• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

L95

Starting to wish the cancel post button had a second prompt, this is like the 3rd time I've accidentally erased a half-finished miiverse drawing ;-;

Luigi87

Edit: After ten long days of owning this game, finally progress!

WVW69iWmKRQAPbWQ6m

Luigi87

It could be 100/100. It's not maximum cruelty yet.

lol

My match to get me to A- was a tad clutch in the end. My team got it to distance 11 left early on. So we held it in their base. For the last 30 seconds I decided it would be best if I held back to defend in case anyone on their team tried to overtake our base. They picked up the Rainmaker and the match goes into overtime. Good thing I defended, as the remaining three guys on my team went on offense and all got splat'd. Enemy team of three up pushed hard, had an inkstrike and a lot of splat bombs. I took one out, and fortunately was able to hold until my allies respawned. Almost lost it all, lol

ss-hikaru

I made an effort to kill him whenever I spot him, just because he's a Dynamo and I'm a brush ;D

Any tips for using brush? I tried out the Octobrush last night, I like the concept of the weapon and really want to use it, but it's so different to anything I've tried so far. Probably requires a completely different mentality/approach which I didn't manage to grasp in the three matches I used it in :p

Luigi87

ChrisD

100 points gets you to the next rank, so how would that be cruel lol.

Oh, it does? I know when ranking down you can land on 0/100 and not actually fall. You have to go past the threshold.

NVM, Luigi87, your game does hate you. But you showed it who's boss, congrats. :)

Luigi87

Oh, it does? I know when ranking down you can land on 0/100 and not actually fall. You have to go past the threshold.

NVM, Luigi87, your game does hate you. But you showed it who's boss, congrats. :)

lol, thanks.
Yeah, I was actually getting a few +7, -12 for a while, which was stinging hard, and this was only in the 60pt range, not the 80pt range @_@

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Any tips for using brush? I tried out the Octobrush last night, I like the concept of the weapon and really want to use it, but it's so different to anything I've tried so far. Probably requires a completely different mentality/approach which I didn't manage to grasp in the three matches I used it in :p

Yea, it's a completely different approach compared to a shooter. It relies heavily on sneaking when fighting other longer ranged guns. When you don't have great position to do that or is spotted first, it's best to use the roll to retreat and find a better place to ink and build special (in your case, you'll need kraken a lot). What are you having trouble with in particular? And I'm assuming just turf war tips right?

ChrisD

^Keep in mind when this guy says sneaking, he means super stealth mode. Felt like Metal Gear Friggin' Solid going against your Brush.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I just had my most memorable moment in Splatoon.

Match started, raced to the Rainmaker in Saltspray Rig and popped the shield.

Grabbed it, dove off the corner to the bottom level just next to the final climbable wall ( didn’t know I could do that ) sprayed the wall and swam up then sprayed the Rainmaker base then slammed it down. It all happened in seconds. I so deserve to get out of B rank. This is bullshit. Damn disconnects.

I just had my most memorable moment in Splatoon.

Match started, raced to the Rainmaker in Saltspray Rig and popped the shield.

Grabbed it, dove off the corner to the bottom level just next to the final climbable wall ( didn’t know I could do that ) sprayed the wall and swam up then sprayed the Rainmaker base then slammed it down. It all happened in seconds. I so deserve to get out of B rank. This is bullshit. Damn disconnects.

Hahaha, this sounds awesome.

EulaCapra

Holy shit, I've been checking the rotation schedule periodically today and it's Flounder Heights, Flounder Heights, Flounder Heights literally all day erryday.

ChrisD

Holy shit, I've been checking the rotation schedule periodically today and it's Flounder Heights, Flounder Heights, Flounder Heights literally all day erryday.

hahahahahha
You don't know the half of it

What I was saying a few days ago about Krakens moving the tower forward being dumb? It's past that, the enemies just ran the tower an easy 30~ distance by taking turns sitting duck on it as Kraken. There's not a thing to do but try and knock them off, and that's a silly goal to accomplish in Tower Control with the obelisk in the middle.

ss-hikaru

Yea, it's a completely different approach compared to a shooter. It relies heavily on sneaking when fighting other longer ranged guns. When you don't have great position to do that or is spotted first, it's best to use the roll to retreat and find a better place to ink and build special (in your case, you'll need kraken a lot). What are you having trouble with in particular? And I'm assuming just turf war tips right?

Atm just turf war, although there are some brushes that seem like they might be good for tower control (mine sub). So gotta get good at my escape game? XD Ninja/stealth swimming (or whatever it's called) might be a good ability to get... My 'problems' are more I don't feel like I contribute, not in terms of inking and not in terms of kills. I'm sorry, but what do you mean by roll to retreat? >.>

^Keep in mind when this guy says sneaking, he means super stealth mode. Felt like Metal Gear Friggin' Solid going against your Brush.

