• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

story latios or eon latios? If the former...best of luck.
Story because I hate myself.

Going for HP Ground because I really hate myself.

EDIT: For those not familiar with Pokemon I'm basically going for a 3 Damage Ups on a headband with Damage Up by getting a fresh one from Spyke over and over instead of rerolling like a normal person.

Nico_D

Just for the heck it I tried Ranged Blaster in Turf Wars. That thing is just as ridiculous as I've thought it is. I didn't aim, I just pointed it to the general direction and kept popping, killing people. Granted, not that many, eight at most, but I tried only twice.

It's slow as hell and I bet you need some tactics with it to do better but still my first feeling is that it's too easy to rack kills with it.

ChrisD

Did you get back to S?

As you noticed in your two Blaster games, racking kills is rather simple. Lots of kills in A+ usually means a win. So I'm back for now.

I can't use Range Blaster, not sure what you were doing with it to make it work. Lots of self made choke points with walls? Do you just use the explode?

Something I've noticed with Blaster is that it's easy for Shooters/Snipers to kill you if you're in an open space. There are all sorts of approaches to take, and once they get up next to you you either need Godlike aim or you die since the explosions can't catch them. The option of running isn't even available since you can't ink a path.

(Imo) It's why they're great at Tower Control/Rainmaker, but seem lacking in Turf War and Splat Zones.

I remember playing tower control in a squad a while back, at the end of one game I only ended up with 3 kills because it felt like every time I was about to kill someone, Emil or Kasumi would show up out of nowhere to finish them off before I could land the final hit lol

Kill steals: the leading cause of teammates looking bad. Join the cause, stop the theft of murder!

So I don't mind accepting that I'm an A- player at the moment, considering my terrible aim, but dealing with Port Mackerel in ranked really pissed me off last night.

I think the worst was attempting to leave narrow corridors or fight around tight corners on that map. While we're fighting in the middle lanes out of the spawn points, I can pressure and kill people just fine, but if I'm not using a splash wall then I don't know how I'm supposed to break out of the exit. The worst thing I guess is that I'm in a specific position and can only move forward and back, and if the exit comes out into a lot of enemy ink then they can attack from almost any angle in front of me. Almost the same thing with the criss-cross alleys in the middle, but I'm pretty used to dealing with that in normal Turf Wars.

I have a jet squelcher, which is bad for close range, burst bombs which are good but eat up my ink quickly so I need to know which direction to throw them in, and kraken which is my best option for dealing with corners, but isn't always available.

So far it really looks like my best choice is to just not go into the middle spawn lanes and fight from the side lanes and balconies. Anyone with advice or strategy that they're willing to provide me?

Heng

It's slow as hell and I bet you need some tactics with it to do better but still my first feeling is that it's too easy to rack kills with it.
I think it's a pretty good weapon, and you may not have the same success in ranked and squad. In there, you have people who are focused on killing and they always prioritize blasters above all class (at least in the higher ranks). You really can't approach someone the same way you do with a blaster/lunar blaster because if you miss, you're basically dead.

I can't use Range Blaster, not sure what you were doing with it to make it work. Lots of self made choke points with walls? Do you just use the explode?

Something I've noticed with Blaster is that it's easy for Shooters/Snipers to kill you if you're in an open space. There are all sorts of approaches to take, and once they get up next to you you either need Godlike aim or you die since the explosions can't catch them. The option of running isn't even available since you can't ink a path.

(Imo) It's why they're great at Tower Control/Rainmaker, but seem lacking in Turf War and Splat Zones.
I personally think they're great on all modes. I would have to see how you play to give you tips.

I don't really struggle with shooters or chargers unless the charger has extremely good aim (like hit 100% of his shots or close to it). Some problems you're having might be due to being too aggressive. Usually I don't try to kill my targets until I've inked a good part of the area between me and him/her. The only exception to this is chargers which you have to rush. Walls are a great way to close the distance between you and the charger, but be careful because throwing the splash wall will leave you 2 or 3 shots before you completely run out of ink.

