• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

The worst part is that flounder Heights is my favourite map in turf war, and it contantly being in rotation ruins it for me.
Also, just unlocked ranked mode and holy shit, Rainmaker is so much fun.

ChrisD

The worst part is that flounder Heights is my favourite map in turf war, and it contantly being in rotation ruins it for me.
Also, just unlocked ranked mode and holy shit, Rainmaker is so much fun.

Another Rainmaker fan!? You know what's up. :D
I feel the same! It took a bit to warm up to the map, but I did. It's a fun map. Then it came back. And again, again, again...

Doesn't help that it seems to have taken the place of Camp Triggerfish ever showing up.

nom

If you're on the Discord server you've probably seen me moan a lot about slowdown issues I've had since the 2.0.0 patch

well, it's all good now :D it was either the 2.1.0 patch or changing my Wii U settings down to 720p, I haven't had a problem since. It seems to be a rare problem but if anyone else has experienced this maybe try turning down your settings to 720p.

OMG, finally finished the last Amiibo mission by defeating DJ Octavio with the roller. I never thought I was going to make it through that last section but staying hidden in ink unless the octo-ball was coming at me was the winning strategy. I never noticed the missiles and stuff go to the last place where you were visible before today.

Vecks

If you're on the Discord server you've probably seen me moan a lot about slowdown issues I've had since the 2.0.0 patch

well, it's all good now :D it was either the 2.1.0 patch or changing my Wii U settings down to 720p, I haven't had a problem since. It seems to be a rare problem but if anyone else has experienced this maybe try turning down your settings to 720p.

What kind of slowdown issues? Like frame rate drops? I did notice those in the past, but I think the patch might have fixed it.

nom

What kind of slowdown issues? Like frame rate drops? I did notice those in the past, but I think the patch might have fixed it.

There's the slowdown/frame rate drops you get on Blackbelly Skatepark when everyone spams a bomb rush

but I was (or I felt like) getting some slowdown any time I got in close with an enemy which the enemy seemed to be unaffected by. It's hard to explain and maybe I was just imagining it but after the 2.0.0 patch the game just felt off slightly and I wasn't able to play how I normally did. Right now, things are like how they used to be.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
rpL2o6H.jpg

I was really bored. Damn it Spyke.

StAidan

Watching fiveleafclover's struggle with B+ on his new account makes me feel a lot better about how long it took me to escape that purgatory. He JUST reached A- and the timer on his twitch stream testifies to 7 hours and 20 minutes stuck in B+.

OTOH, this was his first time using the bamboozler... lol.

ChrisD

OMG, finally finished the last Amiibo mission by defeating DJ Octavio with the roller. I never thought I was going to make it through that last section but staying hidden in ink unless the octo-ball was coming at me was the winning strategy. I never noticed the missiles and stuff go to the last place where you were visible before today.

Will keep that in mind when I run through the challenges. It was a fun fight with Charger, but I haven't tried with Roller since it sounds much less so.

So there was some thing somethingsomething, from Discord thingies I said:

First part is just saying that the purpose of this table is compare the different weapon's attack ranges and stuff

Okay, second header's about what he plans on adding

First subsection is "Stamina". It'll be shooting time for shooters, number of swings for rollers, number of fully charged shots for chargers

Third sub section is just about damage, middle one is "Rapid Fire Performance" and then a bunch of stuff that just goes over my head

And that's how you do a super duper rough translation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Will keep that in mind when I run through the challenges. It was a fun fight with Charger, but I haven't tried with Roller since it sounds much less so.

It might come from using roller exclusively but I found it much easier than the charger on DJ Octavio. Some of the other missions are brutal with the roller though.

RedFyn

There's the slowdown/frame rate drops you get on Blackbelly Skatepark when everyone spams a bomb rush

but I was (or I felt like) getting some slowdown any time I got in close with an enemy which the enemy seemed to be unaffected by. It's hard to explain and maybe I was just imagining it but after the 2.0.0 patch the game just felt off slightly and I wasn't able to play how I normally did. Right now, things are like how they used to be.
You weren't imagining it. V2.0 tanked parks frame rate.

After tonight I need a break from Tower Control. So many times I would call "C'mon" to try to get people to help me move the tower but they would be too busy doing something else even when the enemies only had one or nobody standing. I went up to A+ 96.... then down to 12 and rebounded to 50. I really, really need to stop playing on tilt.

On a lighter note, this never fails to at least get a chuckle out of me:
Y0zVsJa.png

It's that look of "Oh Christ, we gotta talk to that guy."

Fuck yeah!!!

WVW69iWytroBlJ6Jrh

Finally got to S rank. I've been hovering around A+80 for weeks now, always those two remaining wins keeping me from S but I would always go on a loosing streak to 50 or something. And it's probably because you tend to focus on the negatives, but it goddamn felt like every time there S players in the lobby they would be on the same team against me fucking over my game. Then just now at A+89, I get in a group with 2 A+ and 1 A against 3 S and an A on bluefin. They get the zone immediately and I can already see me loosing yet another time until the timer stops at 3, we get a comeback! and we win! Phew! I change lobby, as that was way too close, but funny enough... pitted against 3 S players, no S on my team, Kelp Dome. But this time my team dominates, I pick off the S players 1 by 1 as the rest of my team secure the zone. I win with a crazy kill rate of 19-1. So what a nice way to finally eat yourself into S, now back to some turf.

J@hranimo

Banned
Gaf lives!

Congrats Metroid Killer! S rank feels so good.