Haha! I thought that might be the case, I'm not sure if I have the patience to pull it off. But then again I thought the same about having to charge on the splatling and I'm actually loving that weapon. Was up against a really good octobrush two nights ago which made me think damn I didn't realise brushes could be so good. I feel like I don't see them very often and when I do the players aren't that hard to deal with. I've just been lucky I guess!

I've never even bought one from Ammoknights haha

Same! Unless you count brushes as rollers but really they are so different :p I might get one eventually, Splatoon is great in making me move out of my comfort zone and try different weapons. It's just so fuuuuun.

ChrisD

I should have stuck with what I said earlier and not played anymore today. Three Krakens taking turns to push you back into the abyss of your side Walleye Warehouse is beyond stupid. I swear these guys must be using voice communication.

This isn't "downhill" from the earlier games, this is just poor planning, period.

Nico_D

I swear these guys must be using voice communication..

I mostly spot the use of voice chat when I'm flanking an opponent from the side or behind and somehow he knows I'm coming and runs - or turns around and kills me. Most likely informed by someone else in their team.

That or I need to change my creaking shoes.

ss-hikaru

So looking up on the Octobrush a bit more, Sheldon says "No need to hesitate— you can always use the Kraken to run away in a pinch. Your team will love you!"
I play on a JP Wii U so I don't bother trying to read his message for every weapon...or any weapon at all for that matter

So official approval to use Kraken to run away? I can do that XD But will my team mates really love me for it? I kinda doubt it :p

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Atm just turf war, although there are some brushes that seem like they might be good for tower control (mine sub). So gotta get good at my escape game? XD Ninja/stealth swimming (or whatever it's called) might be a good ability to get... My 'problems' are more I don't feel like I contribute, not in terms of inking and not in terms of kills. I'm sorry, but what do you mean by roll to retreat? >.>

Haha! I thought that might be the case, I'm not sure if I have the patience to pull it off. But then again I thought the same about having to charge on the splatling and I'm actually loving that weapon. Was up against a really good octobrush two nights ago which made me think damn I didn't realise brushes could be so good. I feel like I don't see them very often and when I do the players aren't that hard to deal with. I've just been lucky I guess!

Same! Unless you count brushes as rollers but really they are so different :p I might get one eventually, Splatoon is great in making me move out of my comfort zone and try different weapons. It's just so fuuuuun.

When you hold the ZR button, you roll right? I don't know what else to describe it, so I call it rolling xD haha that movement is much faster than swimming so it's a better escape option is what I'm saying. Ninja squid will be good for starters, if you wanna practice sneaking around, but once you get good enough you don't need it. I personally don't run it. Cold blooded tho, is much more useful since being echolocated is such a pain and will sabotage any plan that involves sneaking.

Tips on inking and in general contributing to the team depends on which map really. I could go into specifics if you have trouble in certain maps, but usually you want to be in high elevated areas if you want to ink a lot of turf. From there, keep a lookout on where enemies are and decide: should I sneak and help teammates kill them, or go pass them and infiltrate their base? Also, since you're an octobrush, learn where to place your beacons - usually in hard to see angles from your opponents pov. That can contribute to you and your team, if they use them too haha. Kraken also helps in infiltrating the enemy's base. But most of all, just keep a good eye on where every enemy is, by using the gamepad map or seeing them out in the open and test out approaches.

ChrisD

So looking up on the Octobrush a bit more, Sheldon says "No need to hesitate— you can always use the Kraken to run away in a pinch. Your team will love you!"
I play on a JP Wii U so I don't bother trying to read his message for every weapon...or any weapon at all for that matter

So official approval to use Kraken to run away? I can do that XD But will my team mates really love me for it? I kinda doubt it :p

Sheldon confirmed wimpy player. Probably uses his shell as a permanent splash wall, too.

E: When you hold the Splat Zone all game and then lose it to someone's delaying ink, then die to ???. Japan please.

E2: S 69 to S 29 in another, salt-filled, angry session. Note to self: I REALLY DO MEAN IT, STOP PLAYING SPLAT ZONES, STOP PLAYING ON TILT, AND STOP PLAYING WHEN YOU KNOW EVERYONE IS JAPANESE.

Back to your scheduled programming.

ss-hikaru

When you hold the ZR button, you roll right? I don't know what else to describe it, so I call it rolling xD haha that movement is much faster than swimming so it's a better escape option is what I'm saying. Ninja squid will be good for starters, if you wanna practice sneaking around, but once you get good enough you don't need it. I personally don't run it. Cold blooded tho, is much more useful since being echolocated is such a pain and will sabotage any plan that involves sneaking.