If you want to get better at aiming when you need the direct shots, I suggest you pick up a charger. It'll help you more than you think it will, especially against those who try to rush you.

Vecks

So I don't mind accepting that I'm an A- player at the moment, considering my terrible aim, but dealing with Port Mackerel in ranked really pissed me off last night.

I think the worst was attempting to leave narrow corridors or fight around tight corners on that map. While we're fighting in the middle lanes out of the spawn points, I can pressure and kill people just fine, but if I'm not using a splash wall then I don't know how I'm supposed to break out of the exit. The worst thing I guess is that I'm in a specific position and can only move forward and back, and if the exit comes out into a lot of enemy ink then they can attack from almost any angle in front of me. Almost the same thing with the criss-cross alleys in the middle, but I'm pretty used to dealing with that in normal Turf Wars.

I have a jet squelcher, which is bad for close range, burst bombs which are good but eat up my ink quickly so I need to know which direction to throw them in, and kraken which is my best option for dealing with corners, but isn't always available.

So far it really looks like my best choice is to just not go into the middle spawn lanes and fight from the side lanes and balconies. Anyone with advice or strategy that they're willing to provide me?

I think there's really not much you can do about that except go on the sides. The middle by the spawn point is particularly difficult to break through since there are only two lanes that are pretty close together, so it's easy to block off and guard. Using the sides will break their concentration and make them look elsewhere or get flanked. If you want to break through the middle safely, you'll need subs or specials, like following a seeker, using bubble, kraken, echo, etc.

I think there's really not much you can do about that except go on the sides. The middle by the spawn point is particularly difficult to break through since there are only two lanes that are pretty close together, so it's easy to block off and guard. Using the sides will break their concentration and make them look elsewhere or get flanked. If you want to break through the middle safely, you'll need subs or specials, like following a seeker, using bubble, kraken, echo, etc.
Hmmm..... so then it sounds like those parts of the map basically suck for every weapon until they get specials. Are there any loadouts that can reliably break out of that lock without specials?

Vecks

Hmmm..... so then it sounds like those parts of the map basically suck for every weapon until they get specials. Are there any loadouts that can reliably break out of that lock without specials?

Subs then?
Well, like you said, splash walls are good. I've seen people use it aggressively to get deeper into enemy territory. They throw out a splash wall and get in under it, weaving back and forth through it. It's really hard to kill them because you can't tell if you're hitting them or the wall. Doing that will allow you to advance, but you'll need to kill fast to survive. If you could just kill one person like that, while being a bit deeper in, maybe your team will find a chance to get out.

Seekers are also good on port mackerel, since they'll travel far on a straight path. People generally dodge the seekers or ignore them, so if you sneak right in with the seeker, they probably won't hit you. Most people don't use seekers since there are only 2 (?) weapons with it, so that might catch them off guard.

And if your main issue is that you have no idea where they'll come from because the whole area is covered in enemy ink, then point sensor will help out there. Disruptor would sort of work, but you'd need line of sight for that.

If your favorite weapons don't really have those subs, maybe you could just throw suction/splat bombs from the safety of the side/balcony and hope for the best. It'll push them back at least, since a bomb threat can't easily be nullified. Burst bombs probably won't help that much in such a scenario.

WALKMAN04

I'm tired of playing with randoms. My ID is SkeletalSam if anybody would be kind enough to add me.
If you make a discord, details in second post of the thread, there are some people playing turf war that could probably add you, I would have added you to play with them but I seem to be disconnecting in every match at the moment.

ryechu

playing solo ranked in A+ on my smurf as a blaster and man is this easy. Did A+ seriously devolve to the point the flank and spank never fails?

Geg

If you make a discord, details in second post of the thread, there are some people playing turf war that could probably add you, I would have added you to play with them but I seem to be disconnecting in every match at the moment.