Also Mini Splatling is fun as hell, but I think I prefer the heavy variant over it.

ChrisD

When a Japanese player squid kids you, but they all share some hiragana and three are using the same weapon.
Squid kid on every Splatling kill, just in case it's the right one

ChrisD

Got a win on lock, two seconds left, Rainmaker carrier died, but it's good. They can't pop it in time. Too bad, the game gave them overtime as we're fighting over the bubble. They popped it and took the win. Keep in mind the OT clock had been going for EASILY thirty seconds at this point, with ten of it being a fight over the bubble. Next round, things play out the same, but we're on the losing side. I figured we'd have it on lock if we just popped the bubble. lol, get out of here, the game ended when the clock ran. No OT. I'm not buying the requirements for Overtime being, "losing side have objective in hand," after seeing that.

Also, mixed A/A+/S/S+ lobbies, and you get the idiots! Those are fun!

The S/A coaster never stops. Ever.

E: Welcome back, A+. Glad three of my partners were out inking turf instead of stopping the RM from his walk to the pedestal.

E2: A+ 86 already. Freaking lol.

Last edit: Now A+ 92. I should have gone to bed forever ago, but I want to keep this streak up and get back. I swear, this is the last game. Even typing it out. >_>

Doorman

Got a win on lock, two seconds left, Rainmaker carrier died, but it's good. They can't pop it in time. Too bad, the game gave them overtime as we're fighting over the bubble. They popped it and took the win. Keep in mind the OT clock had been going for EASILY thirty seconds at this point, with ten of it being a fight over the bubble. Next round, things play out the same, but we're on the losing side. I figured we'd have it on lock if we just popped the bubble. lol, get out of here, the game ended when the clock ran. No OT. I'm not buying the requirements for Overtime being, "losing side have objective in hand," after seeing that.

Yeah, on Tower Control and Splat Zones I feel like the overtime rules are sensible enough, but the way it works on Rainmaker is a bit weird. I feel like I've seen it trigger OT if the time runs out and the Rainmaker's shield is still up, but not if the time runs out after the shield's been popped even if nobody's claimed it. I could be (and probably am) wrong.

DaBoss

If the winning team just lost the rainmaker before the timer is up, OT will begin. If the losing team still has the rainmaker when the timer is up, OT will begin. If the losing team lost the rainmaker before the timer is up, OT will not begin unless they get the rainmaker back.

Doorman

If the winning team just lost the rainmaker before the timer is up, OT will begin. If the losing team still has the rainmaker when the timer is up, OT will begin. If the losing team lost the rainmaker before the timer is up, OT will not begin unless they get the rainmaker back.

Hm, interesting that it keeps track of "previous possession" like that as being a determinant of OT rules, as opposed to just whatever the Rainmaker's current status is. I guess I can understand they have the systems in place to keep track of it since it's needed in assigning penalty time during Splat Zones matches, but weird that they choose to apply it in that way.

69wpm

I stopped Playing for over a week, started again today only to get upset yet again. I lost a game because of Japanese lag on Camp. I had the RM, made my way to the end after fighting off a bunch of enemies. One Japanese guy was on the right and splatted me after I swam way past the wall.

Another game same map: I carry the RM to the same point, my team mate picks it up, looses it. The RM somehow respawns in the middle. I jump back to the spawn because I see the enemy picking it up, rush to the point where the enemy has to put it down. Spam the come here button because not one dip shit sees that the enemy has the RM. I can't kill them, we loose.

Third time is the charm, right? Nope. We had some idiot on the team who would pick up the RM only to loose it every fucking time somewhere in the middle. I managed to snag it and carried it nearly to the end by myself with no help. Still wasn't enough because that idiot wasted minutes of our time.

Somehow the match making is so screwed up that I always manage to get mixed up with teams where I loose a match within seconds or minutes, yet I sit there sweating like a pig for the whole game + over time trying to win 8 fucking points because the enemy team is nearly always good. When I loose, it's -12. Fuck you, Splatoon. I nearly made it to S rank, had like 18 points left :(

DaBoss

Hm, interesting that it keeps track of "previous possession" like that as being a determinant of OT rules, as opposed to just whatever the Rainmaker's current status is. I guess I can understand they have the systems in place to keep track of it since it's needed in assigning penalty time during Splat Zones matches, but weird that they choose to apply it in that way.
It only applies if what I said happens in about the last 10 seconds. If it doesn't, then the criteria for OT being met doesn't matter.
Finally reach S rank!!!! :D :D :D
COJtMMzUAAAbqHH.jpg:large
Congrats.
This happens when someone with the RM jumps off the stage.
That only happens if you jump off on your side of the map or the countdown runs out while on your side of the map with the rainmaker.

This happens when someone with the RM jumps off the stage.
The rainmaker can appear in one of two places actually:
-The ledge nearest you fell
-In the middle
The game picks the one which is most advantageous (i.e. whichever of those is furthest from the goal of whoever fell off).

Yeah the last 30 points in A+ is painful, since after A+ 70 the basic ups and downs are +8/-12, being in an S/A+/A room wont help, A+/A/A- room is even worse.

ChrisD

Thanks for clearing that up, DaBoss.

It's cool to know more specifics, but the criteria should be so much clearer. Just put it all in the Info tab, confound it. There's also nothing on how "Retreat" speeds up the clock exponentially.

Still my favorite Ranked, but these things keep popping up that you can't know without trial and error.

Finally reach S rank!!!! :D :D :D
COJtMMzUAAAbqHH.jpg:large

Grats!

Top Bottom