Tips on inking and in general contributing to the team depends on which map really. I could go into specifics if you have trouble in certain maps, but usually you want to be in high elevated areas if you want to ink a lot of turf. From there, keep a lookout on where enemies are and decide: should I sneak and help teammates kill them, or go pass them and infiltrate their base? Also, since you're an octobrush, learn where to place your beacons - usually in hard to see angles from your opponents pov. That can contribute to you and your team, if they use them too haha. Kraken also helps in infiltrating the enemy's base. But most of all, just keep a good eye on where every enemy is, by using the gamepad map or seeing them out in the open and test out approaches.

Thanks so much! I'll give the brush another try tonight :) I might end up coming back and asking more questions once I've got the basics down XD

E: When you hold the Splat Zone all game and then lose it to someone's delaying ink, then die to ???. Japan please.

That's what it's like for Aussies playing with Europeans. Why are we lumped in with Europe again?
Yes I know it's probably because of UK English. or cos no one else wants to take us
Makes for the laggiest splatfests
so glad I'm using the JP Wii U!

ChrisD

Thanks so much! I'll give the brush another try tonight :) I might end up coming back and asking more questions once I've got the basics down XD

That's what it's like for Aussies playing with Europeans. Why are we lumped in with Europe again?
Yes I know it's probably because of UK English. or cos no one else wants to take us
Makes for the laggiest splatfests
so glad I'm using the JP Wii U!

I feel so bad for Australia when it comes to online gaming. I used to play an indie MOBA called Awesomenauts every day for hours - I still play it, but much, much less - and I tell you, one of the most annoying things was playing as an American against an Australian, and an Australian an American. You see, the game runs on Peer-to-Peer, so if people are a large distance apart... Things don't go well. At all. If something hits on your screen, it hurts the enemy, even if they haven't seen your attack yet. We'd always end up both complaining about the things not hitting on our screens.

There was a hilarious video someone from the community made, but it seems the uploader took down all his content. :( Basically, a character used an Explode move, jumped in front of the player, but the player took a jump pad. He's now miiiiiiles away from the Explode. I think you can take a guess at how that went down.

ANYWAYS, I spoke with a few Aussies for a while and asked why they played on Worldwide settings instead of Regional Only. And they said much the same, Regional implies Europe for some reason. At that point, they're going to have a rough game anyways, may as well go Worldwide.

oh jeez I'm just blabbering now. I should go to bed early.

Vecks

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the slosher. Doing okay with it now. The way it hits is a lot narrower than it looks, but I think I'm able to hit more often with some additional flicking of the wrist. Also, at first I thought burst bombs were kind of redundant, but now I feel like it's indispensable. I think I'll stick with this as my main.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Nintendo Life has a hugely intresting article about the origin of the Rainmaker.

The historical background of The Fish.

Really cool and fascinating.

Splatoon has to be the most popular online shooter in Japanese history. Shooters in general have never been popular in Japan, compared to South Korea, but I can't think of another shooter on any console that has such a strong and fervent fanbase based on the sales alone. We all see those S+ Japanese teams when we squad up.

Who could've predicted a year ago that Splatoon would go on to outsell Smash 4 in Japan. IMO it will probably hit 1 Million in Japan alone by the end of the year.

Pikma

Banned
I fucking hate RM because it's the mode where I feel I depend the most on my teammates and most of the time said teammates suck ass.

Nico_D

I linked a Kotaku article about lag issues to Nintendolife who decided to do a bullshit debate article about it. Instead of, like in real journalism, doing some research and maybe asking from Nintendo.

It is funny though how some people think that if they don't have any lag issues, no one else can't have either. This same principle of course goes to all matters in life.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I linked a Kotaku article about lag issues to Nintendolife who decided to do a bullshit debate article about it. Instead of, like in real journalism, doing some research and maybe asking from Nintendo.

It is funny though how some people think that if they don't have any lag issues, no one else can't have either. This same principle of course goes to all matters in life.
Was the article the one with the tweets? lol

Nico_D

Was the article the one with the tweets? lol

Yeah, there were some lag-wise irrelevant complaints in those tweets too but I wrote a short note to concentrate on the lag. That doesn't change the fact that the actual problem still exists. I don't necessarily see how regional servers would solve everything since Splatfests have had some serious lag issues too - but Nintendo should at least acknowledge the situation and try to do something. Or maybe they're are doing something, who knows.

There's some exceptional Japanese players online like the ones we encountered this morning in Splatzones at Bluefin Depot. They just destroyed us. But there are times when I just can't tell why everything seems to go hell and nothing works.

I'm not the best player out there, I know this, but sometimes this game just gets on my nerves. And I love the game, it's one of the very best (online) games of recent years but damn can it also be frustrating.

StAidan

Took my Octobrush to rank A+ for the first time last night! With it being tower control I really had the best chance of doing it. I played and won the 3 rounds necessary to rank up, and then I spent the rest of the evening chilling in Discord chat and turf war. Didn't want to risk losing A+ the same night that I got it :)

Top Bottom