Is your name still Geg?

Mr. Sam

Went 4-0 about fifty seconds into a game. My team still managed to throw it.

I'm in genuine awe at how incompetent my team-mates have been lately. So frustrating.

Doorman

Wheeeee salty as fuck. B- is not a place where I should be ending a session at a lower level than where I started, especially when I'm tops of my team every round.

What I've learned is that for all the talk of considering the .96 my "main" for doing well with it in turf wars and my earliest rank matches...I'm starting to think I might actually suck with it now that other players have gotten more competitive. Made the swap over to slosher and instantly started doing better. Might have to test this out more later, since none of the other weapons I tend to use feel like they're very well suited for splat zones at all.

Vecks

I'm tired of playing with randoms. My ID is SkeletalSam if anybody would be kind enough to add me.

I added you.

Wheeeee salty as fuck. B- is not a place where I should be ending a session at a lower level than where I started, especially when I'm tops of my team every round.

What I've learned is that for all the talk of considering the .96 my "main" for doing well with it in turf wars and my earliest rank matches...I'm starting to think I might actually suck with it now that other players have gotten more competitive. Made the swap over to slosher and instantly started doing better. Might have to test this out more later, since none of the other weapons I tend to use feel like they're very well suited for splat zones at all.

I'm trying to learn how to play slosher too. I think it's pretty good for splat zones. And I had moderate success with it on tower control.

Doorman

I'm trying to learn how to play slosher too. I think it's pretty good for splat zones. And I had moderate success with it on tower control.

It's an intriguing weapon that I'm still kind of on the fence about when it comes to whether I want to put real time into it. I tried it early when it came out, dismissed it because of how poorly I did with it, and picked it up again while angry at myself during the last splatfest, only to surprisingly do fairly well with it at a time I'd really expected to fail.

I liked it during this last rotation (Zones on Neo Underpass and Kelp Dome) since both of those areas feature big elevation shifts right in the middle of the map, so for instance the slosher turns out pretty well for attacking people on the middle of the dome without you having to climb yourself up there first. The splash is wide enough that you get a bit of aim-forgiveness too, which is nice, but you do generally need to pace your attacks carefully.

Bit of a tossup for me between whether I'd rather use it or the regular Splattershot, since they seem to fall into similar range and similar "weaken with burst bombs then finish with main weapon" combat style, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to have options.

ChrisD

Just went 5/0 in a thirty second Flounder Heights Rainmaker match. Also got to make the dunk. That round we were a well oiled machine, despite everyone being randoms!

Also, random thought that just occurred to me; could two players super-hopping to each other at the same time have any applications? It'd basically be a role/position swap.

E: Just watched the vid, Alba. That's a great general guide! Having quick snipes montages makes the weapon more enticing to pick up, too.

WALKMAN04

Just went 5/0 in a thirty second Flounder Heights Rainmaker match. Also got to make the dunk. That round we were a well oiled machine, despite everyone being randoms!

Also, random thought that just occurred to me; could two players super-hopping to each other at the same time could have any applications? It'd basically be a role/position swap.
If they had stealth jump that would be cool, I know if 2 teammates are on the tower and one jumps to the other that is kind of a strategy because both of you most likely would not die at the same time and the tower may get a little further

Edit: just so you guys know I'm testing my connection if I'm lagging let me know

Edit2: my lag seems to be less now

Edit3: Danmaku is a guy I met in Splatfest, seems he is pretty good

ChrisD

You don't seem to be lagging.
Sorry I'm not on Discord, brother's on the computer, and my iPod is too outdated for the app.

Doorman

When will Flounder Heights 24/7 end?

From 10AM EDT September 2nd, Flounder Heights has at least been in every rotation either as a map for Regular or Ranked Battles.

It makes me wonder if the devs themselves can't stop Flounder Heights 24/7 from happening.

