not have it!

Do any of the SplatGAF-elite folks use the Slosher as a main weapon? I tried it a few times shortly after it released and kinda wrote it off, but after a particularly bad early stretch during the last Splatfest, I tried it again on a "fuck it, I'm sucking right now anyway" whim and found myself actually doing halfway decent with it. I might just chalk it up as lower level competition but I found that suddenly I was doing a lot better getting splats with it than I ever had during my early tests. Are there any particularly important strategies to keep in mind aside from the knowns of attacking behind/around cover, and adding a damage up to build the quick burst bomb-to-slosh 2-hit combo kill?

Probably going to toy around with it some more tonight, regardless, but I hesitate to try bringing it into ranked rooms unless I feel like I actually know what I'm doing with it.
I think it's a pretty good weapon. You should try playing with enough damage up to kill with an indirect bomb and a direct hit with the bucket. It sort of reminds me of a blaster except I don't get rewarded with a 1 hit kill on direct contact. I would suggest bringing it to turf war and see if you're able to kill the people in that mode before trying it in ranked. The way it covers turf is also a bit weird too so TW would be pretty good the get the hang of the weapon.

I personally like running with 2 damage up since everyone is using defense up now.

1AM Splatoon shenanigans. Get the tower to 1 point away from capping on Underpass in the first 30 seconds, only for the other team to eventually cap the tower in god damn overtime. I fucking love my B+ rank.

Doorman

I think it's a pretty good weapon. You should try playing with enough damage up to kill with an indirect bomb and a direct hit with the bucket. It sort of reminds me of a blaster except I don't get rewarded with a 1 hit kill on direct contact. I would suggest bringing it to turf war and see if you're able to kill the people in that mode before trying it in ranked. The way it covers turf is also a bit weird too so TW would be pretty good the get the hang of the weapon.

I personally like running with 2 damage up since everyone is using defense up now.

Since the splatfest, I've typically been going with 1 damage up main, though I suppose I haven't formally tested just what that does or doesn't let me get away with. 2 would definitely help in case my bomb-aim game is a bit off for a couple rounds (seems to randomly come and go with me), but I'm a little more hesitant on that since I'm not sure just what other stat I might be willing to pass up on in order to focus on higher attack. I'm already running it with some ink saver main since repeated sloshes and liberal burst bomb use drain ink pretty quickly, and run speed to aid in maneuverability around cover during attacks. I've also got ink resistance going mostly because I'm not too confident in my escape options should someone have the time to get in and engage me directly. Also, I want to look fresh, of course, which has limited a few other options.

I think I started to understand the way the sloshes spread as far as aiming and everything goes, but I'm really not sure why combat felt better since the splatfest than it ever did before. Even if my tests on this don't work out, I definitely feel better about looking into future versions of the weapon type
unlike chargers and splatlings, which I have to straight up ignore due to being too awful to use them

late edit: Server maitenance! Just when I was about to jump into ranked, too. :p

Top Bottom