It's the strangest mystery of the game to me. Even back when we only had 5 maps to start off with, it never felt like there was one map that was this ever-present. Every time I boot up the game now and check the news report, I die inside a little.

edit:
At least we can try out this cool looking jump (from Reddit): http://gfycat.com/LivelyDistortedAustraliancattledog

...Oh boy. Flounder Heights removed from the rotation until Nintendo patches this?
Will our hell finally end thanks to another jump exploit?

ChrisD

It baffles me that Nintendo haven't patched it. Random is random, so it is entirely possible that we keep getting sucky luck of the draw. But I don't buy that. It's just busted.

WALKMAN04

I disconnected from you guys, tried to rejoin and disconnected, going to give it a few minutes since nothing seemed to open on my iPad either

ChrisD

Yo, Doorman, are you Clive in-game? Mind if I add you? Noticed the Bucket, so I'm just guessing.

I know a lot of the names I just saw are GAF, but I don't know name-username. Like which one of you are Emil, for instance. :p

Mellopillow

Neo Member
When will Flounder Heights 24/7 end?

From 10AM EDT September 2nd, Flounder Heights has at least been in every rotation either as a map for Regular or Ranked Battles.

It makes me wonder if the devs themselves can't stop Flounder Heights 24/7 from happening.

At least we can try out this cool looking jump (from Reddit): http://gfycat.com/LivelyDistortedAustraliancattledog

I can do the jump with one swim speed up main, don't know about no swim speed ups haha. I don't think it's that useful in rainmaker, since you already have a path leading up there tho. Turf wars maybe, if you can get it consistently

You don't seem to be lagging.
Sorry I'm not on Discord, brother's on the computer, and my iPod is too outdated for the app.

Are you the chris that's sniping?
Edit: I'm emil

If they had stealth jump that would be cool, I know if 2 teammates are on the tower and one jumps to the other that is kind of a strategy because both of you most likely would not die at the same time and the tower may get a little further

Edit: just so you guys know I'm testing my connection if I'm lagging let me know

Edit2: my lag seems to be less now

Edit3: Danmaku is a guy I met in Splatfest, seems he is pretty good

I made an effort to kill him whenever I spot him, just because he's a Dynamo and I'm a brush ;D

ffdgh

It's the strangest mystery of the game to me. Even back when we only had 5 maps to start off with, it never felt like there was one map that was this ever-present. Every time I boot up the game now and check the news report, I die inside a little.

edit:

...Oh boy. Flounder Heights removed from the rotation until Nintendo patches this?
Will our hell finally end thanks to another jump exploit?

We can only hope it catches on. Hopefully it can be done in rain maker so they'll have no choice but to take it out lol

Doorman

Yo, Doorman, are you Clive in-game? Mind if I add you? Noticed the Bucket, so I'm just guessing.

I know a lot of the names I just saw are GAF, but I don't know name-username. Like which one of you are Emil, for instance. :p

Nah, I'm also Doorman in-game. I had a few GAF folks added to my list in the game's early days but I've done so little of anything outside of tinkering with weapon loadouts in turf wars that I haven't actually done much playing at all with anybody here yet. I'm still working up to a point where I feel like I'm not a total detriment to any squad or room I join. :p

Also I still need to get onto Discord. I fired it up and reserved Doorman as a name on there too, but haven't gotten any further in the process than that. Perhaps this weekend!

WALKMAN04

It probably isn't doorman, since I don't have him, maybe Emil does, and yeah Emil is mellopillow.
I can do the jump with one swim speed up main, don't know about no swim speed ups haha. I don't think it's that useful in rainmaker, since you already have a path leading up there tho. Turf wars maybe, if you can get it consistently

Are you the chris that's sniping?

I made an effort to kill him whenever I spot him, just because he's a Dynamo and I'm a brush ;D
I've only ever seen him play Dynamo, but he is pretty good at it

ChrisD

you the chris that's sniping?

If waving a laser pointer around and missing 90% of my shots still constitutes as sniping, yes. :p Still don't got it, I'm afraid.

Nah, I'm also Doorman in-game. I had a few GAF folks added to my list in the game's early days but I've done so little of anything outside of tinkering with weapon loadouts in turf wars that I haven't actually done much playing at all with anybody here yet. I'm still working up to a point where I feel like I'm not a total detriment to any squad or room I join. :p

Also I still need to get onto Discord. I fired it up and reserved Doorman as a name on there too, but haven't gotten any further in the process than that. Perhaps this weekend!

I think you've gotten nothing to worry about when it comes to detriment. You're on GAF, you're already better than most randoms people end up with otherwise haha.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
It probably isn't doorman, since I don't have him, maybe Emil does, and yeah Emil is mellopillow.

I've only ever seen him play Dynamo, but he is pretty good at it

Nah I don't know who Clive is either.
Dynamos are like, my sworn enemies if I'm a brush. They completely shut down brushes, which is why I must kill him every game

Doorman

I think you've gotten nothing to worry about when it comes to detriment. You're on GAF, you're already better than most randoms people end up with otherwise haha.
I like to tell myself that, but my rank and evaluation of my general in-game performance tend to differ. :p

I feel the same way about all rollers.

Rollers are my total nemesis when I'm running Sploosh. In those cases a trade seems to be the best-case scenario for me if I don't get outright beaten. Most any weapon with some distance, though, and handling them hasn't been too bad. Their forward mobility options are limited compared to other weapons of that effective range.

ChrisD

I like to tell myself that, but my rank and evaluation of my general in-game performance tend to differ. :p

Rollers are my total nemesis when I'm running Sploosh. In those cases a trade seems to be the best-case scenario for me if I don't get outright beaten. Most any weapon with some distance, though, and handling them hasn't been too bad. Their forward mobility options are limited compared to other weapons of that effective range.

I think the same as you a lot of times, but then you bave your S+ random run the RM into your base at minute 3 to try and flee just to die and cause a loss of a guaranteed win.

This may or may not have just happened. >_>

When you die while planting the Rainmaker, lol. Martyr'd victory.

i feel you pain.. what i hate the most is people that grab the rainmaker and are to much of a pansy to just charge forward with it to gain ground there all so scared of dying, screw dying just move the damn rainmaker forward lol

edit sorry for the rant just had a frustrating match where we would have won had the guy just swam across the ink i laid for him >.<

Luigi87

i feel you pain.. what i hate the most is people that grab the rainmaker and are to much of a pansy to just charge forward with it to gain ground there all so scared of dying, screw dying just move the damn rainmaker forward lol

edit sorry for the rant just had a frustrating much were we would have won had the guy just swam across the ink i laid for him >.<

I've had that happen. Actually even made a path + we splat'd their whole team, but I guess the person holding the Rainmaker didn't notice the latter and didn't move forward.

ChrisD

PERSONAL VICTORY ACHIEVED
In a 3v4 Rainmaker, we held them off for the full five minutes while they had it by our goal the whole time. They zerg rushed it straight in, and we just denied.

Also my luck with S+ on my side on Rainmaker never works. They always go negative lol.

Edit: I am DONE for the night, it's all downhill from here -- Just had a RM match on Mall where we brought it into their side, they took and ran all the way to our pedestal. I killed them, and popped the bubble. Set up a path up our ramp, and through the corridors while calling C'mon. The holder got what I was doing and followed. I killed two attempted assassins, we ran it into their base. We tried to climb the pedestal time and time again, just to outdistance their five left, but it wouldn't happen! Finally, after a minute straight of sheer chaos, battles, and clutch survivals to allow team mates a Super Hop into the enemy's base, we won through KO!

I can't describe how great that match was. It was SO. GOOD. :D

Top Bottom